• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surfing near Aulani/ food options

disneymom503

Earning My Ears
we leave for Aulani in a few months and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for surfing lessons for DS 10 and his friends who is 11 near Aulani?

We are also looking for any good food recommendations outside of aulani. We will have a car and are willing to drive. Mainly looking for non seat down pleases where DH or I can pick up and bring back to Aulani!

Thank you!

So, depends on when a few months is. Once you hit late fall/December, most of the North Shore is not a good place for novices to surf.

Highly recommend Surf HNL. They are great and take you to a beach not too far from the resort with great beginner waves.

I dream about surfing, it seems so hard to learn, but I started buying surf stuff here https://easy-surfshop.com/. For your kids, there are excellent surf schools in Oahu near Aulani, like Hans Hedemann Surf School. For food, try the famous Giovanni's Shrimp Truck or Matsumoto Shave Ice in Haleiwa – both must-visit spots for a quick, tasty bite. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
I’d also recommend Haleiwa as it is well known for its food trucks. The immediate Ko Olina area doesn’t have a huge selection of restaurants so we did tend to drive quite a bit further afield. Island Country Markets is just across the road and serves some good deli meals, though we found the quality variable and the deli does close quite early. Monkeypod is a good option just opposite Aulani and we saw people taking out pizzas from there though it is primarily a sit down restaurant. They have a great happy hour with $12 pizzas.

Over in Kapolei (5 min down the highway) there’s “Broke da Mouth Grindz” - one of the best local food joints on that side of the island. Nothing fancy, just truly good local fusion food. They call Hawaii the “melting pot of the Pacific”, and it always was visible for me growing up in the food. Korean, Japanese, and Philippino flavors are well represented in ways that are truly representative (and local) to Hawaii.

We try to hit up all of the familiar local places I grew up with when we go back, plus the high end modern Hawaiian restaurants (RIP Alan Wong’s). This is one of the few restaurants that my wife immediately wanted to go back to after we ate there. She actually ordered an extra dish to take back to the room for a late night snack. 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter