• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Souvenir Buying... What Are Your Automatic Must-Purchases / Plans?

We don't buy a lot of souvenirs but we do get the year picture frames for every year my wife and I have gone and my niece and nephew get a personalized ornament for Christmas every year.

If I'm there for a race I always try to get a coffee cup or some glass for it.

I've been dying to go to those two Disney outlets but haven't had a chance since I learned about it (most of my trips are only 2 days at Disney).

I don't have any automatic purchases, but my favorite has been the character sketch artwork (I love things you can display at home to remind you of Disney every day!). I also like some of the low key clothing and accessories (like scarves), and Christmas ornaments.

Lately I've found there are less items I find really appealing in the gift shops, and believe me, I come wanting to buy stuff! I've found a lot of the items to feel pretty generic overall.

I usually purchase some lounge pants and a Disney Pandora charm. On my upcoming trip I may splurge on the Vera Bradley Disney bag - the black and white one. Can't decide on whether I should get the crossbody or the tote.

Vera Bradley seems to be on a lot of these lists!

Cool thread.

My must haves, if I can find them, are:

- baseball cap or another hat (preferably with Mickey Ears on them);
- park-specific t-shirt (preferably with a plain/simple design);
- park-specific snow globe (still missing one for Tokyo Disney as they just don't seem to make snow globes);
- some kind of functional or purpose-specific home ware item, whether a photo frame, dinner plates, drinking glasses, throw pillow or something else.

That's about it.

SNOW GLOBES.
Ah, your must haves a a lot like mine. I'm actually crazy about snow globes. But they tend to be pricey (but lovely - worth it) so I have to be careful when I pick my must-haves. I'd really like to put it on my list but I'm sure they are usually over 10 dollars (don't really want to spend more than ten. What I pay for the Tee's and the caps is truthfully more than I ever want to pay, lol. Nevertheless they are my must-haves). I need to hit the internet and check for sure. If anyone knows before I get the answer please feel free to reply. Thanks!

A city close to me had an outlet store it was pretty cool since it was park merch and not just the stuff you can find at the Disney Store. The last time I went I got the Merida animator's doll for half price. Sadly it closed and Toys R Us moved in.....I miss it.

I have to limit myself, I usually get one pin, a plush, I do the coin flatener machine where ever i go so I always do that. Then its just whatever catches my eye. Not a souvenir but I always get a Mickey Ice Cream bar at least once when I'm there no matter what.

cup/mug, fridge magnet, snowglobe, anything attraction specific, postcards. We used to have a Disney Character Premiere store around us that closed not long ago, used to like getting discounted souvenirs there

Magnets and Christmas ornaments are my usual musts; I try to get something resort related as well. (There was a sad dearth of things last year for BLT, I was miffed.)

I also found a pretty necklace at the shop attached to Raglan Road. "Did you see the matching earrings?" the clerk said. "Sold!" I said. ("WHAT," my husband said.)

No dated stuff! Gasp! You are utterly humble. I like to show off my year! God Love ya!
I would do it if I went yearly. Otherwise I get bummed to see how long it is between trips, the date starring at me.
I forgot to add, we usually buy a glass at Liberty Tree, no this year, closed when we go.

I always get a stein from Germany. This thread reminds me to take a picture of them all so I won't accidentally buy a duplicate when we go back next month!

Probably an ornament as well, and we'll see what Star Wars stuff they have. The boy is old enough now that he'll probably want EVERYTHING.... Now that we are staying (slightly) off-site without delivery we have to be a little more selective with stuff since we'll have to carry it with us the whole day. Plus we have been going during Food and Wine a lot lately, that usually sucks up all the surplus cash, leaving little left for souviners.
You can still have your purchases sent to the front of the park for pickup before you leave or rent a locker at the gates to store things.

I usually just buy a shirt or two, antenna toppers, and ornaments. However it grows the more I go.. So my MUST haves are:

-Ornaments (The shoes mostly, and a year dated one)
-Dooney And Bourke bag, and matching wallet
-T-shirts (Park specific, and the odd character shirt, or ride theme)
-coffee mugs
-Pins
-Alex & Ani bracelet... or two
-Any cool little souvenir from the outlet mall

I see several people posting about towels...I have never thought to even look at them. Are they nice or thin like most places that sell beach towels?

I would do it if I went yearly. Otherwise I get bummed to see how long it is between trips, the date starring at me.
I forgot to add, we usually buy a glass at Liberty Tree, no this year, closed when we go.

Ha! My last visit was 2000. Not going to let it get away from me like that again.

A city close to me had an outlet store it was pretty cool since it was park merch and not just the stuff you can find at the Disney Store. The last time I went I got the Merida animator's doll for half price. Sadly it closed and Toys R Us moved in.....I miss it.

I have to limit myself, I usually get one pin, a plush, I do the coin flatener machine where ever i go so I always do that. Then its just whatever catches my eye. Not a souvenir but I always get a Mickey Ice Cream bar at least once when I'm there no matter what.

Hey, I lucked into saving quite a bit for this upcoming Trip in October and so I'm splurging a bit with my spending. This is mostly because I haven't been in 15 years and so I'm like a big kid. But I will have no problem in the future getting a Dated Tee, Dated Cap and a Resort Tee, Resort and Park keychain and Magnet and calling it a day. At the end of the day I am just happy to be here! I always say the pictures are your best souvenirs - even if you have to limit those too! I don't want to ever skip more than one year before visiting WDW again, so I am willing to save and pay for my trip and spend for little on souvenirs. I definitely hear you!

Foods? For me it's the Turkey Leg. I can't leave WDW without having one!

I usually just buy a shirt or two, antenna toppers, and ornaments. However it grows the more I go.. So my MUST haves are:

-Ornaments (The shoes mostly, and a year dated one)
-Dooney And Bourke bag, and matching wallet
-T-shirts (Park specific, and the odd character shirt, or ride theme)
-coffee mugs
-Pins
-Alex & Ani bracelet... or two
-Any cool little souvenir from the outlet mall

While the popularity of Christmas Ornaments are indeed predictable to me... I'm a tad surprised by the Vera Bags and the Dooney Bags. Way more popular than I would have thought. I think they would fall under a splurge category for me and I already have a couple of things there... so that's done for me. Like that "Matching Wallet" note. lol. Go get em!

Hey Overexcited... keep another thing in mind... there are a lot of people who simply can't afford to do a trip like Disney at all.... ever. If I went only every three, four five years.... I'd still be proud to look at them delight in my memories. I no longer have my Disney 25 Tee's nor my 2000 Tee's but I wish I did. I'd still wear them with pride. Ultimately, I can tell you what to think if that's truly who you are... only a suggestion. I would get that dated shirt. That will be YOUR Disney year. And the next date will be YOUR Disney year as well if it's four years later. I mean there are people who go two and three and more times a year and for me... that would ruin the magic. That would be overkill. Just because there are people who go EVERY year or multiple times a year - shouldn't make you feel down because you don't. Some people just want or NEED to do other things with their time and / or money.

We don't buy a lot of souvenirs but we do get the year picture frames for every year my wife and I have gone and my niece and nephew get a personalized ornament for Christmas every year.

If I'm there for a race I always try to get a coffee cup or some glass for it.

Love the frames. This will be my first year getting one, but I think I'm going to make them a must each year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter