Summer Bay Villas Review

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
Checked into Summer Bay Sunday May 21. Chekcin was very smooth and efficient. Had reserved a 2 bedroom Summer Bay Villa (there are condos and villas) through RCI. I was offerred the upgrade to a 2 bedroom condo for $20 per night about a month ago and declined it.

Went to our 2 bedroom villa. The leather couch was ripped on both arms, the carpet looked like it had been through a war and the entire place was very dark--even with the lights on. My son didn't want to move all our stuff again and told me to just live with it. I did call the front desk and complain and ask that they note it so that I wasn't charged for the damage after checkout. DS, his DGF and my DGS went to the pool while I went to the Super WalMart to do some shopping. Got back and decided to read in bed-----the light wasn't bright enough. Called to ask if we could get a brighter bulb--NOPE. So decided to read in the living room. Looking up at the light fixtures (mainly over the dining area table) I see cobwebs and the oultine of dead bugs in the light fixture. I drive over the the clubhouse because they say there is an RCI rep onsite. Onsite means they are located in abother building and are not available now but guest services can make an appointment for me tomorrow. I go back to the villa. I stew this over for awhile and call the front desk. I ask for a manager to come to my room. A manager comes and 2 maintenance men. I point out the couch, the carpet, the low lighting, the damage to some walls and tell him I am very upset and disappointed. He says he will arrange for an 'upgrade" for me tomorrow, complimentary---and they will move all of our stuff--including the groceries.

At the park on Monday I receive a call from yet another management type telling me she has upgraded my upgrade and a new key will be waiting for me at the security gate. We get to the new place about 4:00pm. THIS IS AN UPGRADE??? It looked like they had gone to their storage shed and pulledout any old furniture--the living room was a mixmatch of sofa and two chairs. The two beds in the second bedroom had stained throw pillows on them and we later discovered one of the beds was actually broken. The master bedroom looked ok but again there were dead bugs in the light fixtures. But they did move all of our things and even put the freezer/fridge stuff away. Decided to suck it up and stay. During our stay we noticed bugs (insect type mostly) and the floor was dirty. I buy a new cheap pair of slipper whenever we travel and always wear them in the new place. By the middle of the week their bottoms wereBLACK--not dirty--pitch black. After that everyone wore socks while in the condo. They did leave us 4 passes for a complimentary game of mini golf and put some ballons on the unit for my DGS--so they did try.

Guest service at the resort was good but the units themselves left something to be desired--a lot actually. My main comments would be dirty, rundown and in need of a good pest control company.

Belle1962 said:
Looking up at the light fixtures (mainly over the dining area table) I see cobwebs and the oultine of dead bugs in the light fixture.

That's why I never look up at home!

Seriously though, I've never stayed in the Villas, but I've always heard they were not as nice as the other parts of the resort. We've stayed in both the Summer Bay Resort and the Houses at Summer Bay and found them to be terrific.

Sorry your experience was not as nice.

Sheila

We stayed in a villa at Summer Bay last July and I am feeling quite fortunate that our unit was not like the ones you had.

We won a 2-bdrm unit through Skyauction and it was our first time using Skyauction and our first visit to SB. I was a little nervous myself about both.

Fortunately for us it worked out fine and I will say that the villa we had was nothing like the one you were put it. It was clean, the furniture was in good condition and not a single bug siting all week.

The resort did not seem very full when we were there so perhaps they put us in a nice unit hoping we would buy into it....I guess we just got lucky.

I'm sorry your experience was so different and I would have been very upset over those accomodations as well.

Wow! That is terrible. We stayed there last summer in a 3 bedroom lockout (condos not villas) and it was great. Our family really enjoyed everything about the resort. I too have read that the villas weren't as nice, so I will make sure not to stay in one if we return.

Belle1962,

If it's okay with you, I'm going to zip your review up to the Reviews Board:)

Thanks for the great post about the Villas...we've wondered about them too! :goodvibes

:sunny:

Thanks for moving it.

To clarify--Summer Bay has 3 "listings" --villas, condos and the houses at Summer Bay. My experience was with the villas only. And again--guest service was excellent it was the units themselves that had issues.

ditto stayed at summer bay and the villa was clean, no problems

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter