Staying offsite and getting to Trails End

dizzydrop

Mouseketeer
We're staying offsite but have reservations for breakfast at Trails End and we're looking for the best way to get there? We're not really thinking about doing parks the day if our reservations so we would just be driving there but we've never been to that resort so I'm curious if it's complicated and how much time we should allot to getting there for a 10:15 res? Thanks

I would probably allow whatever amount of time you would allow to travel to the Magic Kingdom. To get to Ft. Wilderness, you head towards the MK and go through the MK toll booths. (You would need to let them know you are heading to Ft. Wilderness and not MK to avoid parking charge.)
Stay as far to the right as possible when approaching tolls without being in bus lane. Once through tolls, follow signs to MK resorts and/or Ft. Wilderness. Once at Ft. Wilderness you would have to park and then take the internal bus to the Settlement Depot.
It sounds more complicated than it is.

We did this a few years ago for Thanksgiving. We parked at the WL and took the boat to FW. Arriving by boat is best because Trails End is close to the boat dock but kind of far from the guest parking- you'd have to take an internal bus (I think).

Are you staying closer to DTD or to MK when you're offsite? If you're closer to DTD, you can enter through the DTD entrance at Buena Vista Drive, make a right at the OKW lighthouse, make a left at Oak Trail (or whatever the millionaire house development is called now) and the entrance to Fort Wilderness is on your right. Very easy.

I'm really not sure. Prob closer to DTD from looking at the map! Thanks so much!!

Where's Robo, he usually maps these things. Must be slacking ;)

I prefer the "back entrance" as mentioned above. Find your way on Bonnet Creek Parkway (you'll drive past Old Key West and Port Orleans). Turn left on to Vista Boulevard. You'll pass through a security checkpoint, but it will not be nearly as busy as the MK Parking Entrance. Let them know where you're going, if they ask, and you'll be on your way. I always like to print out my ressie confirmation, just in case.

As for timing, I would imagine a 930am arrival in the main lot of Ft. Wilderness will be plenty of time. You will need to take a bus *internally* through the campground to get you to Trail's End.

Bonus points to whomever mentioned the boat from Wilderness Lodge, that sounds like a fun and relaxing alternative. Probably worth a look.

Thanks, I'm not sure if DH would rather ride the boat from WL or the internal shuttle but atleast we have options now!!! We appreciate it!!

Thanks, I'm not sure if DH would rather ride the boat from WL or the internal shuttle but atleast we have options now!!! We appreciate it!!

The internal buses can be a pain. I agree that the boat is the best way, as it is really the most direct way to that part of Fort Wilderness.

Thanks for asking this question! I just made reservations of dh and me at Trail's End and then started wondering just how we would get there. {Staying offsite for what is, hopefully, the last time}.

My "part two" question is - can we get there really really early so that we have enough time to walk around. We'll be there at Christmas and want to see all the decorations folks have up. But I don't want to get harassed at the parking gate if we show up at 2pm for a 6pm reservation, kwim?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter