Super dumb credit card question

puck

Earning My Ears
I'm not sure how to phrase this, hence the question. I read here a while back that you can be on someone's credit card but not be an equal partner (I'm not sure how to say this). I am on my husband's cards but don't have full access if you will. They are very reticent with me when I call to discuss the accounts even though they have issued me cards on these accounts in my name. This has always irritated DH since I do all the bills he didn't understand why if I was added to his cards over twenty years ago they still act like this. I just want to be an equal partner with full legal power on the cards in case of my husband's incapacity or passing etc. WHAT IS THAT CALLED? TIA.

Fwiw it sounds like you are currently an "authorized user". An authorized user can use the cards but is not the account holder and therefore can't make changes to the account or discuss the account with the company without the permission of the account holder. I don't know about joint accounts but I did come across this in a quick google search so it might be of some help to you: https://www.thebalance.com/joint-account-vs-authorized-user-960212

ETA: not a dumb question! :)

You need to set it up as a joint account.
Or actually, your husband will have to do that, since it's his account. Or the two of you could open a joint account elsewhere. Or you could open your own account.

You said "This has always irritated DH since I do all the bills he didn't understand why if I was added to his cards over twenty years ago they still act like this." Your husband set it up this way. It doesn't matter how long ago he opened the account. If it isn't a joint account they shouldn't be talking to you at all.

I've also had issues with some of the utility companies ( cable, etc.) that if the accounts are in my name only or my DH's name only, they won't discuss the account without authorization.

One of our cards had me listed as the authorized user as well so I couldn't do everything (i'm the one that handles in our house too). DH just called up and told them to let me do all the stuff he could and they put me on. No reason to open another account or even get a new card.

In my experience it depends on privacy laws and how the account is set up.

If the account was set up in your husband's name and if you are just listed as an authorized user they may only be able to discuss certain aspects of the accounts and not be able to discuss other aspects of the account as you are not an actual joint user just an authorized user. A common scenario is when parents add their children onto their accounts/cards as an authorized user. You wouldn't want your 16/17 year old for example calling and inquiring about all sorts of account information or requesting to change all sorts of account information;I'd expect some information to be available to an authorized user but not all (again though could depend on privacy laws too).

Don't really know the specifics of how the account was set up and it may not be the case here but just throwing it out there.

Your husband will have to call and say he wants to add you as a joint owner of the account. They will then send him a paper to fill out and sign. We had to do it recently with a card that was opened in DH's name with me as an authorized user. I take care of all the bills, like you do and so we had me added and now there is no problem.

I'm not sure how to phrase this, hence the question. I read here a while back that you can be on someone's credit card but not be an equal partner (I'm not sure how to say this). I am on my husband's cards but don't have full access if you will. They are very reticent with me when I call to discuss the accounts even though they have issued me cards on these accounts in my name. This has always irritated DH since I do all the bills he didn't understand why if I was added to his cards over twenty years ago they still act like this. I just want to be an equal partner with full legal power on the cards in case of my husband's incapacity or passing etc. WHAT IS THAT CALLED? TIA.

Have your husband call the credit card company and tell them that you are authorized to speak to them about the account (my husband did this so that I could pay or call to ask questions about his account that he uses for work that I don't ever use).

But if you want to have full use of the card, he needs to ask to have you added and the account listed as a joint account.

Be aware that they may pull a credit bureau and could also ask for your income when adding as a joint account since they are legally extending credit to you as well. They will also have to fulfill the various Patriot Act requirements for identity verification, which may include asking for your social security number and/or pulling a credit bureau or other verification.

And if you are joint, you are now legally liable for all charges to that account, regardless of who made the charges. I'm not implying that this is an issue of trust between you and your husband. But it's a legal issue especially in the event that one of the account holders dies. An authorized user normally has no legal obligation to pay the bill (moral obligation, probably; legal obligation, probably not). A joint account holder does.

I'd open a joint account. If your husband were to pass away, I don't believe you could continue to use his account. This could be an issue if you haven't established enough of a credit history on your own and needed to open up a card only in your name.

Do you have a card in your own name? I firmly believe everyone should have a card in their own name. You never know what the future holds and you need to be prepared.

In addition to opening one make sure you use it occasionally so it stays valid.

Call the credit card company while he's there and they'll ask him if he authorizes a release of information...that's basically what my husband did...now I can call anytime. It's for "security"

I would definitely have yourself set up as a joint holder of the account. This was a problem for my mother when my father passed away a few years ago. A lot of our accounts were in his name and I was a teenager at the time with a card on his account. It's tough to remember now but I think A lot of our lines of credit were no longer available to us because they were in his name only. It's much better to be a joint member

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter