The 75% All New Trip! - All done! Bonus Material finished, Link to new TR!

The other end of Royal street is more how I pictured New Orleans. Sorry you had such poor service at dinner.

I'm guessing you mean the pretty side, not the one that smells like bodily fuids, stale beer an who knows what else.

Fantastic update! Love how you took a tut tut around the city. The oysters do look huge. Sorry Fran was;t feeling better. :hug:

And my guide totally made the trip. He was really sweet and had a lot of neat information. I didn't remember the half of it to relate here.

WOW! That's a lot of rain!

I guess that's how they have a river like that flowing through the area.

I'd like to buy at that price too!!

Yeah, even with inflation, it was still a pretty darned good deal!

How often do you get to pose with a taxidermy bear and boar!

I'm hungry and those cakes look delish!

They do. I would love to make a cake or something right now, but I have 8-10 pounds to take back off. It was 10 yesterday, 8 today, and I don't want to blow it by eating cake.

Awkward situation! Glad she relented to share the table.

I know. I found that many of these older folks were incredibly entitled and didn't care about anyone else on the boat.

We have parish's here as well. Over here, it's about the size of where the church congregation reside. A lot of our suburbs were later formed on the basis of those original church parish's.

Interesting to note. I'm glad that California did not end up basing it's jurisdictions on the Missions!

It seems you got a few gators in your shots. Yes, very pretty scenery.

I didn't feel like I saw a lot that day, but when I was going back through the pictures, I was pleasantly surprised.

Guilty as charged!

Actually you were not on the top of my list, but I will keep you in mind.

Aww, that's a shame.

I'll tell you now, think about a song by the Carpenters, "We've only just begun!"

That's even worse! Both of you!

Oh, and it gets even better! :sad2:

Olga was a grand cat. I'll miss her too. :hug:

She was lovely, but in the weeks before we left, she had really deteriorated. So much so that we invested in many disposable puppy pads. Her liver had gotten so bad that it was no longer processing the food that she ate. She would eat and it would go right through her. Since her passing I am feeding the cats one less can of food at the morning and evening feedings and they are fine with it. Plus Fran would give her at least three extra cans of Fancy Feast every day.

She was a right royal "Stitch".

::yes::

*shudder*
I would have run the other way!

Yeah, except that was away from my hotel. I couldn't wait to get back inside there!

It seems that many of the restaurants there employ that practice. Lowers the inhibitions, you're more likely to order the most expensive thing on the menu!

What a shame you didn't take the right fork last night.

Well I guess it just delayed the disappoitment. That is if I had the same waiter.

That's a shame.

Well at least there were some nicer parts.

Sorry you got him.

Me too!

All caught up! I'm going to need a ping for your Naked Jim TR, please.

I will definitely do so! Hopefully I'll have it started by the end of the week. I'm debating whether to do one more big update or drag it out into two small ones.

I forgot to mention that bread pudding looks incredible!

It was incredible! Other than the fact that I need to drop the weight I gained in WDW, I sure woud like some Bread Pudding again!

I'm guessing you mean the pretty side, not the one that smells like bodily fuids, stale beer an who knows what else.

Yes the pretty side...I get enough of the other side every day around my office.:rolleyes1:sad2:

Hi Alison!:wave2:

I think I actually made it through all of the updates since I last checked in!:faint:

In rapid-fire fashion:

I had no idea there was an actual "rouge baton" in Baton Rouge.

I don't "get" Mardi Gras, either.

IMG_8449.jpg

That just made me incredibly sad to see.

I'm so sorry about your cat, and sorry you and Fran were not feeling up to snuff over the last couple of days of the cruise. Good for you for seeing as much as you could. This is an area of the country I haven't really explored yet, so I've been fascinated to read about it!

Very nice update from your first two days in New Orleans even though the dining experience wasn't great that time.

Someday we must meet up. I bet it would be fun!

::yes::

Never made it. Only had it in restaurants.

It's easy to make. No baking involved even.

La la la la la la la

:laughing:

I'm surprised! Most Americans haven't heard of him, but given Fran's surname and her father was raised in Oklahoma the family evidently speculated a bit.

Did she research it by any chance?

:rotfl2: I would love to see you do it! :lmao:

:laughing: I would, too. For the right reason.

Plus it was a Saturday. Everyone knows they jack up the limits on weekends.

Yup.

They must have been wearing cement shies cause they weren't floating in the river.

Wait... Was this a Chicago river cruise?

I'm happy sticking with the cream based, which is why I got broth instead.

What? Do you mean you decided to step outside your comfort zone?

I'll let you test that one out.

I watched a video of a guy who purposefully let a gator bite his arm.
He was bigger than the guy in your photo, though.
But not so big you couldn't hold him.
It took a loooooong time before the guy could get his arm out of its mouth.
Got some good punctures too.

I concluded that the guy was an idiot.

Plus it was an hour and a half long tour.

As long as it's not a three hour tour.

(a three hour tour)

This is Tesla giving his relative "the look".

I know that look.
Usually it was followed by my hand being bloody.

There is a standard gratuity that they charge to your room for each person that you are involved with (ie Stateroom host, Server, backup server, head server) and you can't lower it.

I absolutely, categorically despise that.

Tips should be for good service.
Not poor. Not adequate. Good.
You want a tip? Earn it!

And I tip well (at least I think so)

You can only increase it and by this point, most people have either added their tips or left them at the standard.

:sad2:

Hope again, call this foreshadowing....

Oy.

Yeah, the big difference between this and a Disney cruise is that in the morning you got the luck of the draw with servers. Chances are the morning shift is different than the evening shift so your "regular" servers may not even be there.

Ah. Gotcha.

On the AQ, they just tried to avoid us so that things that were not self serve they didn't have to deal with. As I said getting coffee was like pulling teeth!

Well, that just sucks.
I would be sooooo tempted to seek out a supervisor and demand a refund on my forced tips!

So you're not left hanging, it was Olga's time.

Sorry to hear that.

That was expected, but everything else worked out OK.

Well, that's good at least.

There are two states currently, but others are considering similar laws. North Carolina is one, they have made a law that people must use the bathroom of the gender they are born with, not the gender that they identify themselves as.

Ah! It was NC that I'd heard about. That's why MS didn't ring a bell.

The other state is Mississippi who has passed laws stating that folks do not need to offer customer service to folks that take them outside their religious comfort zone, so they can deny services based on their religious beliefs.

Which means they can not only bar LGBT but other religions too, then.

Wow.

Evidently there are other states that have similar laws pending. But we're not supposed to discuss politics here. :rolleyes1

I know. So I'll drop it.
But I will say that I'm shocked.

It turns out that pictures are not allowed in any of the buildings in the CBD (Central Business District), and a security guard reprimanded me for it.

Putting the camera away and agreeing with the guard is the easiest and generally the better way to go, but...
He was dead wrong.
From looking at your pictures, and a bit of Googling, it looks like the CBD is a neighborhood and you were in some kind of mall? While malls are private property, they are open to the public so that makes them public spaces where you have every right to take photos. Sure you could push back and tell him you have the right, but it's probably not worth the hassle.
You can take pictures of practically everything in public (including celebrities and children, actually, unless there's an expectation of privacy) unless it's a matter of national security (an example I found was military bases.) They can't take your camera from you, that would constitute theft.

mmmm.... looks yummy.

It was about this time when Jim called for guidance. For those of you who have cats, you'll know that the sure sign they are ready to go is when they lose their desire to eat. Up until the day we left, she hollered at us when she wanted another "special" can of food, so she went downhill in less than a week. He took her in, the vet called to verify this is what we wanted and shortly thereafter she went to the Rainbow Bridge. We will miss her but she is now in a much better place.

Said it already, but I'll say it again.
Sorry to hear about your loss, Alison.

we decided to visit Meyer the Hatter. It's the oldest and largest hat store in the South.

Cool!

She got a straw Fedora.

Believe it or not, by grandmother's first name was Fedora.

I was amazed to see how well they got the detail right modeling this part of the city after that land in Disneyland, you know where the Haunted Mansion is located?

:laughing: Oh, you...

The whole area was a lot more seedy that I had expected, but maybe that's because we were on the street where the Hustler club was located!

1. I never knew there was such a thing.
2. You should've gone in! (unless there was cover charge... then probably not worth it.)

We saw the Google mobile on our way back to the hotel.

I went to Google street view to see if I could find you, but no luck.

I walked towards Canal street and the first thing I saw was McDonald's.

No.

I should hope not!!

"Stitch, why you walkin' so damn slow girl?"

A girl at the back of the pack said, "She wasn't tawkin' to you."

And front of the pack girl says, "Oh yes I was!"

I could almost hear the “snap” in her voice.

By the way, she didn't refer to me as a loveable mischief making Alien, but instead a word that rhymes with his name.

Was she angry? Or just kidding? Or?...

We got dressed for lunch and just as we were headed down to the lobby to catch a taxi, we got a call from Fran's Rheumatologist office. They had called in the prescription to the CVS on the corner, plus they called in a Z-pack just for good measure.

Good service.

Lunch today was at Commander's Palace, a long time New Orleans favorite. Emeril Lagasse got his start here, but the place was on the map long before that.

Cool!

We were seated immediately and I was amazed by the long line of waitstaff that were lined up on the way to the dining room. Each and every one of them greeted us and welcomed us.

Dining in the Grand Manner indeed!

They had three flavors and of course I can't resist a blue drink.

Of course. Few can.

I was a little hungrier so I got a whole bowl of the gumbo.

mmm.... gumbo.

On our way back, Fran told me that this one excursion was too much for her today and she wouldn't be able to keep our dinner reservation for this evening.

Poor Fran. This sucks for her.

I was sad, this night’s reservation was at Brennan's which is known for having invented tableside Bananas Foster.

<whimper> so want.

I decided that I was going to see about hiring one of those bicycle guys with a back seat to take me on a tour of the French Quarter.

What a great idea! Never would've thought of that.

It seemed Samantha finally saw fit to come home. Phew!

Oh, good!

I'm glad it worked out the way it did because my guy Kevin was awesome! Even though I took his picture at the end of the tour, I'm going to post it first so you know who is telling me all this great stuff!

He looks like a fun and friendly dude.

He was really excited for me having a visit to Antoine's planned

Me too!

told me all about their two kitchens. One for the Oysters Rockefeller and one for everything else.

Really!

The Major of New Orleans from 1812 to 1815 had offered his home to Napoleon during his exile from France. Though Napoleon never made it to New Orleans the name stuck.

Huh. Interesting. (Knew he never made it, but still...)

The Cabildo, is an old Spanish Court on the edge of Jackson Square. It was where the Louisiana Purchase documents were signed.

Cool.

And Preservation Hall

Had to Google that one.
Sounds (no pun intended... well maybe a little) interesting.

On the East side of the French Quarter was a section where Kevin told me you could experience “trad jazz”. First time I had ever heard that term.

First time for me too. I presume that's short for traditional?

Enjoyed all the photos, but that one stuck out.

This is a swanky hotel where all kinds of celebrities have stayed. I don’t remember who any of them are, but evidently it’s a very discreet hotel where their privacy is ensured (well at least after they arrive).

I took a look and while the hotel website doesn't have prices, I did see that average prices were around $215 - $376.

I just chilled in the room until it was time for my reservation and then headed over to the place. This is why I was here.

Well, that certainly explains it.

When he brought me the plate, I was shocked at how large they were. He told me the guy even traded out some bigger ones.

Those puppies are big!

I couldn't finish all the oysters because they were just too darned big, and they were starting to gross me out having to chew them so many times.

I think I'd be the same. One or two, sure. But that'd be about my limit... if I'd order them at all.

I decided that the oysters were enough protein to fill me up. If the appetizer didn't come before I finished my wine, I was just going to pay the bill and go.

:sad2: I despise poor service.

Of course this generated all kinds of hubub, first the waiter tried to make it right,

Sure. When suddenly his tip is on the line. Please.

Then the manager came over, gave me his card and told me to talk to him personally when I came back tomorrow and he would take care of me.

Wonder what he would have done.

I'm finally catching up on all of my watched threads so a mega reply is coming your way.

I got super motivated this week and I even cleaned out my travel cooking kit. I replaced all the packets, spices, and condiments in here with newer ones and even made new labels. The last time I updated it was probably around 2008 or 09 when we started staying in DVC units.

I love this. I have something similar in our camping box and I'm planning on packing a smaller version for WDW.

Those who followed the house Saga remember that there were some nasty neighbors who wouldn't approve our building plans (it's a historic district). Well her friend painted their house, but they shunned the historic committee and painted it the color they initially wanted and not the one that was approved. The commission said they would let it go if no one complained. One. Person. Complained. They had to repaint. I laughed because I know just who it was. Our next door neighbor. Isn't it funny what a small world we live in?

Geez Louise. Almost makes you wonder if they just sit at their front window waiting for someone to do something so they can immediately complain.

For our main we had Roasted Prime Rib of beef. This was absolutely perfect. Cooked to exactly how I like it and they gave me real horseradish to go with it!

Oh Mylanta, this looks fabulous! I love it when they serve it with horseradish too. Yummmmm!

Now really what the hostess should have done is just waited until we went to dinner and taken care of our room.

What she really should have done is just kept quiet to you about it and complained to her co-workers later on. LOL I would have been tempted to take longer every night just to irk her off.

I had been feeling a tickle in my throat.

Ut-oh....no bueno. I am familiar with that tickle and it's never a good sign.

They were not light fluffy little pillows of goodness, they were doughy little boulders of evil.

This made me laugh out loud. Sorry they were so evil.

That is a cool bottle. That distillery tour sounds really interesting. And free rum punch?? Where do I sign up??

I found it interesting that all these houses were built on stilts.

We have a lot of houses like that here in St. Louis and where I grew up in Iowa. It provides some protection from the floods but sometimes Mother Nature is a real you-know-what and even being on stilts doesn't save your house.

Can you imagine riding up this impressive drive in your horse and carriage?

Absolutely gorgeous!

Another look at the slave staircase.

I would totally break a leg walking down this!

All week I had wanted to get this shot!

Proof of your animal magnetism

Our guide (who by the way sounded EXACTLY like Ray the Cajun Firefly in Princess and the Frog)

Great. Now I've got that sound stuck in my head lol

He admitted to us that he liked to help guests with their bags because any excuse to get him off the ship was a bonus. Otherwise they might ask him to clean toilets or something!

Smart man but also very sweet of him.

When we got off the boat my phone started exploding with sounds indicating text messages, emails, all sorts of other alerts that I couldn't get due to poor WiFi on the boat. Most were inconsequential, except for one from Naked Jim. It was rather long, but the gist was that one of our cats, Samantha, had gone out Sunday morning and didn't come home. Also Olga, who had been somewhat lethargic before we left had deteriorated to listless and no longer wanting to eat. We had anticipated this day and left all the pertinent vet information in case it came down to it. It was still only 6:30 in California so we just waited on any action.

It was about this time when Jim called for guidance. For those of you who have cats, you'll know that the sure sign they are ready to go is when they lose their desire to eat. Up until the day we left, she hollered at us when she wanted another "special" can of food, so she went downhill in less than a week. He took her in, the vet called to verify this is what we wanted and shortly thereafter she went to the Rainbow Bridge. We will miss her but she is now in a much better place.

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about Olga. I know how special she was to you guys. :hug:

Sorry your NOLA portion has gotten off to such a rocky start. I've heard that Bourbon Street has gotten pretty undesirable. That's one of the reasons I kind of crossed it off my bucket list. Sounds like you had a really knowledgeable tour guide though!

Yes the pretty side...I get enough of the other side every day around my office.:rolleyes1:sad2:

Is that because you work at the Poop plant or because its in a seedy part of town?

Hi Alison!:wave2:

I think I actually made it through all of the updates since I last checked in!:faint:

In rapid-fire fashion:

I had no idea there was an actual "rouge baton" in Baton Rouge.

I don't "get" Mardi Gras, either.

That's OK, you have a good reason to be MIA, besides I've been trying to wrap this one up quickly. If I can swing it I hope to have the new TR today or tomorrow.

And yes evidently there was a red stick somewhere in the history. I don't mind the food and drink of Mardi Gras, that I get, just not all the funny outfits.

That just made me incredibly sad to see.

I'm so sorry about your cat, and sorry you and Fran were not feeling up to snuff over the last couple of days of the cruise. Good for you for seeing as much as you could. This is an area of the country I haven't really explored yet, so I've been fascinated to read about it!

I had no idea that so many places in the US don't have safe drinking water. The south is summer of 2017 for you guys?

Thanks for the sympathy for Olga. We were surprised she made it as long as she did. Liver tumor/cancer isn't a very good diagnosis.

Very nice update from your first two days in New Orleans even though the dining experience wasn't great that time.

Thanks Bret! The next night was better!

It's easy to make. No baking involved even.

Maybe once we get the old place cleaned out I'll find a recipe and make one to celebrate.

Did she research it by any chance?

No just things other family members told her.

:laughing: I would, too. For the right reason.

That I'd want to see!

Wait... Was this a Chicago river cruise?

:rotfl2:

What? Do you mean you decided to step outside your comfort zone?

No. I didn't order the soup on the menu because it was outside of my comfort zone!

I watched a video of a guy who purposefully let a gator bite his arm.
He was bigger than the guy in your photo, though.
But not so big you couldn't hold him.
It took a loooooong time before the guy could get his arm out of its mouth.
Got some good punctures too.

I concluded that the guy was an idiot.

I would come to the same conclusion.

As long as it's not a three hour tour.

(a three hour tour)

:laughing:

I know that look.
Usually it was followed by my hand being bloody.

Usually it my forearm. He bites the hand, but uses his back legs to kick my arm. He doesn't mess around!

I absolutely, categorically despise that.

Tips should be for good service.
Not poor. Not adequate. Good.
You want a tip? Earn it!

And I tip well (at least I think so)

Yeah, but then there's that contract you signed which let's you on the boat that says you'll allow them to deduct the tip from your CC on file. :rolleyes1

On Disney cruises, we always give them more. They work really hard and most of their pay is tips.

Well, that just sucks.
I would be sooooo tempted to seek out a supervisor and demand a refund on my forced tips!

Contract. Fine print.

Ah! It was NC that I'd heard about. That's why MS didn't ring a bell.

That one was first.

Which means they can not only bar LGBT but other religions too, then.

Wow.

Yeah, that's even more far reaching. It can extend to all kinds of discrimination.

I know. So I'll drop it.
But I will say that I'm shocked.

I can't believe that in 2016 this stuff is still going on.

Putting the camera away and agreeing with the guard is the easiest and generally the better way to go, but...
He was dead wrong.
From looking at your pictures, and a bit of Googling, it looks like the CBD is a neighborhood and you were in some kind of mall? While malls are private property, they are open to the public so that makes them public spaces where you have every right to take photos. Sure you could push back and tell him you have the right, but it's probably not worth the hassle.
You can take pictures of practically everything in public (including celebrities and children, actually, unless there's an expectation of privacy) unless it's a matter of national security (an example I found was military bases.) They can't take your camera from you, that would constitute theft.

Actually the guard was a she, and she seemed to have a chip on her shoulder. There was an office building attached that was at least 14 stories, but the first two floors were Mall/Food Court. I didn't see any harm in taking pictures of restaurants. :confused3 But I'm the kind of person who usually says, "Yes M'am" and does what I'm told.

mmmm.... looks yummy.

It was really good! The brisket was slow cooked and tender with a ton of flavor. I didn't expect that on my first bite.

Said it already, but I'll say it again.
Sorry to hear about your loss, Alison.

It was sad, but it was better for everyone involved. There are consequences when pets/humans get that old and such.

Believe it or not, by grandmother's first name was Fedora.

That's kind of a cool name!

:laughing: Oh, you...

Lrotfl2:

1. I never knew there was such a thing.
2. You should've gone in! (unless there was cover charge... then probably not worth it.)

No thanks. I'm sure there was a cover, and I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the kind of folks that were probably in there.

I went to Google street view to see if I could find you, but no luck.

I think it was on it's was back to the Mothership and not taping.

I should hope not!!

:rotfl2: I hate having to stoop that low at home, certainly not in New Orleans!

Was she angry? Or just kidding? Or?...

I have no idea. Luckily they were walking really fast and passed me by quickly, but I was just sort of taking my time strolling. But I realized that being out on the street in the dark by myself probably wasn't a great idea.

Dining in the Grand Manner indeed!

It was!

Of course. Few can.

I just love Blue Curacao. One of my favorite drinks in college was a shooter called, "Windex" I can't even remember what was in it. Probably Vodka, Blue Curacao, triple sec....who knows what else.

mmm.... gumbo.

It was good, Duck and Venison sausage.

<whimper> so want.

:sad1: So did I

What a great idea! Never would've thought of that.

They were all over so it wasn't hard to come up with the idea. However when I started to look for them I had a hard time finding them.

Oh, good!

Yeah, she likes to wander away from the house. And with the Coyotes wandering the neighborhood it's not good for her to be out at night.

He looks like a fun and friendly dude.

I had fun with him (good clean fun) and you'll see he makes a repeat appearance.

Me too!

Really!

I saw on a TV show before we left that the owner (descendent) of Antoine's got married and the husband thought finally he would get the recipe for the dish, but no. :laughing:

Huh. Interesting. (Knew he never made it, but still...)

Cool that the name stuck.

Had to Google that one.
Sounds (no pun intended... well maybe a little) interesting.

As a music scholar and having done a thesis on the saxophone, that was just something that has always been in my knowledge base, but I can see where other folks wouldn't have inherent knowledge.

First time for me too. I presume that's short for traditional?

I guess. Just wondering what "non traditional jazz" would be.

Enjoyed all the photos, but that one stuck out.

This end of the quarter was very picturesque.

I took a look and while the hotel website doesn't have prices, I did see that average prices were around $215 - $376.

I seem to remember him saying that Brangelina stayed there before they bought a house, and maybe the Clintons.

Well, that certainly explains it.

His reputation and cooking ability are what sold me on him. Not his boyish good looks. When he was on The Next Iron Chef, he was my candidate that I was rooting for. His dishes always sounded so tasty. Then when Katrina hit and all the wonderful things that he did for the people who were left without a home. That was the reason I wanted to try one his restaurants.

Those puppies are big!

I think I'd be the same. One or two, sure. But that'd be about my limit... if I'd order them at all.

If I go back, I'll be skipping the oysters.

:sad2: I despise poor service.

Me too. There are so many places where I get excellent service, I hate when I get bad service.

Sure. When suddenly his tip is on the line. Please.

Wonder what he would have done.

Yeah, I'm sure that was all that was on his mind! I bet the Manager would have taken good care of me.

I'm finally catching up on all of my watched threads so a mega reply is coming your way.

I'm ready!

I love this. I have something similar in our camping box and I'm planning on packing a smaller version for WDW.

That sounds great, if we could go camping I would bring this on trips too!

Geez Louise. Almost makes you wonder if they just sit at their front window waiting for someone to do something so they can immediately complain.

No they sit out on their front porch and walk and drive the neighborhood looking for stuff. These people are militant about their historic district.

Oh Mylanta, this looks fabulous! I love it when they serve it with horseradish too. Yummmmm!

I asked for the horseradish, but it was so good! I've already put Prime Rib on our dinner list sometime in the next few weeks!

What she really should have done is just kept quiet to you about it and complained to her co-workers later on. LOL I would have been tempted to take longer every night just to irk her off.

Yeah, that's true. I'm too nice, I just took the candy, papers and whatever and let her off with a pass on the second cleaning.

Ut-oh....no bueno. I am familiar with that tickle and it's never a good sign.

Yeah, it became really no bueno.

This made me laugh out loud. Sorry they were so evil.

They really were, they were like lumps of dough. I have had beignets and even though it was Disneyland they were way better than what they had on the boat.

That is a cool bottle. That distillery tour sounds really interesting. And free rum punch?? Where do I sign up??

I think you have to be on the boat, the price is not worth just a drink, but I bet if you went there, you could work out a deal!

We have a lot of houses like that here in St. Louis and where I grew up in Iowa. It provides some protection from the floods but sometimes Mother Nature is a real you-know-what and even being on stilts doesn't save your house.

Thats so crazy. Especially for us in a drought, I can't imagine getting flooded like that but I don't even want to!

I would totally break a leg walking down this!

The sad thing is that no one would have cared except for your family. It's awful how the slaves were treated!

Proof of your animal magnetism

Either that or they were trapped in that shot!

Great. Now I've got that sound stuck in my head lol

Not that I remember it that well, but we couldn't understand a word that he said!

Smart man but also very sweet of him.

We were so thrilled that he led us out of there, because we had no idea where we were going!

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about Olga. I know how special she was to you guys. :hug:

Yes she was special, but by the end, she became quite the handful. I'm glad that it all worked out. I'm not sure I could have returned home to what we had to do before we left. Especially being that sick.

Sorry your NOLA portion has gotten off to such a rocky start. I've heard that Bourbon Street has gotten pretty undesirable. That's one of the reasons I kind of crossed it off my bucket list. Sounds like you had a really knowledgeable tour guide though!

I wouldn't say cross it off, just avoid the part within a couple blocks of Canal Street otherwise it was much better. See my next update.

I'm sorry I didn't comment very much but I found your river cruise experiences very interesting--thanks for the great report. Of course, looking forward to your newest Orlando report that's waiting just around the river bend--so to speak.

--Karilynn

New Orleans Day 3

I woke up feeling pretty good on this day. I even went down to breakfast at about 8AM and had one of the Hampton's famous Waffles. They had bacon too so it was a good day for free breakfast! Fran actually wanted me to bring her back a bagel and Cream cheese as well as hot chocolate so that was a good sign. She actually could taste the bagel and said it was good! Another sign!

She asked me what the plan for the day was and I told her that it was all up to her. "Make a suggestion." She says.

"Dinner at Antoine's?"

"Can I see the menu?"

I pulled it up on her tablet, she perused, and I guess it was OK because she said "Sure, but I think I better take it easy all day to rest up." I agreed and decided to work on the computer for a bit while she slept. I wasn't feeling all that great myself and had been pumping myself full of cough drops, taking the extra strength mucinex twice a day, vitamin C, and her coughing pearls. After I posted another update, and read some of your updates I decided to get some sightseeing in, or more like sight tasting.

From my bike tour with Kevin the day before I knew that the streets closer to the river were a little more "family friendly". So once I crossed Canal Street, I turned right down to Decatur. As I approached Decatur I got a text saying that the Family Room door was left ajar. I pictured all my little kitties scampering on the back lawn, scared to death by the busy traffic noises on the busy street on the other side of the 14ft high walls.

I called Jim and he was actually sitting at the bistro table that is right outside the door. He hadn't closed the door all the way so the sensor registered it as open. Phew! Easy fix!

As conversations with Jim go, it was somewhat long and I finally sat down on some steps to finish our chat. It also gave my legs a nice little break.

I had wanted to travel light so I didn't bring my purse. Just my phone, the P&S camera, some cash and my Disney wallet. It's a small wallet with two pockets, enough for my pass, ID, credit card and a gift card. We had one of those laminated maps of the city and I took a picture of the region where I was headed so that I could consult it on the way without having to carry the big fold out map.

On my way to my first destination I found a shop advertising cooking classes and I took a brochure so I could be sure and schedule one of those for our makeup visit. And just a little farther up the same block was my first stop, Pat O'Briens. I didn't need no fancy souvenir glass, I just wanted a Hurricane from the place from whence the came.

Boy this bad boy had some alkeyhaul in there! I was only about one third through the drink when I could feel it hit me! Just about the time when I was finishing my drink it started to drizzle so I headed out and onwards to my next destination.

I was in search of the fried pillowy goodness that is Beignets. Fran had told me that if I wanted I was welcome to bring her back some. There were two lines and at first I got in the wrong one. I didn't want to be seated at a table.

I wanted ToGo. So I found that line and called up my buddy Kevin to see if he was available to take me back to the hotel. He was all too eager and said he'd meet me there. The line was about 20 minutes long.

Finally I was getting my Beignets. They come in bags of three and I don't know what I was as thinking I got four bags or a dozen total.

As I walked towards the street. I grabbed one out of the the bag and ate it right away. Kevin was waiting for me, and completely understood my lack of patience. It was a quick trip back to the hotel and when I reached to room the Beignets were still warm.

Fran ate her sack of three. I'm not sure if I ate three or not, but I think that was not the best choice for lunch. :rolleyes1

Since this was our last full day, I started to pack up some of the clothes I was sure we wouldn't need. I made Fran pick out her outfit for dinner and the next day and much of the remaining clothes went in the suitcases. I decided to take a power nap for about 45 minutes, but I didn’t get any sleep and got up to work on the TR on the computer. Now that I was back on the land of WiFi I wanted to get as much prewritten as possible. “We'll see if this post comes close to going up before I leave for WDW!” FYI I'm writing this on the plane home and a month from the day this was written I'll already be on my 3rd day at Disney!

Eventually we got all gussied up and headed down to catch a cab. Antoine's was not nearly as far as Commander's Palace, but still far enough that Fran wouldn't want to walk it.

We were seated promptly and the dining room wasn't busy at all. We probably didn't need a reservation, but I always feel better when I have one. The Menu

Evidently wrapping the bread in a napkin is a thing here.

The Oysters Rockefeller were a must do! These were a little bit spicy but were definitely excellent.

I loved how they gave you this little card to tell you which serving number of this dish you were eating.

We also got the onion soup. It was divine.

We got a crabmeat gratin. At least I finally got one.

This is where I was wondering if the Beignets for lunch was such a good idea. I was feeling a tad bit queasy, but after two nights in the hotel room, Fran had a second wind. She ordered these puffed up French fries which were really good even with the queasy tummy.

And then she ordered a spider AKA the deep fried soft shell crab. I took a small bite, but it was too much for me. She ate hers and half of mine!

The table next to us ordered cherries jubilee which is flambeed tableside. He made quite a presentation flaming up the table in addition to the dessert itself.

It's funny how things work out. While I couldn't eat any more dinner, when it came to dessert I seemed to have my appetite back! We split the Peach Melba, but somehow I think I ate more than she did.

We paid the check, but I wanted to get a picture of us. Our waiter was a much older gentleman who even had a hard time hearing our orders and the restaurant was rather quiet. I knew he wouldn't do, but there was a young millenial girl who was doing back up serving and bussing tables. I asked her to take the picture and I think she did a pretty good job.

We caught a cab back to the hotel. Fran suggested we do a little packing up and I flatly refused. I was too dang tired. Instead I crawled right into bed. I may have woken up a few times in the night for a bio break, but I slept soundly.

New Orleans Day 4

At some point in the morning Fran told me that she thought it was best we just hang around the hotel until time to leave for the airport. I thought this was a good idea because I was fully in sick mode now. It was probably around 7AM when we had this chat and I didn't want to get out of bed at all. Finally at 9AM I figured I better get the suitcases finished packing so we could check out on time.

We remembered the filter for the big camera and picked that up from the front desk. It barely came out of its case on this part of the trip! Everything was packed by 10:30AM and I just laid on the bed for 20 minutes wallowing in my sickness. My tummy was all torn up from the sinus and cough medicine and I decided while I waited for the plane I would go up to the Vietnamese noodle shop in the food court for some chicken noodle soup.

The bellman promptly took our bags and stored them for the next hour and a half. Fran wanted to go to the business center and see if she could use their toner to print some stuff she had received via email while we were gone. She had already had me try this on the boat and I knew it wasn't going to work, but I let her try anyways. She always tells me "You're so negative." So I've adopted the philosophy, don't tell her something won't work, just let her figure it out for herself.

I went and got my Pho, it was great, they kept the noodles and veggies separate from the broth so I could add them when I planned to eat it. Plus I didn't have to put in the cilantro and jalapeños which were included. It hit the spot.

I mean Chicken Soup is Chicken Soup no matter what ethnicity!

It also came with a spring roll and I gave that to Fran so she was happy.

Finally it was nearing time for our cab so we went down to the lobby and loaded it up. The trip to the airport was quick and our cab driver got us express baggage service from one of the porters curbside. We completely bypassed the line!

Once inside the terminal they had a special security line for Wheelchairs and there was no line. Of course it takes us forever to get through security as we have two laptops, overshirts, hats, and one carryon and personal item each. They took Fran aside again, but not her bag. I think they wanted to wand her bionic parts.

All put back together again we headed to the gate. We wanted to make sure the scooter was gate checked to LAX and verify our third seat. The porter had only given us two boarding passes. The gate agent gave us the 3rd seat paperwork and even added our Rapid Rewards numbers to our flights! And yes the scooter was covered as far as gate checking.

Next was food. The flight was 4+ hours and as you know Southwest has no meal service. We got a Subway foot long to eat on the plane, some chips and then a hot dog to eat right away.

Boarding was no problem other than we had to remove stuff from Fran's carryon to get it to fit in the bin. And then it was a long relatively boring trip. I typed the last few days of this TR while on the plane. Fran mostly slept. They gave us some nonperishable snacks and between that and the cough medicine, I wasn't hungry for the sandwich.

We were about 20 minutes late landing. Picking up the car took forever. We have since vowed to look for a new parking service and while we weren’t thinking enough in advance to do it for the WDW trip, we have made arrangements for the Vancouver trip in July.

The kitties were happy to see us. In fact the potty cats were so happy when I went into my bathroom, they ran ahead of me with such a fervor, I knew that I was still loved.

Recap

So when we first came home from this trip folks asked me, “Did you enjoy your trip?” and my answer was, “uhhhhhh, grumble, I don’t know.” But as I have recounted this TR I realized that there were lots of great moments. It was incredibly educational and I had so much fun learning about the river and it’s communities. I would definitely take another trip on this boat, and we are for sure planning a redo of New Orleans and Louisiana! All in all it was great fun and I consider this trip a sampler so that I can plan a much better trip in the future!

But as I have recounted this TR I realized that there were lots of great moments. It was incredibly educational and I had so much fun learning about the river and it’s communities. I would definitely take another trip on this boat, and we are for sure planning a redo of New Orleans and Louisiana! All in all it was great fun and I consider this trip a sampler so that I can plan a much better trip in the future!

Glad that the trip was a success in retrospect--sorry that it had to include fighting sickness towards the end. If you decide to look into sailing the Empress sometime in the future, I'd love to know. Now I'm headed off to mark the new trip report :)

Is that because you work at the Poop plant or because its in a seedy part of town?

I haven't been at the Poop plant for over a year, I took a promotion to another department. Now I'm in a seedy part of town.

Glad that the trip was a success in retrospect--sorry that it had to include fighting sickness towards the end. If you decide to look into sailing the Empress sometime in the future, I'd love to know. Now I'm headed off to mark the new trip report :)

I'll keep you in mind when we start to consider the Empress, we really enjoyed the boat, and hope to do a similar thing again, but I think we will avoid high spring!

I haven't been at the Poop plant for over a year, I took a promotion to another department. Now I'm in a seedy part of town.

I didn't know if the new job took you away from the poop plant or not. Sorry you are in a seedy part of town now.

And just a little farther up the same block was my first stop, Pat O'Briens. I didn't need no fancy souvenir glass, I just wanted a Hurricane from the place from whence the came.

Oh yeah. I've heard they are fantastic but pack quite a punch.

The Oysters Rockefeller were a must do! These were a little bit spicy but were definitely excellent.

Those look...interesting....

Recap

So when we first came home from this trip folks asked me, “Did you enjoy your trip?” and my answer was, “uhhhhhh, grumble, I don’t know.” But as I have recounted this TR I realized that there were lots of great moments. It was incredibly educational and I had so much fun learning about the river and it’s communities. I would definitely take another trip on this boat, and we are for sure planning a redo of New Orleans and Louisiana! All in all it was great fun and I consider this trip a sampler so that I can plan a much better trip in the future!

I'm sure your sickness didn't help your initial review of the trip but I'm glad you've had time to review it again. It certainly seems like a lovely trip full of wonderful memories. :)

Finally! Caught up again!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

So sorry about Olga, I know she was very special :(

You did not sell me on New Orleans. I'd rather have the sterilized version in Disneyland. The rat. The smells. The rude girls on the street. I'll stick to Disneyland.

I'm glad overall you enjoyed the trip. Sorry you both ended up getting sick at the end.

Looking forward to your next trip!!!

Sorry to hear you got so sick. That takes the fun out of a vacation, but it does seem that looking back, you did enjoy some stuff. I'll be spending a few days in NOLA later this year. I'm used to New Orleans Square in DL, so it should be interesting to see the real thing.

I'll move over to your new trip report. I've been reading your reports since I joined the forum. You seem to always have one going on.

t turns out that pictures are not allowed in any of the buildings in the CBD (Central Business District), and a security guard reprimanded me for it. Well someone should tell the tourists that!

Uh yeah that doesn't make sense:confused3

Another :hug:

They did it spot on!

I finally had my first one at Vegas last year. Actually, two in a row, but the second one with 2 extra shots:eek: The sugar killed me!

We saw the Google mobile on our way back to the hotel.

Check Google maps, maybe you'll show up!:laughing:

What a luxury to leave the water running for the whole shower and not have to turn it off when you aren't actively rinsing some kind of soap out of your hair or off your body!

You are awesome at conserving! :thumbsup2

"Stitch, why you walkin' so damn slow girl?"

A girl at the back of the pack said, "She wasn't tawkin' to you."

And front of the pack girl says, "Oh yes I was!"

I could almost hear the “snap” in her voice.

By the way, she didn't refer to me as a loveable mischief making Alien, but instead a word that rhymes with his name.

No way :sad2: I'm sorry this happened to you.

I messed around on the computer a bit and even put up a "lost cat" post on this Neighborhood based group I'm a part of. It's similar to Facebook, but instead of your friends, your neighbors are logged on. Besides lost animals and free stuff available, you can find out about why police sirens were blaring in the middle of the night, and crazies and transients who you might want to look out for in the neighborhood.

This is really cool! How did you find out about this when you moved in? I think all neighborhoods should have this. Both my neighbors are cops so if anything is going on on our street, we're one of the first to know which is great:thumbsup2

I had heard about their 25 cent Martinis

:hyper:

Very pretty and what a cool way to see New Orleans. Was it a one seater or two?

I had struck up a conversation with the couple on the banquette next to me and they agreed the waiter was lousy. Sure enough. Wine finished, no crab dip. So I signaled the waiter, told him to cancel the rest of my food and just bring me the check. Of course this generated all kinds of hubub, first the waiter tried to make it right, but certainly he couldn't do anything. Then the manager came over, gave me his card and told me to talk to him personally when I came back tomorrow and he would take care of me. Maybe, but not if I'm going to Antoine's!

That sucks, you were excited about trying dinner here and it ended up being a total bust!

As I approached Decatur I got a text saying that the Family Room door was left ajar.

Your security system texts you?! What company do you have??

Boy this bad boy had some alkeyhaul in there!

:rotfl2: Love the way you spelled that!

They come in bags of three and I don't know what I was as thinking I got four bags or a dozen total.

Uh, you were totally right in your thinking to get four bags!

This is where I was wondering if the Beignets for lunch was such a good idea.

Oh...okay maybe that wasn't smart after all..

While I couldn't eat any more dinner, when it came to dessert I seemed to have my appetite back!

Always happens to me too!

I went and got my Pho, it was great, they kept the noodles and veggies separate from the broth so I could add them when I planned to eat it. Plus I didn't have to put in the cilantro and jalapeños which were included. It hit the spot.

There's a great Pho place in Visalia that packages it like this too, so I can add as much or as little of the add ins as I want!:thumbsup2

Being sick can totally cast a black cloud over your memories for sure. That's all I think about on my one trip to DLR when I was supposed to hear your band play and DH and I got terribly sick. Ugh it was awful but the first day or two was a lot of fun. But I know there's always redo's for DLR, so I really do hope you get a redo for New Orleans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter