• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Disney Tipping Info Thread *Updated 9.1.09*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The holiday surcharge for buffets IS part of the bill on which they will calculate your estimated tips (or your automatic tip if there are more than 6 of you)

You will not have to pay the surcharge if you are on the dining plan, but it will be part of the bill upon which your tip is calculated.

Nala,

Sorry for making a new thread, I didn't notice this sticky up here. I'll respond to your question here:

You said:
You're a party of six. Infants and toddlers are included in the party size. Yes, you will be assessed the automatic gratuity. If you feel it should be reduced due to poor service, you would need to talk to the manager to do so.

This was easy enough to answer, so I didn't move it - but be aware that according to the policy of the restaurant board, all tipping discussion and questions are to be confined to the Tipping Information Thread stuck at the top of this forum. The first post has an FAQ, plus the reasons why we have a single thread on this topic in the first place.

I actually just called the reservation line and the lady who answered told me that the number calculated is only based upon those who order something. Since the toddler and the infant wouldn't be ordering anything, she told me that our party would only be considered 4 for billing purposes. She also said that all restaurants should be aware of this policy.

When I called, she did spend several minutes researching the issue and put me on hold for a few minutes as well. Was she simply mistaken?

Nala,

Sorry for making a new thread, I didn't notice this sticky up here. I'll respond to your question here:

You said:

I actually just called the reservation line and the lady who answered told me that the number calculated is only based upon those who order something. Since the toddler and the infant wouldn't be ordering anything, she told me that our party would only be considered 4 for billing purposes. She also said that all restaurants should be aware of this policy.

When I called, she did spend several minutes researching the issue and put me on hold for a few minutes as well. Was she simply mistaken?
Possibly. You can ask 3 different CMs a question and get 3 different answers, it happens. For the purpose of calculating your food total it is based on what you order, your tip is also based on that, but because you are a party of six(six people will need room at the table) your tip MAY BE automatically added to your bill. This is one of those things that at one place you may have an auto tip but at another not have the auto tip, CMs are human and have different "interpretations" of what is a party of six, strictly speaking though, you are a party of six.

I believe that this is an instance of a mistaken CM. From all of the Dis board experience, and CMs who are servers at Disney, any party of 6 or more is assessed the 18% gratuity.

The PP is 100% correct though, it's only a percentage of what you order, so in the case of an infant who orders nothing, 18% of nothing is $0 added to your gratuity.

Hey! I have a question and don't know if it's been answered yet, so thanks. We recently went to Disney (a couple of weeks ago) and met some friends there. Since we met our friends for dinner and we were then a party of 8, the automatic 18% tip was applied to our bills. That was fine, WE paid it on our bill but our friend would mark it out on his bill every time and pay something less. I was wondering if a CM or anyone knows how Disney handles that? Do they just ignore it or do they do something about it? I haven't asked our friends because I don't think they would tell us if Disney did get the money out of them.

My question is about the Breakfast in Norway. when I made reservations I made both this and the castle the woman on the phone told me the tip is included on both since they added the photo package to Norway. was she correct or not. Thank You

I know this is an old post. What is the current tipping situation now with the Storybook Dining at Akershus in Norway? Is tipping included (like it is for CRT) or is it like the other TS restaurants, where tipping is not included? Thanks, want to make sure I don't tip twice, or fail to tip if it's not included.

please see first post, #7

7. The gratuity is included in the dinner shows Hoop Dee Doo Review, Spirit of Aloha and at Cinderella’s Royal Table.

:)

I hope it's okay to post this question here since it really doesn't deal with dining.

Do I tip at BBB? I'm taking my DD there and don't want to offer a tip if they cannot accept it nor not offer a tip if they can accept it. My guess would be that you can tip as I know when I go for an appointment to get my hair done I always tip...just want to be sure.

Thanks!

I hope it's okay to post this question here since it really doesn't deal with dining.

Do I tip at BBB? I'm taking my DD there and don't want to offer a tip if they cannot accept it nor not offer a tip if they can accept it. My guess would be that you can tip as I know when I go for an appointment to get my hair done I always tip...just want to be sure.

Thanks!

They used to be not allowed to take them but they can now. It is up to you wether or not you do tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter