Super Bowl weekend reviews

DISNEYDEVOTEE

Mouseketeer
We slipped into town without the kids for a long weekend 2/3-2/6. Stayed at BWV on DVC points. We purchased the Dining Plan to give it a run through for our Easter trip with the kids.

My initial thoughts are that the DP is a bargain. I think that you need to eat your sit down dinners in above average locations (not ESPN) for it to balance out in your favor. With some planning and due diligence that should be simple enough.

We showed up with no reservations or the like. Saturday night we got shut out at Yachtsman Steal House, it was packed, and with no pref seating we had to go else where. We walked into Spoodles and where given buzzer and a 30 minute weight. FYI- the buzzer does not work inside of the ESPN bar area and it tells you so! They should add a small bar in that lobby to service people waiting IMO. The menu here used to be so interesting. Now it has been dumbed so much so that to call it "Mediteranean" is a joke. We had the flat bread and lamb appetizers. Both were good, but the lamb was very small and only a tasting.

Entree's were just ok. I had the steak, my wife had the pasta. My steak was ordered MR, it came MW. They offered to take it back but it had already been a long day,it was tasty, but only an average cut of beef. The pasta was average at best. They could try a little harder with that dish, maybe some green peas, some proscuito, anything! Deserts were an excellent creme brulle (2).

We used the DP for lunch at the ABC commisary. Maybe it was a bad day but the burgers were rubbery and fishy. We have always eaten here and never had any issues with it, it is simple food usually done right. The lunch did include the large bottle of water (which was nice) and a so-so chocolate mouse. Kids might enjoy it, but it was far from a decent mouse. The strawberry parfait was not so great either. We had a few tastes of each but did not finish either of them.

Not to be shut out from Yachtmans' again I nabbed a ressie for that night. NOW THAT WAS MORE LIKE IT! We had never dined here. It was fabulaous from start to finish. Yes, this does take 2 DP credits, but it was worth it. We had the scallop appie and the tomato salad app. Both were perfect.

Entree's were the porter house for me, and the rib eye for my wife. Both done perfectly. The only complaint came from my wife, the horse radish butter/sause on her steak was a little to much, next time, same steak, sauce on the side. Desserts were an excellent key lime pie for me and an OK warm chocolate cake for her. This used up our table service credits but well worth it! (this was super bowl sunday, maybe that was why we got in!).

After dinner, we went into the Crews Cup lounge to see the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. What a great place! We had never been. Cozy, fun, friendly. They had door prizes, drink specials, just alot of fun. Not to pricey for cocktails.

Monday we went for Lunch the first time at Japans counter service. Nice location, very tasty lunch (I can not remember entree names). We both had a similar dish but mine came with a shrimp egg foo young type extra. I enjoyed the iced green tea. The desert's were nothing that I would have ordered had I not been on the plan. They were tasty, but not earth shattering.

Monday night we went to ESPN for dinner (cash). This is always a steady and safe meal. They don't kill you on any of their prices and deliver a good, well paced meal. A burger for my wife and the hot dog for me. Both what you expect.

At ESPN, Mark Ferrara was there. When I was there about 2 years ago, I was there on a night when he was to leave for regular TV. I asked a camera man about it, and he said he has been there for the 9 years he worked there? Even on subsequent trips, he was not there. Anybody know what's up with that?

Sorry for being so long!

Bellmawr Bob pirate:

Thanks for the report! We had eaten at Spoodles a few years back & it was good. Sad to hear things have changed there.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Yachtsman! I have recommended it here before, but our last trip didn't live up to expectations. I wasn't ready to rule them out, quite yet. So, I'm happy to hear that you liked it.

Maybe they changed the sauce on that ribeye. When DH had it in October. It was a delicious red wine butter sauce. But our last trip my BIL had it & commented that it was too strong. He didn't mention horseradish & I didn't taste it. He doesn't like red wine, so we just assumed it was not to his taste.:confused3

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter