• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Some suggestions for SSR

paslea_pooh

DIS Veteran
WE stayed at the Paddock room 6627. When I made my reservation back in April I requested a room near the main pool. (The Springs). That building looked mostly empty and my building was what appeared to be full. Whenever the bus would stop at the Springs bus stop no one ever got on or off!! It was quite a walk from the Paddock to the Carriage House or main pool, with little kids in tow it was hard. The High Springs bar (not sure if that is what it's called) only opens from 11am-6pm. The pool is supposedly open until 10pm, so why does the bar close at 6pm. When on vacation I would like to lounge by the pool and have a drink or two. One day the bar didn't open at all, no explanation, no sign. PLUS the Turf Club was closed for a reserved party. The turf club stops serving hot meals at 10pm, their menu is VERY limited. The SSR needs a full service restaurant ASAP.

The vending machine that sells soda/water.... Soda is 2.50 a bottle (20oz)... You put in 3 singles and it gives you 5 dimes back... When you go to put in another 2 singles plus the 5 dimes IT doesn't accept the dimes!!! It gives change but won't accept change!!! I came home with about 17.00 worth of Change, lol.

Our bus stop was Congress Park, there is no straight walkway or path from our building across the street to Congress park bus stop, if you want to walk on a path you have to go to the back of the building. It takes too long and with all the walking you are doing at Disney, we cut across the lawn like so many other people did.

All in all we had a good time. I know that I want to try some of the other resorts and probably won't go back to ssr for a while.

Anyone else have better suggestions for this resort.

Sorry you were disappointed in SSR. We loved it when we stayed there last year and are going back in February.

I know that there are plans to turn part of the Turf Club into a restaurant. I think the menu is going to be extended soon. I agree that this is needed. It is great to have all the eating places at DTD so close by but after a busy day in the parks it is sometimes too much to drag kids over there. Plus you often have to wait ages for a table.

Hope you find a resort you love!
Mandy ::MinnieMo

next time at the front desk - ask about the Spring - especially if you are there early.

sometimes they will give you the best available room - not understanding that you would be willing to wait to get a Springs room.

So when you are at the front desk mention that you would really like a Springs villa.

I happened to stay in the Congress area and I loved it. Great view of DD>

but I definitely understand the long walk to the main pool/food court area.

I was lucky. DD was just about as far away as the food court. So I ate some meals in DD.

when I was there the last stop before leaving was the Springs - so you could get on the bus to go to the food court. Walking was generally faster - but riding the bus could be quicker at times. to get back you just take the bus (temporary yea right) stop in front of the main pool.

We just got back from SSR also - I was totally unimpressed with bus service and Artists Palette - I have 2 young kids and after 1 day we just started taking our car everywhere and never ate at Artist Palette again.

I also was told when I checked in that rooms are pre-assigned and that I would just have to wait for the room that had been assigned to me - a hard thing to do when you arrive at noon with a 1 year old needing lunch, a diaper change and a nap.

We're going back next June but are staying at WLV instead - we also visited OKW while we were there - we probably won't be back to SSR for a while - pretty but all the kinks haven't been worked out yet . . .

JMHO.

BkrsLoveDis! said:
I also was told when I checked in that rooms are pre-assigned and that I would just have to wait for the room that had been assigned to me - a hard thing to do when you arrive at noon with a 1 year old needing lunch, a diaper change and a nap.

JMHO.

I don't mean to pick, but, check in at all DVC resorts is 4PM. Some are lucky enough to get into their rooms earlier, others are not.

We have stayed in the Springs (just last week) and Congress Park (earlier this year) and liked both locations. Bus service was never a problem for us and we generally got onto the buses with an average 10 minute wait, if that long. The Paddocks does look to be a hike from the Carriage House, and I am sure that if/when we are sent there that we will need to plan appropriately. I am hoping that as the resort gets closer to completion that a decision to include sit down/full service dining will be added. DD does have a lot to offer, though, in terms of dining options, just a quick walk or bus ride away!

SSR is our home resort and we love it! Sorry that you were not happy with your stay there. I guess I don't understand how folks that purchased SSR points were not aware of the size, amentities, etc. prior to purchase. I'm not trying to be nasty, just trying to understand.

BkrsLoveDis! said:

JMHO.

I am so confused. I wish that DVC would stick with one plan. I was there in May and got my choice of several rooms....

you have go to wonder. do they change it on a monthly basis.... :rolleyes:

BkrsLoveDis! said:
We just got back from SSR also - I was totally unimpressed with bus service and Artists Palette - I have 2 young kids and after 1 day we just started taking our car everywhere and never ate at Artist Palette again.

We're going back next June but are staying at WLV instead - we also visited OKW while we were there - we probably won't be back to SSR for a while - pretty but all the kinks haven't been worked out yet . . .

JMHO.

We love Artists Palette. Good food - especially the nightly specials. And arriving at noon is always risky. Rooms are supposed to be ready at 4 p.m. and anything before that is never guarranteed. We've gotten in WDW rooms as early as 7:30 and as late as 5:00 p.m. You just never know.

spiceycat said:
I am so confused. I wish that DVC would stick with one plan. I was there in May and got my choice of several rooms....

you have go to wonder. do they change it on a monthly basis.... :rolleyes:

I totally agree. We arrived at BCV in February at 5pm and had to wait for a preasssigned room. At SSR in August we had our choice of many available rooms at 10:30am. :confused3

I don't think I really care what the policy is, I'd just like to know what it is. :teeth:

lts862 said:
I don't mean to pick, but, check in at all DVC resorts is 4PM. Some are lucky enough to get into their rooms earlier, others are not.

We have stayed in the Springs (just last week) and Congress Park (earlier this year) and liked both locations. Bus service was never a problem for us and we generally got onto the buses with an average 10 minute wait, if that long. The Paddocks does look to be a hike from the Carriage House, and I am sure that if/when we are sent there that we will need to plan appropriately. I am hoping that as the resort gets closer to completion that a decision to include sit down/full service dining will be added. DD does have a lot to offer, though, in terms of dining options, just a quick walk or bus ride away!

SSR is our home resort and we love it! Sorry that you were not happy with your stay there. I guess I don't understand how folks that purchased SSR points were not aware of the size, amentities, etc. prior to purchase. I'm not trying to be nasty, just trying to understand.

I guess we were just unlucky - I know check in is at 4 pm but it still would have been a pleasant surprise after a 2 day drive to have been able to have the choice to wait for the room assigned or take one already ready. Not complaining as much as just stating what happened.

I guess we went at a busier time than you because we waited on the short side at least 15 to 20 minutes for a bus and on the long side, sometimes as long as 45 minutes - I don't know if crowds had anything to do with it but it was frustrating none-the-less.

Re: Artist Palette - I did know the limitations going in but thought the place was poorly run while we were there - it just seemed to take too long and compared to the other similar type establishments at other resorts, this one just didn't run smoothly - my food was cold. I guess I just expected that if this was the only place feeding such a large "crowd", they would have taken extra "pains" to make sure everything ran smoothly.

I, quite frankly, did not purchase SSR for the location or amenities but for the 12 extra years - I know that I can't possibly be the only one. I thought our room was beautiful and the whole resort was lovely but the whole food and transportation issue really stressed us out with two young kids and so we're opting for something different next time.

For others without young children, perhaps looking for something quiet and very upscale, this might be the perfect spot for them.

BkrsLoveDis! said:
Re: Artist Palette - I did know the limitations going in but thought the place was poorly run while we were there - it just seemed to take too long and compared to the other similar type establishments at other resorts, this one just didn't run smoothly - my food was cold. I guess I just expected that if this was the only place feeding such a large "crowd", they would have taken extra "pains" to make sure everything ran smoothly.

I have to agree with you there. It is a little haphazard, the way things are run at Artist Palette. Our food was only warm when we received it. I think that they planned aesthetics more than practicality. I can not compare it to other DVC resorts but in comparison to GF, Poly and POFQ's quick serve restaurants, it is small and can be confusing especially with a small crowd needing service (frankly a small crowd is all you can fit in there ;) ).

Thankfully, our little ones are not too picky when time to eat so they made out okay at AP, but generally we ate breakfast in the room and were out in the parks or DD for other meals.

Thank you for not being offended by my earlier question. :wave2: I read so many complaints by SSR owners about the size of the resort, Artists Palette, etc. on the board, :confused3 and just had to ask.

DH and I were at WDW last week. We stayed at BCV although we own at SSR. We purchased SSR BEFORE it was ever built and before we knew about there being a phase III.

We took a trip over to SSR to check it out. I was a bit floored by the size of the place. We were just going to walk over to the main check-in building from DTD. WOW! What a hike! This has us a bit concerned for upcoming trips (we have two DDs under the age of three). I'll definitely be requesting the Springs for awhile.

Anyway, about suggestions for SSR--when I stayed at the previous villas on the now SSR location back in 1984, they had golf carts to rent. I asked one of the CMs while we were there if SSR planned on offering golf carts up for rent (or something comprable) to help cut back on all of the walking from one place to the other. She said that although they don't have any now, it might be something for them to consider at a later date. I'm sure that was mostly lip service, but I plan on bringing it up to other folks (with some actual authority) in the future. Many of us don't plan on driving to Disney or renting a car while there, so this might be a good option for us.

The Paddocks are a hike to the main area. We did it a few times, but in the humidity, it was not fun. I like SSR, but believe a car would be a huge asset, especially since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how rooms are allocated. We checked in somewhat later than we usually do (after 6:00 pm) last month and although the CR was great, there were no rooms available at the Springs or Congress Park. He gave us a water view (a pond in front of the building), which was fine. I was a little surprised it was so busy at that time. The Paddock is a nice area, but after walking "miles" all day at the parks, more walking is not a very attractive option.

So much seems to depend when you arrive at the resort. I know that we usually arrive in the morning and on several occasions at OKW we have been offered our choice of rooms. That does not always happen, of course - and I think we've tended to take for granted it will. I know on the occasions we've arrived later than normal, there are fewer choices. It never hurts to ask directly if a particular building has any vacancies; you might get lucky.

We stayed at SSR in June and loved it everything about it, the resort, our room, the Artist's Palatte, the bus service, the quiet and big pools.

SSR is scheduled to recieve a full service restaurant in 2006. (We heard this at the Chicago DVC Membership meeting in Nov.)

Regarding renting golf carts I forone would not be in favor of that as I'm sure that would just increase our assesment fees.

I think everyone has to give SSR a chance, it is still a work in progress.

evaready51

Barrington, IL

For the size alone, it should have had a FULL service restaurant to begin with... none of this "it will come later"... They knew fully well what the size of this resort was going to be. The Artist Palette although lovely doesnt' begin to address the needs of the resort and we were there in one of the slowest seasons. It easily got busy and it's so small, there is really no place to line up if the place DOES get busy. I know when we visited SSR and decided to buy was b/c Disney was offering an incentive (#1) and b/c it offered an additional 12 years (#2), like someone else mentioned. I didn't want to go thru the resale market and wanted to get the incentive thru Disney. I wanted to buy for the long term, so my kids could enjoy it and hopefully my grandkids could enjoy it too. I know for a fact that I will not visit SSR for a while... I will visit some of the other resorts first before going back to SSR... at least until my two youngest are teenagers, lol... that'll be in about 5-7 years!!!

Hopefully planning an ADULTS only trip for Food and Wine Festival 2006!!!

We own at SSR and just got back last week. We stayed at OKW this time. At EPCOT, OKW and SSR share a bus stop.

We are not normally complainers, but the bus system would be my biggest complaint. We close out 90% of our evenings at EPCOT.

Something has to be done with the bus stop there. Maybe have the waiting line work somewhat like the Great Movie Ride, where you have two lines and they end up in a different loading line.

As we walked up to the bus stop at 10PM, the OKW bus was just leaving. We got in line with everyone else waiting. We knew that everyone in front of us was waiting for SSR or they would have gotten on the OKW bus that had pulled away as we approached it.

Nope. About five minutes later, another OKW bus pulled up. Even though we should have been close to the front of the line, people that were just milling around, not sure of where to stand, got on the bus. By the time we worked our way through all of the SSR people in front of us, my sister and I got a seat. My husband had to stand.

So not only was the que for the line messed up, but two OKW busses came and went with no SSR bus in sight.

As SSR grows, we were thinking they would almost have to have more than one bus line that serves the parks for SSR. Or the buses would always be full.
Again, we are not complainers, it was just an observation we made while there last week.

We love the location. We enjoyed the walk to Downtown Disney. I think we took the water transporation back. Both times we stayed there we were in Congress Park.

we took the bus several times from ALL the parks and only shared the bus to OKW from Epcot. I have to say that going to and from the parks we were SOOOOO glad that we didn't share the bus with another resort.... When we went in 1998 we stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarters and made many stops..... Next time I stay at SSR I will probably request Congress Park... I did request the Springs this time but didn't get it , the walk to DTD is fairly easy... DH and I walked it one night after Pleasure island.. If we stay at SSR next time we may or may not bring the kids... this will probably be after my two youngest (out of 4) are grown...

Not to discourage ANYONE from going to SSR, we did buy DVC after seeing this place.... I just think it's rather "young" as far as a DVC goes and needs some time to iron things out..

Already , hopefully, planning an adults only trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter