• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The "REAL" Dole Whip

Olivia'sMom

Mouseketeer
I hear so much talk about dole whips. But there are so many different types of combination So what is the "real" dole whip? Is it just the pineapple ice cream or is it vanilla ice cream in pineapple juice or pineapple ice cream in pineapple juice?

I hear so much talk about dole whips. But there are so many different types of combination So what is the "real" dole whip? Is it just the pineapple ice cream or is it vanilla ice cream in pineapple juice or pineapple ice cream in pineapple juice?

It's pineapple soft serve (technically not ice cream). I don't even like pineapple, and it's my favorite snack there. So good on a hot day!

Dole Whip (TM) is the brand name for the soft serve dessert they sell at that stand and the Poly and a number of places across the contry. (Actually the new name is Dole Soft Serve but Disney hasn't changed the sign).

Most people when they say Dole Whip they mean the pineapple flavor by itself in a bowl.

As for the float, its gets a little vague. For the purest (Me) its pineapple in pineapple juice.

Which is why I get to eat all of its yummy goodness by myself since DH and the kiddos think it's too 'pineappley'.:thumbsup2

They get plain vanilla softserve...

Like my family. A new frozen yogurt place just opened up with 16 flavors and I told my son better not just get vanilla.

They do have a non dairy that I'm going to guess is Dole Whip but they only had mango and I just recently figured out I just don't like mango.

Dole Whip (TM) is the brand name for the soft serve dessert they sell at that stand and the Poly and a number of places across the contry. (Actually the new name is Dole Soft Serve but Disney hasn't changed the sign).

Most people when they say Dole Whip they mean the pineapple flavor by itself in a bowl.

As for the float, its gets a little vague. For the purest (Me) its pineapple in pineapple juice.

I am a purest also on the floats. :)

As I understand it, the original Dole Whip is some sort of frozen pineapple puree. It is supposed to be non-dairy so that would exclude ice cream / milk. So I would consider the real Dole Whip to be how it was originally made and not the soft-serve variations.

I first had it at the Dole Plantation in Hawaii but I guess it actually was created at Disneyland.

You realize you can make these things at home, right? It costs Disney close to 15 cents to make these things. What price do they charge?

All you need is to order the powder here:

http://www.unifiedenterprisescorp.com/products2.html

And get a soft serve machine off Amazon for anywhere from $20 to $100 depending on which brand you want.

Too bad about the minimum order of bags! That's a lot of dole whip! 16 bags x 24 = about $400

Better set up a dole whip stand in ur driveway.

The Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt franchise in my town carries the pineapple and orange. They're a little taste of Disney right here in Fabulous Central Illinois. :lovestruc

Too bad about the minimum order of bags! That's a lot of dole whip! 16 bags x 24 = about $400

Better set up a dole whip stand in ur driveway.

Nope. You can buy one bag for $25 plus shipping. You get a price break if you order 16 bags ($20 per bag).

dolewhip_zps1d182fe3.jpg

As I understand it, the original Dole Whip is some sort of frozen pineapple puree. It is supposed to be non-dairy so that would exclude ice cream / milk. So I would consider the real Dole Whip to be how it was originally made and not the soft-serve variations.

I first had it at the Dole Plantation in Hawaii but I guess it actually was created at Disneyland.

Maybe at one time a dole whip was once pineapple puree, but currently dole whip, now officially dole soft serve, is a lactose free soft serve dessert. The fruit flavors are now non dairy and vegan (they removed the small amount of sodium casenate). There are 7 total flavors.

The same product is sold at the plantation in Hawaii, in Disneyland, in Walt Disney world and at a number of ice cream shops around the Country.

mrsR123 said:
The Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt franchise in my town carries the pineapple and orange. They're a little taste of Disney right here in Fabulous Central Illinois. :lovestruc

Hey! That's my Orange Leaf! World of laughter, world of tears...

We went every day for a week when it opened, just for Dole Whip. We've backed off a bit since...

I would describe the taste most like pineapple sherbet soft serve. Would love to see them offer it with fresh fruit toppings, but as-is is good for me. I dont like the float much--artificial flavor plus real flavor doesnt work for me.

Hey! That's my Orange Leaf! World of laughter, world of tears...

We went every day for a week when it opened, just for Dole Whip. We've backed off a bit since...

I would describe the taste most like pineapple sherbet soft serve. Would love to see them offer it with fresh fruit toppings, but as-is is good for me. I dont like the float much--artificial flavor plus real flavor doesnt work for me.

Well, they just opened an Orange Leaf a mile from my house. I'll have to check it out.

Well, they just opened an Orange Leaf a mile from my house. I'll have to check it out.

I've looked at all our local froyo places (we have 5 in our town of 40k people!) and they all have a pineapple flavor froyo but none of them have actual Dole Whip. The pineapple froyo they all have is just not very good.

Special note for you people in New England: I was very surprised (and thrilled) earlier this summer when I was at Storyland in New Hampshire and I noticed that they have actual honest to goodness Dole Whip at Storyland!! It's in the ice cream stand by the train station toward the back of the park!

Whatttt???? I live twenty minutes from there! Do i have to pay to get in just to get one? LOL. My kids went there on a rec trip so we didn't go this year or last year.

The same product is sold at the plantation in Hawaii, in Disneyland, in Walt Disney world and at a number of ice cream shops around the Country.

We were happily surprised to find Dole Whips at VBR. :thumbsup2

Later,
Dan

I did not know that Dole Whips were lactose free which got me wondering what was in a Dole Whip....

I ain't the first person to search for the ingredients since Google had quite a few searches. Hmmm, I wonder what demographic is searching for the ingredients for Dole Whips? :confused3:rotfl2:

I kinda wish I had not searched but here is the list:
Sugar, Dextrose, Coconut Oil, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor (contains Pineapple Juice), Modified Food Starch, Malic Acid, Beta Carotene (Color), Mono & Diglycerides, Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).

Just add water. :lmao:

Its nutritional value is about 0 but it is only 72 calories for a 1/2 cup serving. ;)

http://www.precisionfoods.com/foodservice/product_detail.cfm?wpCatId=52568&skuId=795055

Later,
Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter