Small 3 Year Old in Top Bunk?

DisneyWorld30th

Mouseketeer
I have twins, two 3 year olds (on the small size too) that are traveling with me. My stateroom has a single sofa bed and a ceiling pull down bed. Has anyone ever but a small child up there?

What other options do we have except for the twins to sleep together?

i'll bet they fight over who gets to sleep up there. There's a rail on the side of the bed. You could also put a pool noodle under the fitted sheet to provide another deterrent to being able to roll out

I have twins, two 3 year olds (on the small size too) that are traveling with me. My stateroom has a single sofa bed and a ceiling pull down bed. Has anyone ever but a small child up there?

What other options do we have except for the twins to sleep together?
Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with a young child up there. But you can request bed rails, if that helps. You certainly could put two small children on the sofa bed. It's a regular twin size bed, when open. As is the bunk.

Other options - kids & one parent in queen bed, one parent in sofa bed.
Put mattress from upper bunk on floor for one kid. One note on this, it seriously cuts into the floor space when in the room.

If you aren't comfortable with one of the little guys in the upper bunk, you could pull that mattress down to the floor -- one on the sofa and the other on the floor/mattress. Another option is to ask your stateroom host to make the sofa bed for the kids to sleep foot-to-foot (heads at opposite ends). That should work fine for small 3-yr-olds.

Enjoy your cruise!

Our 3 year old slept in the top bunk with rails and she was fine. I think my biggest concern would have been if she needed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but she's only gotten up to go to the bathroom a couple times in her entire life.

Thanks everyone for your reply. We will try them together on the small couch or bring the mattress down from the upper bed. I don't know if I could sleep at night if one of the kids is up there. Maybe next time!

I have twin boys that are three, and there is no way I would feel comfortable letting one of them sleep up on the top bunk. The last two cruises they have slept together on the sofa bed, and when we go in February, they will sleep together on the sofa bed.

You'll be surprised at the size of the sofa bed, I slept on it with my big for his age 2 year old, and I'm 5'8". I don't know that I'd let them know there was an upper bunk for fear they'd keep asking to sleep there.

Our 3 year old slept in the top bunk with rails and she was fine. I think my biggest concern would have been if she needed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but she's only gotten up to go to the bathroom a couple times in her entire life.

I was just about to say the same thing. I would be afraid of a child that young trying to navigate the ladder in a dark(ened) room by themselves.

I wanted to share that my 7 year old grandson, managed to fall off the top bunk with rails he did this from the part with no rails. He was a mover in his sleep an we did not know it. This was so scary for all of us. He is OK but it was quite a fall

I wanted to share that my 7 year old grandson, managed to fall off the top bunk with rails he did this from the part with no rails. He was a mover in his sleep an we did not know it. This was so scary for all of us. He is OK but it was quite a fall
Just to clarify - the upper bed does have a rail already provided. But it's short and doesn't extend the whole length of the bed. You can request additional rails, as many as you want.

My son slept on the top bunk when he was 3. I would not suggest it. He's a wiggler and had managed to get perpendicular. His lower body wiggled under the rail and his legs were hanging off the bed. I cannot imagine if he had slipped any more...the only to catch him at that point was his head. I'm so thankful I woke up to go to the bathroom and saw him like that. We put a rolled up blanket against the edge, but I still didn't sleep well the rest of the trip. Shrunks (I found it on amazon) makes an inflatable bed rail that I would look into if you think you'll use the top bunk. Otherwise, I'd put the mattress on the floor.

Three is a little young, and if you're not comfortable, then I wouldn't risk it. And a bit of unsolicited advice, don't let them know there's a bed in the ceiling. Kids want nothing more than what they can't have.

I was just about to say the same thing. I would be afraid of a child that young trying to navigate the ladder in a dark(ened) room by themselves.
I would also be cautious if the 3 year old sleeping on the bottom bunk waking up and moving the ladder in the middle of the night. This is something coming from personal experience, and the ladder can be moved easily by a 3 year old

DS was 8 and he almost fell out, I couldn't imagine a three year old. Both my kids move around a lot in their sleep. The sofa bed is quite big, I would put them both in there. If they are the type that can't fall asleep in the same bed like my guys. We put one in our bed and move them once they are asleep. Which at Disney is usually pretty quick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter