The One That Set the Bar SO High! WDW TR Aug '14

meghammy

Mouseketeer
Who Went: Myself, Dbf Jon, DBf's Parents Arlan and Lynn, and DBf's sister Megan
When We Went: July 30- August 9, 2014
Where We Stayed: Port Orleans Riverside, the Disney Dream, Universal Orlando's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, and Pop Century
Where We Ate: All over the place! Highlights include California Grill, Chefs de France, The Biergarten, Cinderella's Royal Table, The Leaky Cauldron, and The Three Broomsticks. And all three restaurants on the Dream.
General Itinerary: 1 day travelling to Orlando and exploring Downtown Disney, 1 day at Epcot, 3 days on the Disney Dream, 2 days at Universal Orlando, DBf's family departed Orlando, DBf and I went back to WDW, 3 days at WDW, and 1 day exploring Downtown Disney and travelling back to Wisconsin.

More to come later!

Last edited:
Who Went: Myself and DBf and his Family (everyone except the bride and groom in the picture below).

10461384_10105901095514104_5346960037622434780_n.jpg

DBf and I had been together 2 years together at the time of this trip, and we were living with his parents to save some money for our own place. His family had the brilliant idea of taking a Disney Cruise, so I set to work looking at all the options available before they contacted a travel agent. DBf and I decided we needed to do more than just the cruise, so I also looked at WDW and UO's WWoHP (did I mention the only thing that may rival our Disney fanatacism is Harry Potter?!).

We decided early August would work best, as DBf's parents are teachers, and his sister was still in school.

Last edited:
Where We Stayed:

We arrived at MCO on July 30 and checked into Port Orleans Riverside for 2 nights. We had a standard room in Alligator Bayou, which just barely fit all 5 adults. Luckily, DBf's sister is little and didn't mind the trundle/hideaway bed.

We spent 3 nights aboard the Disney Dream. We stayed in a Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah. This featured a queen-sized bed, a couch that folded into a bed, a bed that folded down out of a closet, and a bed that hung from the ceiling. We fit pretty comfortably in here, which thoroughly surprised me.

After our cruise, we headed over to UO and spent 3 nights at Cabana Bay Beach Resort, shortly after it opened. We had a Family Suite, which gave us two queens and a full-size pull-out couch. This was the most spacious room we had as a group, but we also spent the most time here.

DBf's family departed to return to Wisconsin after our three days at UO. BDf and I headed to WDW for 3 nights at Pop Century. We stayed in a standard room in the 1950s wing. Obviously for two people, this was a lot of room!

IMG_20140806_235544411.jpg

Where We Ate: So many great places!
Day 1: Arrival
We made reservations for California Grill! This was the best worst idea I had for this trip (though definitely not the only one!). We were all hot and tired when we arrived at California Grill. We were dehydrated. We were underdressed. We had miscalculated how hungry we would be. We planned on just an appetizer or dessert and the MK Wishes fireworks. Bad planning! We were starving! DBf and I were supposed to be on our own for this meal, so we were poring over the menu trying to decide on something we could split. Thankfully, his mom was nice enough to tell us she was covering our dinner (yes, DINNER!) and drinks, and not to worry about the cost of things. I had the Dragon Roll sushi, DBf had the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli appetizer and the Bell & Evan Chicken for an entree. For dessert, DBF had the Creme Brulee and I got the Sundae Sampler. The food was delicious, the fireworks were amazing, and the entire evening was great.

Day 2: EPCOT
We were with DBf's family and did not have a dining plan yet. We ate breakfast in the hotel room. For lunch, we decided on Sunshine Seasons after finishing Soarin'. Everyone could decide on their own food and it was quick, easy, and cheap. We were all full after this, as well. At the end of the night, while waiting for IllumiNations to start, we grabbed a quick dinner. Everyone else ate fish'n' chips from Yorkshire County Fish Shop in the UK Pavilion. However, I don't like fish, especially when I'm already hot and tired. So I decided to head over to the France Pavilion for a brie aux pommes sandwich from Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie.
Best thing I ate: Brie aux pommes sandwich from Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie.

Days 3-5: Disney Dream Cruise
We had the ERA rotation during second seating. First night was Enchanted Garden, then Royal Palace, then ended with Animator's Palate. Breakfast was at Cabanas mornings 1 & 2 and at Animator's Palate morning 3. For dinner at Enchanted Garden, I had the Baby Spinach Salad and Grilled NY Strip Steak with Sweet Temptations for Dessert. At Royal Palace, I had the Farmhouse Salad and Lobster Macaroni with Sweet Temptations for dessert. From the Animator's Palate, I had the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes and Pennette Bolognese with Sweet Temptations for dessert. Lunch was eaten at either Cabanas or Castaway Cay.
Best thing I ate: Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes, hands down!

I'll post the meals from the rest of the trip later, but I have to run now :)

I have returned! I have been on a mini vacation, visiting family, but I am back and ready to continue my trip down memory lane :)

Where We Ate, Part 2:
Days 5-7: Universal Studios
I missed out on a bit of this portion, as I had gotten super sun-burnt at Castaway Cay and spent the first couple evenings sick and in bed. The night we disembarked the cruise and checked into the Cabana Bay Beach Resort, we also explored CityWalk. We ate at Margaritaville, which wasn't thoroughly impressive. The food was a step above mediocre, but the theme and decor was great. As stated, I was not well, so I didn't enjoy this stop very much. While at Universal, we spent the majority of our time at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and therefore that was where we ate. We dined at both The Leaky Cauldron and The Three Broomsticks, as well as Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour and multiple carts for Butterbeer! While the themeing of each restaurant was AMAZING, the food was also good, though I don’t remember the dishes I ate.
Best thing I consumed: definitely the butterbeer, though there is still room for debate whether regular or frozen butterbeer is better!

DBf and I were alone from here on out, and had decided to get the Deluxe Dining Plan, which we later realized was WAAAAY too much food!
Day 8: Hollywood Studios
We had lunch at the ‘50s Prime-Time Cafe. The atmosphere was so fun, and the food was delicious comfort food, just the thing I needed! I started with the Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese, then ate the Cousin Ryan’s Vegetable Lasagna, mostly because I didn’t feel like eating chicken and I don’t like fish or meatloaf. The dish was pretty good, but nothing I couldn’t make at home. For dessert, I had the Dad’s Brownie Sundae, so huge!!! For dinner, we ate at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. While relaxing, watching the film reel, I ate the Spinach and Artichoke Dip and Shrimp Pasta, with Out-of-This-World Turtle Cheesecake for dessert. The food here was good, but I was again more impressed with the atmosphere and the ability Disney has for making me feel like I was actually outside while in a large warehouse building.
Best thing I ate: Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese

Day 9: Magic Kingdom
We had breakfast at Cinderella’s Royal Table!!!!!!! I ate the Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast, which was delicious! I wasn’t totally impressed with the pastry platter, but the French Toast (and meeting all the princesses!!!) definitely made up for it. For lunch, we ate at Be Our Guest Restaurant!!! I had the French Onion Soup, Carved Prime Chuck Roast Beef Sandwich, and The Master’s Cupcake. All were delicious, but the best part was that our food was magically brought to us! We didn’t have to take a table number, wait for our name to be called, or watch a server wander aimlessly, the servers were able to locate us via our Magic Bands! We also snacked a bit this day, stopping for LeFou’s Brew from Gaston’s Tavern and Dole Whips from Aloha Isle. For dinner, we ate at Crystal Palace. The food here was not particularly special, but we got to meet Pooh and Friends :)
Best Thing I Ate: Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast

Day 10: EPCOT
We grabbed breakfast at Everything Pop, just a pastry and coffee. We ate lunch at Chefs de France, which was the most difficult decision to come to for the entire trip; DBf didn’t think he’d like French food! I ate the Salade de Chevre Chaud (which was amazing!), Tartine au poulet et legumes Provencaux (which was also delicious), and Fraisier sur coulis de framboise, sorbet fraise (which was essentially cake and ice cream yum!). This is definitely my favorite restaurant at WDW! For dinner we ate at Biergarten, and sat with a table full of a family that did not want to talk to us. The food here was again, nothing super special, but the atmosphere and entertainment were worth our dining credits!
Best Thing I Ate: Salade de Chevre Chaud

Day 11: Downtown Disney and Departure
We had most of the day to just bum around before our flight that evening, so we met up with my cousin and his family, and walked around Downtown Disney. We had a couple drinks at Raglan Road and grabbed lunch at House of Blues. The food here was standard House of Blues food. We also had A LOT of snack credits leftover, so we bought ice creams for everyone, and just relaxed for the day.

Lesson of the trip: Get the Regular Dining Plan! We love to eat, but there is SO. MUCH. FOOD. when using the Deluxe Dining Plan, that I was still kind of full from lunch when we got to our dinner reservations. And the food is so filling, that it was hard to convince myself to get up and walk around while mmy tummy was so full with the delicious food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter