Taking 15 month old to Disney World

jasmith34

Earning My Ears
I will be taking my DD (15 months) to Disney in September. I took her last year at three months old but I am expecting a completely different experience this year. The trip will include my parents, myself and DD. We plan on renting a stroller and using a pack and play provided by the resort. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

We took our son for his first visit at 14 month and we had the best time!

We went with the attitude that we would see what we could and not worry about what we missed. This was back when there were paper fast passes, so it is a bit different now that you have to plan so far out. It's awesome that you will have your parents along. With this new FP system you can take advantage of baby swap in conjunction with baby swap to essentially double your FP's.

I might consider taking along a stroller that reclines, the rental ones are really hard. It's kind of sad to see kids sleeping in them. Also, you will want to use the stroller beyond the parks. Our son would konk out in the stroller and we would stop for a drink or snack in a shady spot.

Plan a character meal, it's a much easier way to meet the character. Maybe show your daughter some videos of people seeing them so she can see how it goes. At that age DS2 was terrified, I have funny photos of him lunging away while I stood next to Buzz.

It's so easy to bring a toddler to Disney. It will be awesome for you to have that experience with your daughter and her grandparent! Have a super time!

We took our son for his first visit at 14 month and we had the best time!

We went with the attitude that we would see what we could and not worry about what we missed. This was back when there were paper fast passes, so it is a bit different now that you have to plan so far out. It's awesome that you will have your parents along. With this new FP system you can take advantage of baby swap in conjunction with baby swap to essentially double your FP's.

I might consider taking along a stroller that reclines, the rental ones are really hard. It's kind of sad to see kids sleeping in them. Also, you will want to use the stroller beyond the parks. Our son would konk out in the stroller and we would stop for a drink or snack in a shady spot.

Plan a character meal, it's a much easier way to meet the character. Maybe show your daughter some videos of people seeing them so she can see how it goes. At that age DS2 was terrified, I have funny photos of him lunging away while I stood next to Buzz.

It's so easy to bring a toddler to Disney. It will be awesome for you to have that experience with your daughter and her grandparent! Have a super time!

We're actually renting a stroller from an outside company. It's the City Mini stroller. We rented it last year when she was 3 months and loved it.

I had great trips with my son at 8, 11, and 16 months. Be prepared for the possibility that your LO may be afraid of characters. DS liked them at 8 and 11 mos but at 16 mos wanted nothing to do with them. My son did great on all the rides every time. You will have a great trip! Also, cover your stroller as September is storm season. Ours got soaked in a downpour and it was not convenient. It was perfectly sunny when we went into the attraction.

Took DD last October, she was 13 months. Just go with the flow and plan for breaks and be flexible. We got lucky because DD would just fall asleep in the stroller(we brought our own) so we could walk around and do what we wanted while she slept. I would also suggest bringing your own stroller. I had originally rented but the money didn't seem worth it, and we were able to gate check ours no problem. Not sure if you are flying or not but it's really not a big deal to gate check and your DD will be more comfortable in her own stroller I think(plus it's a huge help to have at the airport).

Just have fun! Allow for changes, allow for breaks. Plan according to her schedule, if you can. You will have a BLAST! We certainly did!

We took our daughter at 18 months. At 4 months, she adored the characters, smiled at all of them and have so many sweet pictures. At 18 months, she was terrified of them! Did not want to be near them, have her back to them, nothing. She did love the face characters, but Mickey and Goofy, etc. were too much to handle. Don't be disappointed if this happens to you. We took her on a Disney Cruise 8 months later when she was 2 and had much the same experience. She warmed up to some by the end - nearly running to Sofia, before remembering who she was running to and racing back to me - but didn't quite shake it off. We just went to WDW in October (over a year since our cruise) and she adored every single character! What a difference a year can make.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter