Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

Hooray for another trip! :yay:

I'm super excited to finally have a chance to hopefully get a couple of Dis meets in with some of the Disdads!

Now that I've finally experience them, DISmeets are the BEST! How exciting that you'll be able to enjoy time with other DIS dads!

My plan is to see the new Harry Potter area in US and ride Gringotts.

YES. GRINGOTTS IS FREAKING AWESOME. :woohoo:

I know you're not a crazy Potter fan (there can only be so many of us, after all ;) ), but I do have a few suggestions. If the lines are decent, Gringotts is actually worth riding twice as it's a PHENOMENAL ride even without the insider knowledge. I know the stores may not be as exciting for you as they were for me, but I would highly recommend taking a stroll down Knockturn Alley. It's truly bizarre to go from the warm sunshine to the cool darkness, and Borgin and Burkes is a super creepy (and rather awesome) store. Finally, I really loved the interesting ice cream flavors in Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream and you should definitely check it out!

I'll likely skip Forbidden Journey since I've done it before and I'm kind of OK skipping it.

What?! Skipping the second best ride at the Universal parks? :eek: I understand that you've done it before and all, but seriously? :sad2:

My plan is to have lunch in Springfield USA

Now this I can stand behind! :thumbsup2 Bring on the Krusty burger!

I managed to snag one of the last spots left in the ADRs, so I'll be enjoying dinner at Ohana at 5pm with a group of about 40 or 50 Disdads and their families. I'm really looking forward to this evening!!!

Awesome! They must have this so well planned to have so may spots at Ohana! Think of all the steak and shrimp they must go through with all those DIS dads! :rotfl:

Aside from dinner, I hope to make a visit to Trader Sam's as well

YES. I was sad that I couldn't find a good spot to sneak this in last trip (spoiler alert!), but hopefully some of the craziness will have calmed down by my next trip!

It will be an absolute whirlwind trip and we're going to focus on doing our park must do's first and foremost.

I love all your plans for your family portion of the trip! Your daughter will be so excited about all the fun with the princesses! And I have no doubt that you'll make it onto at least one ride on Rock N Roller Coaster! :goodvibes

When the 2016 discount and free dining packages came out, it was within just a few dollars difference to stay at AoA paying rack rate and paying for our meals or staying at POR in a Royal room with free dining.

Um, yes please!!! A princess-themed trip in a royal room sounds PERFECT! ::yes::

I'll definitely plan to do a TR once we return!

I certainly hope so!

And I'm glad you eventually found your inner mouse 100% :rotfl::wizard:
I came back... :lmao:

It's always good to try something new, I look forward to hearing your reviews on the place. It seems Ohana has very mixed reviews here on the DIS....:scratchin
Yeah... I'm sure I'll enjoy it. And I won't leave hungry. I'm not a big fan of the cuisine served there to begin with though, which is part of the reason I've never been there. But they serve meat and I will be in good company, so I'm sure that I'll enjoy it!

They really are - but if princesses are a must - I think they are very worth it! It also saves a lot of time from meeting the princesses in the parks.
Absolutely! I love character meals for the simple fact that I don't have to stand in lines to meet them!

Love that show. Its almost so good - you may want to skip RnRc for it! :rotfl2:;)
It is a great show. I like it. But nothing is better than RnRC.

I read your and and have been meaning to comment in detail, but I just keep running out of time, so I might as well just jump in and comment. That's great that you can turn a sponsored event into something fun for you and your family yet again. It sounds like you have a good balance of solo, family, and time with the guys, in addition to your committee related duties.
It will definitely be a very full trip. But every element of this trip has something that I'm really excited about and looking forward to.

I know you said that you don't like Chinese food and O'hana has some Asian influences. I happen to love O'hana but then I haven't met many Asian cuisines that I don't like. However the Bananas Foster Bread Pudding they serve for dessert is one of the most out of this world yummy desserts that I have ever had!
Yeah, the cuisine is one of the main reasons we've never been there. I've always kind of wanted to at least try it, but I've never felt the urge to pull the trigger when I know I would have to cut some place that I've been and enjoy to try it. And my family, as a whole, kind of feels the same way about it, so I can't see us booking it on a family trip. I'm looking forward to trying it out though. I've had that kind of food before and I know I won't go hungry. It's just that Asian influenced cuisine isn't something that I tend to go out of my way for. I am looking forward to the desserts and some of the specialties of Ohana.

Now that I've finally experience them, DISmeets are the BEST! How exciting that you'll be able to enjoy time with other DIS dads!
I think it will be a lot of fun!

YES. GRINGOTTS IS FREAKING AWESOME. :woohoo:

I know you're not a crazy Potter fan (there can only be so many of us, after all ;) ), but I do have a few suggestions. If the lines are decent, Gringotts is actually worth riding twice as it's a PHENOMENAL ride even without the insider knowledge. I know the stores may not be as exciting for you as they were for me, but I would highly recommend taking a stroll down Knockturn Alley. It's truly bizarre to go from the warm sunshine to the cool darkness, and Borgin and Burkes is a super creepy (and rather awesome) store. Finally, I really loved the interesting ice cream flavors in Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream and you should definitely check it out!
I'll definitely take some time to walk around and check out the details. I'm not necessarily sure I'll go into every store, but I'm always in the mood for some ice cream! I'll see how things go... if I can get on Gringotts again without a long wait, I might try to, but I'll definitely be on kind of a tight schedule.

I don't know about the movies, but I am going to download at least the first Potter Book and read it before my trip. Just because I heard from somebody that the books are better than the movies anyway. :rolleyes1

What?! Skipping the second best ride at the Universal parks? :eek: I understand that you've done it before and all, but seriously? :sad2:
Well... yeah.

I'm the one person who wasn't blown away by it. To me, it was a dark ride that just moves around more than most. I was honestly more impressed by the queue area than the ride itself. That was the coolest thing about finally seeing the first HP movie and recognizing so many things from that queue.

But I'll share the biggest reason why I'm not terribly excited about the ride. The flying broom scenes.

I can do roller coasters all day long. Go fast, turn, flip me upside down and I'm good. But if you stick me in front of a screen and shake me around... it can be hit or miss. The original Star Tours, I could ride once and then I'd feel like crap. The updated version I can handle much better and have even done multiple rides. Mission Space, I can handle, but I've really got to be in the right frame of mind and stomach, and then it takes me a bit to recover which is why it isn't a must-do for me every trip. Spiderman puts me at about the limit of what I can handle comfortably, and I've ridden it several times with no significant ill effects.

I don't know what it was about Forbidden Journey, but those broom scenes messed with me. I remember sitting there when we'd be put into another one of those scenes and cursing under my breath and wanting the ride to be over. I really didn't even see the last half of the ride because everything was upside down and moving.

So that's why I really don't care if I get a chance to ride it again.

Ever.

I'm just hoping Transformers is closer to Spiderman than Forbidden Journey on my :sick: scale.

Now this I can stand behind! :thumbsup2 Bring on the Krusty burger!
I'm really looking forward to exploring Springfield and trying some of the special food and drinks.

Awesome! They must have this so well planned to have so may spots at Ohana! Think of all the steak and shrimp they must go through with all those DIS dads! :rotfl:
::yes:: In past years, there have been pictures posted on Facebook of piles of shrimp carcasses. Apparently it is a contest to see who can eat the most. I like my odds... :rolleyes1

YES. I was sad that I couldn't find a good spot to sneak this in last trip (spoiler alert!), but hopefully some of the craziness will have calmed down by my next trip!
Sorry you missed out, but I've heard about the crazy lines to get in! I hope it isn't that bad when I'm there, but I guess I can always go to the outside bar and at least try one of the drinks.

I love all your plans for your family portion of the trip! Your daughter will be so excited about all the fun with the princesses! And I have no doubt that you'll make it onto at least one ride on Rock N Roller Coaster! :goodvibes
I feel like I can make it happen. I've just got to find something for DW and DD to do while I'm in line. :rotfl2:

Um, yes please!!! A princess-themed trip in a royal room sounds PERFECT! ::yes::
I thought it made sense for a lot of reasons. Our next trip as a family will likely be in a Value resort and I can see us making use of AoA suites as the kids get older. We'll have plenty of opportunities to stay there again and I've always kind of wanted to stay at POR, so this gives us a chance to check it out!

And of course, I know DD will love staying in a royal room, DS probably wouldn't and since he's not going... Well, now's the time.

I don't know about the movies, but I am going to download at least the first Potter Book and read it before my trip. Just because I heard from somebody that the books are better than the movies anyway. :rolleyes1

The books definitely are better than the movies (minus book 5, which sucks).
But what you'll see in the parks is modeled after the movies. It may not be the same thing you're picturing in your mind when you read the book. So if you're just reading the books and not seeing the movies, understand that it likely won't be exactly what you pictured.

But yeah, the books are definitely better. Read them all.

The books definitely are better than the movies (minus book 5, which sucks).
But what you'll see in the parks is modeled after the movies. It may not be the same thing you're picturing in your mind when you read the book. So if you're just reading the books and not seeing the movies, understand that it likely won't be exactly what you pictured.

But yeah, the books are definitely better. Read them all.
So they're not going to make it look the way my imagination sees it? :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

I get your point though. I just don't have time for the movies. That's what I love about the Kindle App on my phone. I can download a book and read a few minutes of it here and there when I have a few minutes.

Ok... so if I would watch 1 movie before I go, which one will be the best to prepare for Diagon Alley?

ETA - I looked back. You mentioned 7 & 8.

Darn, that's 2 movies!

Ok... so if I would watch 1 movie before I go, which one will be the best to prepare for Diagon Alley?

ETA - I looked back. You mentioned 7 & 8.

Darn, that's 2 movies!

I haven't been to Diagon Alley yet, so this is all just a guess.
"Escape from Gringotts" takes place towards the beginning of the 8th movie (Deathly Hallows Part 2). Like the first 30 minutes. So if you're going to do the ride, you may want to see that. However ... you really don't see much of Diagon
If you're just going to be walking around Diagon Alley, your best bet is actually probably the 6th movie (Half-Blood Prince), which is the most recent depiction of Diagon Alley. It's also all towards the beginning. They tend to visit Diagon Alley at the beginning of the school year for books and stuff ... so it's at the beginning of several of the movies.

It's hard to say just one, but if you're focusing more on the scenery, I'd say ignore what I said before and go with #6. But if you plan to go on the ride, you may also want to try to catch the beginning of #8
I really need to think before I recommend movies.
(And yes, this time I did pop in the DVDs and double check everything before my making recommendation)

I haven't been to Diagon Alley yet, so this is all just a guess.
"Escape from Gringotts" takes place towards the beginning of the 8th movie (Deathly Hallows Part 2). Like the first 30 minutes. So if you're going to do the ride, you may want to see that. However ... you really don't see much of Diagon
If you're just going to be walking around Diagon Alley, your best bet is actually probably the 6th movie (Half-Blood Prince), which is the most recent depiction of Diagon Alley. It's also all towards the beginning. They tend to visit Diagon Alley at the beginning of the school year for books and stuff ... so it's at the beginning of several of the movies.

It's hard to say just one, but if you're focusing more on the scenery, I'd say ignore what I said before and go with #6. But if you plan to go on the ride, you may also want to try to catch the beginning of #8
I really need to think before I recommend movies.
(And yes, this time I did pop in the DVDs and double check everything before my making recommendation)
:thumbsup2 I applaud the extra effort to verify!

And since that is the case, I'm going to be super lazy and just add a PTR to the end of this very TR.
Hey, that's a step up from just randomly mentioning your upcoming trip(s) in your current TR(s), like I do. :rotfl:

I'm super excited to finally have a chance to hopefully get a couple of Dis meets in with some of the Disdads!
That sounds like a blast!

I managed to snag one of the last spots left in the ADRs, so I'll be enjoying dinner at Ohana at 5pm with a group of about 40 or 50 Disdads and their families. I'm really looking forward to this evening!!!
WOW - they really get a lot of people to their meets! :faint:

Hope your DD has an amazing princess immersion trip! princess:

How awesome that you have another trip coming up! And I'm sure DD will love it being all about princesses!

YAY for Universal! We took 2.5 days there this past trip, and I loved every minute of it. It had just been too long since we'd had enough time to dedicate to those parks. And now DS is finally big enough and mostly brave enough to ride a lot of the attractions so it was even more fun getting to do a lot of things with him for the first time.

Hey, that's a step up from just randomly mentioning your upcoming trip(s) in your current TR(s), like I do. :rotfl:
That works well enough. You seem to have a few more trips in the works. I wouldn't want to try to keep up with multiple PTRs.

That sounds like a blast!
I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.

WOW - they really get a lot of people to their meets! :faint:
::yes::
Hope your DD has an amazing princess immersion trip! princess:
I think she'll enjoy it. And I'm pretty sure I'll have some fun too.

Save the Beach Club for a future trip with the family.

:goodvibes:
That's the plan... I do want to stay there sometime soon though.

Your mileage may vary. I hope it does! :cold:
No kidding!

How awesome that you have another trip coming up! And I'm sure DD will love it being all about princesses!
I think she'll really enjoy it. And we'll have plenty of time to focus on some of the things that DS wouldn't have the patience for.

YAY for Universal! We took 2.5 days there this past trip, and I loved every minute of it. It had just been too long since we'd had enough time to dedicate to those parks. And now DS is finally big enough and mostly brave enough to ride a lot of the attractions so it was even more fun getting to do a lot of things with him for the first time.
I think it would be a lot of fun once the kids get tall enough to do more there. I'd like to spend some more time there... but then again, I'm planning about a half day in the park and trying to work in more time to get over to Disney World resorts and restaurants. :rotfl:

I don't usually reply to replies, but with my recent Universal experience I thought this may help!

Yes, yes they are! :D

I think the books get better as they go along (more adult and less child-like), but the first two books are still very well written and have a great story. If you get all up to speed then you'll be prepared and excited to share them with your kids in a few years! I'm excited that you're giving them a try! :goodvibes

But I'll share the biggest reason why I'm not terribly excited about the ride. The flying broom scenes.

Oh, this makes MUCH more sense. I will give you a pass since it is motion-sickness related. :-)

(As a side note, I then think you'll like Gringotts a LOT better. There are still projections, but it's a lot more like a roller coaster (kind-of Mummy-like?) with a few random spins and drops thrown in. I hope you really enjoy it!)

I'm just hoping Transformers is closer to Spiderman than Forbidden Journey on my :sick: scale.

I think you'll be in good shape - Transformers is almost identical to Spiderman (just insert Transformers in for Spidey). :thumbsup2

Finally, I think you'll have such a fun day at Universal! I think you'll really love Springfield and may enjoy Potter more than you think! ::yes::

I don't usually reply to replies, but with my recent Universal experience I thought this may help!
And I appreciate it!

Yes, yes they are! :D

I think the books get better as they go along (more adult and less child-like), but the first two books are still very well written and have a great story. If you get all up to speed then you'll be prepared and excited to share them with your kids in a few years! I'm excited that you're giving them a try! :goodvibes
I was hoping to have started by now. Still haven't started reading them, but it is next in the queue after I finish what I'm currently reading.

Oh, this makes MUCH more sense. I will give you a pass since it is motion-sickness related. :-)

(As a side note, I then think you'll like Gringotts a LOT better. There are still projections, but it's a lot more like a roller coaster (kind-of Mummy-like?) with a few random spins and drops thrown in. I hope you really enjoy it!)
I hope it doesn't bother me. I don't worry about the drops and spins so much as the projections. And they can sometimes surprise me... like I really didn't expect the Forbidden Journey to bother me at all considering it was brand new video and it was only in short spurts.

I think you'll be in good shape - Transformers is almost identical to Spiderman (just insert Transformers in for Spidey). :thumbsup2

Finally, I think you'll have such a fun day at Universal! I think you'll really love Springfield and may enjoy Potter more than you think! ::yes::
I haven't worried much about this one. Then again, I never really seem to know how much they'll bother me until I try them. Certain rides have always seemed to have been worse than others. I just hope I like this one because I've really been looking forward to it!

I was thinking of going to San Fran for a little bit around Christmas. It'd be odd if I ended up at DLR...Or not.
Well, that isn't exactly just across town, but hey, why not?

Just popping in with a non-update update. Today is an exciting day, because I get to stay up until midnight to make FP+!!!

And I still don't know what we want all of our FP+ choices to be. The only ones that are really urgent and definite are A&E on one of our MK days and TSMM at around 2pm on Thursday. Wish me luck!

Just popping in with a non-update update. Today is an exciting day, because I get to stay up until midnight to make FP+!!!

And I still don't know what we want all of our FP+ choices to be. The only ones that are really urgent and definite are A&E on one of our MK days and TSMM at around 2pm on Thursday. Wish me luck!

MK FP? Easy! Peoplemover and Swiss Family Treehouse!
Trust me! You won't regret it!!!!

Good luck!
I think you should be able to get Anna & Elsa, but in case you can't ... It's a Small World usually has FP+ available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter