• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo Christmas Adventure Day 1

LadyGuene

Earning My Ears
I took my handheld computer with me and kept a journal as I went for my own benefit. I'll just transfer the days here, so please don't mind the "Dear Diary" style.

A 42-year young single female and her first completely solo vacation. Although there have been many trips to WDW this was the first at Christmas.

Day 1
This trip couldn't have gotten off to a better start. I left home at 7:30 and was in Epcot by 10:30. There was no traffic on the highways and the trip took under 2 hours. I could not find a parking space at the Dolphin and the lot was so full, with cars parked all over the place, that I was honestly afraid I was going to hit someone and I refused to waste my time driving in circles. So, I gave in and valet parked. They said I could move it tonight, but I think I’ll just let it sit there until I leave. The only place I was going to drive was Downtown Disney and I can live with one day of lousy transportation!
The Dolphin is undescribable. The Christmas tree is quite literally the tallest I have ever seen in person. And it is decorated beautifully. I left my luggage and headed to Epcot. Went up front to the Fountainview Bakery for breakfast. The chocolate croissant was okay, but I'll go other places that I like better from now on. I got a table outside on the patio, and just as I sat down it was 11:00 and the fountain started. What a way to start the day! Then I headed straight back to American Adventure to pick up my Candlelight Processional ticket. It came with a cute lanyard and a really neat pin. I spent a couple of hours shopping with my 15% discount. Of course none of my Christmas presents panned out, so I spent money on myself. I decided to try the Millennium Pavilion for lunch, because nothing else caught my eye. What a great choice! I ate at the Pacific Rim, and had shrimp and pineapple salad on coconut orange bread. It was so good! I hope I get the chance to eat it again. Then I headed back to the Dolphin to see if my room was ready. It was and I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It is glorious, my cheap little room turned out to have a king bed with two balconies, a view of the boardwalk and the yacht club and probably a view of the fireworks at Epcot. We'll see tonight. I plan on leaving Epcot after the CP just to get back here and see if I can enjoy the view. Today was a long day and tomorrow is early entry to MGM, so an early night will be good.
Evening - I left the hotel and walked over to Epcot. It was quite a walk considering how much my feet already hurt. Under other circumstances it wouldn't have been bad! I got there early for my dinner reservations so I just pulled up a bench and sat looking across the lagoon at the tree and Spaceship Earth. The sun was just going down, the sky was changing colors and the lights were beginning to come on. I started talking to the people near me - see, I said I would talk to people. People have been very friendly. Standing in a line together for 45 minutes will do that to you! I went to the Biergarten for dinner and was seated with three other couples who were also going to the Candlelight Processional. They were very friendly and all were from Florida. Most people I have talked to have surprisingly been from Florida. And everyone asks what county you are from and if your county is recounting ballots! The topic was everywhere people were gathered! The food was wonderful, the company was pleasant, the restaurant was decorated for Christmas and they played and sang German Christmas carols and told the story of "Silent Night". Then I went out and wandered for a while. The line was building for CP so I stood in line for 45 minutes. Again, talking to people was fun. The Candlelight Processional was amazing. A wonderfully spiritual and uplifting experience. Hundreds of voices singing glorious music, and Ben Vereen was a wonderful narrator. I can't describe what a wonderful experience this was. What a marvelous day!

This sounds like a great trip. Your room at the Swan sounds beautiful. You really lucked out. :)

I've been hearing wonderful things about the CP, especially Ben Vereen. He must have been very good. :)

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. :)

Lisa

<p align=center> <font color=#FF0000 font size=4> Happy Holidays</font>
gift41.gif

<A HREF="http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/lisatx/index.html" TARGET=_blank> <font color=blue font face="Times New Roman" >Visit my DISney website -
trip reports and scrapbook pages!</A>

Thanks for the great report. I am a 41 y/o female who has considered a WDW trip alone! I always go with my children (8 and 11) and would love the opportunity to do what I want when I want! I look forward to the rest of your report.

I hope to get to see the CP. If not this year, then I'll have a good excuse to go again next year! Thanks for adding to my excitement!

image1.gif
<FONT COLOR=Red> Co-Chat Mistress</font>
<FONT COLOR=Red>Instructional Chat Co-Host
</FONT>
<font color=Blue> Co-Moderator Trip Reports Board</font> <font color=green>http://www.wdwinfo.com/merchandise/index.shtml</font>

Thanks for posting your report, it's nice to read things from a solo perspective! :)

xtree10.gif
lightfae.gif

<font face="Lucida Calligraphy"><font color=red>Offsite 7/94, Offsite 9/95, Shades Of Green 4/98, Dixie Landings 11/98, Coronado Springs 8/99, Polynesian 1/2000, Next WDW Adventure; April 2001 Swan!</font>

Your trip sounds a lot like my solo trip right after Thanksgiving! I stayed at the Dolphin, and my corner room had two balconies, too! (I was on the west wing, though.) I also love the shrimp and pineapple salad from the "pacific rim" at Mill. Village. I can't wait to read the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter