Sydney to Disney... overwhelmed! (Feb 17 PTR?)

Kind of a lame update but I bought a pair of Skechers today knowing I'll need a good pair of walking shoes for Disney and LA! They are sooo comfy... might have to buy some pairs in the USA since they are much cheaper! :tigger:

I wear nearly solely Skechers. They are my favourite shoe ever! I have bought my fair share in the US. They also have ones we don't.

Kind of a lame update but I bought a pair of Skechers today knowing I'll need a good pair of walking shoes for Disney and LA! They are sooo comfy... might have to buy some pairs in the USA since they are much cheaper! :tigger:

Do check with your doctor/podiatrist if you start having foot problems. I bought a couple of pairs of skechers in Las Vegas in 2012 and loved them, they were super comfy to wear. Turns out that they didn't have enough support for my feet and I ended up having really severe foot/heel/calf issues because of them. I hobbled through most of our 2015 trip in pain - all through Disney World and Disneyland. After we got back, I saw a podiatrist and he recommended that I never buy skechers again! I got some orthotic inserts made up and my feet have improved 100% since then.

I still think Skechers are a nice comfy casual shoe, but I wouldn't use them for extended walking anymore.

This may not apply to you, just wanted to advise what happened with me, and what to do if you start developing issues.

I used to have Plantar Fasciitis, and my heels were really painful for years. I started wearing Skechers and they got better. Unfortunately now when I wear anything other than Skechers, ie, my runners with a built up innersole, my feet hurt.
So yes, Skechers are very flat, but very comfy. I guess it depends if/what feet problems you have.

I used to have Plantar Fasciitis, and my heels were really painful for years. I started wearing Skechers and they got better. Unfortunately now when I wear anything other than Skechers, ie, my runners with a built up innersole, my feet hurt.
So yes, Skechers are very flat, but very comfy. I guess it depends if/what feet problems you have.

Yeah correct. I have flat feet so I really needed the arch support that the skechers didn't provide. I wish they weren't so comfortable, I might not have worn them so much from 2012 and developed problems! :)

Do check with your doctor/podiatrist if you start having foot problems. I bought a couple of pairs of skechers in Las Vegas in 2012 and loved them, they were super comfy to wear. Turns out that they didn't have enough support for my feet and I ended up having really severe foot/heel/calf issues because of them. I hobbled through most of our 2015 trip in pain - all through Disney World and Disneyland. After we got back, I saw a podiatrist and he recommended that I never buy skechers again! I got some orthotic inserts made up and my feet have improved 100% since then.

I still think Skechers are a nice comfy casual shoe, but I wouldn't use them for extended walking anymore.

This may not apply to you, just wanted to advise what happened with me, and what to do if you start developing issues.

Oh no! I'll definitely keep that in mind, thank you for the heads up!

I also heard this after I bought a pair (advice from a friend whose podiatrist had said this after she bought a pair after loving the look of mine) and yes, super comfy but I find longer wearing them, my foot rolls in so for long day's walking I am back to my proper hiking shoes that I wear bushwalking and save my Sketchers for shorter 2-3 hour out and about.

Speaking of shoes... I bought a pair of orthopedic sandals today from Mathers... wore them for a couple hours... the strap is broken! They weren't cheap and I definitely didn't wear them out THAT fast, so they'll be going back tomorrow. So frustrating... they were really comfortable though.

We extended our trip! Waiting to hear back from the Airbnb but the points were next to nothing to make the change, so we're staying two extra nights. Still only 3 in Anaheim but I am sooo looking forward to exploring LA. This means we will probably do Universal, too!

Last edited:
So I checked my bank account today... and I was in the red because Qantas took out my extra leg room seat fee AGAIN. The girl I spoke to was super helpful but it's still five days until I'll have the money back. :mad: On a happier/more positive note – this time next week will be LESS THAN 100 DAYS! :tigger:

Masters in Public Health? Awesome - congratulations! I'm procrastinating over my Master's research proposal at the moment - so well done on actually submitting and getting the ball rolling!

Yes! It's the first year my uni will run the degree so it should be interesting! Good luck with your proposal... what are your studies in?

My travel card arrived today! Glad I locked in a slightly better currency exchange rate than we're seeing right now. Will continue to add a little bit from my wages each week and I think I'll be set for what I need and what I want while at Disney/in LA. :)

I know I can't book them for a little while, but can someone tell me re: dining reservations whether numbers have to be exact? If I book for five and only four come, will that be okay?

I know I can't book them for a little while, but can someone tell me re: dining reservations whether numbers have to be exact? If I book for five and only four come, will that be okay?

One more annoying question... can any Aussies recommend a decent, relatively affordable point-and-shoot style camera? My SLR is so fidgety, I can't stand it and the battery life is terrible. I had one similar to this but it was probably lost in one of our last dozen moves...

One more annoying question... can any Aussies recommend a decent, relatively affordable point-and-shoot style camera? My SLR is so fidgety, I can't stand it and the battery life is terrible. I had one similar to this but it was probably lost in one of our last dozen moves...

I love love love my Sony Cybershot HX90V :goodvibes They're not the cheapest cameras around, but you can't beat the picture quality for a point and shoot (especially at night), and the zoom is just incredible! I took my avatar pic with the previous model. They're pretty compact too. Mine will fit into a large pocket, and my smallest handbags. I get a full day's use out of the battery, even on Disney days when I'm taking 500+ photos per day. Just plug it in overnight and it's good to go again in the morning.

I love love love my Sony Cybershot HX90V :goodvibes They're not the cheapest cameras around, but you can't beat the picture quality for a point and shoot (especially at night), and the zoom is just incredible! I took my avatar pic with the previous model. They're pretty compact too. Mine will fit into a large pocket, and my smallest handbags. I get a full day's use out of the battery, even on Disney days when I'm taking 500+ photos per day. Just plug it in overnight and it's good to go again in the morning.

That was a little over what I was thinking of spending BUT looking at the specs and your review I'm going to look around and see if I can get a good price. It sounds really good. Thank you so much.

WE BOOKED OUR TICKETS TODAY! Two day park hoppers for my mother and I. I can't remember the last time I was this excited... I've been having DREAMS about going for the past couple weeks. :tigger:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!