• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spinoff: What was your prom dress like?

bjscheel

(Avatar art by my daughter)
We almost all wore short dresses in 1993 and 1994. Junior year I found a dress on a clearance rack for $12. It had a black velvet bodice and a couple tiers of iridescent dark purple taffeta for the skirt. It was a bit short but my mom found a strip of matching taffeta at a garage sale for $.10 (still in disbelief over the fact that it matched) and added a third tier to make it knee length. I think it also had purple taffeta at the shoulders.

Senior year Mom took the taffeta off and made a black chiffon knee length many-layered twirly skirt to put with the same bodice. She made chiffon straps and had chiffon strips draping over my shoulders and down the back. She sewed vintage clip-on earrings at the junction of the strap and the bodice for a little glitz.

I still have the bodice and skirt in our play dress-up collection. A couple years ago my DD used the bodice as part of a Frozen Anna Halloween costume and put the skirt part underneath her blue skirt for extra fullness!

Just showed a picture of it to my daughter yesterday as her prom is coming up. It was a light pink gown, off the shoulder, with a satin ribbon tied at the waist. It was an 80s prom so it was pretty plain compared to some of my friends. We had a very formal prom in Manhattan that I still have very fond memories of. I bought the dress in a bridal shop in NY. Was just talking to my mom about this also and neither one of us can remember what store we bought it at. I have no idea of what happened to the gown. I didn't take it when I moved out and my mom doesn't know. My sister found her gown at my moms over christmas and she modeled it for us. lol.

For junior year (93), I wore a long, strapless, pink dress with lacy layers.

For senior year (94), I wore a hot pink tea length satin dress that I had worn as a bridesmaid the month before.

For junior year (93), I wore a long, strapless, pink dress with lacy layers.

For senior year (94), I wore a hot pink tea length satin dress that I had worn as a bridesmaid the month before.

My sister re-used a bridesmaid dress for her senior prom in 1988. It was long, mauve polyester with a lacy part at the top. She borrowed her junior prom dress, and her wedding dress. I guess she never got to shop for anything new!

My mother made mine (1973) because I couldn't find what I wanted. It was a pink satin a-line gown with rhinestone straps.

I didn't go to prom, but since it would have been late 80's I'm guessing like a PP it would have been a Gunne Sax or Jessica McClintock. I'm sure there would be lace involved. :)

Ugh, horrible! I wore a bright, fuschia sequined floor-length sheath to my Senior Prom in 1991. I can't bear to look at my prom pictures--I look like a Vegas lounge singer!

1984 in Atlanta. I bought my dress from the 5-7-9 Shop in the mall, and I loved it! It was very Scarlett O'Hara, antebellum Southern Belle inspired- mint green taffeta off the shoulder bodice, very nipped-in waist, and a big, floor length hoop skirt. I wore matching mint green ribbons in my hair. The actual dress was very plain- no ruffles, beading, gathers, or any other trim.

I bought my prom dress at a Pagan bookstore. It was floor length and made of lightweight flowy material. The skirt was a sort of multicolor blue, almost a tie dye pattern but not really. The upper part was a faux laced corset-style bodice and the sleeves were long and bell-style and made of black lace. I wore blue gemstone earrings and a matching necklace. My shoes were black combat boots, lol.

Mid-80's. It was a green dress I found in my sister's closet. It never occurred to me that I should go out and buy something nice or fancy, til I saw all the other girls at the prom. :rotfl:

Unique_Vintage_Emerald_Green_Swiss_Dot_Garden_State_Mesh_Dress_4.jpg

:goodvibes Very similar to this; swiss-dot over taffeta. Except it was bright red, had a beautiful basque waistline and was floor-length. We had to buy a separate tulle crinoline - they were a very big thing at the time.

Mine was peach and ruffly and rather "Gone With the Wind"-ish...long and full of crinolines.

Cocktail length black A-line that I borrowed from my sister. I loved that dress. Wore it often (as did my sister).

My was a knee-length black dress that had a beaded faux-necklace style halter strap. It was kind of sparkly, but not overly so.

left over bridesmaids dress from a couple months prior.
long burgundy velvet. Straight, long sleeves, think pink ribbon around the waist. I still have it somewhere.

I got my first prom dress for like $20. It was on sale and it is my SOUL dress. I adore it. It was coral (my favorite color!); 2 pieces - full length skirt and a beaded/sparkly halter top. My other dress was gorgeous and also on sale: it was a cream colored floor length gown covered in sparkles.

Clearly, I like shiny things. :cloud9:

I went for the Molly Ringwald in 16 Candles look. My dress and hair were similar to hers when she was in her sister's wedding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter