Stroller for older kids?

My dear Dad never liked strollers. The minute my kids could walk he had them walking everywhere. They were seasoned "hikers" well before we set foot at WDW. Our very first trip DD was 3 1/2 so we had a small "disposable" umbrella stroller. She walked a good part of the day. Next trip she was 5 and we didn't have a stroller at all.

I would highly recommend to get your kids up and walking prior to the trip if they aren't "good" distance walkers. It really makes a difference not being tied to strollers (gotta love playing "where's my stroller" after exiting a ride)

Gotta love that someone posts asking for a stroller recommendation and gets multiple posters basically telling her her kids are lazy, and she needs to have a workout regimen for them.:rolleyes:

Some kids need strollers, some don't. Neither group is wrong or bad. Fwiw, we used strollers for a few trips and never felt it was the huge hassle some are making it out to be. Maybe it was for them, but it isn't for everyone.

My daughter will be 7 in December. She is halfway to her black belt karate and a good soccer player. I consider her to be in great shape and i am still planning to do a double stroller.
My thought process below.
A. If she's in stroller on as we move through crowds i know exactly where she is.
B. If she gets tired she can hop in with her younger sister
C. Difference in price is small between single and double.
D. If my wife and i want to stay in park late for party or whatever we will not be adding to stress of making her move.
E. Have to consider walk to cars or bus and also at resort. Some resorts are large.
F. More storage

I agree. Stroller is king. It's so worth it. My daughter was 7 as well a dancer and a super red belt at the time. She also had a younger sister who was 4 so we got a double stroller. It was great. Storage and home base. My kids could walk if I pushed them. But why push? I don't wanna take nap breaks at hotel. Waste of time. And I don't want melt downs. 5 times I've been with kids all ages never had a meltdown. Always feel bad for parents who yell at cranky kids. My youngest daughter will be 5 this summer trip and definitely getting a stroller. For my happiness as much as hers

My daughter will be 7 in December. She is halfway to her black belt karate and a good soccer player. I consider her to be in great shape and i am still planning to do a double stroller.
My thought process below.
A. If she's in stroller on as we move through crowds i know exactly where she is.
B. If she gets tired she can hop in with her younger sister
C. Difference in price is small between single and double.
D. If my wife and i want to stay in park late for party or whatever we will not be adding to stress of making her move.
E. Have to consider walk to cars or bus and also at resort. Some resorts are large.
F. More storage

A. With a double stroller you will not be moving through crowds - you'll be stuck in them.
B. Or the younger one could walk a bit and older one ride for a bit.
D. Good time to rent one in the park.
E/F. Strollers have to be folded up on the trams - and most strollers don't hold the crap people take with them when they are folded correctly.

Having a stroller for older kids is actually more of a pain.It is hard to get by people without bumping into them or running over their feet .If a child is tried and your staying at a resort just take them back to the hotel and let them nap than go back to the park later no reason at all a kid should being napping in a stroller in the Florida heat .If your kids are older you don't need to carry as much stuff so you should just take only what you need , carry a backpack than you won't need extra storage space for extra items you could leave in your room .If you have little ones strollers are more needed ,but if a child is older ,it's more a pain than a luxury. If you need to buy your child a bottle of water and sit a bench for a period of time until they feel like going again .It's a lot easier than trying to jam your stroller through crowds of people where there are already too many strollers anyway .Plus I find it embarrassing and rude of me as a parent when I accidentally bump into someone and they make a comment about my child being to old to be in stroller .It's just easier not to have one for older kids unless your child has a disability in my personal opinion.

Having a stroller for older kids is actually more of a pain.It is hard to get by people without bumping into them or running over their feet .If a child is tried and your staying at a resort just take them back to the hotel and let them nap than go back to the park later no reason at all a kid should being napping in a stroller in the Florida heat .If your kids are older you don't need to carry as much stuff so you should just take only what you need , carry a backpack than you won't need extra storage space for extra items you could leave in your room .If you have little ones strollers are more needed ,but if a child is older ,it's more a pain than a luxury. If you need to buy your child a bottle of water and sit a bench for a period of time until they feel like going again .It's a lot easier than trying to jam your stroller through crowds of people where there are already too many strollers anyway .Plus I find it embarrassing and rude of me as a parent when I accidentally bump into someone and they make a comment about my child being to old to be in stroller .It's just easier not to have one for older kids unless your child has a disability in my personal opinion.

Not everyone wants to have to stop the whole vacation because one child is tired. A stroller is a viable way to get around having to do that.

Not everyone wants to have to stop the whole vacation because one child is tired. A stroller is a viable way to get around having to do that.
I disagree if one of the children is sleepy one of the adults can give up there own enjoyment and take them back to the hotel and let them nap and catch up the group later .I don't think children should out in 90 degree heat trying to sleep in a stroller it's my responsibility as a parent to give up my own fun and meet the needs of the child .It's called parenting .If your child is to big to fit in a stroller that means they too old to be in it and they don't need it anymore unless they have a disability .No use cluttering up the parks and interfering with other people's right to enjoy them by putting kids who are to old into strollers when they don't really need them .

Disney has no age limit for stroller use. What is too old is up to each family to decide. You may feel the need to take a child back for a break, and that is fine. But it is not mandatory. There are ways to stay in the park and let your child rest a bit. Also, there are ways to keep cool in a stroller. Fans and water bottles are the first things that come to mind. There is no need to try and shame others who do thing differently.

Disney has no age limit for stroller use. What is too old is up to each family to decide. You may feel the need to take a child back for a break, and that is fine. But it is not mandatory. There are ways to stay in the park and let your child rest a bit. Also, there are ways to keep cool in a stroller. Fans and water bottles are the first things that come to mind. There is no need to try and shame others who do thing differently.
I agree! It's amazing how some folks think that their "opinion" is more then just that.
I know when we went and it was hot, the only one of us who was cool was our youngest DD in the stroller, she had a cool pad, shaded and a fan blowing on her. Believe me, the rest of us wish we could have traded places with her. I can say that on our 1st trip with our infant DD, we tried to go back and rest for the first 3 days and it was horrible. The 4th day she fell asleep in the stroller in the park and we have not looked back since. I also agree with a PP when she mentioned that she has not had any melt downs and I can honestly say that neither have we and we have a LOT of trips under our belt using a stroller and then a sit-n-stand. I also agree with you about the stroller not being a hassle, whether pushing it or folding it up and taking it on buses etc. I have more issues with people and their big backpacks. I do not know how many times someone in line has turned and smacked one of us, and this is when they are on the other side of the bar heading the other way. So I guess we should get rid of that clutter too.

Last edited:
Newbie question! What's the real deal with planning to haul around a double Bob jogging stroller? My girls are 4 and 6 and tiny little peanuts but I'm more concerned about the stroller fitting through doors, etc moreso than the pushing my husband and I will have to do. Obviously they don't use a stroller normally, but I've heard even kids their ages still crash after a day at Disney!

My son definitely needed a stroller at Disney at 4 but when we tried doing it at 6 it felt unecessary. It was nice to use the stroller for storage, so after the first day we ditched the stroller and bought backpacks. That way we had storage without having to push a stroller.

Back when my younger one was 3 and our older one 7, the 7 year old got sick and ended up using the stroller. So sometimes a stroller can come in handy for kids over 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!