The 'I survived SDL's Opening Day' TR!

I am going to SDL next month, and was thinking of buying the tickets at the hotel for the same reason - it'd be really appreciated if you could provide some feedback for this!
I am so sorry I already left there Saturday and completely forgot about asking -.- But the concierge was rather helpful - all the CMs there were incredibly attentive. Maybe you can try to get in touch with the hotel directly by calling front desk and asking? Usually they will get someone for you who speaks English well enough. Again so sorry for not asking.

And back to our regularly scheduled program :thumbsup2

Another Rushed Morning

The park opened at 8am this morning, and I knew that it would be a rush to get there early. I wanted to have breakfast in the club lounge before I went, and that didn’t open until 7am. I set my alarm for 6am, thinking that would give me plenty of time since I’d already got my outfit ready and half packed. I’m not sure what happened, but I think it was about 7:15am by the time I was actually leaving my room heading for the lounge. Today’s outfit was inspired by Winnie the Pooh.

There was a great variety to choose from for breakfast, both western and Chinese style. Next to the juices, there was a whole salad bar with fruit, veggies and deli meats. At the back there was a hot food section which had eggs, sausages and bacon, plus the Chinese style offerings. Nothing like dumplings for breakfast! Next there was a whole array of pastries and a Mickey waffle station right at the end with all sorts of toppings (I didn’t get a photo of it for some reason). I helped myself to a small selection, slightly annoyed that I didn’t have more time to enjoy the offerings before park opening. The lounge was reasonably busy this morning, and there weren’t any tables left along the windows.

Heading back to my room, I took a couple of photos along the way, just of the little garden courtyard area next to the lounge and the hidden Mickey carpets.

I grabbed my luggage and made my way downstairs to check out. I was so sad to be leaving, but I was also keen to check out the Toy Story Hotel. The CMs at checkout were great, and even seemed genuinely disappointed that I had to leave lol! As soon as I mentioned that I was staying at the Toy Story Hotel next, they arranged for my luggage to be transported over there. That was a relief, as I hadn’t known whether they offered luggage transfer services, and I hadn’t been looking forward to having to do it myself! Because I was running so late this morning, I skipped the walk to the park and just caught the bus. I was surprised that the bus wasn’t busier!

When I arrived at Disney Town, there was a steady stream of people heading towards the gates – a lot more than there had been the previous day.

Shanghai Disneyland currently only offers a maximum of 2 day tickets, so I had to purchase separate tickets to cover my 3 days. Because I was using a new ticket today, I had to do the whole ticket exchange process again. I was disappointed to see a long queue, and instantly regretted not getting up earlier (note the blue sky in the photos!).

The queue moved fast though, and soon I had my proper ticket. I was surprised to just be waved straight through to the park through a gap next to the turnstiles! Because of that, I’d just made up a heap of time and wasn’t nearly as far behind as I thought I’d be.

Hey Zanzibar. Was soarin the same as the other parks? We are disneyland regulars and considering skipping soarin in Shanghai. Everything I've read says that the line is crazy.

I wish we had known about the ticket exchange before we went! Oh well, next time... lol.

Hey Zanzibar. Was soarin the same as the other parks? We are disneyland regulars and considering skipping soarin in Shanghai. Everything I've read says that the line is crazy.
Soarin is the new movie, Soarin around the World, that you can now also find in Epcot and DCA. I would suggest you get a FP for it in the morning or head right to the line, then you don't wait longer than 20 mins.

Soarin is the new movie, Soarin around the World, that you can now also find in Epcot and DCA. I would suggest you get a FP for it in the morning or head right to the line, then you don't wait longer than 20 mins.

I would skip it if you're Disneyland regulars. It was unique to SDL for about 5 minutes before the others changes to Soarin' over the World too. I wish they'd kept the original version in California, but that's a different topic altogether! By skipping it, you will be able to use that crucial first thing in the morning time for something else (perhaps Roaring Rapids or Tron).

I wish we had known about the ticket exchange before we went! Oh well, next time... lol.

Oh, I thought I'd mentioned it in one of the replies on here. Or maybe it was on someone else's thread. I've definitely said something about on the boards - too hard to keep up lol! Sorry you missed it!

If it makes you feel any better, there's every chance that it could be different by now and you would have had to line up twice ;)

Thanks for the response. We will definitely skip it! It's always 45 minutes at DCA, so it seems like a waste to wait for it.

Just a heads up - get their printed time schedule when you are there. During the whole week we visited, they did NOT offer FP for Roaring Rapids and it closed at 5:00 PM each day, and Pirates did not open until 12:00. Not a huge problem but we didn't know until we were in the park and it threw off our plans the first day when we noticed.

I am putting my report under 'One Day in Shanghai Disney', if anyone wants to see it. I'm pretty useless at finding my way around these things til I've been on them for months, so aren't sure how to let you know otherwise. Duh!

The Beginning of Today’s Adventure

Today’s focus would be on Treasure Cove and Adventure Isle. I had familiarised myself with the layout of the land yesterday, so today I just headed straight there. On my way down Mickey Avenue, I ran into the Disneyland Band just leaving the backstage area. I got a few waves while they were setting up, then they were off down the street.

I didn’t stay to watch the show, as I was keen to get my hands on a FP for Roaring Rapids, and I suspected I would have to be fairly quick. It was kind of strange turning right at the end of Mickey Avenue to enter Adventure Isle!

Turns out that I’d left it too late for FPs in Adventure Isle. The FP distribution there was for Soaring as well as Roaring Rapids, and Soaring was just ridiculously popular. The CM holding the sign was marking the end of the queue for FPs, moving along as more people entered. The queue went pretty much all the way to the entrance to Adventure Isle before doubling back to the FP kiosk. I estimated the wait time to be close to an hour.

With that being the case, I decided to head straight to Treasure Cove and ride Pirates before the line got too long there. I didn’t stop for many photos along the way, wanting to make full use of this relatively quiet time in the park. Treasure Cove and Adventure Isle are pretty much one huge land, set around the shores of the large lagoon in the middle. Because of this layout, it was possible to just walk in circles around the lake and see nothing but those two lands. It was actually really immersive!

Luckily for me, Pirates was quite near the entrance to Adventure Isle, so I didn’t have to walk far around the lake and it didn’t take long to get there. The wait time said 30 minutes, so I jumped in line. The SR line didn’t seem to be in operation yet, with a CM blocking the entrance to it. 30 minutes wasn’t so long that I was willing to waste time trying to figure out what the deal was with the SR line.

The wait time was probably closer to 20 minutes anyway, and the queue was so well themed with lots to look at along the way, that time went pretty quick. I found myself starting to get familiar with the local way of queuing, and actually starting to do some ‘queue squeezing’ of my own! I didn’t get a second glance, and certainly no dirty looks, which was really just confirmation for me that it was just how it was done over there (later on I would see a fist fight nearly break out over queue jumping, so I’m pretty sure I would have heard about it if people thought I was doing the wrong thing!).

Towards the end of the queue, there were some little ‘rooms’ off to the side full of detail. There was also a little section where we were directly above the end of the ride and we could see the boats passing underneath us.

The boats are larger than their Anaheim counterparts, with about 30 people fitting onto one boat. Despite its (well-deserved) popularity, this was one quick moving queue that never really did get insanely long. Looking back, I really should have used this time to do Roaring Rapids, or perhaps even the Challenge Trails (remembering that I had already decided not to bother with Soaring)!

OMG this ride is everything you’ve heard about and more! It is insanely good! I’m sure you have already seen the youtube videos if you’re interested, so I won’t go into too much detail here, but the effects are just incredible, and the immersion is fantastic. The underwater scenes are stunning, and it really does feel like you’re going down under the sea then coming back up in those scenes. The combination of projections on huge domed screens, animatronics, and static props really gives a whole new depth to this ride. While I did miss the old ‘Yo Ho, Yo Ho’, the new score based on the movies is compelling and I think more appropriate for the more dramatic scenes in this version of the ride. It’s easily the best dark ride I’ve experienced.

There is a gift shop at the exit, which is also beautifully themed and has a huge array of unique Pirates themed merchandise. Later, I bought DH a beer stein from there – I thought he’d appreciate it more than a t-shirt lol!

The ride had been so good that I immediately went back to the line to ride it again! The wait time still said 30 minutes, but this time it was closer to 40.

Last edited:
It's a pity Pirates was closed for us. It looks amazing! There's the one to aim for if I get back again.
I've done my report in Disney Trip Reports, hope anyone interested can find it. I didn't know where exactly to put it up, and I have trouble finding it myself, so hope it's trackable.

I am still so bummed that Pirates was closed while we were there! It seems that it is closed more often than it is open, so you lucked out!

It's a pity Pirates was closed for us. It looks amazing! There's the one to aim for if I get back again.
I've done my report in Disney Trip Reports, hope anyone interested can find it. I didn't know where exactly to put it up, and I have trouble finding it myself, so hope it's trackable.

I can't find your TR... Is it in the 'other lands' section? Could you put up a link?

I am still so bummed that Pirates was closed while we were there! It seems that it is closed more often than it is open, so you lucked out!

Yep, I was pretty lucky to be able to ride both Pirates and Tron when I wanted to!

Yep, I was pretty lucky to be able to ride both Pirates and Tron when I wanted to!

At least Tron doesn't seem to have the issues that Pirates does in terms of being shut down so often. I really need to get back there someday!

I don't even know where my report is! I have to go through my alerts to trace it. I have it under "One Day In Shanghai Disney, September 16". If you can find it, then explain how I link it (I said I was a dinosaur!) then I'll do it.I thought it was in Disney Trip Reports, but who knows? :crazy:
BTW, I'm the dinosaur keeping places like Officeworks open from photo printing. I just went today, cropped and altered about 800 of my 1300 photos, and..........it's down. All gone!! Next time, I will do them 100 at a time or so, so I don't lose so many! (They're still on my card- just gone from their printer-computer.) Didn't even get to the Disney ones! Managed to keep my cool and not rant at the worker who gave me the bad news!

I don't even know where my report is! I have to go through my alerts to trace it. I have it under "One Day In Shanghai Disney, September 16". If you can find it, then explain how I link it (I said I was a dinosaur!) then I'll do it.I thought it was in Disney Trip Reports, but who knows? :crazy:
BTW, I'm the dinosaur keeping places like Officeworks open from photo printing. I just went today, cropped and altered about 800 of my 1300 photos, and..........it's down. All gone!! Next time, I will do them 100 at a time or so, so I don't lose so many! (They're still on my card- just gone from their printer-computer.) Didn't even get to the Disney ones! Managed to keep my cool and not rant at the worker who gave me the bad news!

Haha! I don't know where Disney Trip Reports is, so we're both as bad as each other :rotfl:

Wow that must have been insanely frustrating! Well done for keeping your cool! What do you do with all those photos though?

I simply put them in an old-fashioned album. I write up what happened each day, then the photos, along with anything that counts as a souvenir (eg, admission tickets), especially as they differ to our local ones. Sounds primitive, but I like being able to just pick it up and look through again, sooner than scanning one at a time through a phone- or a camera, I prefer that to the phone for holiday photos, too! My teen sons still like it, too.
I got a new camera this year, and the photos I got through look pretty good, even the ones from the fast train window.
Click on my name and trace it from there. That's the easiest way I have to help you.!

Thanks, cschaaf, that's much better than what I could figure out! My skills are still better in the old world. One of the uses of teenagers is to help me out when I haven't a clue. (Not a lot of other uses otherwise, except for clearing out the pantry.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter