Mouseketeer
Cast:
Christy (me), 33, key trip planner,loves Disney
David, DH, 33, not quite a Disney enthusiast
Katja, DD, 4, loves Disney almost as much as Mom
Annika, DD, 18 months, loves everything
Nana, my mother
Grandpa, my father

After retrieving our bags at the airport, we headed to the rental car counters. I had eserved 2 cars, both through Priceline, to accomodate our large party. One car was a Lincoln Towncar (Budget, $22/day, 17 days), and the other was a Mitsibishi (National, $10/day, 5 days). At Budget were assigned a car, while at National we were able to pick out our own (within the compact category)--cool!

Once we retrieved the cars we caravaned to our first destination--Dixie Landings! As we pulled into the DxL drive I was very impressed. I caught glimpses of the mansions and Sassougla river--beautiful! We pulled up to the lobby entrance and piled out of the car. Beautiful poinsettas were everywhere, and inside the lobby was just gorgeous. The Christmas decorations included yards of big, fat garlands just dripping with holly, beads, and baubles. Katja ran around excitedly, absolutely thrilled when she found the kid-sized rocking chairs in front of the big TV playing Disney movies.

Five days prior to check-in I had faxed the room controller @ DxL to request rooms on the first floor of Building 14. My mother suffers from congestive heart failure and is also currently undergoing radiation therapy for breast cancer, so it was important to minimize walking distances. We got the requests, and the room was ready, so we drove the cars to Blg. 14. In terms of accessability, the room was great (very close to everything, including the parking lot and car). Of course, the downside was the room did not feel that it was really part of the entire Dixie ambiance--you were not immersed in the theming of the whole place.

The room itself was very nice. Not very big, but very cute, with rustic furnishings and that attention to detail that is the mark of Disney.

After Mom and Dad were settled we all walked over to the food court for lunch. My parents were not thrilled with the choices, so we decided to try a sit-down meal at Boatwrights--no luck, not open for lunch. Back to the food court, where we made due with sandwiches and pizza, which I thought were not that bad. Mom and Dad got their refillable mugs (and they certainly got their money's worth with those!). Following lunch we said our good-byes and Mom and Dad went to their room for a long nap. David, the girls, and I took off for MOWC and, later, MVMCP. Amazingly enough, Annika was still going strong, even with only an hour of sleep the night before!

The Marriott Orlando World Center is not too far from Dixie Landings, but not on Disney property. It is a huge, towering complex, surrounded by a golf course and palm-lined drive. I had snagged a room there for $60.00 through PriceLine (rooms normally run about $200). The place was absolutely top-notch. A beautifully appointed lobby, well-appointed rooms, amenities galore, huge swiming pools! Katja was mesmerized by the glass elevator that zzomed up and down the exterior of the buidling. We had a bell hop help schlepp our junk to the room, ordered a crib for Annika (which arrived promptly), then sacked out for a much needed nap.

Next--Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

2belles'mom

[This message was edited by 2belles'mom on 01-06-01 at 12:51 AM.]

Those mugs really do save money dont they. Its hard to think of spending all that money on a cup at first, then you realize the savings! I'm glad you got a deal on your room. The Marriott chain has always been a favorite of mine.

hipgrl1.gif
<FONT COLOR=Red> Co-Chat Mistress</font>
<FONT COLOR=Red>Instructional Chat Co-Host
</FONT>
<font color=Blue> Co-Moderator Trip Reports Board</font> <font color=green>http://www.wdwinfo.com/merchandise/index.shtml</font>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter