The Moist Exhausting Free Trip Ever - Link to Part II Thread pg. 244

A while back, I posted this recipe on Marv's TR tread:

Cinnamon Bun Coffee Cake

1 package Rich's (or other brand) dough balls
1 package vanilla pudding (cook and serve, not instant)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 stick butter (or margarine)

Grease 10" tube (bundt) pan. Sprinkle raisins or nuts on bottom. (Although I dont. Yuck.) Place (frozen) dough balls around the pan on top of rainsins and nuts. Sprinkle with mixture of vanilla pudding, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Top with one stick of melted butter. Leave out on counter and cover with a small towel. Let dough rise for 10-12 hours. Bake 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.

You may find it helpful to put a piece of aluminum foil loosely on top when baking to avoid browning the bottom too much.

Actually, I posted it as a joke....in an attempt to turn Marv's thread into a cooking forum. ;) But, I really do make it on occasion, and it is the extent of my baking skills. Last night, we were expecting ice accumulation overnight so I figured there'd be a school delay (which there was) and I thought it'd be a good time to make some. Here are some pictures from my phone.

The "dough balls" I found in our grocery store. These are just dinner rolls, I'm not sure if "Rich's" are something different, but these worked fine.

Cinnamon1.jpg

Everything ready to be put together. The dry ingredients (sugar, cinnamon, and pudding mix) in a bowl at the bottom and the melted butter in a bowl to the left. First, I put just one package of dough balls in, but it just didn't seem like enough, so I put in a second bag. Then I took 6 out. Then I said, "Oh what the heck" and put the 6 back in. So, I've got 2 bags-worth in here. We'll see how that turns out.

Cinnamon2.jpg

After the dry ingredients have been sprinkled in and the butter poured over.

Cinnamon3.jpg

I covered it with a dish towel, and let it rise overnight. I came down this morning to this:

Cinnamon5.jpg

Okay, so maybe next time I'll go with a bag and a half.

Then, during the baking we had a little mix-up. I set the timer to go off early so I could check it. Judy was in the kitchen when it went off and thought that it meant it was done. She flipped it out onto a plate and found that it was still mushy. She tried to get it back into the pan (that must have been a sight) and put it back in for 10 minutes but didn't think it would work. It still turned out okay, but would've been better if it had been allowed to bake fully the first time.

The finished product.

Cinnamon4.jpg

Wait, I thought Marv's TR was the "official" baking thread????

Glen, this sounds very yummy.

The "dough balls" I found in our grocery store. These are just dinner rolls, I'm not sure if "Rich's" are something different, but these worked fine.

Cinnamon1.jpg

OHHHH! Well if you'd said the bag says "dinner rolls" I might not have been so confused! I supposed I've seen frozen dinner rolls. Just never anything labeled "dough balls." With a name like that, you figure its multi-purpose. "Here's some balls of dough. Do with them what you will.";)

Everything ready to be put together. The dry ingredients (sugar, cinnamon, and pudding mix) in a bowl at the bottom and the melted butter in a bowl to the left. First, I put just one package of dough balls in, but it just didn't seem like enough, so I put in a second bag. Then I took 6 out. Then I said, "Oh what the heck" and put the 6 back in. So, I've got 2 bags-worth in here. We'll see how that turns out.

Cinnamon2.jpg

Wow, this is like a cooking show. I'm impressed how you have the ingredients pre-measured into attractive bowls. P-chef, I presume?

The finished product.

Cinnamon4.jpg

Why, its Monkey Bread!! I've made this before with the Girl Scouts. Except we used pillsbury refrigerated biscuits (in the tube). You cut them into 4ths with a scissors and drop them in the pan, then drizzle with butter and brown sugar. I will have to try adding the vanilla pudding mix.

Thanks for the yummy goodness, Glenn! I wish my screen were scratch-n-sniff.:lovestruc

See! That's what I called it too, Rebecca!! Monkey Bread. Must be a Girl Scout thing- we did it too about 3 decades ago. Mmmm, mmm!

Wait, I thought Marv's TR was the "official" baking thread????

Glen, this sounds very yummy.

Yeah, but Rebecca had been asking about "dough balls" so I thought I'd capture it in the making.

OHHHH! Well if you'd said the bag says "dinner rolls" I might not have been so confused! I supposed I've seen frozen dinner rolls. Just never anything labeled "dough balls." With a name like that, you figure its multi-purpose. "Here's some balls of dough. Do with them what you will.";)

I don't know if "Rich's dough balls" are dinner rolls, but that's what I found at the grocery store the other night, so I went with it!

Wow, this is like a cooking show. I'm impressed how you have the ingredients pre-measured into attractive bowls. P-chef, I presume?

But of course.

Why, its Monkey Bread!! I've made this before with the Girl Scouts. Except we used pillsbury refrigerated biscuits (in the tube). You cut them into 4ths with a scissors and drop them in the pan, then drizzle with butter and brown sugar. I will have to try adding the vanilla pudding mix.

Judy calls it that too. I almost put that in the writeup when I posted, but didn't for some unknown reason.

Thanks for the yummy goodness, Glenn! I wish my screen were scratch-n-sniff.:lovestruc

Well, it'd be handy now...but not so much during other conversations. :eek:

under 10 pages till you have to start part 2 of this thread.:thumbsup2

I know. I need to get the next udpate written soon so it can be posted at least not too long after I start the new thread.

See! That's what I called it too, Rebecca!! Monkey Bread. Must be a Girl Scout thing- we did it too about 3 decades ago. Mmmm, mmm!

I wonder how it got a name like that? :confused3

Is Glen going into competition with Marv for another cookbook!!!???:rotfl2:

I was going to say that that simple recipe is the extent of my baking prowess, but I just remembered that I make a gugelhupf cake to remind me of our visit to Austria. That recipe is a wee bit more complicated.

Wow...that looks so good. I don't think I've ever seen those frozen balls of dinner roll dough ever before. I really want to make it now

Wow...that looks so good. I don't think I've ever seen those frozen balls of dinner roll dough ever before. I really want to make it now

I have the same problem: we have frozen dinner rolls here, but they already are baked, so you just warm them up in the oven. I don't think Glenn's recipe would work with them... And making the dough from scratch and then freeze it seems just a bit silly... :confused3

If you make them, report back on how they turned out. ;)

I have the same problem: we have frozen dinner rolls here, but they already are baked, so you just warm them up in the oven. I don't think Glenn's recipe would work with them... And making the dough from scratch and then freeze it seems just a bit silly... :confused3

You could probably make the dough from scratch, and not have to let it rise for the whole 10-12 hours....an hour or so should do it. Or, Sleepingbooty mentioned that she's made them with the refrigerated biscuits that come in a tube. Do you have anything like that?

You could probably make the dough from scratch, and not have to let it rise for the whole 10-12 hours....an hour or so should do it. Or, Sleepingbooty mentioned that she's made them with the refrigerated biscuits that come in a tube. Do you have anything like that?

You know, I was going to say that there was an even lesser chance of being able to buy refrigerated biscuits from a tube, but then I looked up Pillsbury and realized that their German brand is "Knack & Back" which is quite popular and there was this on their website: http://www.knackundback.de/produkt.aspx?id=9
Wich looks to me very much like biscuits? They even have plain rolls as well which might be like your frozen dinner rolls!! :goodvibes

You know, I was going to say that there was an even lesser chance of being able to buy refrigerated biscuits from a tube, but then I looked up Pillsbury and realized that their German brand is "Knack & Back" which is quite popular and there was this on their website: http://www.knackundback.de/produkt.aspx?id=9
Wich looks to me very much like biscuits? They even have plain rolls as well which might be like your frozen dinner rolls!! :goodvibes

Yep, those are biscuits all right!

Does this mean that Great Biscuit in german is Großen Brötchen?

That is the way I have made them, and seen them made before, using the canned biscuits and slicing them in 1/4s. And no, not just a girl scout thing because we have people at work that make it and bring it in on occasion. Actually, I don't know about other places, but in the frozen dessert section of our local grocery they now have "monkey bread" already made up and called that by name on the package. You just have to bake it.

Never seen the pudding added before either. Might have to give that a try and see how it works.
Is Glen going into competition with Marv for another cookbook!!!???:rotfl2:
We were thinking about going in together and hopefully each getting to double our Kidani DVC points so we can go to Disney more often....... ;)
Well, it'd be handy now...but not so much during other conversations. :eek:
:lmao:
I know. I need to get the next udpate written soon so it can be posted at least not too long after I start the new thread.
And to think I catch grief on my TR and I've only been home from our trip 4 weeks now...... :rolleyes1

Yep, those are biscuits all right!

Does this mean that Great Biscuit in german is Großen Brötchen?

Großes Brötchen is one possible translation I would say... However depending on the meaning of "great" in this context it could also mean "Großartiges Brötchen" or "Großes Plätzchen" if you use the British meaning of biscuit.

My favourite would be "Großartiges Brötchen" since I think "great" in this context is not about size but about quality... :lmao: But I never asked GB about the true meaning of his name... :confused3

That is the way I have made them, and seen them made before, using the canned biscuits and slicing them in 1/4s. And no, not just a girl scout thing because we have people at work that make it and bring it in on occasion. Actually, I don't know about other places, but in the frozen dessert section of our local grocery they now have "monkey bread" already made up and called that by name on the package. You just have to bake it.

Gee, it doesn't get much easier than it already is...short of having somebody feed it to me (which doesn't sound half bad). Next they'll be putting peanut butter and jelly together in the same jar. ;)

Never seen the pudding added before either. Might have to give that a try and see how it works.

"Cook and Serve", not instant. And you don't do anything with it, just add it as a dry ingredient with the sugar and cinnamon.

We were thinking about going in together and hopefully each getting to double our Kidani DVC points so we can go to Disney more often....... ;)
:lmao:

Sounds good to me!

And to think I catch grief on my TR and I've only been home from our trip 4 weeks now...... :rolleyes1

Talk to me when you're working on chapter 40. (That oughtta give me time to think of a better response.)

Großes Brötchen is one possible translation I would say... However depending on the meaning of "great" in this context it could also mean "Großartiges Brötchen" or "Großes Plätzchen" if you use the British meaning of biscuit.

My favourite would be "Großartiges Brötchen" since I think "great" in this context is not about size but about quality... :lmao: But I never asked GB about the true meaning of his name... :confused3

Now that's funny! :lmao:

"Plätzchen" is definitely out -- he's no British biscuit. Nah uh. But which "great" will he claim represents him best? :rotfl:

Wow Glenn - that really seems to be an easy recipe'. I thought adding the "follow along" pictures was superb! "Bake Along With Glenn". Looks tasty and I'm going to give it a try sometime soon.

Looking forward to more reading...:happytv:

ps.. pop into my new TR when you get a chance. Finding readers is like finding a blooming rose in Michigan right now. :rotfl2:

Just getting started, but already liking what I see. The witty proposed thread names alone indicate the rest should be pretty good!

Wow Glenn - that really seems to be an easy recipe'. I thought adding the "follow along" pictures was superb! "Bake Along With Glenn". Looks tasty and I'm going to give it a try sometime soon.

ps.. pop into my new TR when you get a chance. Finding readers is like finding a blooming rose in Michigan right now. :rotfl2:

Okay, I just popped over. :)

Just getting started, but already liking what I see. The witty proposed thread names alone indicate the rest should be pretty good!

:welcome: WDWFigment! I can't make any guarantees as to how "good" it is, but I hope you like it as you read through. I'm glad to have you on board though!

Lisa, did I ever give you an official Welcome :welcome: ?

I was thinking I did, but I'm not sure. If not....:welcome:!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!