Soarin and Everest?

kimmie

<font color=green>Sometimes I have senior moments
DH will be traveling next week with a broken ankle. We have rented an EVC from off site.
I have a few questions about Soarin and Everest.

I thought I read that at Soarin you need to take an elevator to the boarding area. Could someone tell me exactly how to get to the elevator. Can he easily transfer to the ride?

Also with Everest. How is the transfer there? He can hop a bit, but don't want to risk putting the foot down at all.
Will we be able to take the crutches with us? Either on the EVC or on the ride or ride area. Do the cm's hold the crutches for you on any rides? I am very confused and in a bit of a panic today! lol

Thanks for all the help! You guys are great.

Thanks,

Kimmie

When you get into The Land stay to the left and go down the ramp. Just before the Garden Grill podium turn left for the elevator. Note, you will be on the second floor going down to one.

If you are renting from off-site tell them you need crutch holders and they will make sure one is installed on the ECV. I think therte may be a one-time fee of $10.

And don't worry, the CMs will do all they can to assist.

The elevator isn't specifically to get to the boarding area for Soarin'. You enter the Land on the second floor and have to get down to first floor for most attractions. Every single time we have been in that building (which is a lot of times in the 20 years we have visited WDW), the CM stationed at the door has seen DD's wheelchair and told us which way yo go for the elevator, so it's not a problem.

Here's what I posted about Soarin' on the Theme Parks Board earlier that should answer all your questions about Soarin':

My DD uses a wheelchair. She can't walk or stand unless someone holds her because she has little balance. She went on Soarin' a number of times during our recent trip and we found it to be a very easy transfer.

There are no steps anywhere in the line or getting on the ride. There are some ramps going up and down in the queue, but no steps at all.
There is a picture on this page that shows the seats. They are 3 rows in each section; there are 3 sections in the theater. You are lined up before going into the theater and then follow the CM into the theater when it's time to go in (the first row follows the CM directly, the people in the second row follow the first row, etc).
The seats are steady when you get into them and the seat is about the same distance from the ground as a regular chair. The seats look hard in the picture, but are made of a thick mesh and feel sort of like lawn chairs. They are upright when you are getting in and out (like the picture shows), but the whole row tips back a bit as it rises up to the ride position, so that you ride in a bit of a recline.
You would be able to keep your cane to get into the ride car, then either have someone else in your party just lay it on the ground or give it to the CM. You have quite a bit of time to get into your seat and get settled and the CM walks along each row before your "trip" begins to make sure everyone is in OK and has seat belts fastened correctly. We never felt hurried getting on or off.
You will come back to exactly the same place at the end of the ride - in fact, some people with sandals will be leaving their shoes right there on the floor under their seats.

For EE, I have not been on, but DH was. The boarding area is level and a wheelchair/ECV could be pulled up as close as needed to the ride car (that is the case for most attractions). Then he could transfer and the CM would take both the wheelchair and crutches, etc. aaway from the boarding area for you and park them a safe distance away. They usually would bring the wheelchair back when it's time to get off (they keep track of the cars that people using wheelchairs are in), but I'd make sure someone else in your party is able to get to to it if necessary to position it the way he wants.
There is a ride car for EE that has an opening door (like the practice one outside the ride). The regular cars don't have an opening door; having it would give him more room to manouver his leg inside.

Thanks so very much!!!

I am printing this page as I write!

I really appreciate ALL of the help! :sunny:

I will need to call the rental company to make sure we have the "crutch holder"!

Thanks Again!!

Kimmie

Soarin' is just like Sue says - so no problems...

with Mission:Space - expect to wait.

when mother is in a wheelchair we always have to ride 2 (B).... I don't know why because they don't do anything special for mother....

however that say - since they do made us wait - I am assuming one of these has a wheelchair lift???? Although their book does not mention it.

go get the disability parks books at guest service for each park - they will help you decide which rides he can do easily.

I love Mission:Space - mother at 83 loved the lift off - she didn't enjoy the rest of it - things go wrong and you are surpose to help.... but if you don't the system takes over so no worries....

Thanks Pat! I will be sure to get a book at each park!

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQS thread near the top of this board, you will find a link to download a copy of the guidebooks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter