SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

Hello all!

I am at SSR now for my first visit to this resort. I own at BWV and VWL. Checking in here to see if I am missing something. This feels more like a moderate or value resort with nicer rooms. Also, what's up with the unthemed concrete hallways to get to your rooms? Ugh. Reminds me of Pop Century.

I am assigned to a 76xx room I believe in the carousel section. There is no food, pool, or even a beverage station to get my mugs refilled anywhere close! Except for OKW, every other resort has many amenities very close at hand. Here, I would have to drive or take a bus just to get to the boat to get to DTD or any other amenity is there a location I am missing? We just got back from a drive to the carriage house for a walk around to see what I could be missing and think I saw everything there is to see.

For those of you that love it here what am I missing? If I didn't have a rental car I would be miserable.
Hello all!

I am at SSR now for my first visit to this resort. I own at BWV and VWL. Checking in here to see if I am missing something. This feels more like a moderate or value resort with nicer rooms. Also, what's up with the unthemed concrete hallways to get to your rooms? Ugh. Reminds me of Pop Century.

I am assigned to a 76xx room I believe in the carousel section. There is no food, pool, or even a beverage station to get my mugs refilled anywhere close! Except for OKW, every other resort has many amenities very close at hand. Here, I would have to drive or take a bus just to get to the boat to get to DTD or any other amenity is there a location I am missing? We just got back from a drive to the carriage house for a walk around to see what I could be missing and think I saw everything there is to see.

For those of you that love it here what am I missing? If I didn't have a rental car I would be miserable.

Hello. We love the understated elegance, which feels peaceful at the end of a crazy park day. I don't mind the outside hallways, or the lack of Disney in the hall. Does BCV have Disney Hallways? I haven't been in the rooms part, only the public areas. We love the Paddock area, but it is a bit of a walk. Congress Park seems to be the designated smoking area anytime we are over there. Grandstand is nice because you have the pool bar and refill station, but it is a short walk to Artist's Pallette and first bus stop. I don't know if I could stand the scarey clown pool at BWV :rotfl2:

I'm new to staying at SSR. Is it worth the extra points to book a preferred room? We are in a 2 bedroom for 3 nights. Thanks.

For the remaining few weeks of 2016, yes. For 2017 and beyond, no. Your exchange was pulled from either Standard or Preferred. If Standard, you can request Carousel, Paddock, or Grandstand. If Preferred you can request Springs or Congress Park. Call the 800 number on your confirmation to find out which section your exchange is drawn from.

See the comment above---depends on what section your exchange is drawn from.
Thanks.
So, it's different than trading into BWV. If you trade into BWV thru RCI, you are put in the Preferred category rooms(not standard and not BW view).

I don't think we know yet. They might all go to one or the other, or they might get drawn from both. As you say, BWV is just about always Preferred Pool/Garden, but AKL is usually either Standard or Savannah.

The Carousel Section is the only section that does not have a laundry. We stay in studios for 10 - 14 nights so a laundry is a must. So the Carousel is one section I would not want, although some of the Paddock buildings are just across the street from the Carousel.

I don't think we know yet. They might all go to one or the other, or they might get drawn from both. As you say, BWV is just about always Preferred Pool/Garden, but AKL is usually either Standard or Savannah.
My upcoming late-Feb/early-Mar exchange, confirmed on 12/15, is drawn from Standard.

I had to change dates, and resorts, for our February trip and have ended up at the SSR in a 1 bedroom villa. (Thank you military discount for an outstanding rate.) I'm glad that I sought out this thread, I had no idea about the preferred/standard category status, neither the WDW website or the phone CM's say anything about it for a cash customer, as of today.

Last edited:

We are at SSR THVs right now. My family of four has a dd-23 and ds-18 so the three bedrooms are key. We are close to pool and boat dock. Excellent location for "Tree People" as we are called from CMs.

Would stay here again. Our location makes it easy to walk to Grand Stand for busses to parks and boat dock for DTD. I can see if you didnt have ideal location it would be somewhat an inconvenience. I did request this area and so happy we got it.

IMG_6865.JPG

Just a quick review of our 12/10-12/17 stay at Saratoga Springs. We requested and received the Grandstand area, as that is the first bus stop, which is helpful, and it is also close to the Carriage House. We were with our DD31 in a one bedroom, and she slept on the pull out sofa in the living room. I would note for others that the mattress on the pull out sofa is a fairly thin (maybe 2 inch) foam mattress, and she found it very uncomfortable the first night, as she could feel some of the bedframe. She mentioned this at the front desk the next morning to see if there were any alternatives, and they immediately offered her a piece of egg crate foam to put over the mattress (I would guess others have had the same concerns). This improved matters greatly for her. She also requested extra towels and pillows, which were brought in quantities sufficient to accommodate two more people. Cast members were unfailingly pleasant and eager to accommodate. A cast member from bell services drove us and our luggage to our building and brought it into our room. Every cast member we encountered, from front desk to groundskeepers and housekeeping, greeted us with a smile. Bus service was fine, and we never waited what I consider to be an unacceptable amount of time. There are screens at the bus stops to let you know when the next bus is coming for your destination - a nice addition. Being at the first bus stop for the resort is very helpful on days when the parks are going to be very busy. The bus has four more stops in the resort after the Grandstand, and it can be full after three stops. So it's nice to be guaranteed a seat. And you're the first to be dropped off at the end of a tiring day.

I haven't stayed at SSR since the rooms were redone several years ago. How comfortable is the bed in the studios? I have back issues and can't have too hard of a mattress. I have been fine at BWV, BLT, and the Poly but I think these have all newer mattresses than SSR. I know this is highly subjective but any input is much appreciated.

Headed to SSR in March through April, we are staying in preferred in a studio through DVC. Trying to determine congress park or at the springs for our stay. Which would better suit myself and DH for our trip. Any thoughts or suggestions are helpful. TIA.

There is still no mention of the preferred/standard categories on the WDW website for bookings for cash customers. This is making me a little nervous, does this mean they are sticking all cash customers out in the boondocks?

I'm new to staying at SSR. Is it worth the extra points to book a preferred room? We are in a 2 bedroom for 3 nights. Thanks.

It really depends if you really prefer to stay in the Springs or Congress Park. The Springs is across the street from the main pool and the Carriage House, and Congress Park has views of Disney Springs and is an easy 5 minute walk to DS with the new bridge.

If you are the type that likes to get more nights using less points then you would prefer to stay in the standard view rooms.

Hi! I just booked a 2 br villa "cash" for August. My family is 2 adults and 4 kids (oldest will be 17, youngest will be 11 a the time of the trip.) I noticed that some of the 2 br units are "lock offs" and the 2nd bedroom in those has 1 queen and a sofa bed (as opposed to the dedicated 2 br that have 2 queens?)
With a cash booking, is it possible to request a dedicated 2br? I found the different requests for online check in on another site, and it doesn't appear that is an option.
Thanks for any help. :)

HI! We just switched from POP to SSR in a studio with the military discount for 900!

We are hoping for the grandstand area so we are first on the bus

Headed to SSR in March through April, we are staying in preferred in a studio through DVC. Trying to determine congress park or at the springs for our stay. Which would better suit myself and DH for our trip. Any thoughts or suggestions are helpful. TIA.

Hard to say w/out the specifics.

View--> Obviously then CP Convenience to DS--> CP. Close to main Pool & amenities/food --->Springs.
Bus stops for the parks. No real difference here, just CP is 1 stop earlier.
I'm not a huge fan of paying the extra points for Preferred here. I personally would go w/ Paddock 1st or the Grandstand 2nd..

This is my first time at SSR, DH second time. Last time he stayed in the Paddocks. We have interest in going to DS often, but were not sure how long the walk was from the springs at SSR or if not being near the main building was a significant issue.

This is my first time at SSR, DH second time. Last time he stayed in the Paddocks. We have interest in going to DS often, but were not sure how long the walk was from the springs at SSR or if not being near the main building was a significant issue.
With wanting to go to DS, the walk from CP is so quick. It brings you out to the (MARKETPLACE)where the old bus stop used to be.
But with Springs you are close to everything as well as hopping onto the boat and therefore bringing you over to the (LANDING)--> centrally located.

We had one quick night at SSR earlier this month and I liked it a lot, so we're staying for a few days in May (just DH and I). We have a studio reservation on points. We were in the grandstand area last time, and I liked that spot a lot, but may put in a request for the Paddock just to try something different.

I'm wondering if the SSR food court has any special items that we should try out. (like POFQ has beignets and AKL has zebra domes). I just want to find all the hidden great spots at SSR. We are traveling without park tickets, so enjoying Disney Springs and the resorts are at the top of our list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter