** Super Surprise Sweet 16! ** It'll be Bunga-rific! **

ajh88

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! I'm Amy and after many, many moons on the Dis, I have FINALLY decided to do a trip report. I love reading trip reports - some make me laugh, others make me cringe, and they all teach me something - so hopefully this will do at least one of those things for someone!

The Cast:

Me (Amy) - I am a Disney convert - my DH laughs at me now because on our first trip together (c. 2000) I literally said "oh, we will probably go this time and maybe once more when we have kids"....ahem, this is now our 17th trip. In the real world, I am a pharmacist. At Disney, I'm the planner extraordinaire and DH always gets a little nervous when I start sentences with, "This might be crazy but ..." - thankfully, he is pretty much just as crazy as me.

DH (Tim) – the root of our family’s Disney obsession – he grew up loving Disney, he worked at the Disney Store for a few years, his brother has worked at WDW for over 20 years, he has participated in Disney trivia competitions…you get the picture. He is fun-loving and carefree – very much the yin to my yang! He is a rock star stay at home dad and he is responsible for pretty much every other aspect of our trips…packing the car, driving, herding our son, schlepping luggage, pack-muling, picture taking, and video camera-ing.

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_392398090620.jpeg

DD (Mae) – the center of our focus this trip, our sweet, beautiful, smart, sometimes sassy daughter. She will turn 16 at the end of April and we figured this would be a great gift (and really, we were planning on going to Disney anyway). She is a sophomore in high school, plays trombone, works at the school coffee shop (where she gets paid in food), loves art, and aspires to be a speech/language pathologist. She has grown up at Disney and I love seeing things through her eyes, even as she grows into a young woman. Every surprise and special thing I plan for this trip is hopefully to bring her some of the joy that she brings to us every day.

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRESORTSANDMORE_7836631992 (683x1024).jpg

DS (George) – our little non-stop spitfire – the youngest member of our troupe, he is a whir of perpetual motion – he is 3 and suffers from apraxia of speech (lack of speech) – although I shouldn’t really say he “suffers” from it – he is quite good at communicating most of the time, just not with words. (Mae had this as well – a few years of speech therapy got her going and we are confident he will respond to therapy also). He is an absolute light to behold – smiles, energy, wonder, and delight – all of the wonderful things that a 3 year old should be, he is. Of course, life isn’t without freak outs, which is Mae’s primary job…keep George from freaking out (usually a snack or bubbles does the trick).

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7834658955 (683x1024).jpg

Honorary CM Booper – Mae’s BFF, we invited her along as a birthday gift to Mae. This will be our first time bringing a friend along (we’ve toyed with it in the past, but it never worked out), so we are nervous about it, but the girls are both excited, so I’m confident it will be great!

Well, heck, my introductions took a lot longer than I expected…guess I should just make another post for our itinerary and plans…and figure out how to link said post here.

Post #2 - When/Where/Surprise!

Last edited:
When are we going?

Either March 17 to March 24 OR May 19 to May 26. I have two identical trips booked at the moment (even down to ADRs). Originally we planned on a Spring Break trip but, I work at a small pharmacy and we have TWO technicians due to have babies within 2 weeks of each other at the end of February/first of March. On the other downside, if we go in May, it will be the week leading up to Memorial Day PLUS the first week of June, I’m taking off 2 days to go to Chicago to see Hamilton (Mae’s Christmas gift). So, I would essentially be at work for only 2 days in a 2.5 week span. I suppose my boss will have to pick his poison – I kinda hope he chooses May because it’s a little less expensive, might be a little a little less crowded, and Flower & Garden has been extended to the end of May, so we wouldn’t miss it.

Where are we staying?

The Polynesian. It’s been our “home” since our first stay there in 2011. We have stayed in various resorts over our years at Disney, but once we stayed at the Poly, it has been darn near impossible for us to stay anywhere else. (I don’t count the one night we stayed at Art of Animation before a cruise).

What is so Bunga-rific?

George loves Lion Guard, especially Bunga. So, that is one thing. The other thing, well, WE TOTALLY BOOKED A BUNGALOW!!! Yes, it’s crazy, yes, it’s expensive, and yes, we’ve probably gone mad – but, Mae will only turn 16 once and this is going to be unforgettable (hopefully for all the right reasons!).

What else is so surprising?!?

A couple of other little surprises we have in store are that we are going to spend 2 nights at Universal before we get to WDW, we are going to do either Tiana’s Ice Cream social or the Star Wars dessert party (if offered), planning to order the Ohana Twilight Feast and eat dinner in the bungalow then watch the fireworks from our deck, something from Disney Florist (haven’t totally decided yet), dinner at Shula’s, and afternoon tea at Garden View Tea Room.

That's the overview...I'll get to a more detailed itinerary (with any and all feedback appreciated) eventually. Now to see if I can figure out how to link this post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter