Stroller - Bring Your Own or Rent?

anuta77

Earning My Ears
Hi,
We are embarking on our first trip to Disney with our two boys, ages 2.9 mo and 6.5 yo. We are staying in New Orleans Resort and are renting a car. The question is, do I need to be a stroller with us or is it better to rent there? We don't have a double stroller but I can borrow it from a friend if needed... We'll be staying for 5 days, visiting parks on 4 out of those 5 days... Any advise? Tnx!

We like having our own stroller to use to get around the resorts and get back to the car after a long day. You may or may not need one for the 6 yr old. (Ours has been practicing long walks so none for us) If you have a rental car, you could always head to WalMart or Target for a cheap stroller if the older child needs one. Or you could rent a sit and stand from some of the local companies if you think your child will need one.

Bring your own:

Pros: Don't have to pay to rent one.
Cons: Have to pack it, ship it, fly with it, etc. Will have to store it at night in your hotel or car.

Rent:
Pros: If you rent in Disney, you don't have to haul it back to your hotel.
Cons: Can be expensive.

Not sure how it works if you rent from one of the Orlando rental places (never done that). If they don't bring it to your hotel, you have to worry about picking it up and dropping it off...

Hi Op. you don't mention what type of double stroller you wish to bring. As the queen of double strollers (I have 6 now, don't ask). Not all will hold a 6.5 year old. Most likely, your older child will not need a stroller. Also, it looks as if you are flying in since you mentioned renting a car. Airlines will take no responsibility for a damaged stroller and it does happen. Not sure if you wish to risk that with someone else's stroller.

Do you have a single stroller for your youngest? I would bring your own if you have one but if not, here is my recommendation. Rent a single citi mini from an offsite company. They are inexpensive, fold easily for the buses, have a full recline and a fantastic sunshade. Then your 6 year old can take an occasional break of needed (depending on how big your 6 year old is). You can also rent a double citi mini if you think you really will need it. I would not rent from WDW at all.

Hi,
We are embarking on our first trip to Disney with our two boys, ages 2.9 mo and 6.5 yo. We are staying in New Orleans Resort and are renting a car. The question is, do I need to be a stroller with us or is it better to rent there? We don't have a double stroller but I can borrow it from a friend if needed... We'll be staying for 5 days, visiting parks on 4 out of those 5 days... Any advise? Tnx!

For those ages, I'd at least bring yours for the infant. It sounds like you are flying and you might find having a stroller a big help at the airport. You can gate check your stroller for no charge.

Do not plan on renting one from Disney. They are the hard plastic type that are not appropriate for infants. If you don't bring one from home, then arrange to rent one from an outside rental company.

I don't know that you will need a double. Your 6.5 year old will probably be fine walking most of the time. If there is a time that he needs one, a rental from Disney would be fine for him.

Bring your own. I'd be suprised if you even needed one for the 6.5 year old. I'd just bring your single. I would check the max weight on it in case you decide to let your 6.5 year old ride in it. My kids don't need by that age, not even my oldest who complained of walking across the street even. We told him at Disney that we would stay as long as everyone was behaving. And he was great and did an awesome job walking - 7 different parks over 8 days! We had a single for our 3 year old and a sling for the 11 month old. The oldest was over the 50lb weight limit on our stroller so there was absolutely no way he could have used the stroller.

I agree with planning on the 6.5 year old walking - but if you find you really need a stroller for the last day, then just rent then. 4 days of walking really shouldn't be that bad.

I'd rent a single. It's so much easier then bringing your own. Become a baby wearer.....that also makes life much easier then using a stroller for the baby, especially with standing in lines and whatnot.

I would rent one but NOT thru Disney. There are several stroller companies that will deliver to the front desk of your hotel and will pick it up at the end of your stay. I think your best bet is to rent a double. That way your 6 can sit down and rest (and have a place to sit to watch the parades.) If you are going during the hot months the double is essential. It will be to heavy to push with two kids but that extra space is great. Disney strollers are expensive and hard and uncomfortable. We liked the City Mini Double stroller, I think from Magic Strollers (or something like that).

SweetMissy said:
I'd rent a single. It's so much easier then bringing your own. Become a baby wearer.....that also makes life much easier then using a stroller for the baby, especially with standing in lines and whatnot.

I was going to suggest wearing baby. Investing in a good carrier will be a life saver. I wouldn't rent though I would bring my own. That way if your 6 yr old gets too tired and its time to leave he can ride and you can wear baby. So many times I wished we had the stroller to push the kids to the van cause the littles were too tired to walk. Renting from an outside source is also a good suggestion. That way you save money but can take it to the vehicle too. Also wearing baby can help with navigating the airport.

Maggie'sMom said:
For those ages, I'd at least bring yours for the infant. It sounds like you are flying and you might find having a stroller a big help at the airport. You can gate check your stroller for no charge.

Do not plan on renting one from Disney. They are the hard plastic type that are not appropriate for infants. If you don't bring one from home, then arrange to rent one from an outside rental company.

I don't know that you will need a double. Your 6.5 year old will probably be fine walking most of the time. If there is a time that he needs one, a rental from Disney would be fine for him.

I recently learned that disney has a special adaptor for the strollers for infants. So if you do decide to rent one you can get a infant seat that attaches to it for the infant.

We are bringing our own so that I can have it at the airport with us. I didn't want to have to rent daily at the parks because it would take a chunk of our time at the beginning and end of each day, and be on the expensive side.

We did our first family trip with a 2 year old and a 6 year old. We brought a sturdy umbrella stroller for the 2 year old and then we rented a single at Epcot for the 6 year old since that was the most walking we did. As far as renting a stroller for the 2.9 month old, I would be concerned that the WDW strollers aren't ideal for a child that small.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter