So angry with Disney Store

The problem comes with the volume. Disney does so much sales that yes the computer knows they have X number of items but if Y number of people process all the items at exactly the same time (which happens for limited release, limited edition, and sale items) then they can't fix it until after the fact. It really sucks but I've even had it happen at Apple and at Amazon where the numbers of people trying to get that 1 item are so high that you can process an order but not find out until later that it wasn't in stock and therefore you are on the back order list. Now what Disney could do better is how they inform people the item is either out of stock or on back order. In our case it was a Moana Hawaiian shirt. Sure we knew it was a shot it would be out in that size or we would get an email after processing saying sorry this item isn't available after all but my fiance never got anything and when the box came and there was just a hand written note he was really upset. Yes it was just a shirt and he got over it but he was really looking forward to that one in particular. It isn't even listed as a limited edition shirt or anything.

DH got the shirt you are talking about. I hope it comes back in stock in the right size because it is really quite nice. I am glad it actually arrived for us because if another item had been out of stock, I think it would have sent me off completely.

I don't understand how an item goes out of stock before it can be shipped. If you have x number of widgets and sell x number of widgets, each customer gets what they ordered. You can't have x in stock and sell y. It's basic math. A company the size of Disney should know this.
Or why it takes a store 9 days to tell me said item is out of stock. And another 3 to refund my money. 12 days to end up right where I started.:rolleyes1
The store wasn't Disney in my case, but same premise.

The problem comes with the volume. Disney does so much sales that yes the computer knows they have X number of items but if Y number of people process all the items at exactly the same time (which happens for limited release, limited edition, and sale items) then they can't fix it until after the fact. It really sucks but I've even had it happen at Apple and at Amazon where the numbers of people trying to get that 1 item are so high that you can process an order but not find out until later that it wasn't in stock and therefore you are on the back order list. Now what Disney could do better is how they inform people the item is either out of stock or on back order. In our case it was a Moana Hawaiian shirt. Sure we knew it was a shot it would be out in that size or we would get an email after processing saying sorry this item isn't available after all but my fiance never got anything and when the box came and there was just a hand written note he was really upset. Yes it was just a shirt and he got over it but he was really looking forward to that one in particular. It isn't even listed as a limited edition shirt or anything.
Amazon or Apple sure, but this is Disney! Whoever runs the Disney Store now is too cheap to upgrade their tech to keep up with demand but why spend the money? It's not like we can go elsewhere for these items.

Ah frick, that is so frustrating!!!

Back in the summer I placed an order online and had it sent to our US mailbox down in Blaine WA (we live in Vancouver BC). When I opened the order, yep an ornament was missing (what is it with ornaments?!) So I emailed them and there response was 'sorry we can't refund you but how about $10 online store credit."

Exsqueeze me?? No. I emailed back and said "nope, your mistaken not mine refund my money. NOW." Next response was 'here's a phone number to call." Five minutes on the phone and I had my refund. Bite me.

In store the service has always been great but online.....a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

For me, the Disney Store is the only on-line retailer I used this season that has screwed up "royally". Earlier today I received two e-mails telling me that items I ordered three weeks ago will be late and I will receive them in 7-10 business days. Then about 30 minutes ago I received two e-mails telling me that I'm not receiving these items at all! The eve before Christmas Eve? I have been more than patient with the Disney store. Last week I received a box from them large enough to hold two blu-ray players if you can imagine it. Rattling around inside was the Adventureland trash can ornament I ordered - it was in a small bubble wrap envelope and survived. That's it. A giant box for one tiny item. And now my other items are not coming after all. All of the many items I ordered via Amazon came just fine from a wide range of merchants. The Disney Store needs to get its act together before next Christmas.

For me, the Disney Store is the only on-line retailer I used this season that has screwed up "royally". Earlier today I received two e-mails telling me that items I ordered three weeks ago will be late and I will receive them in 7-10 business days. Then about 30 minutes ago I received two e-mails telling me that I'm not receiving these items at all! The eve before Christmas Eve? I have been more than patient with the Disney store. Last week I received a box from them large enough to hold two blu-ray players if you can imagine it. Rattling around inside was the Adventureland trash can ornament I ordered - it was in a small bubble wrap envelope and survived. That's it. A giant box for one tiny item. And now my other items are not coming after all. All of the many items I ordered via Amazon came just fine from a wide range of merchants. The Disney Store needs to get its act together before next Christmas.

This could of been written by me, the exact same thing happened to me today. I've been calling and chatting online with them since the 15th looking for shipping information as I ordered everything on the 11th. Every time I was told no problem the order will get there before Christmas...as late as yesterday. Well today I get the first email saying it won't be here until sometime next week, and the second says oh by the way, you are not getting half your order at all. Like MEM, all other packages have arrived, including an item that was on back order and not expected until after Christmas (not a present)

I didn't order anything online this year but last year I ordered something and realized the item wasn't what I thought it was. It was maybe 2 days later when I noticed it and tried to stop delivery. The online process was so frustrating so I just took my stuff to our Disney Outlet once the order came in. I find the Disney Outlet has been great to deal with when I have issues.

This is what I asked them when I called. They said that they oversold the items and because my order was delayed in shipping, they basically gave my items away to people who ordered after me. It was so frustrating to talk to them because they didn't seem to care. It was such a, "not my problem" attitude.
Basically admitted that they sold it to others at the higher price rather than honoring the sale for you

I ordered an ornament on the 20th and paid $19 in shipping to ensure I would receive it in time. Well last night I got an email saying your order is on its way. Now it says I should receive it on Dec 27th! I know this complaint seems petty but we went to MVMCP on the 18th during our Universal trip and while there I forgot to pick out an ornament for my Mom celebrating her first time being at Disney World and now we won't receive it in time. I'm definitely calling today to complain about the price I paid for expeditied shipping that wasn't expeditied

Chiming in with my experience. Placed an order on December 7th. I called a few days ago because it had never shipped. They said it would be arriving by last Tuesday. When it didn't I emailed and got the response that it should go out shortly. Yesterday I got several emails saying every item except one was out of stock and I was counting on these for Christmas gifts.

My mother ordered from them at the end of October. She only ordered 4 medium plush for center pieces for my baby shower. They arrived several days late and we almost had to go to the store the day of to buy replacements. I have only ordered from them a handful of times and they always make mistakes and their CS can be terrible to deal with which is why I avoid them like the plague. Its such a shame because I buy less from them as I don't go to the mall during the holiday season and instead do most shopping online.

I ordered an ornament on the 20th and paid $19 in shipping to ensure I would receive it in time. Well last night I got an email saying your order is on its way. Now it says I should receive it on Dec 27th! I know this complaint seems petty but we went to MVMCP on the 18th during our Universal trip and while there I forgot to pick out an ornament for my Mom celebrating her first time being at Disney World and now we won't receive it in time. I'm definitely calling today to complain about the price I paid for expeditied shipping that wasn't expeditied
UPDATE... my order arrived LATE on the 27th and of course the ornament is broken:(

We've ordered from the Disney Store for years and have noticed in the past year or so that their customer service and accuracy has really gone downhill (similar to what we have seen with our trips to DL and WDW- where we have really noticed a difference, particularly at WDW this year and last year). I have had situations where items were missing from my order, and also situations where I opened the box and found an additional item that I had not ordered. I got irritated at them this week because I bought some things from them on black Friday for Christmas, which among other things included 2 of the same shirts and an ornament. The inside of the 2 shirts was dubbed scratchy and the ornament arrived broken. I went to our in town store on December 26, and they gave me trouble about returning all of the items because the order was placed on Black Friday, November 25, so it was 31 days, instead of 30 days before the return (apparently they didn't care that the store was closed for the Holiday on the 30th day either). They have NO holiday return policy and a 30 day return limit. A manager finally okayed the return because I came into the store with the original box and which showed it wasn't even shipped until December 1. I looked at the tracking number and it was not received until December 7, but they said they do not go by when you actually received it for the 30 day return policy. For a company that historically has prided itself on customer service I was very surprised that they have no holiday return policy, will not accept returns on black Friday purchased items after Christmas, and won't even run the return time from when the product was actually delivered to your door by the delivery service that they selected to utilize. When we got home, I got online to see if others were complaining on the Disney store's facebook page or otherwise about the same issue, and I found a ton of complaints about people that were having problems similar to ops. There were a ton of people that did not receive their guaranteed Christmas delivery orders by Christmas, and I also saw several people who did get a box complaining that it was missing items or had items different than what they had ordered. Once person took a picture of the packing sheet in the box showing that the box contained her one item vera Bradley purse order, sitting on top of a Haunted Mansion shirt which is what was sent in the box! I looked again today and saw at least 2 people complaining that they had ordered embroidered fleece and the ones they received had the wrong names on them. They clearly were having all kinds of shipping issues. Sounds like they were understaffed to me.

Last edited:
Disney Store online really dropped the ball this year. I had issues too and it took me being very persistent on facebook messaging after posting on their facebook page to get any resolution. And it ended up taking 2 weeks for an order and I got notes in the box saying certain items were out of stock but I actually received them in another box. Didn't arrive in time to resend for Christmas gifts for my daughters but at least I got my items. Its pretty disappointing

This is what I asked them when I called. They said that they oversold the items and because my order was delayed in shipping, they basically gave my items away to people who ordered after me. It was so frustrating to talk to them because they didn't seem to care. It was such a, "not my problem" attitude.
Lol this sounds like American Airlines when they always overbook my flight. Once we got on the plane and they were basically closing the doors and realized 2 people didn't have seats. Hope it all sorts out! I just placed and order for Disney hopefully everything arrives...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter