The Silly and Mischievous Canucks do Christmas - Dec 2015 PTR - Update 12/13

The room was booked, mom was on board with the plan and now I just had to introduce the idea to Alek and Erich. I wasn't sure if they would want to come on the trip or not. I was planning to go even if they didn't want to. You are probably wondering why on earth they would turn down a trip to Disney?! Well, there are a few reasons.

1. We have a few trips already planned for the next year or so. We are going to Ohio this summer to visit our family, then in the fall we are going out to British Columbia to visit our Dad and then next spring Alek and I will be taking off to Turkey with our dad for at least two weeks. With all these trips in mind I wasn't sure that Alek and Erich would want to take this extra vacation time or if they could afford it.

2. They have stated in the past that they did not want to go back to Florida until there were several new things to experience at WDW/Universal. The original plan was to wait for Avatarland to be completed at Animal Kingdom. That would mean there would be tons of new stuff for us since our last visit: New Fantasyland, Frozen ride at Epcot, Avatarland and the new nighttime show at AK, new Downtown Disney and who knows what else!! At Universal there would be Diagon Alley and the new King Kong ride. The reason they feel that way is that they want to keep things fresh so that every trip is special instead of the same thing every trip. This is especially true for Erich since he was lucky enough to spend 6 months living and working at WDW back in 2012.

So, with those things in mind I presented the idea of this December trip fully believing that they would say they weren't interested. As an incentive to them I told them that I would be covering the hotel cost for the family so they would just need to cover their flight, park tickets and food. Mom also suggested that if we went on the trip as a family that it be our Christmas present to each other and just do small presents on Christmas Day. I told them that since we were going in December we would have all the Christmas activities that would be new to us except for Erich who experienced them during his DCP so we would be keeping with their wishes of experiencing new things...

So what was their reaction to going on this trip after all of that?

Oh my lord, I am :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:. How I've missed their antics. So the trip is on with all four of you. :thumbsup2

A Dilemma

Right now we are booked to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. We love the Wilderness Lodge and it is supposed to be absolutely beautiful at Christmas. I am now waffling about staying there though as there are rumours that a huge construction project is going to be starting there in September. It has not been officially announced by Disney but all the paperwork has been submitted to the city. I'm not sure I want to stay there if the resort is going to be all torn up. Looking at the plans that were submitted the lobby and inner courtyard should be untouched but I can't know that for certain! Also part of the proposed plans is a relocation of Artist Point and expansion of Roaring Forks...

So, given these rumours I have been looking at what other resorts I can book with my pin code. My main requirement is a great Christmas atmosphere. That led me to the Grand Floridian. I can get a room at the GF with my code but it would mean spending several hundred more dollars. The money is not a deal breaker but it is a consideration. The advantages to the GF are that the rooms are recently refurbed, the monorail, lots of on-site eating, and the Christmas decorations here are also great!

I don't know what to do! Stay at the WL, a resort that we love, and which is cheaper, and risk the possible construction? Switch to the GF, a new resort for us, a resort we could not afford without the pin, and be 100% safe construction?

What to do, what to do! I have to make my mind up soon as I don't want to lose the code! I also can't wait until September to see if the construction actually happens as the code has to be used by Aug 6th, assuming that any rooms are even left at that point.

Last edited:
Oooh that's a tough one Lessa, the GF is beautiful at Christmas time and personally I prefer it over WL but do your brothers like it? David wouldn't stay there again saying he felt uncomfortable :rotfl2:

I can't help on that as we've never stayed at either one personally (and probably never will). But having visited both of them at Christmas time, they are both beautiful. I would go with you feel is the most comfortable for you.

I can't imagine you could go wrong with either resort. Looking forward to hearing about your plans as we are going the week before and this will be our first trip to WDW.

This is my answer. :cutie: That's a win/win all the way around, honestly.

:thumbsup2
Oooh that's a tough one Lessa, the GF is beautiful at Christmas time and personally I prefer it over WL but do your brothers like it? David wouldn't stay there again saying he felt uncomfortable :rotfl2:

:laughing: Too uppity for David? As a golfer you would think he would be used to being around "uppity" places and people. ;)

I ran this idea by my brothers a few days ago and they said I am the one paying so it is my decision. Just the way I like it! They say they trust me to plan a good vacation as I have not gone wrong yet.

I can't help on that as we've never stayed at either one personally (and probably never will). But having visited both of them at Christmas time, they are both beautiful. I would go with you feel is the most comfortable for you.

It was a hard decision as I loved staying at WL previously and I love the look of GF and the monorail.

I can't imagine you could go wrong with either resort. Looking forward to hearing about your plans as we are going the week before and this will be our first trip to WDW.

That is very true, both resorts are great!

After flip flopping back and forth and being incredibly indecisive I finally made a decision, for now! :laughing:

I went ahead and changed the reservation to the Grand Floridian. This is probably the only chance we will have to stay there as it has already been decided that on our next trip we will be staying at the Beach Club and who knows when we will return after that. It is also keeping with our plan of experiencing new things.

I do have to say though that I am not 100% committed to the GF. When I was waffling over changing resorts this afternoon I was eying up the Boardwalk but in the end the decorations at the GF and the monorail won out. The monorail will be great after the Christmas Party and our potential late EMH night at MK. It will also be great for Epcot.

I also went ahead and added an extra night so we will be arriving on the Sunday instead of the Monday. With that extra night added I now have less time to plan out my ADR's! Only 9 days left until booking opens!

Edited to add: and just over 12 hours later I changed my mind again! Scroll down to see my latest madness

Last edited:
I went ahead and changed the reservation to the Grand Floridian. This is probably the only chance we will have to stay there as it has already been decided that on our next trip we will be staying at the Beach Club and who knows when we will return after that. It is also keeping with our plan of experiencing new things.
Hooray! I love that you switched to the GF! I'm so super stinkin' jealous! :lovestruc

I do have to say though that I am not 100% committed to the GF. When I was waffling over changing resorts this afternoon I was eying up the Boardwalk but in the end the decorations at the GF and the monorail won out. The monorail will be great after the Christmas Party and our potential late EMH night at MK. It will also be great for Epcot.
No waffling! I forbid it! I need to stay at the GF vicariously through you, dangit! :laughing:

I also went ahead and added an extra night so we will be arriving on the Sunday instead of the Monday. With that extra night added I now have less time to plan out my ADR's! Only 9 days left until booking opens!
YAY for an extra night! That's awesome! OMG, our ADR days are soooo close! :hyper:

No waffling! I forbid it! I need to stay at the GF vicariously through you, dangit! :laughing:

Sorry, already changed! Hahaha, oh my gosh, I think I have a terrible disorder! Now we are at the Boardwalk. I decided to save a little bit of money since I am footing the hotel bill. I may even have been persuaded to stay WL except for there was no availability for the night I wanted to add. After thinking about it at work all night I decided that I should be more reasonable, especially with my Turkey trip also in the works and that will be $$$$$$ plus I am looking to buy a car and I have expensive tastes... The Boardwalk will still be nicely decorated and with the money I am "saving" we can spring for some nice extras, perhaps Cinderella's Royal Table? We will definitely be making trips to GF and WL though to check out the decorations, shop and eat.

I think it will be funny to look back at this PTR in six months and see how many changes I make to my plans.... Perhaps we should take bets!

Can you tell me where you saw the information about WL under construction? A friend of mine is planning to stay there the same time so I thought I would pass it along. Thanks!

Can you tell me where you saw the information about WL under construction? A friend of mine is planning to stay there the same time so I thought I would pass it along. Thanks!

I first saw the rumour on the WL FAQ thread on the resort board: http://disboards.com/threads/disney...ion-thread-2015.3372315/page-80#post-53759723

I believe that a seperate thread dedicated to the rumoured renevation was also started on the resorts board.

Right now it is just rumour and no official announcement but plans have been submitted to the city with a start date of September and there are currently a bunch of rooms on the ground floor that have been closed and gutted and a snoopy Diser investigated and stated it looks like they are staging it to show a sample DVC room which goes along with the rumour of bungalows being built.

:laughing: Too uppity for David? As a golfer you would think he would be used to being around "uppity" places and people. ;)
I know!!!! You'd think he'd be used to snobby places but nope :rotfl2: Me however.......... ;)

especially with my Turkey trip also in the works and that will be $$$$$$
What are you doing in Turkey? It's a pretty cheap place :)

Thinking about it I think the decorations at the GF will be more special if you're not staying there. When we stayed for 10 days in December 09 they were amazing to start with but lost their sparkle when we saw them several times a day so it's better to save your money :)

Thanks! I'll give my friend a heads-up. Hopefully most of the work would be during the day when they are out at the parks anyway, but it's always nice to know.

Following along!! I am so loving your trip! We are planning to be there the same time, but since we are transferring RCI into DVC, we have nothing booked at this time but am hoping for the first full week of December. We love all three of these resorts at Christmas, but I don't think I could have been as responsible as you:) I've dreamnt of staying at GF and if we could swing it on a code, I would be all over it!! Can't wait to read more!!

I know!!!! You'd think he'd be used to snobby places but nope :rotfl2: Me however.......... ;)

What are you doing in Turkey? It's a pretty cheap place :)

We are planning to go for around two weeks. Probably 5 days in Istanbul and then down to Cappadocia for a few days where we will probably stay in a cave hotel and go on a hot air balloon ride ($$$$). Then to Pammukale and Aphrodisias for a day or two. After that we will probably base ourselves out of Izmir and visit Ephesus and the other ancient sites on the Aegean Coast. We were also contemplating a trip to Rhodes since it is right off the coast. A rough estimate so far with nothing booked is around $4500 each. We are being generous with our budget with the hopes that it won't actually cost that much. We managed Italy for two weeks for $1800 each! That being said our plane tickets will probably be $1200. Depends what airline we fly as well. I loved flying British Airways when I went to Italy but that would mean a long layover in London but maybe that means we could have a meet! ;)

My dad suggested taking a full month and also going to Greece. My response to that was asking him what he was smoking to think that Alek and I would be able to take a whole month off of work. The luxury of being retired!:rolleyes:

Thinking about it I think the decorations at the GF will be more special if you're not staying there. When we stayed for 10 days in December 09 they were amazing to start with but lost their sparkle when we saw them several times a day so it's better to save your money :)

Good point! I sent an email out to the family to see what they would prefer BWI or GF. We will see what they decide... Right now though I am sticking with BWI.

Thanks! I'll give my friend a heads-up. Hopefully most of the work would be during the day when they are out at the parks anyway, but it's always nice to know.

Yep, I can't imagine there would be noise overnight. My main concerns were disturbance of the eating areas, potential parking issues and the grounds being torn up. I don't want to shell out good money for a construction zone.

Following along!! I am so loving your trip! We are planning to be there the same time, but since we are transferring RCI into DVC, we have nothing booked at this time but am hoping for the first full week of December. We love all three of these resorts at Christmas, but I don't think I could have been as responsible as you:) I've dreamnt of staying at GF and if we could swing it on a code, I would be all over it!! Can't wait to read more!!

We will see if I remain responsible! I have very poor will power. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter