The Silly and Mischievous Canucks do Christmas - Dec 2015 PTR - Update 12/13

It was quite surprising to us as well. I was really surprised that we were not informed while on the flight, nor were we told as we ran to our gate. Even some of the airport staff were unaware of the scope of the cancellations. What was really upsetting was the BA employee on the floor performing crowd control close to the customer service counter who, when my daughter asked her a question, said "It's not my job to help you." Of course, that remark was reported to my jet lagged self by my jet lagged sleep deprived drama queen teenaged daughter, so we chalk up the experience as a travel experience. The only regret that I have was that I should have treated us to a feast at the London hotel, because it ended up being covered by travel insurance. We didn't get a chance to see the sights, but Italy was eventually very beautiful, but also very cold. We hit a freak winter storm system throughout Italy that March. Blizzard in Venice, and very cold everywhere else. We were watching the news at our hotel, and there was a lot of ice storms in Great Britain and the first snowy Easter in Germany in over 50 years, so the weather was rough all over. Luckily through the airport issue DH was home, and got a hold of the travel agency, who found us some flights out the next day.
The funniest thing about it was that to us, used to putting up with winter blizzards, was that they cancelled flights in London because it was raining? :headache:

Oh yikes. We were pretty lucky with our weather. We were there for two weeks at the end of March/early April in order to spend Easter with my stepmother's family. We had a few chilly days but for the most part the weather was great. Last time I was in Italy it was the beginning of July and I thought we were all going to melt and get heat stroke.

I hope you had an amazing vacation anyways despite the cold. I absolutely adore Italy and could spend a lifetime traveling around the country and still not get enough of it.

So we would clear US customs in Toronto rather than Orlando? That would be convenient!

Yup at the major Canadian have US Customs pre Clarence. So when you leave from one of them you take all your bags with you through customs and then drop them off before going through security. Then when you arrive in Orlando you will be in one of the domestic terminals instead of an international one.

Yup at the major Canadian have US Customs pre Clarence. So when you leave from one of them you take all your bags with you through customs and then drop them off before going through security. Then when you arrive in Orlando you will be in one of the domestic terminals instead of an international one.

That's awesome. I'm glad you are reading along and have such great info. We have always flown from Syracuse in the past and dealt with the land border crossing so this is a new experience.

It is so hard to make plans with crowds, FP+, food, etc.

We have never done Yak & Yeti counter service, but eat at the table service often. We really like the food there.

Your plans sound great. Animal Kingdom has quickly moved up to be our second favorite park (when Food & Wine isn't going on at least).

I hope you try to see at least Festival of the Lion King or Finding Nemo while you are there.

I'm not sure where the characters have all gone. I know Daisy took over where Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore used to meet, but I hear she is now gone. Pluto and Goofy are always in Dinoland as is Donald. I'm not sure where Mickey & Minnie are, but I know we have a FP+ to see them next month.

Hello fellow Canuck!! Your plans look amazing!! And how awesome it will be to escape from winter for a while!! Good call flying from Toronto (not that I'm biased or anything lol) but that drive around Kingston into upstate NY can be really hairy in winter...wouldn't want to risk it. Loving reading about all your plans!

It is so hard to make plans with crowds, FP+, food, etc.

Tell me about it. My biggest struggle was deciding when to do our MK day. There are only two days where the park is open regular hours with Wishes and MSEP. The rest of the days were all short days as MK was closing early for MVMCP. So I had to decide if we wanted a "full" day at MK so we could see Wishes and the parade or if we should settle for a shorter day and miss those nighttime shows and just be satisfied with the Christmas parade and fireworks at the party. I adore Wishes so it was a tough decision for me. I am really averse to crowds and EMH and to go on a "regular" day meant mega crowds because both had EMH and because of people like me who wanted to go for the longer day and for the shows. You will have to wait to find out what I decided upon! ;)

We have never done Yak & Yeti counter service, but eat at the table service often. We really like the food there.

I am sure the rest of the family will love Yak & Yeti. I am on the fence about it. My face is next to the definition of picky eater in the dictionary. :laughing:

I hope you try to see at least Festival of the Lion King or Finding Nemo while you are there.

FOTL is definitely on our list, we love it. Nemo is one of those "if we have time" shows. We like it but we don't love it.

Hello fellow Canuck!! Your plans look amazing!! And how awesome it will be to escape from winter for a while!! Good call flying from Toronto (not that I'm biased or anything lol) but that drive around Kingston into upstate NY can be really hairy in winter...wouldn't want to risk it. Loving reading about all your plans!

:welcome: Always nice to have another Canadian along for the crazy trip planning ride!

It will be nice to escape from winter especially if it is anything like these past two winters. :sad2: I like looking at snow through a window while warm and cozy inside. I do not like shoveling it, driving in it, or spending extensive time walking around in the bitter cold. I was spoiled by spending too many of my childhood years living in California, Victoria and Virginia Beach aka the lands of no snow and temps that rarely went below freezing. I made an exception with my winter dislike when mom and I did a trip to Quebec City last December. I still disliked the bitter cold but the city was extra magical because of the snow so I didn't mind it so much. :laughing:

It is funny because I never thought I would fly to the States from Canada because it is usually MUCH more expensive but not so this time so it works out! I wish there was a better direct flight from Ottawa though... Ottawa is only 1 1/2 hours away from us while Toronto is 2 1/2-3 hours depending on traffic.

That's awesome. I'm glad you are reading along and have such great info. We have always flown from Syracuse in the past and dealt with the land border crossing so this is a new experience.
No problem Toronto is my home town and when I flew out for Disney trips I always used person. Plus Buffalo isn't really an option because I don't drive.

I saw your response on my TR and I was so happy to see you on the boards again! So of course I had to click on your link. I would have seen it sooner, but I don't check the PTR boards too often and I was also absent for a little while due to my last trip in May. :) I'm following along! I definitely miss all the antics.

I saw your response on my TR and I was so happy to see you on the boards again! So of course I had to click on your link. I would have seen it sooner, but I don't check the PTR boards too often and I was also absent for a little while due to my last trip in May. :) I'm following along! I definitely miss all the antics.

Hi Danielle! Thanks for coming over! I have been assured that their will be hijinks galore on this trip. I think Alek and Erich are incapable of being serious for too long.

Park Plans Part Two

On our second park day we are headed to the Magic Kingdom!

I struggled a lot with this decision. The park will be closing early this day for the Christmas Party which means no Electrical Parade and no Wishes. I love both of those nighttime shows. My alternate day to visit the Magic Kingdom would have been the following day as it is open later and has both those shows scheduled. Problem is that the park will be really busy as it is one of the few days we are there where there is no party so people will want to go for the longer hours and the nighttime shows AND there are PM EMH scheduled. Do I really want to face the crowds for Wishes and the parade? I pondered getting park hoppers so we could go somewhere else during the day and just hop over in the evening but we are not really a park hopping family. We like to do one park a day and save the hopper money for something else. So, I asked the family if they would mind missing Wishes and MSEP. They all said they wouldn't mind since we will be going to the Christmas Party later in the week and will have the Christmas Parade and Holiday Wishes. And so the decision was made to make this our MK day.

Hopefully crowds will be fairly light and we will be able to pack lots of stuff into the day.

I can't wait to see MK all decked out for Christmas!

(All pictures in the update were taken by Erich on his CP)

I just love the wreaths on Main Street and I just may have to get myself some Christmas Ears!

Aside from the Christmas stuff our main focus will be New Fantasyland. Erich is the only one who has experienced it and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train had not opened yet while he was there so that will be new for him as well.

I am going to try and get a lunch ADR for BOG

Might have to try some of Lefou's Brew at Gaston's Tavern

And we will, of course, have to check out the new rides and attractions.

I love everything I have seen of New Fantasyland. It is so pretty and I can't wait to be there in person!

In the evening I am very much looking forward to seeing the Castle all lit up. It will be amazing!

The park closes at 7 this night for the party so I might try and get an ADR for The Plaza for right around that time. That way we don't spend park time on eating dinner. I briefly considered CRT but I don't think I can stomach the $70 per person price tag. Alternatively I might try for an ADR at Chef Mickey's or 1900 Park Fare and then we can check out the monorail resorts. I think dinner with the stepsisters would be hilarious but Alek and Erich said they remember preferring the food at Chef Mickey's. The most economical option is The Plaza but it is not as much fun as a character meal. We will have to decide if we prefer to economize or splurge on characters.

As far as FP+ for this day the one obvious choice is 7DMT. Not sure about the others. Splash Mountain? Big Thunder? Space? Anna and Elsa? :confused3 I can think on that later!

Last edited:
Good call on the MK day here. We have a similar dilemma in October with the halloween party. EasyWDW still recommends going to the MK because the crowds are expected to be lighter...I hope that's true for both of us!! You will love NFL!! I'm hoping for an FP+ for Anna/Elsa too..hopefully they won't be THAT hard to get!!! Your pic of the castle lit up at night is so pretty...I hope to see that too...during the halloween party lol...

Good call on the MK day here. We have a similar dilemma in October with the halloween party. EasyWDW still recommends going to the MK because the crowds are expected to be lighter...I hope that's true for both of us!! You will love NFL!! I'm hoping for an FP+ for Anna/Elsa too..hopefully they won't be THAT hard to get!!! Your pic of the castle lit up at night is so pretty...I hope to see that too...during the halloween party lol...

Yep, here's hoping for light crowds and that I get over the disappointment of not getting to see Wishes. :laughing:

Well, things just got interesting. I just did something silly and picked up a shift at work on Tuesday aka ADR day. Here's hoping that I can get the ADR's that I want between 6-6:30 and that there are no issues with the website. Couldn't turn down the shift though, that's several hundred more Disney dollars!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: for more Disney dollars.

I think you made the right call on MK if you aren't park hoppers. Personally, we are not fans of the food at Chef Mickey's for dinner and haven't yet tried 1900 Park Fare for dinner (only breakfast thus far there). I'd go with the Plaza or 1900 Park Fare.

You definitely want the FP+ for the Mine Ride (try to get it later in the day when it is getting dark...it's so much fun at night.

I think you made the right call on MK if you aren't park hoppers. Personally, we are not fans of the food at Chef Mickey's for dinner and haven't yet tried 1900 Park Fare for dinner (only breakfast thus far there). I'd go with the Plaza or 1900 Park Fare.

Mom and I did really like The Plaza the one time we are there. I think the antics at 1900 would be so funny. I have read lots of great things about the characters there ever since the step-family started appearing vs the mice. Gah! Decisions decisions.

You definitely want the FP+ for the Mine Ride (try to get it later in the day when it is getting dark...it's so much fun at night.

I can't wait to try it. I think my strategy will be to get fastpasses for the afternoon/evening hours. Since we will be showing up for rope drop we can probably, based on past experiences before FP+, do fairly short standby for Space and Buzz and several others before the crowds build-up especially as this is supposed to be a "low crowd" day.

Just a note they don't have that garland and wreaths on main street anymore. Last year they just had stuff hanging off the buildings. It's mostly due to the festival of fantasy parade having floats that can't fit under it.

Well that is disappointing! I thought that the garlands and wreaths made Main Street extra magical. Hopefully this new parade is spectacular to compensate for the loss. Oh well, I'm sure the park will look great all dressed up for Christmas regardless.

You still should be ok with ADR day etc...though I totally understand your worry. I will be busy on our FP+ day and not sure when I will fit that in either...and I worry I won't be able to get Anna/Elsa for my DD...sigh. I'm not sure if ADR's go as fast as rides? Who knows...crossing fingers for you.

You still should be ok with ADR day etc...though I totally understand your worry. I will be busy on our FP+ day and not sure when I will fit that in either...and I worry I won't be able to get Anna/Elsa for my DD...sigh. I'm not sure if ADR's go as fast as rides? Who knows...crossing fingers for you.

I hope so, my first priority will be the Be Our Guest lunch since I have heard that is the hardest to get. After that not sure what priority order we will go in. One of the nights we hope to do the Candlelight Processional dinner packages and since those aren't even available to book yet that is one less thing to worry about on Tuesday morning.

Park Plans Part Three

This was the day I had originally considered for the Magic Kingdom before getting scared off by the crowds. :laughing:

Instead we are going to:

The crowds should be pretty good here today as Epcot had EMH the day before and lots of people are going to want to go to the Magic Kingdom for the long park hours and nighttime parade and fireworks.

With FP+ now in the mix I think we are going to change our approach to morning at Epcot. Traditionally we go with the rest of the herd and head straight to Soarin at rope drop. Since we will probably already have a FP for Soarin, instead, I am thinking we will head straight to Test Track. Since Epcot has tiering I can't choose both Test Track and Soarin for FP which would be ideal. Instead we will FP the ride I know everybody will want to go on. Erich may take some convincing to go on Test Track. He hasn't been on it with us before but maybe he got brave during his CP? Not sure what he is afraid of as we drive faster on the highway? :confused3

We will probably also go over to The Seas Pavilion

We haven't seen Turtle Talk since our trip in 07 so maybe we will go watch it again. I remember it as being cute and funny.

We might go to Character Spot, really depends on the line and the time. We are always open to character meets if the lines are reasonable! That being said we will probably run into lots of cute characters in World Showcase.

Our main focus since this is a Christmas time trip is going to be World Showcase and the holiday activities in the different countries.

We will want to see the various Holiday Storytellers and any other holiday shows/performances such as Voices of Liberty singing Christmas Carols!

No big plans for lunch, we will probably just grab snacks from different pavilions.

Cloudberry Horn! Yum!

We will hopefully head to Italy for dinner. Side note: I miss the real Italy. It has only been two months since my last trip and I already want to go back!

My hope is to get a Candlelight Processional dining package for Via Napoli. That is why we don't have big plans for lunch, we are going to be stuffed silly with dinner. My understanding is that the package comes with an appetizer, entree and a dessert plus a non-alcoholic beverage for around the price of $50 or so per person. That is a lot of food! Also, looking at the menu prices for individual items $50 is not that bad considering what we would be getting. The dining package gets you guaranteed seating at a designated CP performance that day. Also in past years it got you into a reserved viewing spot for Illuminations. I want to do this package as I have heard that it is very difficult to get into the CP without it and it requires standing in line for hours, no thanks!

Erich is the only one to have seen this before and he was very lucky with his narrator.

Yep, Neil Patrick Harris!

It would be amazing if we got somebody like NPH as our narrator but I plan on going no matter who the narrator is.

The narrator list has not been released yet and the dining packages haven't yet either so I suppose I will make a regular ADR for this night and then book the dining package once they finally get released. Does anybody have any idea when these might be released? I am a wee bit impatient. :rolleyes1

To finish off the night we will have to watch Illuminations with the Holiday add-on at the end.

I will have to do some more research and come up with a more detailed list of things I want to see and do this day but for now this is our general plan.

Any suggestions for Holiday activities at Epcot? Tips for CP?

Last edited:
Great plan for Epcot so far. The tiering makes it really difficult to decide on your FP+....That candlelight processional sounds awesome...but...I don't think I'd want to stand and wait for hours for it either...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter