The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I was skeptical at first, but I really like Andy Karl and the London reviews I saw were mostly raves. So i figured I'd give it a try. Hopefully its a hit here too, with those kinds of reviews.

And since I'm the Broadway geek among my friends and family, I'm bringing 4 or 5 other people with me to see it. :)

Tim is a genius

Matilda closed so it won't be an option this summer.

Saw The Humans tonight. It was a nice evening of theater. I appreciate that because it was a more quiet play they didn't sell candy or put ice in the cups.

Matilda was great. Not seeing in in Aus. But saw it twice in the Cambridge Theatre. Bertie was excellent

I just got back from a weekend in New York and we saw Hamilton and the Great Comment of 1812. Both were absolutely amazing in different ways. We had seats on the stage for the Great Comet and I would definitely recommend to go for those seats if possible. It was such a unique experience to be able to see the show from that perspective and it really felt like we were participants instead of observers.

FYI: The Lincoln Center presentation of Carousel with Kelli O'Hara, Nathan Gunn and Jessie Mueller from a couple of years back will be released on DVD next month. I really enjoyed that production.

Our show list is set for our upcoming trip to NYC. We got tickets to see Waitress....Wednesday matinee, Beautiful .....Thursday evening, and the grand finale.....HAMILTON on Sunday. We are so excited to be visiting our former home city and visiting with friends and family who we haven't seen since we left in 2005. I am hoping that the weather will be nice for walking around NYC!

Took my daughter for her first NYC visit last week. We saw School of Rock and Chicago (with Mel B) We both LOVED School of Rock, he kids are amazing! it is a really fun show. Chicago, was not what we expected. I knew the story and stuff before, but the set up was a little weird, and the theater needs some updating/restoration badly. The performers were good, great singing and dancing but just different.

Oh my goodness, there are so many good shows opening this spring. I'd already booked my trip for May when Amelie announced. Going to see Hamilton, War Paint, Dear Evan Hansen, Anastasia, and Groundhog Day. I wish I could stay longer and see Amelie and Great Comet and Sunset Boulevard and Dolly--a plethora of riches!

I just LOVED Dear Evan Hansen. We saw it off-Broadway and then on. :) We're going in March and seeing Come From Away, Great Comet, and The Price. Very excited--it's been too long!

I just got back from a weekend in New York and we saw Hamilton and the Great Comment of 1812. Both were absolutely amazing in different ways. We had seats on the stage for the Great Comet and I would definitely recommend to go for those seats if possible. It was such a unique experience to be able to see the show from that perspective and it really felt like we were participants instead of observers.

Oh, I'm glad to read this. I sprang for on-stage seats (table and chairs just beside the stage on stage right) because my friend is OBSESSED with Josh Groban. She doesn't know we're sitting on stage, and I can't wait to see her face!

I just LOVED Dear Evan Hansen. We saw it off-Broadway and then on. :) We're going in March and seeing Come From Away, Great Comet, and The Price. Very excited--it's been too long!

I saw Dear Evan Hansen when it did its premiere at Arena Stage in Washington DC and absolutely loved it as well. Can't wait to see the Broadway incarnation--Ben Platt was brilliant!

I read back a few pages and didn't see any mention of this - has anyone seen In Transit? Looking for a show to see in mid March and it looks interesting. Thanks.

I read back a few pages and didn't see any mention of this - has anyone seen In Transit? Looking for a show to see in mid March and it looks interesting. Thanks.

I know that it is really struggling to make money and that people don't seem to think it's going to hang on very long, but a good friend of mine who sees EVERYTHING and is very critical really liked it. He said it's cheesy but totally charming and wonderful. He recommended it to me (though I don't have time to see it unless it hangs on through summer), and he very rarely steers me wrong.

Saw Cabaret last night in Boston. Randy Harrison was amazing as the emcee and overall the cast was strong. The ending, good lord, the ending made my whole body shake. It felt awkward to be clapping when you're stunned into silence and tears are falling.

I know that it is really struggling to make money and that people don't seem to think it's going to hang on very long, but a good friend of mine who sees EVERYTHING and is very critical really liked it. He said it's cheesy but totally charming and wonderful. He recommended it to me (though I don't have time to see it unless it hangs on through summer), and he very rarely steers me wrong.

Thanks for the info! If it's still around I might check it out.

I saw it with a friend from out of town because we got cheap tickets. It is a nice feel good musical. Just take note that some of the beatboxing is loud so I saw a few little kids say they were scared at first just from the noise. There is nothing scary about the show and it is very "NYC" including some inside jokes for people whose main mode of transportation is NY Metro.

I think I OD'd on theatre. :crazy:
In December, my Dd and I went to London and took the West End by storm! Seven nights, five shows and aching feet! We saw Book of Mormon (Oh My! I'm embarrassed to say how much I liked it :o). Lion King (had seen it on Broadway a few weeks before and enjoyed it a little more there). Wicked (also saw it a few weeks before on BW.) LOVED the BW version - it was hilarious! Glinda was absolutely riveting. In London, it was quite dry. Hardly any laughs but Elphaba was incredible! Kinky Boots (my first time) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And lastly.....Dreamgirls! We lucked out getting last minute orchestra seats during previews. The show was having a bad run of illness (they even had to cancel a show or two) and when we went, I think three or four of the understudies went up, including Effie's. We still enjoyed it immensely.

Back in the states, we caught A Bronx Tale (very, very well done) and Ailey. I've been desperately trying to win Dear Evan Hansen tx, to no avail, and have Hamilton tx for May. Oh, and the DD and DH saw Jitney, which they said was really good.

I've never been to a Broadway show. We have tickets to Wicked as part of our summer vacation to the East coast. What is the dress code for a show? I'm curious because we are going at 8:00 on a Saturday night and will be in the city during the afternoon. Our hotel is in New Jersey so going back isn't a convenient option. The plan is to eat a casual dinner and walk around Times Square before the show. What would be appropriate dress for the show, I do not want to be underdressed, but also don't want to be overdressed for walking around town...

I've never been to a Broadway show. We have tickets to Wicked as part of our summer vacation to the East coast. What is the dress code for a show? I'm curious because we are going at 8:00 on a Saturday night and will be in the city during the afternoon. Our hotel is in New Jersey so going back isn't a convenient option. The plan is to eat a casual dinner and walk around Times Square before the show. What would be appropriate dress for the show, I do not want to be underdressed, but also don't want to be overdressed for walking around town...

Casual dress is fine. I wouldn't wear sweats or like. A blouse or sweater, cas pants are fine.

At home we dress for the theater (well nice pants/skirts, no jeans etc) and I am very adamant about it. When we were in NYC we dressed for one show, because it was after dinner. However, the matinee that we went to, was a hot summer day and we were touring afterwards, so I broke my rules and wore my denim capris and the guys wore cargo shorts. It was totally fine. The people sitting behind us were wearing yoga capris and yoga tanks. That I didn't think was so great.
I am going to see Matilda on the West End in April, and due to limited suitcase space and touring, we will wear jeans there, so hopefully that is ok there too LOL.

I had a Disney on Broadway week. Wednesday I saw the Lion King- haven't seen it since I was 12 or so, and it was just as beautiful as I remembered. I got teary at points. We had fun seats near the front of orch right on the aisle, and I was scared out of my mind when the hyenas ran right past me and startled me. The Lion King is beautiful.

Last night I saw Aladdin, finally! SO MUCH FUN! It doesn't pack the emotional punch of TLK and isn't exactly a theatrical masterpiece, but it was just infectious- I smiled the whole time. James Monroe Iglehart lives up to the hype. SO much energy. He's going to be fantastic in Hamilton- I hope I can get in to see him. The only real "bleh" to me was Courtney Reed, who plays Jasmine. Her voice is super thin and unappealing to listen to. It kinda ruined "A Whole New World" which was staged in a really cool way. I loved it and had a super fun night.

I am so ready for Frozen to open! I love Disney on Broadway.

In Transit - Haven't seen it yet, but James Snyder is a dream! We love him!

Just returned from WDW - saw Kerry Butler and Kevin Massey perform during "Disney on Broadway" at the Arts Festival. We got to chat with Kevin afterwards - we've seen him in numerous shows and in NYC. Their performance was fabulous! We attended twice!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter