They Let us out of the Basement: Our postponed trip from NY to Clearwater to Disney World is finally happening

toodycat

DIS Veteran
Our last Disney vacation was in August 2018. After that, we did some travel to England and to visit family and friends in PA, FL and DE and then COVID-19 hit in early 2020 and we hunkered down in our home, reporting to work on Zoom or Google Meet, Pelotoning or playing video games in the basement, baking sourdough bread and fancy cakes, reading books and watching a whole lot of television. We are past due for a family vacation and all of us were missing Walt Disney World. We planned three trips to the World in the last two years and all of them were canceled—-twice because my doctor felt the risk was too great for someone with my medical history and once because I herniated a disk in my back.

About us: (Mike and Jane) We have been married for nearly 35 years and have a son (Jake) who just turned 28. Our little family of 3 has been visiting Walt Disney World, Disneyland or taking Disney cruises almost every year since 2001. You could say that Jake grew up a Disney kid. However, with circumstances as they were for the past two years, we have not ventured out of our home, except for necessary tasks, because of COVID. I am a teacher and retired in June after 32 years. (This was earlier than I wanted, but pandemic education was no fun for teachers or kids.) Jake was furloughed from his IT job in NYC during COVID and is now working in retail and contemplating a career change. Mike is an IT consultant and has spent the last three years working from his office in out basement.

Mike Jake and I each have a certain role in the Disney dynamic. I research and plan the vacation in terms of flights, resorts and dates. Mike is our logistics manager, keeping track of what time things need to get done, how far one attraction is from another, the best touring plan and anything else practical and efficient. Jake is our historian. He is full of Disney trivia and little known facts. He also has eyes like a hawk and can pick out Hidden Mickeys and Easter eggs better than anyone I know.

So, here we are vaxxed, boosted, masked and ready to do Disney for the first time since 2018.
(Please no negativity on our precautions. I have several health issues that are extremely serious.)
Everything was more or less paid for in advance because of credit from our previous cancellations. But one thing is so much better. Because I have retired, we don’t have to travel during school vacation. In fact, this is our first trip to WDW in May ever! I’ve never seen the Epcot Flower Show before and I’m really excited.
Lodging: We’ll be staying a two-bedroom savanna view at AKL Jambo House, one of my very favorite resorts. We like renting DVC points, so we can get a bigger space to spread out and because we prefer to make our own breakfast every morning.

Park Reservations/Dining:
Day 1: Hollywood Studios, QS Lunch, Dinner at Morimoto in Disney Springs
Day 2: Magic Kingdom, QS Lunch, Dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe, Fireworks Dessert Party
Day 3: Epcot, Lunch at the Flower show stands, Dinner at Tokyo Dining (We love Japanese food.)
Day 4: Magic Kingdom QS Lunch Dinner in Tampa before we catch our flight home from TPA.

But wait, you’re going to be in Florida?”
Those of you with family in Florida have certainly heard those words. They are usually followed by “And while you’re in Central Florida, why not stop and see us? We only live X hours away.” So since Mike’s family lives in Clearwater and since we have not seen them since 2019, we decided to split the trip between Clearwater Beach and Disney World. We’ll be staying at an Airbnb in Clearwater Beach, trying out some restaurants in Clearwater Beach and Dunedin and visiting St. Pete and Fort De Soto. If you’re wondering why I’m including that part off our vacation, I often see people ask for recommendations about beaches close to Walt Disney World so, I thought: why don’t I report on Clearwater Beach too, so readers can see what it’s like. We just arrived in Clearwater and I’m writing this from our Airbnb. We were up at 4:00 a.m. to make a 7:00 a.m. flight, so I’m kind of tired and running out of things to say, but follow along if you our trip interests you. Here are some pictures of us. I don’t know why Mike and Jake keep coming out sideways.
Expect some Clearwater news tomorrow and Wednesday and then we’ll be at WDW Thursday-Friday.

Attachments

• 4DFD2425-6DE9-49A0-9FE7-0033F6D3E55A.jpeg
    4DFD2425-6DE9-49A0-9FE7-0033F6D3E55A.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 12
  • CABB6D03-DB7E-411D-80F2-CB759BB94E2B.jpeg
    CABB6D03-DB7E-411D-80F2-CB759BB94E2B.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 08C2422E-6287-4D2A-ADF3-1686D9C7C01B.jpeg
    08C2422E-6287-4D2A-ADF3-1686D9C7C01B.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to Clearwater Beach and Sandy Feet Retreat!

Yesterday, we left our house at 4:30 am to drive to JFK for a 7 am flight to Tampa. Delta had canceled our original flight which left at 11 am. The flight was on time and we arrived at 10. We didn’t check any bags, so our first stop was Hertz. We expected to see our name up on the display board with a space number as is usually the case for Gold members. Instead, we were directed to the area labeled “Gold” and told to choose any car. That struck me as peculiar since the cars were all very different. However, we were able to find the type of SUV we reserved and were off my pick up Mike’s mother and take her to lunch. We ate at Bon Appetit in Dunedin because it is her favorite restaurant. The view is lovely, and we’re always glad to make Mom happy, but I will warn you that lunch for 4 was $160 and we had no appetizers, no drinks—not even soda—-, and no desserts.

After lunch, we dropped my MIL off, stopped at Publix for groceries and checked into our Airbnb. Wow! The rental is called Sandy Feet Retreat and it is perfect for us—-a three bedroom, two bath condo with full kitchen, separate dining, area, large living room and plenty of storage. There’s a private balcony with a view of the water. You have the same view from the living room and master bedroom. The building is walking distance to the beach and is equipped with beach chairs and a wagon. The cleaning service had jusf come through, so everything was spotless. Here are some pictures of Sandy Feet Retreat:

Attachments

• BC5C3780-B857-424D-AE97-61F2548AE904.jpeg
    BC5C3780-B857-424D-AE97-61F2548AE904.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 8
  • 3C55B768-B0BD-491E-A450-BE8B5A312F33.jpeg
    3C55B768-B0BD-491E-A450-BE8B5A312F33.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 26FC4D4F-6F79-4D69-BF63-8CA665BDE27C.jpeg
    26FC4D4F-6F79-4D69-BF63-8CA665BDE27C.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 7
  • E989C31A-2AC6-41DF-AE6F-B7B164C6F386.jpeg
    E989C31A-2AC6-41DF-AE6F-B7B164C6F386.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 6
  • A39CA45B-134B-4996-859E-D1538094F1CE.jpeg
    A39CA45B-134B-4996-859E-D1538094F1CE.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 6
  • D4D0A0DE-09C6-4518-9D39-B375A9F1C847.jpeg
    D4D0A0DE-09C6-4518-9D39-B375A9F1C847.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 6
  • 411637A6-C1A3-445E-B1F9-A8197250EAD2.jpeg
    411637A6-C1A3-445E-B1F9-A8197250EAD2.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7
Cesare on the Beach

For dinner, we headed to Cesare at the Beach. If you are in Clearwater Beach, don’t miss the top-notch Italian food this restaurant serves. We live on Long Island where Italian restaurants are numerous and competition is tight. A mediocre one will just go out of business. Cesare at the Beach is an absolute 10/10 from this New Yorker. We ate outdoors and there’s a lovely view of the Sand Key bridge. Jacob had the mozzarella appetizer with tomato and basil. The cheese was fresh, soft and rich. For an entree, he had the pasta carbonara and it was extraordinary. The prosciutto was so flavorful and smoky. I had a salad and the grouper francese. The salad was generous and fresh and the local grouper was extraordinary. The waiter mentioned that it was a popular choice and I can see why. Mike had the linguine al frutti di mare. He is a connoisseur of pasta and seafood dishes and could not say enough good things about it. Sadly, no one had room for dessert.

I'm going to pick this up and write it as a completed trip report. Unfortunately, I'm having tech issues uploading my photos. See ya real soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter