Split Stay - Disney Dining Plan

kelownamom

Earning My Ears
We have decided to add the Dining Plan to our dvc reservation which is our second part of our stay we have a single night cash reservation our arrival day then move to our dvc resort for the rest of our vacation. Is our dining plan valid from that morning? Do we need to be checked out of our first resort in order for it to be valid? If its not working yet can I pay out of pocket and be reimbursed once we make it to our second resort? Thank you!!!!

One thing for sure, you can not pay OOP and then have it reimbursed.

I do think you have to be checked out. But that is based just on what I have read here.

We did this in 2014 and we needed to be checked out and in to use our magic bands for DDP and for our room key. It might have changed since then though.

It has not. You need to be checked out of Resort 1, and at least have the online checkin to Resort 2. Even then, you will want to check at a desk to make sure the bands are working with the DDP before trying to charge stuff.

Ok thank you everyone for the tips! Don't want to end up leaving credits behind as we leave early on check out day!

It has not. You need to be checked out of Resort 1, and at least have the online checkin to Resort 2. Even then, you will want to check at a desk to make sure the bands are working with the DDP before trying to charge stuff.
can you check at the desk of the resort you are checking out of?

I don't see why you couldn't, honestly.
Actually this only matters to me because we have one day at Kidani added to the beginning of our trip. I am wondering if I can just forgo using magic bands at all for that one night (we land at 5pm, going to AKL first thing in the morning and checking into BWV the next day for 4 nights with DxDDP). If I don't link my magic bands to that stay and just use the key to get into the room that one night and do online checkin will it keep things clean? I understand if you have no idea lol.

One thing for sure, you can not pay OOP and then have it reimbursed.

I do think you have to be checked out. But that is based just on what I have read here.

Not entirely true. I have read countless threads on this topic, and many folks have said if they had trouble on the transition day, they just paid "cash" with their magic bands, then took the receipt to their resort desk and got it all straightened out with the dining credits. Now, I agree it may be different if you paid actual cash or credit (no MB), and then wanted to be reimbursed, I don't know...

Not entirely true. I have read countless threads on this topic, and many folks have said if they had trouble on the transition day, they just paid "cash" with their magic bands, then took the receipt to their resort desk and got it all straightened out with the dining credits. Now, I agree it may be different if you paid actual cash or credit (no MB), and then wanted to be reimbursed, I don't know...
And I've read many that had a problem. Better to check out your previous resort, then check in to the new resort.

Actually this only matters to me because we have one day at Kidani added to the beginning of our trip. I am wondering if I can just forgo using magic bands at all for that one night (we land at 5pm, going to AKL first thing in the morning and checking into BWV the next day for 4 nights with DxDDP). If I don't link my magic bands to that stay and just use the key to get into the room that one night and do online checkin will it keep things clean? I understand if you have no idea lol.
Was just searching this question and found this thread. I am in almost the exact situation as you were. How did this work out? Did you have to personally check in?

Last edited:
Was just searching this question and found this thread. I am in almost the exact situation as you were. How did this work out? Did you have to personally check in?
You do not have to check in in person at the resort before using the dining plan. You DO have to be fully checked in, which means you need to get the room assignment text, before credits are available for your use, but even if they're not they will fix it so to me it is not worth the extra time to do that. I have never seen anyone mention this before but this is what happened to us:

Day 1 we went to Tusker House breakfast and the dining plan was not showing. We did a room charge (which was available) at TH and the waitress said it happens all the time, just go to the front desk and they will reverse it and charge it to the dining plan... only I am pretty sure that it got charged back to our Kidani room and then in turn charged to my credit card after our checkout was complete, so it took a little research for them to undo at the BW front desk when we got there (I just left the receipts with them rather than wait around and it worked out fine).

Then we had a 2:30 ADR at Yak and Yeti for "linner". When we sat down and the waiter asked if we had any dining plans I said yes we were on the deluxe but I wasn't sure if it was showing yet. He scanned my band and said it wasn't. An old pro at this I said fine let's just room charge and I'd deal with it at the front desk (I had not yet been to the front desk yet, was at AK all day, lol). So we ordered like we were on the plan and I got the room text while we were eating. Then when it came time to pay the bill he scans my mb again and says "oh good news! your plan is showing up in your account!" So we were able to charge that one to the DxDDP no problems.

It was literally zero hassle to get them to reverse the charge at the front desk (for me, it might have been for them). There was never a line and when it was apparent it would take more than a couple of minutes they just took my receipts and said they would take care of it and I could swing back for the receipts back and that's how it worked. I think it was only more hassle for them because it had already been charged to my card and at a different resort (it was not showing up on the BWV folio at all). At no time did they act like they would not be able to fix it, just that they could not fix it quickly right that second.

So all that said I would not take the time out to check in if it is not in your plans. I'd just go with the flow and then let the front desk at your new resort sort it out. I'm pretty sure because of the sequence of events at Y&Y that once you get your room text you are full checked in (whether you have gone to the resort or not, we haven't) and at that point you should be showing your dining credits on your bands. Hope that helps!

ok great to hear, thank you. We are doing Kidani to BWV too, totally going to read your review now! :D

The problems that people with a split stay have had in using the dining plan on their first day have been those with the DDP on the second part of their split stay, not the first. For some reason, Disney computers don't deal well with check-out/check-in on the same day. Guest services at the parks can clear it up for you as well if there's a problem. Been there, done that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter