• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skipper Canteen vs. Homecoming

Jetku

DIS Veteran
I need help deciding between dinner at the Skipper Canteen and Art Smith's Homecoming.

I'm going on a whirlwind 3-day weekend trip with my wife and baby girl (17mo). I always want to do a "new" restaurant when we visit the World, and I now have to pick my birthday dinner.

We love Jungle Cruise, it's corny jokes, and the menu looks fine. Homecoming will be out of the way (staying at POR) and we would go late in the afternoon of our one MK day. The Homecoming menu looks phenomenal though, and I've only heard great things.

Any recommendations of one over the other?

We'll be back for a longer trip in August, so I'll have a chance to try the other, or revisit one of these if it becomes a staple!

Homecoming is awesome! If it's out of your way, try it in August! We tried it in August for the first time and loved it.. Honestly best fried chicken! We are going again this summer!

Well, I cant compare the two because we haven't been to Skipper Canteen yet, although we plan to try it soon. But we have been to Homecoming and I wholeheartedly recommend it! we did a two week foodie trip last November and it was hands down our favorite meal of the whole trip! the BEST fried chicken ever! and the Hummingbird cake was to die for!

I've had both and enjoyed both. If you want the best food, pick Homecoming. If you want more time at MK, pick Skipper's.

Skipper's Canteen is beautiful inside, and if you get a good server, it's fun! Homecoming is also beautiful inside (especially if you're into the Fixer Upper/Joanna Gaines modern rustic style), our service there was outstanding, and the food was delicious.

Thanks for the feedback. It's such a tough decision for a short weekend.

We are already going to have to leave MK for a nap at some point, so do we boat to Homecoming then bus back to MK from Saratoga, or just bus back to MK for Skipper Canteen?!

Personally, I rarely travel specifically for a restaurant. I look at what I want to do and where I plan to be and make our ADRs accordingly. I also happen to really like Skipper Canteen. We went in December and had excellent service, good food, and we loved the decor and the corny jokes. I haven't dined at Homecoming but I can recommend SC for sure.

I've been to both and they were both fine. Neither would be "destination" meal for my family (i.e., places that we would go out of way to go to), but we wouldn't avoid either place either. Given how short of a trip you have planned, I would go with whichever restaurant fits better into your plans for the day. If you were planning on going back to MK after the nap, then I would opt to eat a Skipper's Canteen (on bus ride gets you to your destination). If you think you might want to look around DS, then I would go with Homecoming (otherwise, that's a lot of "wasted" time - getting to and from your resort to DS and then heading to a park on a short trip).

If you like the corniness of Jungle Cruise, you're going to love Skipper. I was really pleased with the food and would definitely recommend it to anyone. I, too, am hard pressed to ever travel somewhere *just* for a meal if it doesn't fit well into a schedule.

If it's a short trip I'd go with Skipper Canteen. We enjoyed our meal there - can't compare it to Homecoming as we haven't been there. I just think you're going to eat up a lot of your time travelling to DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter