Stay Play Dine 2017 Calculation Thread

SouthFayetteFan

Saving Money on Disney Vacations since 2006
2018 is here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-2018-calculation-thread.3638155/

Prior years can be seen here:
2015: http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-calculation.3339097/
2016: http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-2016-calculation-thread.3451389/

As I have done in the past I will be posting calculations for how the Stay Play Dine deal works.

This year it seems VERY simple but I will continue to validate:
If you want to price your own click here and then click learn more and click on the SPD discount packages: https://disneyrewards.com/offers/wdwq2roomsepfy16/

VALUE RESORTS:
2017 Discount
= 40% OFF DINING
There is no discount on tickets or room

For Comparison sake:
2015 was 55% off dining plus a small room discount
2016 was 40% off dining plus a VERY small room discount ($1.75 off per night we believe)
(FYI There was never a discount on tickets on this promo)

MODERATE RESORTS:
2017 Discount
= 45% OFF DINING

For Comparison sake:
2016 was 55% off dining for the first adult plus 45% off dining for each additional person (adult or child) plus a VERY small room discount ($1.00 off per night we believe)

DELUXE RESORTS:
Appears to be 45% OFF DINING
with no discount on tickets or room
(still working on more details here)
THERE IS AN INSTANCE OF A DELUXE VILLA GETTING MUCH BETTER THAN 45% DISCOUNT - see post further down on page 1

Prior years for Deluxe resorts was the same as moderate except the room discount portion may have been slightly larger than moderate.

If you want to share your specific scenario please list # of nights, resort, # of adults & Children (& ages of children) and list the discounted rate of your package and how much you save over the regular price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EXAMPLE OF YEAR OVER YEAR COMPARISON

Here is an example of the SPD deal in 2016 vs. 2017. Our example family is 2 adults, a child age 7 and a child age 1 (free). They are staying 6 nights in a standard room at CBR at the end of Jan/early Feb with 7 day base tickets and the regular Disney dining plan.

In
2015 under the SPD deal they would have paid (all approximate):
Rom: $1,057
Tickets: $1,014
Dining: $376

TOTAL: $2,447

In
2016 under the SPD deal they would have paid (all approximate):
Room: $1,122
Tickets: $1,049
Dining: $458

TOTAL: $2,629

In
2017 under the SPD deal they will pay (all approximate):
Room: $1,151
Tickets: $1,161
Dining: $524

TOTAL: $2,836

So with the price increases on rooms, tickets & dining, combined with the lesser discount amounts...the example family pays $182 more in 2016 (vs. '15) and $207 more in 2017 (vs. '16). Over 2 years the same discounted package goes up $389 which is approximately an 8% increase annually.

Last edited:
I just updated the first post here with historical info too so you can compare the EROSION of this discount over the past 3 years. These aren't yet conclusive as I'd like to run more scenarios to prove it out.

We are 3 adults and 1 child (3) staying Mar 5-12 at CBR. 6 day park pass, no hoppers. Trying to decide if SPD will be the best option for us, or if we should do a room only deal and add the Canadian tickets offer they currently have (25% off).

This will help me attempt to price it out - thank you.

HERE'S MY SPECIFIC SCENARIO:

CBR for Jan 28 - Feb 4 (7 nights). 2 Adults 2 Children (6 & 3). 8 day tix - no park hopper

Regular Cost: $4,229.30
SPD Discount Cost: $3,652.50
Savings = $576.80

Dining Cost = $1,281.70
Savings Percentage = 45% of dining

IF I wanted to upgrade to deluxe dining it costs $695 and that is not discounted at all

Not only are the % low, the availability is horrible. As you know, I had a standard booked at CBR and could not get either he SPD or the Room Only. My TA tried all sorts of combos and nothing. Finally as a joke I had my TA combo both rooms (all 8 of us) and compare it to a deluxe 2 bedroom villa at Saratoga and for only $800 more we got the villa. The SPD discount worked great here.

We are 3 adults and 1 child (3) staying Mar 5-12 at CBR. 6 day park pass, no hoppers. Trying to decide if SPD will be the best option for us, or if we should do a room only deal and add the Canadian tickets offer they currently have (25% off).

This will help me attempt to price it out - thank you.
So here's how I see your scenario: If you can eat for the week for less than $1,200 I'd go with the Room Only and the 25% off tickets deal. I DO NOT think SPD is the deal for you, I could be wrong but based on what I can see you're better off booking room only.

Prior years can be seen here:
2015: http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-calculation.3339097/
2016: http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-2016-calculation-thread.3451389/

As I have done in the past I will be posting calculations for how the Stay Play Dine deal works.

This year it seems VERY simple but I will continue to validate:
If you want to price your own click here and then click learn more and click on the SPD discount packages: https://disneyrewards.com/offers/wdwq2roomsepfy16/

VALUE RESORTS:
2017 Discount
= 40% OFF DINING

For Comparison sake:
2016 was 40% off dining plus a VERY small room discount ($1.75 off per night we believe)

MODERATE RESORTS:
2017 Discount
= 45% OFF DINING

For Comparison sake:
2016 was 55% off dining for the first adult plus 45% off dining for each additional person (adult or child) plus a VERY small room discount ($1.00 off per night we believe)

DELUXE RESORTS:
Appears to be 45% OFF DINING
with no discount on tickets or room
(still working on more details here)

Prior years for Deluxe resorts was the same as moderate except the room discount portion may have been slightly larger than moderate.

If you want to share your specific scenario please list # of nights, resort, # of adults & Children (& ages of children) and list the discounted rate of your package and how much you save over the regular price.

I called and pretended I was a Disney Visa card holder but didn't have the card with me. I provided my confirmation number and she said my current BWI deluxe club MYW package would be eligible for a 20% discount. No dining involved. Hoping I can call on Monday and get the same discount

I called and pretended I was a Disney Visa card holder but didn't have the card with me. I provided my confirmation number and she said my current BWI deluxe club MYW package would be eligible for a 20% discount. No dining involved. Hoping I can call on Monday and get the same discount
Yeah - this thread really isn't going to deal with the room only discounts. They are pretty easy for people to dissect since it's basically a percentage on the room that applies to all days or weekdays only. Thanks for the info though.

So here's how I see your scenario: If you can eat for the week for less than $1,200 I'd go with the Room Only and the 25% off tickets deal. I DO NOT think SPD is the deal for you, I could be wrong but based on what I can see you're better off booking room only.

Thank you .. I agree, from what I've priced out I will save about $100US by booking each seperately.

Here is my set up to help with calculations. 4 adults and 4 teenagers 17-15 yrs old in a 2 room deluxe villa at Saratoga. 8 nights with 7 day PH tickets, SPD Discount

Disney Prices (not sure on taxes)

Room 7,346.26
Add tickets 11,097.84
Add DDP 15,406.96

Our price 12,684.80 (tax included)

Not a bad deal.

March 28 - April 3
Yacht Club
6 nights, DDP, 6 day tix w/ hopper and water
Standard Rate - $7020
RO Winter Promo - $6080
Savings = $940
The way I calculated it was a 26% discount on the room! Im sure its 25% , but I calculated a million times and still come out with 26% !!!

Here is my set up to help with calculations. 4 adults and 4 teenagers 17-15 yrs old in a 2 room deluxe villa at Saratoga. 8 nights with 7 day PH tickets, SPD Discount

Disney Prices (not sure on taxes)

Room 7,346.26
Add tickets 11,097.84
Add DDP 15,406.96

Our price 12,684.80 (tax included)

Not a bad deal.
Ok - this example blows up the 45% savings on dining. Something SPECIAL is going on here! Maybe it's different at the deluxe villas. I'm not even sure I could isolate it...but it's amazing!

Ok - this example blows up the 45% savings on dining. Something SPECIAL is going on here! Maybe it's different at the deluxe villas. I'm not even sure I could isolate it...but it's amazing!
I keep thinking it is a fluke!!! If no other discount, this would be almost 60% off of DDP.

Under this deal what would be better an AoA suite for 2 parent, 3 Disney adult kids and 1 child OR 2 rooms at value resort? We are looking at 2/22-3/2

Under this deal what would be better an AoA suite for 2 parent, 3 Disney adult kids and 1 child OR 2 rooms at value resort? We are looking at 2/22-3/2
From what I can see - 2 Value rooms will be decidedly better. The price you pay for tickets and dining will be identical regardless of which way you go. The problem is that AoA rooms cost more than twice as much as one value room and because of that the AoA option costs significantly more. I also checked on the Disney site and that seemed to validate my initial gut reaction. You can check it too but I think 2 values is the way to go if price is most important.

Is it safe to assume that the deal will be the same for the general public when it gets released? IF so here's what i'll be doing for one set of our kids:
Jan 24 - 31
2 adults, 5 day ticket & regular dining
Currently booked at Movies $2479.78
move them to POP and it becomes $2313.42 for a savings of $166.36

Movies doesn't look to be included in the discount and they really don't like Music (who knows why??)
but if they did --$2,220.22 for a savings of $259.56

Fingers
crossed that there will still be rooms open on Monday!

Is it safe to assume that the deal will be the same for the general public when it gets released? IF so here's what i'll be doing for one set of our kids:
Jan 24 - 31
2 adults, 5 day ticket & regular dining
Currently booked at Movies $2479.78
move them to POP and it becomes $2313.42 for a savings of $166.36

Movies doesn't look to be included in the discount and they really don't like Music (who knows why??)
but if they did --$2,220.22 for a savings of $259.56

Fingers
crossed that there will still be rooms open on Monday!
Deal should be the same. I've seen a lot of people say they couldn't find availability at POP. I'd have a second choice in mind if I were you. Good luck! Also you can keep checking if what you want isn't available initially. Resorts and room types can change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter