Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

Well... let's just say that I had about 2 weeks of visiting the bathroom about an hour after I ate. And I mean even just a piece of toast. I lost about 20 pounds and was just too physically exhausted for a while there to want to do more than sleep.

They thought I had a gall bladder issue and did some tests and an ultra sound. Never found anything but things started improving Monday and right now I feel great. Starting to get my energy back and feeling good. Still don't know what the cause was but I have a follow up next Friday with my Dr.

That's kinda scary. From my point of view the 20 lbs of weight loss sounds good as I have 50 to go, but I'm not sure that's the way I would like to do it. I hope you're feeling better now.

So sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well! As franandaj said, that is scary. Glad you are feeling better and I hope your doctor has some answers for you!

Do I spy with my little eye a new ticker??? Is the family tagging along for your conference in Orlando?

:goodvibes:

Sounds like you had some kind of stomach bug or something. Glad to hear you're feeling better, though!

Well that sounds delightful. Really.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!
Delightful... yeah, we'll go with that. :rolleyes1

Thanks

That's kinda scary. From my point of view the 20 lbs of weight loss sounds good as I have 50 to go, but I'm not sure that's the way I would like to do it. I hope you're feeling better now.
It was... Actually losing the weight didn't hurt anything. I could really stand to drop 25 pounds or so. But now that I have an appetite again... :rolleyes1

So sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well! As franandaj said, that is scary. Glad you are feeling better and I hope your doctor has some answers for you!

Do I spy with my little eye a new ticker??? Is the family tagging along for your conference in Orlando?

:goodvibes:
Thanks, I don't know about answers... I think it is likely just some kind of bug that I picked up, although they seemed to think it was something more significant than that.

Yes, I have a new ticker! DW and DD will be going, but DS will stay home so he doesn't miss a week of school.

Sounds like you had some kind of stomach bug or something. Glad to hear you're feeling better, though!
Thanks. I think that is probably all it was, although based on lack of any other symptom at all and the severity of it, they seemed to think it was something worse.

Ugh! No fun. Glad you are feeling better.

Jill in CO
Thanks!

Well... let's just say that I had about 2 weeks of visiting the bathroom about an hour after I ate. And I mean even just a piece of toast. I lost about 20 pounds and was just too physically exhausted for a while there to want to do more than sleep.

They thought I had a gall bladder issue and did some tests and an ultra sound. Never found anything but things started improving Monday and right now I feel great. Starting to get my energy back and feeling good. Still don't know what the cause was but I have a follow up next Friday with my Dr.

Woah that's some serious weight loss!:scared: Hopefully they figure out what it is. Perhaps it was a bacteria in your digestive system??

Yes, I have a new ticker! DW and DD will be going, but DS will stay home so he doesn't miss a week of school.

Ooh, new ticker, very exciting! And of course, being back at AoA will be awesome.
If I'm doing my math right, it looks like you'll be getting in right after I leave. So I guess after the Star Wars Half Marathon you decided you didn't want to experience another race weekend? :)

Woah that's some serious weight loss!:scared: Hopefully they figure out what it is. Perhaps it was a bacteria in your digestive system??
Could be. I've been taking probiotics. Don't know if that helped or not but it certainly didn't seem to hurt. Not sure I'll ever know for sure what it was but I've been fine for the past week and I have a follow up appointment Friday. I'm just glad that it no longer seems to be a concern that it was anything serious.

Ooh, new ticker, very exciting! And of course, being back at AoA will be awesome.
If I'm doing my math right, it looks like you'll be getting in right after I leave. So I guess after the Star Wars Half Marathon you decided you didn't want to experience another race weekend? :)
Your math is correct. I'm actually going to be in Orlando during marathon weekend. I'm just going to be out on I Drive for a conference and then hitting up WDW for a few days afterwards. So good theory but it is really just a product of when I'll be in town and have some free time.

I'm a little afraid of what "worse" it was supposed to be. Doesn't sound like it was much fun at all! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

We might cross paths across the country somewhere, I'll be headed to Disneyland that weekend!!! My birthday is ALWAYS Marathon weekend, so I'm excited to spend it on the West Coast where nothing is going on :thumbsup2 And we'll leave before Star Wars, so all roads should be open :rotfl:

Hi, Andy! I'm trying to jump back into the DIS after a hiatus - I seem to do that after every trip. I have a mountain of TRs to catch up on, but I also hope to get started on the epic trip report this weekend. I'll send out a message once I get it started.

I'm sorry you went through a bout of not feeling well! As someone who unexpectedly had to have her gall bladder removed a year ago, I can certainly relate. I hope it's fleeting and that you're all better now. :goodvibes

I'm glad your journey out of DL wasn't too painful (other than all the extra walking)! It's nice to see a good story about a TSA experience, as I feel those are few and far between.

I really appreciated your thoughts on comparing WDW and DL. I know the conclusions may be a bit different for everyone, but it's interesting to hear your perspective. I believe I recently read that they're replacing the Aladdin show with Frozen - it sounds from your glowing review that that's a bit of a shame. I've never made it out to DL yet, but I look forward to seeing it someday. I do think I'll plan to stay at one of the Good Neighbor hotels, but I'm sure I'll have a meal or two at the Disney resorts.

Hooray for a short trip in January! :woohoo: Even short trips to WDW are great, and I look forward to hearing all about it!

I'm a little afraid of what "worse" it was supposed to be. Doesn't sound like it was much fun at all! Glad to hear you're feeling better.
Well, the way they were talking, "worse" sounded like I might be getting cut open. But thankfully, that was not the case. I was pretty miserable, but 2 weeks of misery isn't as bad as it could have been.

We might cross paths across the country somewhere, I'll be headed to Disneyland that weekend!!! My birthday is ALWAYS Marathon weekend, so I'm excited to spend it on the West Coast where nothing is going on :thumbsup2 And we'll leave before Star Wars, so all roads should be open :rotfl:
Cool! That should be a lot of fun! I hope you have a great time!

Hi, Andy! I'm trying to jump back into the DIS after a hiatus - I seem to do that after every trip. I have a mountain of TRs to catch up on, but I also hope to get started on the epic trip report this weekend. I'll send out a message once I get it started.
Welcome back! This place just doesn't wait on you when you're away, does it?

I'm sorry you went through a bout of not feeling well! As someone who unexpectedly had to have her gall bladder removed a year ago, I can certainly relate. I hope it's fleeting and that you're all better now. :goodvibes
Seems to be the case. I think it must have just been a stomach bug that threw them for a loop since it took so long to run its course and I had no other symptoms at all.

I'm glad your journey out of DL wasn't too painful (other than all the extra walking)! It's nice to see a good story about a TSA experience, as I feel those are few and far between.
It wasn't too bad leaving. I expected worse.

I really appreciated your thoughts on comparing WDW and DL. I know the conclusions may be a bit different for everyone, but it's interesting to hear your perspective. I believe I recently read that they're replacing the Aladdin show with Frozen - it sounds from your glowing review that that's a bit of a shame. I've never made it out to DL yet, but I look forward to seeing it someday. I do think I'll plan to stay at one of the Good Neighbor hotels, but I'm sure I'll have a meal or two at the Disney resorts.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I haven't heard that one yet! I know they've got the Frozen Sing Along in the theater where they used to show the Muppets. They can't be taking away another good show. Can they??????

Hooray for a short trip in January! :woohoo: Even short trips to WDW are great, and I look forward to hearing all about it!
It will be nice to get back there. Especially since I wasn't really planning on it.

Hey Andy! I'm popping over here!I am just also noticing that you have a new ticker!!! And it's fairly close - and I love the resort choice!!!:lovestruc

Hey Andy! I'm popping over here!I am just also noticing that you have a new ticker!!! And it's fairly close - and I love the resort choice!!!:lovestruc
Er... um... yeah... about that. I probably need to change my ticker. I can't decide whether to do a PTR or not, so I'll just lay it out here.

I have to attend a conference in Orlando in January. DW and DD are flying down to meet me during the conference and then we're going to Disney World for 3 days.

And we've actually changed our resort after free dining came out. I love AoA and I'm kind of disappointed to not go back... but we'll be staying in a PoR Royal Room for DD with free dining at pretty much the same cost that it would be to stay at AoA rack rate and pay for our own food.

Er... um... yeah... about that. I probably need to change my ticker. I can't decide whether to do a PTR or not, so I'll just lay it out here.

I have to attend a conference in Orlando in January. DW and DD are flying down to meet me during the conference and then we're going to Disney World for 3 days.

And we've actually changed our resort after free dining came out. I love AoA and I'm kind of disappointed to not go back... but we'll be staying in a PoR Royal Room for DD with free dining at pretty much the same cost that it would be to stay at AoA rack rate and pay for our own food.

That's os exciting that you were able to plan a small trip along with your conference. Ah I see what you're saying! Well I've seen pictures of the POR Royal Rooms and they look so pretty! Yeah if you can get the room along with FD, then that seems like a good choice! Even if you don't do a PTR, are you still planning on doing a TR?

After reading this ... I'm going to need to see a TR with lots of pictures of that room.
As much as I love AoA, I think this is a good choice. I have a feeling that your DD will LOVE the Royal Room.

How's the farm doing? You haven't posted a farm update in a while, and I feel like it's past harvest time.

Mini PTR

This trip kind of came together in a weird sort of way. Planning didn't happen the way one would ordinarily plan a Disney Trip. An idea was sparked and the trip kind of came together in a piece by piece process as we discovered new information needed to iron out our plans. And since that is the case, I'm going to be super lazy and just add a PTR to the end of this very TR.

Here's how it happened... I have a conference to attend in Orlando. The conference actually starts the Saturday of Marathon weekend and is going to be at the convention center near Universal Studios. I knew I was going, and I thought I might try to sneak some solo time at resorts or maybe even a park during some down time.

But, DW proposed the idea of doing a short trip after the conference. DS is in kindergarten, and while I know he wouldn't be really far behind if we pulled him out of school, we've decided we're not doing that, so DW and DD will be joining me for a trip that will be extremely heavy on princess influences.

The Game Plan:

I'll leave work on Thursday 1/7 and start driving. Since I'll be by myself for the drive down, I'm going to stop somewhere to sleep rather than try to drive it straight through. I'd like to get south of Atlanta before I stop but it would have me on the road likely until after 1 am.

On Friday, I plan to finish my drive to the Orlando area. I can't check into my hotel for the conference yet so I'm going to stay somewhere else. I'm considering a cheap I-Drive area hotel or possibly a value resort at WDW.

Because... well, I have an ADR for 1 on Friday. And I'm not telling where. I'll save that for the TR. But there is also a special event going on at WDW that is HUGE. Something I don't want to miss! DDCC4

I'm sure you all know what that is, right?

No?

Ok, I'll explain. DDCC4 is Dis Dads Club Convention 4. What happened is a few years ago a challenge was laid down from one Disdad to another. There was a lot of name calling among other things, but they ended up challenging each other to a race. And not just any race. A Half Marathon. At Walt Disney World.

When other members of the Dis Dads Club saw all this trash talking, they decided they wanted to get involved. Some wanted to call out another Dis Dad and challenge them to train and run in the race. Others just wanted to go to WDW, drink beer and either cheer or hurl insults at the dads who were running the race. Needless to say, this has started somewhat of a tradition and the Dis Dads tend to show up around WDW property in force for Marathon Weekend.

I'm super excited to finally have a chance to hopefully get a couple of Dis meets in with some of the Disdads! They are planning a beer crawl on Friday night, and I'm hoping to make it there for that. Last year they did a monorail crawl, but I believe the plan is to hit up the Boardwalk this time around. This is also kind of why I'm thinking of staying onsite at a Value Friday night. The room cost really is about the same as some of the other hotels I've ben looking at anyway. Then again, it is hard to get a bus from the Boardwalk to another resort... I'll have to check park hours and decide for sure what I want to do.

On Saturday, I'll wake up and drive to Universal Studios. Yep, I'm going off property. I'll admit it. I love Universal. I like big rollercoasters and they've got a few that I really enjoy. But we always have a hard time getting ourselves to take time away from Disney to go there during a Disney trip. And DW... well, she can't handle rollercoasters like she used to. We spent a day in Dollywood this summer.

Well, I spent a day there. She spent about an hour there. And then had to go back to our cabin after 2 consecutive rides on coasters did her in.

So since DW doesn't do the thrill rides so well and since the kids can't do, well, anything at Universal I'm going to go by myself on Saturday morning. My plan is to see the new Harry Potter area in US and ride Gringotts. Full disclosure... I'm not a big HP fan. I've got nothing against it. I know Universal has done an awesome job with the theming there. But I don't know the story behind everything, so it doesn't all mean a whole lot to me. I'll enjoy checking out all the theming and the details they put into everything, but aside from riding the new Gringotts ride, I can't see myself spending a lot of time there. After I ride, I'll take the train to IOA. I'll likely skip Forbidden Journey since I've done it before and I'm kind of OK skipping it. :duck:

My priorities in IOA will be Dueling Dragons, Jurassic Park and Spiderman. I believe my favorite ride there, Hulk, will be closed for an extensive refurb so that will be about all I'll do in IOA. I'll then head back to US by train to ride Mummy, Rip Ride Rockit, Transformers, MIB and the Simpsons. I hope to move fast and get through pretty much everything by around lunch time. I'll even consider getting the Express Pass if needed to get through everything quickly. My plan is to have lunch in Springfield USA and then leave the park.

Yeah... short day and ambitious plans. But the last time we were at US, we left by 3 pm and it was with 2 kids and a larger group and a fairly long lunch. So I think I can pull it off.

My plan is to check into my conference hotel by early afternoon and make a brief appearance at the trade show so that I can take care of getting myself registered and do all that fun stuff. But I need to be quick, because I have another ADR.

Yes, ADR.

As in, back on Disney property.

At the DDCC, it has become a tradition to have a huge Saturday evening dinner somewhere. 2 years ago they visited WCC and last year they ate at Ohana. Well, this year they've decided to go back to Ohana. Once I had my travel plans ironed out and knew I'd be in the area Saturday night, I reached out to one of the dads planning the event. I managed to snag one of the last spots left in the ADRs, so I'll be enjoying dinner at Ohana at 5pm with a group of about 40 or 50 Disdads and their families. I'm really looking forward to this evening!!!

Aside from dinner, I hope to make a visit to Trader Sam's as well.

On Sunday I'll wake up and head to the airport. DD and DW fly in on a flight that will arrive at 8:30. We'll return to the hotel and I'll head to the convention center as I will miss part of the opening session picking them up. DW will attend some of the conference sessions as well, so we'll be busy all day Sunday and Monday with the conference.

The conference ends on Monday, but I'm on a committee that will meet all day Tuesday. DW and DD will have a day to themselves, so we've kicked around the idea of them going to Sea World while I'm in meetings. It seems like it would be something that DD might enjoy and would actually be able to do a few things there. We'll stay in our room at the conference hotel Tuesday night, since they're paying my hotel bill for Sat - Tues nights.

On Wednesday morning, we'll wake up bright an early. I'm planning to do online check-in so that we can skip POR and drive straight to MK for rope drop. We'll spend a day in the park where we have a lunch ADR at BoG. We'll likely take a break at some point to settle into our room. But we do plan to dedicate this whole day to MK.

On Thursday, we plan to go to EPCOT. With Soarin closed it changes our plans, but we won't have FP+. We'll ride what we can before a late breakfast at Akershus... another first for me! I know DD will love seeing the princesses, so it should be a fun meal. After this, we got park hoppers so we're going to walk on around WS and leave through the International Gateway. We'll head to DHS where we'll FP+ TSMM and a couple of other shows/attractions. I'm not sure what yet, but we do want to ride TSMM and I'm going to probably be sick if I can't manage to find a way to ride RnRC while I'm there. EPCOT closes later than DHS, so we will probably return to EPCOT that evening to wander WS and see Illuminations. Or we may just skip WS this time around and finish our day at DHS.

Friday will be our last park day and we're planning a second full day at MK. We'll get some more princess time during our dinner ADR at CRT.

On Saturday we'll get up early and drive home.

It will be an absolute whirlwind trip and we're going to focus on doing our park must do's first and foremost. There is an evening EMH at MK that I'm hoping I can sneak some solo time and take advantage of, but we are mostly going to focus on doing things that DD can do and wants to do. We'd like to take a couple of afternoon breaks to enjoy the resort, but it isn't going to be a priority.

As for our resort choice... well, we booked AoA. And we were happy with that choice. I mean, we really love that resort. But we'll definitely have more chances to stay in value resorts in the future and this is a very princess-centric trip. So what is more appropriate than AoA? How about a Royal room at POR? When the 2016 discount and free dining packages came out, it was within just a few dollars difference to stay at AoA paying rack rate and paying for our meals or staying at POR in a Royal room with free dining. So we decided we'll stay somewhere we've never stayed before and we'll be in a room that DS would never want to stay in. And since he won't be there, it will be ok.

Turns out my quick PTR turned into a long post, but these are our plans. I'll try to update once we do FP+ and I'll definitely plan to do a TR once we return!

Last edited:
And since that is the case, I'm going to be super lazy and just add a PTR to the end of this very TR.

Ah, the lazy man's PTR. Always the best way to handle it. Welcome to the Dark Side!:darth:

DW and DD will be joining me for a trip that will be extremely heavy on princess influences.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Because... well, I have an ADR for 1 on Friday. And I'm not telling where. I'll save that for the TR.

I never figured you for a Victoria & Albert's kind of guy.:confused3

DDCC4

I'm sure you all know what that is, right?

::yes::

Others just wanted to go to WDW, drink beer and either cheer or hurl insults at the dads who were running the race.

There is where you would find me.:thumbsup2:drinking1

She spent about an hour there. And then had to go back to our cabin after 2 consecutive rides on coasters did her in.

Ugh. That sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Full disclosure... I'm not a big HP fan. I've got nothing against it. I know Universal has done an awesome job with the theming there. But I don't know the story behind everything, so it doesn't all mean a whole lot to me.

I was there, but watching the movies with my HP-maniac daughter helped. She's still way more excited about it than I am, but I think I'd be able to appreciate it now. I'm sure if I were kid when HP came out it would have been like Star Wars was to me.

I managed to snag one of the last spots left in the ADRs, so I'll be enjoying dinner at Ohana at 5pm with a group of about 40 or 50 Disdads and their families. I'm really looking forward to this evening!!!

Excellent! Should be a great time. Tell everyone I said hi! I thought about going once I saw that we had the budget for a weekend trip, but a getaway alone with my wife and being able to see the Christmas stuff for the first time won out.

The conference ends on Monday, but I'm on a committee that will meet all day Tuesday.

This committee is either full of overachievers or needs to be disbanded.

So what is more appropriate than AoA? How about a Royal room at POR? When the 2016 discount and free dining packages came out, it was within just a few dollars difference to stay at AoA paying rack rate and paying for our meals or staying at POR in a Royal room with free dining. So we decided we'll stay somewhere we've never stayed before and we'll be in a room that DS would never want to stay in. And since he won't be there, it will be ok.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Sounds like a fun trip minus the whole convention part. ;)

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter