Sore throat relief

UKDEB

Moderator Emeritus
OK, after saying a few weeks back that I never take cold preparations because the pharmacist at Boots where I had a Saturday job always said they don't work, I find myself sucking madly on Strepsils! Trouble is, they numb your tongue, but not your throat!

Does anyone have any remedies? My throat hurts so much, it feels as though I have been swallowing glass shards! :(

H Deb

Sorry to hear about your sore throat try gurgling warm salt water.
I hope you are better soon.

Deb, you really have my sympathy. I had that last week. I have never had such a painful throat in my life. It hurts just to swallow, doesn't it, never mind trying to get food or fluids down. A couple of people recommended a throat spray to me. I think there are different brands but basically you squirt the stuff right into the back of your throat and it numbs it. I tried it but I was a bit of a wuss about it and didn't squirt it far enough back. I got a very numb tongue though :rolleyes:
If it's any consolation, it only lasted for three or four days and then it went away very quickly.
I hope you feel better soon.

Try a few tubs of ben and jerrys ice cream.

I suffer with sore throats and find the best lozenges to be the ones that are soft and green can't remember the name but they leave your tongue alone and numb the throat.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hi Deb,

I too have got an absolutely terrible sore throat and conjunctivitis. I've been battling with in since Sunday night and finally rang the docs today for a house visit (I'm waiting for my car, so I've no transport + 3 children in tow). Do you know what they wouldn't come out, said they'd only write a prescription (how am I meant to pick it up?)!!! I have NEVER called a doctor out and would never do it unless I couldn't get there myself but I felt bloody awful this morning so felt I had no choice. I really is like swallowing razor blades and I've got awful headaches too. I need lots of TLC and I'm fed up because I'm not getting it!!!

Lisa

Lisa, you poor thing. I can understand them not going out for people who are calling them out every 5 minutes, but you'd think they'd look at your history. I think you can insist, though.

I'm feeling a bit better this morning - my throat doesn't hurt quite so much. I think it's moving onto the cold stage. How about you?

When I had tonsillitis a couple of months ago the Doctor told me the best thing for a sore throat is to dissolve a couple of soluble aspirin in a glass of warm water and gargle with it.

It really did work too.

Hi Deb & Lisa

Have you tried gargling with a couple of drops of tea tree oil(the proper Australian one Boots sell it) in a small amount of water. Its antibacterial and anti fungal and really works.

Its also brilliant for cuts, head lice-YUK, and loads of other things.

Hope you're both better soon.

Anne

Sue - my friend recommend gargling with soluable aspirin and it was the only thing I tried that worked, and quickly too!

Anne - thanks for the tip about tea tree oil, I'll get some in.

Hi Deb,

How are you feeling this morning???? Hope your ok? I got to the docs on Saturday morning and was prescribed antibiotics and eye drops. I still feel rough though and I now have earache!!! This is so unusual for me normally I shake a cold off in a few days but I've had this one since last Sunday!! Hopefully it'll be gone soon.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter