Staying at Grand Californian. Any secrets I should know? ;-)

BluBayou

Earning My Ears
Looking for those "cool insider" things.
Taking our dd for her sweet 16th in May.
Her first trip (10 years ago) we asked if she could drive the ship, and she was thrilled when they let her and her little brother wear captains hats and "steer" the ship.
Are there any secrets like that for someone staying at DGC?
We are in the midwest, so its a "big deal" when we go to DL!
:-)

Not sure of the name, but there is a free guided tour that talks about the architecture and history behind the Grand.

Three of my favorite and very underutilized places to relax are at the Grand.

-Whitewater Snacks out buy the pool is great for breakfast or a quick lunch. Since it is tucked away, it is never very crowed even on the busiest of days. Rarely a line and always a table. It is a counter service but they bring your food to your table kinda place.

-Heartstone Lounge just off the lobby is a great place to grab an adult or non alcoholic drink and some light food.

-Napa Rose has a lounge up front with big 'ol nice chairs. It is drop in first come, first serve and they serve a full menu...but it is a great place to relax and order a drink and order desserts or appetizer plates. We will go grab some seats and do dessert and their cheese plate after a long day in the park...along with a bottle of wine!

There's an unmarked service door off the stairwell, in the far northeasternmost wing, that opens onto Downtown Disney right next to La Brea bakery. If you are staying in that wing, it's a quick way to get out in the morning right near the bag check. It's kept locked, however, so you have to trudge the long way round to get back into the hotel.

Not sure of the name, but there is a free guided tour that talks about the architecture and history behind the Grand.
Art of the Craft Tour
There's an unmarked service door off the stairwell, in the far northeasternmost wing, that opens onto Downtown Disney right next to La Brea bakery.
GC_map.jpg

There's an unmarked service door off the stairwell, in the far northeasternmost wing, that opens onto Downtown Disney right next to La Brea bakery. If you are staying in that wing, it's a quick way to get out in the morning right near the bag check. It's kept locked, however, so you have to trudge the long way round to get back into the hotel.

It is the emergency exit stairway across from rooms X447 and X 449 with X being the floor number 2 thru 5. No alarms will sound if you use it and drops you off close to the Security Bag Check tents. The ground floor door locks so that you can`t re-enter to go back in and up the stairway. There is a Viewing Terrace on the 6th floor at the southwest corner that overlooks DCA and has a nice seldom used bathroom. You can watch World of Color from there but it if kind of far and off center to the show.

When you check in ask for the Weekly Recreation Guide it will tell you what days the exclusive Grand offerings are available during your stay.

1. There is a class most mornings that will show you how they make the washcloth animals they leave on your bed (my Dad won't stop making swans for guests at his house)

2. The morning power walk is fun but make sure you leave your phone in the room as they won't let you bring it into DCA. There is also a free morning pilates class outside.

3. Your kids can visit the DD Build-A-Bear shop an hour before store opening.

4. Ask if you can make an appointment for the Anna&Elsa boutique before store opening also

5. My DD likes to do the Grand Quest scavenger hunt. Again ask for it at the front desk. They also have a Disneyland Trivia Challenge you can take into the park with you. My DD has won a pen or pin when it's completed.

6. There are Disney movies some at nights projected outside by the pool.

7. Ask about the private Main Street Magic Shop event.

Enjoy!!

They have bunk bed rooms you can request, if your kid would like that. They also have rooms with 2 queens and a daybed. Not a guarantee you will get them, but you can request. We love the bunkbed rooms because it not only has a bunk, but also a pull out trundle underneath, so 4 beds in one room. Plus when the trundle is pushed under, you have much more room than in a 2 queen bed room. We have an over-the-door shoe hanger thing we bring and I hang it on the end of the bunk beds (or you could do the closet doors) and store all the suncreen, lanyards, etc so they don't clutter up the table top. And I second the "don't use the GCH entrance at opening time" unless you get there very early or if you don't care if you are a little late getting in. The main gates are generally much faster first thing in the morning. Have fun!!

Hearthstone Lounge has espresso drinks in the morning if you're looking for good coffee before you hit the parks. One of the best tips I learned from folks here on the DIS! :)

Let them know you are celebrating a birthday. Our birthday girls have always gotten signed 8x10s of their favorite characters as a special surprise at check-in. Even though your DD is turning 16, it would be neat to use as a journal cover or memory book page for remembering the special trip.

THANK YOU ALL!!! LOVE these ideas and I plan to try each and every one (no guarantee of the pilates though ;-) )

Not really a secret, but there's a Starbucks right outside of the hotel, in downtown Disney. We ate breakfast, there, each morning before heading into the parks. We always request a Downtown Disney view. You won't be disappointed. It's great! Especially at night. The rooms with the bunkbeds feel bigger because the bunkbeds don't take up as much room as the two Queen beds do. It's nice.

Not really a secret, but there's a Starbucks right outside of the hotel, in downtown Disney. We ate breakfast, there, each morning before heading into the parks. We always request a Downtown Disney view. You won't be disappointed. It's great! Especially at night. The rooms with the bunkbeds feel bigger because the bunkbeds don't take up as much room as the two Queen beds do. It's nice.

We planned on getting the bunk beds, but the reservation gal told us we would not be happy, that they are more for younger kids and too small for teens.
Do you think think they are too small for teens?

We try and do the scavenger hunt each time and get cookies :). They have scavenger hunt pages for Disneyland and Ariel's ride too. They may have more that I don't know about.

We planned on getting the bunk beds, but the reservation gal told us we would not be happy, that they are more for younger kids and too small for teens.
Do you think think they are too small for teens?
We went through a similar process for our first GCH stay. We eventually got hold of someone who made it really clear the bunk beds are indeed sized for children.

Another important tip:
Avoid using the GCH entrance to DCA at park opening (EMH or regular), the main DCA entrance is much more efficient.

This, this, this. You will be tempted, but don't do it. Slow as molasses. The DCA entry/exit is perfect for later in the day, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter