Thanksgiving at WDW

Staci RS

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone,

We are planning our very first trip to WDW November 23 - 29th and I would love some advice on any special events that we shouldn't miss out on at this time of year. Thanks in advance for any feedback. (We are traveling with 5 adults and 3 children ages 7, 4, and 2)

Staci Schwarz
Des Moines, Iowa:jester:

Bumping this up for you! Has anyone been to WDW at Thanksgiving?

These are the exact dates we will be there! We've been twice during this time. The parks are not near as crowded Mon-Wed as Thursday and Friday. We try to do the major things we have to get done Mon-Wed. Really take advantage of these days. They are pretty managable. Thursday at MK is a zoo- but we travel with our family and my mom insists on it. We plan a character meal at lunch. Take advantage of EE and FastPass. They say the other parks on Turkey Day aren't as bad. The resorts are decorated when you arrive and there are a few things in the parks. Wed. MK looks pretty normal, but when you walk in Thursday morning- Christmas!!! Candelight Processional usually starts Friday night at Epcot. This is a must do if you've never seen it. It is a musical and the story of Christmas- done at night. Get in line early though! The Osborne lights are usually up at MGM too- but they are in question for this year. There is a thread about this on the theme parks and strategies board. This is a great time to go. We have always had great weather- shorts and maybe a long sleeve early in the morning and at night. You get to see the parks with and without decorations. Just have a plan for Thursday and Friday- they are crowded. See you there!

We were at WDW during Thanksgiving in 1999. You MUST walk down NY Avenue at MGM one night after Spectromagic. I don't want to spoil the surprise but it is one of my favorite memories of that trip!

Don't forget to make PS Dinner arrangements as soon as you can. Many of the restaurants serve a traditional Turkey Dinner with all of the trimmings. If attendance/occupancy is really high, Disney has been known to add Buffet Dinners at some of the Convention Centers, but be forewarned, walking into most any restaurant on Thanksgiving Day will normally not get you any food.
Remember, most groups are large family parties on the holidays, and most of the restaurants will be "filled" with PS arrangements.

We have been at WDW Thanksgiving week 4 years in a row. Be sure and pack some jackets w/hoods for the little ones. Maybe even some cheap mittens too. I know that it is FL but... we almost froze too death a couple of times! At night watching fireworks at Epcot it can be very cold near the lake!
Also PS are a must! One year we overlooked PS for Thanksgiving Day! Thought that we were out of luck...a CM had pity on us and squeezed us in at Crystal Palace!
Relax and have a magical time at WDW Thanksgiving!!!

I've posted before about visits during Thanksgiving. For years (about 8 or so) we went during this time. Our trips were usually Thursday - Sunday. For years it was fantastic! Could literally walk onto rides. About 3 or so years ago everyone caught on to the secret. I will NOT go anymore over those days. All the parks were so crowded that you couldn't turn around without dodging people. It wasn't relaxing to me at all. I heard the week AFTER Thanksgiving is great! Also, two years in a row we froze! None of us had gloves and none could be found at the parks 'cause they sold out of them so fast. We didn't pack sweaters either so we ended up putting on about 2 layers of t-shirts and 1 long sleeved t-shirt that we all had packed. Forget buying sweaters there unless you want to pay an arm and a leg or give up your ifrst-born. I would pack a fleece and take a jacket. Quit a few people had ski caps on too. So plan ahead for the unthinkable in good 'ole (sunny?) Florida!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter