The Silly and Mischievous Canucks do Christmas - Dec 2015 PTR - Update 12/13

I've seen pictures before of the Banff area and it is was on my list of places I really want to see sometime! Your pictures just added to my desire to do so! :love:

The drive would elicit PTSD though. Winter driving is not my fave.

No, I'm not a huge fan of winter driving either. I'm a little nervous about our drive to the Toronto airport in the middle of the night for this December trip and that is down a fairly flat highway. December weather here is entirely a matter of chance. Sometimes it is really cold and snowy and sometimes it is balmy warm! I remember when we picked Erich up in Toronto a few years ago after his Disney internship, the weather was so bad and we saw tractor trailers that had slid off the road. Scary!

Wonderful pix Lessa !! Couldn't do it myself but I appreciate the photos you took !!

Believe me, I can barely do these hikes. :laughing:

FP+ day is coming up next week. I'm a little nervous about it as it is something that is totally new to me and I don't want to screw it up and "ruin" our trip plans. My understanding is that you can make FP+ reservations at midnight on booking day and that you don't need to wait until 6am like you do with ADR's?

Looking at the Animal Kingdom choices I will obviously pick the safari and Everest but what is the smartest choice for the third? Dinosaur? Festival of the Lion King?

Epcot has the annoying tier system. Soarin will be our pick from the first group. Can't imagine why Living with the Land is in that group? From the second group I really don't think we need fast passes for any of those attractions but I suppose I have to choose two... Perhaps Spaceship Earth and the Character Meet and Greet?

Hollywood studios is another tiered park. This choice is a little more straight forward. Toy Story Mania from tier 1 and Star Tours and Tower of Terror from the second tier.

Magic Kingdom is the trickiest as there are so many rides there that we would want fast passes for. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is the only obvious choice for us as it is the highest demand and we have never been on it. Splash Mountain will be my second choice. I think I will try for Anna and Elsa for our third choice but I'm not keeping my hopes up for that one. If I don't land A+E I will grab Big Thunder fastpasses.

Any comments on my preliminary choices? Do you think I would be better off going with something different? Any tips for booking day that will help me land what I want?

FP+ day is coming up next week. I'm a little nervous about it as it is something that is totally new to me and I don't want to screw it up and "ruin" our trip plans. My understanding is that you can make FP+ reservations at midnight on booking day and that you don't need to wait until 6am like you do with ADR's?
Correct! ::yes::

Epcot has the annoying tier system.
Ugh, tell me about it! Hate it! >:(

Any comments on my preliminary choices? Do you think I would be better off going with something different? Any tips for booking day that will help me land what I want?
The best advice I know is to try for 7DMT and A+E as late in your trip as you can. (I'll be trying for 7DMT on our arrival day, and I'm already expecting it to be a catastrophe! :sad2:)

I think your FP+ selections sound great. I don't think anyone can actually go wrong with any choices truly. I'm lucky that I've also done a lot of the rides that were must do's for me at one time or another on previous trips, so I can now relax more about my choices and now go with what feels right at time. Now, if I've made a FP+ selection and don't feel like it at the time, I have no guilt about blowing it off. And, if there's a ride that I really feel that I need to do, I'm usually willing to wait in the stand by line, and do some people watching or reading to pass the time. And honestly, sometimes it depends on how much my feet are hurting and how much walking I want to do at that moment!

You are probably right that having been so many times we will be okay regardless of the FP+ situation. I just miss the old system of "early bird gets the worm".

The best advice I know is to try for 7DMT and A+E as late in your trip as you can. (I'll be trying for 7DMT on our arrival day, and I'm already expecting it to be a catastrophe! :sad2:)

We are out of luck there, our MK day is early in the trip. I suppose I can always try and get them for before the party...

And as a night owl, I love the FP+ system so that I can have some reserved times later in my day. Just think, night owls like me make it less crowded at RD for all you early birds! I have never made RD, maybe, just maybe, I might try it on my next trip. But likely only for 1 day.... :o

I laughed at this because I am a night owl as well, except on vacation! My body must know it is on vacation and works the opposite of what it usually does.

How exciting!! FP+ Day is coming!!!!!Wahooty! It'll be fun to see what you end up with for sure! Was hoping to be "here" more often, but well..... you know very well the Hell I'm living right now. ;)

THIS!!!! In my real life, I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate mornings! But when I'm at Disney, then I'm on DISNEY TIME and everything changes!!! :cutie:

Yep, that is definitely me except for any type of vacation I am like that. Always up bright and early, don't want to waste any time. I figure if I am paying to travel somewhere I want to make the most of it. If I wanted to laze around in bed I could just stay at home. ;)

How exciting!! FP+ Day is coming!!!!!Wahooty! It'll be fun to see what you end up with for sure! Was hoping to be "here" more often, but well..... you know very well the Hell I'm living right now. ;)

Yep, once the FP+ reservations are made the time will probably fly by. Here's hoping that my vacation request gets approved! :laughing: I'm sure it won't be a problem as technically I am "part-time" although I work full-time hours.

Yes, I definitely know your pain. You will probably think I am crazy but I sometimes miss nursing school. I must have a screw loose in my head. :scratchin

Looking at the Animal Kingdom choices I will obviously pick the safari and Everest but what is the smartest choice for the third? Dinosaur? Festival of the Lion King?

Epcot has the annoying tier system. Soarin will be our pick from the first group. Can't imagine why Living with the Land is in that group? From the second group I really don't think we need fast passes for any of those attractions but I suppose I have to choose two... Perhaps Spaceship Earth and the Character Meet and Greet?

Hollywood studios is another tiered park. This choice is a little more straight forward. Toy Story Mania from tier 1 and Star Tours and Tower of Terror from the second tier.

Magic Kingdom is the trickiest as there are so many rides there that we would want fast passes for. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is the only obvious choice for us as it is the highest demand and we have never been on it. Splash Mountain will be my second choice. I think I will try for Anna and Elsa for our third choice but I'm not keeping my hopes up for that one. If I don't land A+E I will grab Big Thunder fastpasses.

I would go with Dinasaur for AK , as if you arrive early enough at FOTLK you will gat a seat, maybe not a prime location but a seat.
I definitely would go with SE as it has become busier since FP+ ??? The Character Great is a good second one or should I say third as I am sure Soarin is in there . For TT you can do the Single rider line and it is fairly quick. For DHS I would use one for the Frozen Show rather than Star Tours ,I do recall us being able to get right on it without to much of a wait . But Frozen Show FORGET it without a FP+. You are right about MK. We always go to the left when we start touring in the A.M. we hit Jungle Cruise first and if not on the first boat are on the second , then on to POTC which is another walk on that time of day, which should put you at Splash and Thunder around 9:45a. We even did walk ons for Tikki room and Aladdin.

I'm sitting in the Calgary airport right now catching up on Dis news as I wait for my connecting flight back home. I had a great trip and I will share some pictures in a bit but first lets talk WDW!

So, while I was on vacation it looks as though Disney officially announced that this is the last year for the Osbourne Lights. This is not that unexpected given all the changes coming and the construction needed to bring them about. I am really glad that we decided to book this trip since it will be our last chance to see these lights and I have been wanting to see them for years.

I also saw that Disney will be having a "Merry and Bright Dessert Party" with reserved viewing for the lights. I was really tempted to book it but I just don't think I can justify the price. $69 a person for some desserts, yikes! I am sure this will be a great experience for some but I think we will skip it and enjoy the lights with the crowds.

So happy that I get to do this one last time!

Your pics are amazing. There's nothing like that around here.

748598965_216848.gif

Wishing everyone in Canada a Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter