The Ace's 9-night June trip: Updated Part 2

8caliace

United States Air Force
Just back from a 9-night stay at SOG. I cannot remember a previous trip where we ate so much. Anyway, just about everything was great as you will read below.

Background: Me, DW, DS(9), DD(3), my mom, my brother and his fiancee Ali were the players. Not much of a breakfast group here, we tried to get to 1 counter service and 1 table service meal per day.

Arrival night: Since we got to WDW late (around 8:30pm), we decided to just hang out at SOG at went over to Evergreen's for some food. We ordered a pizza for the table to share, with a foot of onion rings, some chicken wings, a couple of dinner salads and some cheese fries(horrible!) with a couple of beers to wash it all down. The kids had cheeseburger kids meals. All in all, a very healthy start to our 9 days of pigging out. Food was what you might expect at any sports bar, and fairly cheap. Pizza was pretty good, but the cheese fries were terrible. The menu states "melted cheese", but it was actually like the cheese you get on nachos.

Rating: 6 out of 10 (mainly for convenience)

Day 1

-Breakfast: Starbuck's at SOG: DW and my mom were beyond thrilled to here about this new coffee stand featuring Starbuck's as they are both officially classified as Starbuck's junkies. Again, not a lot of breakfast reports with us but the one AM constant for DW and mom was coffee. There had been a lot of bad reports about the coffee here, but I am happy to say that they gave it big thumbs up. Some mornings also included pastries (muffins, scones, etc.) purchased with the coffee.

Rating: 10 out of 10 (from DW and mom, based on convenience, price and the fact they weer actually able to have Starbuck's while at WDW)

-Lunch: Coral Reef: Originally planned for later in the week, we were able to bump this up because my brother actually ended up having to leave earlier than planned. We had an ADR for 2pm, but showed up at about 1:30 and were seated within 10 minutes. We got a table in the middle row towards the far end of the restaurant. Great view of the tank obviously, and the kids loved it. Our server was very attentive, taking the time to go through the menu and answer all questions. My brother ordered the calamari appetizer and we even managed to get the kids to try a little. It was very good. We then received a basket of warm sourdough bread to keep us occupied until the entrees arrived. I ordered the NY strip with the au gratin potatoes and vegetables. So good! The steak was the perfect size and the demi glace really enhanced the flavor. The potatoes were awesome as was the roasted corn (didn't eat the aspargus). DW had the Mahi Mahi, my mom had the Vegetable Strudel, my brother also had the NY strip, Ali went with the Grilled Chicken Casear. DS enjoyed the kids Catch of the Day (Mahi Mahi), and DD had the pizza. As tempting as the desserts looked, we were to stuffed to eat anymore. All in all, this was right up near the top of our most enjoyed meals of the trip. Service was outstanding-plenty of drink refills, extra bread, etc. Great atmosphere, and the food was outstanding. I definitely think this will become a repeat restaurant for us.

Rating: 10 out of 10

-Dinner: Evergreen's: Ordered some takeout and ate in the room. Pizza, wings, and salad.

Rating: 8 out of 10 (good food while relaxing in the room)

Day 2

-Breakfast: Cinderella's Royal Table: After our last trip, this was all that our DD could talk about. The ADR was made as soon as we were able and she was ready. Our mealtime was at 8:10am, so we were at the gates of MK by 7:45am. People with ADR's were guided to the right side of the entrance to MK and allowed entrance. I seemed to remember having to provide our names last time, but this time it seemed like almost anyone could have said they had an ADR and were allowed in. Anyways, we took our time down Main St, pausing for pictures and such. We arrived at the Castle and waited a couple minutes in line to check-in. We were called in within minutes of arrival and entered the waiting area for DD's meeting with Cinderella. Again, just a couple minute wait as DD, dressed in her Cinderella dress, was ushered up to Cinderella for autograph and pictures. It was a rather quick meeting, which was somewhat disappointing, but she had a blast meeting and chatting with her again. Made our way upstairs where DD recieved her pink magic wand, and were seated in what would end up being a good spot, on left side of restaurant at a table in the second row from the windows. Turned out that we would be the 3rd or 4th table visited by the Princesses as they came out. Our server was great as we were immediately provided juice, coffee, pastries, and fruit upon sitting. DD was rather excited and had to be reminded to actually eat. The cinnamon rolls were rather good, and DW and mom enjoyed the muffins and croissants. The hot plates were next to arrive, with scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, and the blueberry pastry. DD's plate included french toast stick with syrup, bacon and eggs. The food was good, nothing spectacular, but good breakfast food. For us, it is more about the experience for DD than the food. Our server was very attentive, with plenty of juice and coffee refills. We were pretty well full with the initial offerings, so did not request anything more than some more strawberries for DD. The princesses on hand were the Fairy Godmother, Belle, Snow White, and Alice. I, for one, was thrilled to see Alice, as she has been my favorite since I received a kiss from her at Disneyland for my 5th birthday. All the ladies took the time to chat, sign autographs and pose for pictures with DD(and Alice with me!). We received our pictures about halfway through the meal, and they turned out very nice. As the meal required pre-payment, we were able to finish up and leave at our leisure and ventured downstairs for the opening of Fantasyland.

Rating: Food-7 out of 10, Experience for DD-10 out of 10

-Lunch: Pecos Bill's: Not a lot to report here as those of us who ate at Cinderella's were still pretty stuffed. But the others reported thumbs up on their items. Mostly burgers and fries for the group, and kid's chilled chicken and veggies for DD, who ended up falling asleep and finishing it off later. Her meal was a great deal considering it included chicken, celery, a mini bag of baby carrots, and applesauce.

Rating: 7 out of 10

-Dinner: This will be a split report as the group was split for dinner

Group # 1: Sunshine Seasons at the Land: DW, my mom, and DD ate here this evening and reported they liked the new set-up of the seating area. DW ordered from the Asian counter and shared with DD, while mom went with the Sandwich area. Both said the food was fine, but nothing spectacular.

Their ratings: 6 out of 10

Group # 2: This may not help anyone out there, but I will report anyway. Group 2 included myself, DS, my brother and his fiancee. Our dinner consisted of ballpark food at Tropicana Field. Our trip magically coincided with our beloved Anaheim Angels on a road trip to Tampa Bay. Upon arrival at the rather empty stadium, we were informed it was $1 hot dog and soda night. After watching batting practice and DS getting some Angel autographs and a ball tossed to him from an Angel, we made our way up to the food court area. The park had a nice variety of items to choose from, including an Outback stand and Papa Johns, and items including buffalo wings and sandwiched, and the more standard ballpark fare. DS and Ali went with the personal pizzas from Papa John's, surprisingly rather inexpensive at $5.50 when compared to prices at other stadiums. My brother and I ended up with the Buffalo Chicken sandwiches, which actually were a nice lightly breaded chicken breast with the buffalo wing sauce($7). The $1 sodas actually ended up being rather small cups, so 2 for each of us got us through the game just fine. The stadium was much nicer than I had anticipated, and I felt bad for the lack of support for the home team. I am not kidding when I say there were a lot of red shirted Angel fans in the park. Managed to chat with lots of people from near where I grew up in Southern Cal.

Ratings: 9 out of 10-c'mon, what is better than enjoying some food at the ballpark? I mean, aside from eating at WDW.

Day 3

-Breakfast: None to report as late arrival from baseball game, coupled with early wake-up(5am) for surfing lessons.

-Lunch: Typhoon Tilly's: After no breakfast, then the workout of the surfing lessons, I think I would have eaten one of the lounge chairs. But I did not have to as we went to Typhoon Tilly's after it opened. Food selections by the group included the Chicken Wrap, BBQ Pork sandwich, Chicken Caesar salad, and burgers. My chicken wrap was alright...a bit on the dry side, but I was really hungry so I did not mind. Everyone else seemed pleased, but we were not expecting gourmet fare in a water park. One additional thing, beware the psycho squirrels in the eating area. They were rather aggressive and hard to scare away.

Ratings: 5 out of 10

-Dinner: Kona Cafe: This was an unplanned meal, as we had visited MK in the late afternoon after recovering from the surfing. I was chosen as Veteran of the Day for the Flag Retreat ceremony at MK. We were without a plan for dinner, so we hopped on the monorail and decided to try for Kona Cafe. Checked in and were told about 30 minutes for a table. Well, we were seated in about 15, so all was good. We ate here on our first trip in 1999 and liked it a lot. This time was even better. First off, our server was awesome. Never near an empty glass for anyone, lots of bread and attention for all. After much deliberation, I went with the Turkey Medallions and I was not sorry at all. Fantastic meal...such tender and flavorful turkey with great chile sauce...mmm. My wife went with the pot stickers and a caesar salad and she thoroughly enjoyed all of it. My brother had the slow roasted prime rib, which was a nice sized piece and he devoured it. Both my mom and brothers fiancee did the Pan Asian pasta. I tried a bit of my moms, and it was great. Both the kids had the pasta, which was pretty standard. Only negative of the meal was that they ran out of the Apple Brown Betty dessert, but no hard feelings now. Again, overall great meal from beginning to end, not just because of the great food but also for the terrific service we received.

Ratings: 10 out of 10

Wow!!! Great reviews. :Pinkbounc

You're making me wish I was there right now!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thank you so much for your reviews! I'll be taking DD in Sept and have our ADRs set for breakfast in the castle. I've been debating over and over changing them as the reviews are not so positive. But I feel as you do, its the experience for her not the food or anything else.

Infact after reading your review I just bought her a cinderella costume off ebay! Her bday is next week so its perfect.

On with the show...

Day 4

-Breakfast: Tusker House: In between riding Everest and waiting for FP time for safari, we had a mid morning breakfast at Tusker House. I believe between everyone in the group, we pretty much had all the major items at our table. The breakfast plate was good, especially considering how much food you got for $5.29. Scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, potatoes, and biscuit. The kids each had cereal and milk, with giant cinnamon roll shared among the table. My brother went with the fruit and yogurt plate and Ali had the biscuits and gravy. Everyone seemed pleased with the food, and the counter service was very quick. The plan was to enjoy breakfast, and not really do much of anything for lunch in order to save room for dinner at O'hana.

Ratings: 8 out of 10

-Lunch: Evergreen's(again): After taking a midday break to swim at SOG, some people(namely my brother), decided they could not hold out for dinner and needed something to eat. So once again, take out in the room of pizza and wings. Proudly, I stuck to my guns to make sure I had plenty of room for later. Again nothing bad to report with the pizza.

Ratings: 7 out of 10

-Dinner: O'hana: We arrived just before 7pm for our 7:15 ADR. We actually did not even have enough time to get to the bar to order a drink before we were paged. We were seated in the main room on the left side near the windows, which was nice as last time we felt isolated in the other room. We were double teamed by a server and an assistant(can't remember names). The assistant immediately greeted us and took drink orders and returned quickly with said drinks. Our main server stopped by and went over the menu and how things would work(as if we were rookies). Soon we had a table full of all the appetizers and such. The table was rather crowded and made us wish they still used the lazy susans for the middle of the table. The only thing that we as a group did not really care for were the wonton chips. Otherwise, we managed to plow our way through multiple refills of the salad and the stir fry veggies. Especially popular were the wings, shrimp, and potatoes as we all really loved each of those. As far as the meats went, the sausage was the only one that was not liked by all. The steak and turkey were excellent and the most popular, with the pork receiving OK's from most everyone. No one was quite sure what to expect with the dessert as none of us are big bread pudding fans. However, once it arrived and we sampled it, it did not last very long. Excellent dessert, and it even made me forget about the pineapple and caramel for just a little while. All in all, this remains our families favorite place to eat in WDW and will continue to be a must do for us with each visit. Great service, excellent atmosphere as the kids did the coconut race and hula lessons, and of course the awesome food result in high ratings from us.

Ratings: 10 out of 10

Day 5

-Breakfast: Express Cafe at SOG: Just some pastries to go with the ladies Starbucks. A varied selection of muffins, doughnuts, and some poundcake. Quick and convenient.

Ratings: 7 out of 10

-Lunch: Le Cellier: This has been traditionally a favorite for us, so here we are again. We checked in a little early and were promptly seated. Our server was nice and patient with us as my brother had to step out of the restaurant for an urgent call from his work. Drink orders were taken and brought along with the first servings of bread and butter. As usual, fist fights nearly broke out among the family for the pretzel bread. My brother and I ordered the Beef Barley soup, and Ali went with the Cheese soup. I absolutely loved my soup, and our server provided the recipe card for us to attempt to make at home. Lunch entrees selected among the group were: My wife and I did a shared order of the Prime Rib French Dip and the Chicken Caesar Salad. The French Dip was excellent, but the salad was somewhat meager for the price. Tasty, but not very much there. My brother also went with the French Dip, while Mom had the Steakburger, and Ali tried the Barbeque Chicken sandwich. All seemed pleased, all some were unable to even finish their plates. DS had the kid's Sirloin, while DD went with the Grilled Chicken. Again, everyone was pleased with the food and service. Again, I had intentions of going for dessert, but was too full to try. While the meal was very good and the service was excellent, because of this being a staple of every trip, I may be getting bored with this place. Maybe skipping it on the next trip will bring back the desire to return at another time. But, all in all, a very nice meal.

Ratings: 7 out of 10(not because it wasn't good, just not spectacular)

-Dinner: Evergreen's takeout: Any guesses? How about pizza, wings, and salad. I really enjoyed taking advantage of this because the ease of ordering and picking up, then coming back to the room and relaxing was awesome.

Ratings: 8 out of 10

we will be going to Tropicana Field while we're there in Aug. Unfortunately our beloved Red Sox (I do love Mike Scioscia though) won't be there but we enjoy seeing different major league parks. I know this is OT but how was the trip from WDW to Tampa? How long did it take? Was it hard to get to the park? We're surprising DS with his dream car, a convertible Mustang, for the trip. Thanks for the info :thumbsup2

pooch-The trip was not bad at all. The only problem was traffic within a construction area around the Tampa Airport. We left WDW at around 3:45pm because we like to watch batting practice. We arrived at the stadium in St Petersburg at about 5:15. Just follow the signs to St Pete and you cannot miss it. They do free parking and it is actually a pretty cool stadium. I just felt bad that there did not seem to be a lot of support for the home team. Have fun.

we're really looking forward to the game. It's Seattle but almost any team will do. We're baseball fans!!!

Thanks so much! We are hitting several of the same spots so I'm glad to hear your opinions =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter