Stroller for 4 1/2 year old

randyl

Mouseketeer
My DW and I keep going back and forth on this one. Our DS will be 4 1/2 years old on our next WDW trip at the end of this month. We have always brought a stroller with us but this year we are wondering if he will need one. We think he will because of all the walking that we do (like everyone) at WDW. Although he wouldn't be in the stroller all the time, it may be good for when he is tired and needs a break from walking. Any thoughts?

Hi Randyl - YES, BRING THE STROLLER!!! Just think of how tired you feel at the end of the day - and you've got longer legs ;) We're bringing one for our DD4.5 after reading on a previous thread that the average person walks 9 miles a day while at WDW - whew!! :p It also comes in handy for naps - even a cat nap helps the day go smoother. And our DD is always too tired to exit the parks at the end of the day - and a 4.5 year old gets heavy to carry - especially at the end of the day when you're tired too. We also found on our most recent vacation that it really helps to have the stroller at the airport for various reasons - rushing around the terminal, waiting in security lines, or delayed flights, etc. Have a great trip!:earsboy:

I would definitely bring one. Our 4.5 year old daughter doesn't usually use one but even a 2-hour shopping spree the other day had her complaining that her legs were tired. We're bringing a lightweight umbrella stroller for her. When she's not using it we just fold it up and hook it on our arm - or park it in the general vicinity and come back when she needs it. Good luck

I think it really depends upon your style of touring. I just made my first stroller-free trip to the Magic Kingdom with my 4 1/2 dd, and it was a real pleasure not to have to always fold it up and lug it around from ride to ride (she always ended up walking anyway). The walking did tire her out, which helped her sleep at nighttime. However, we usually arrived at the park at opening, and left by 2 or so. I didn't take her to Epcot this time, either. If you follow an ambitious, all-day program, it might be better to have the stroller along. I was surprised at how much easier the park was with an older preschooler; have fun.

we used one with our 4 1/2 year old last year, and I was pleased to have it. She didn't sit in it all the time, but she would have struggled without it. It was also very useful for carrying "stuff"

We used a fairly basic umbrella stroller and she was fine in it, even managed an occassional nap.

Bev

heres what I told my friend to do.....

first spend a whole day at a mall shopipng without the stroller and see how your tot does. Then bring an umbrella stroller or something easy to travel with. then i said if the first day out they rented one, they would have theirs to use the rest of the trip rather than renting.

Can I ask for the brand of stroller you use for your 4 1/2 year old? I'll be taking my 3 year old dd in December and had want a lightweight stroller to take with us, but one that she'll fit in. She's so tall, that she's having a hard time fitting under the canopy's of strollers. Any that you recommend? I know we could get away with an umbrella stroller, but I would love to have one that had storage space..any suggestions?!:confused:

I used a very basic Maclaren for my 4 1/2 year old. She's not very big though. I don't know about in the USA, but in the UK Maclarens come with a basket underneath, not the same massive basket you get in a Graco, but big enough for a small cool bag and some spare clothes.

Bev

I debated about this our last trip (actually obsessed about it) But after reading many posts I decided to bring one. I was so glad I did! We used it everyday in the parks and also it was great to have for airport. I purchased a very cheap ($25) umbrella type because I didn't want to bring my bigger one. My DS (almost 4 at the time) was a little big for it but he seemed to be comfortable and didn't complain. I will say too, its a little easier to keep track of a little one, especially if they don't like to hold your hand.

I guess I will probably break down and just purchase a small umbrella stroller, as I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I'll hardly use. Her other stroller is just too big to be hauling down to Disney. I'll miss having all that storage space that was available when she was in the stroller!!

Carissa:Pinkbounc

The umbrella stroller that I took had a small net storage compartment under the seat. It wasn't very big but I could get a small bag with change of clothes for DS,rain ponchos, sunscreen and a few snacks. I just left that in there and carried a small backpack with valuables and that worked fine. If you do keep a small bag with the stroller make sure it is something you can throw over your shoulder because the stroller won't fold up with it in it, and you will need to fold it up on trams, buses etc.

Why not just rent one? That way you don't have to lug it to and from your resort, or have to get to to Disney.

Pam

I don't want to rent one, because I want to have access to a stroller when we go to Downtown Disney, since it will probably be at night and she'll be tired I'm sure. Still considering options, i have until December to decide!!!

Carissa

Going in Oct with three boys, 4 1/2 -5 years old. Was in Disney in Jan with 4 year old, used the stroller everyday. I take an umbrella stroller for a couple reasons...airport (in a crowd, get through security, in a rush, put stuff in, gate-check it), leaving busy parks at night (in a crowd, he is tired), bringing is cheaper than renting for 7 days, Downtown Disney, and at the park when he is tired, to haul stuff and safety (I know where he is in a crowd). Yes it is inconvienent, Disney is sooo good with helping families with strollers. I just got BIG BOYISH strollers at K-Mart, paid $16.00, they are navy blue with Mickey Mouse on seat. They hold up to 40lbs. Good Luck.

BRING IT!!!!!!!! We just came back 1 week ago. We had our double stroller DS is 4 1/2 and DD is almost 3. Used it all the time. Our rule was you must be in the stroller unless we are walking to a ride. It was a good way to keep track of them. A couple of times I held my DS hand to go places and I was practical dragging him to get places. He was so excited by everything that he was walking too slow for the crowds around us. Then you will end up carrying them. Mine is too big to carry at 46" tall. Though he still fit in the stroller. He also fell a asleep in the stroller a couple of times. Have a great trip.

Originally posted by BevS97
I used a very basic Maclaren for my 4 1/2 year old. She's not very big though. I don't know about in the USA, but in the UK Maclarens come with a basket underneath, not the same massive basket you get in a Graco, but big enough for a small cool bag and some spare clothes.

Bev

I have the Maclaren Daytripper that we took to WDW in May. I bought it at a BRU in the US and it comes with a basket underneath. I love this stroller! It is light as a feather, reclines, folds with one hand, and steers great. My 4 1/2 y/o fits in it perfectly. It also comes with a large vinyl rainguard that lets the child sit in the stroller without getting wet. We are going again in October and DD will be 4.8 y/o and we are taking the stroller. She loves to walk but she has no qualms about popping into the stroller when she feels like. Plus it is wonderful for lugging all that stuff I take around!

We are going in 5 days. I got the coolest stroller for the 20 month old (the Chicco Caddy rocks! Umbrella stroller that has the features of a full size, plus some like a rain fly. I got sport yellow...so cool. See it at Amazon.com). I also have a 4-1/2 year old. We considered a double stroller and decided it would be too cumbersome. We will be taking a rest every afternoon anyway so, I figure if the big guy poops out we can just rent a stroller here or there when required.
Amy

Walmart's cheapest umbrella stroller worked great for us. If our good sized 4 year old son wasn't using it, our petite 6 year old daughter was! We found many advantages to having the stroller with us. It was especially helpful at the airport and getting to and from Disney transportation outside the parks. It was by no means a luxury ride, but we got no complaints from the passengers! There were tons of identical strollers in the parks. Be sure to "personalize" any stroller you take. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter