side trip to Vegas/suitable with a 14 yr old?

albianne

Mouseketeer
Is there any point in taking a side trip to Vegas for a day or so if we have a 14 yr old with us. We have never been there and don't know if there are other activities besides gambling. Can anyone vouch for some good family shows or family friendly places to stay. Is it worth the drive or should we just concentrate on DL.

I love Vegas. I'm sure your 14 year old would love it as well I mean there is gambling and drinking but there is also the cool shows that go on along the strip. My boyfriends nieces love going and they are 12, 8 and 6. Go to vegas.com and click on the attractions tab and it will list all the shows that go on at the different hotels. If you have a day to spare I would go. I don't know if it's the same from LA to Vegas but from Phoenix to Vegas there is only one rest area. It is horrible especially for a six hour drive so yeah plan for that!

We(5 couples) just took our first trip in years without kids. We have all sworn that we will never take kids again.

Yes there are plenty of activities that you can do with kids, but IMHO you can do similar things with them that will not require a 4 hour drive. But yes our kids do love vegas, because we have spoiled them unlike our parents did us when we where young. When we were growing up our parents would make us sit on a bench for hours while they played in restricted areas. But on our trips with the kids did all kinds of fun stuff with them, so no they consider vegas a KIDS vacation destination.

Things my kids enjoy(13, 15).
1. Star Trek Eperiance at the Hilton.
2. All Sport Park, it has the worlds greatest batting cages/go carts/mini golf/rock climbing. Head south on the strip and turn left on Sunset(corner of airport), it will be on your right hand side.
3. Aquarium at the Mandalay Bay.
4. Lion habitat at the MGM
5. White tiger habitat at the mirage
6. Fountain show at the Bellagio.
7. The Speed ride(roller coaster) at the Sahara.
8. Bowling at the Orleans, they also have a movie theater. This is where the kids insist on staying.
9. AdventureDome at Circus Circus.
10. BUFFETS.

We were there this summer with kids aged 6 - 14.

We did a couple things on the list above and enjoyed them. We also liked M&M World. I think it was across the street from or next to MGM.

albianne said:
Is there any point in taking a side trip to Vegas for a day or so if we have a 14 yr old with us. We have never been there and don't know if there are other activities besides gambling. Can anyone vouch for some good family shows or family friendly places to stay. Is it worth the drive or should we just concentrate on DL.

I love Vegas and my two kids (7 & 10) do too BUT if I was coming into CA (we live here) to visit Disneyland I don't think I would make the 5 + hour drive there for one day. I think it depends on where you live and how long you will be here. If you truly have 2 days extra to spend I think you will enjoy it. If it is only one day the drive alone will take up most of the day. I would focus on the activities closer to DL, Knotts, Universal, Hollywood etc.

As for what to do with a 14 year old there is lots to just see, tons of aracdes, moveis etc. My kids love it there and I never gamble. We just go once a year for fun.

Good luck with your decision.

azgal81 said:
I love Vegas. I'm sure your 14 year old would love it as well I mean there is gambling and drinking but there is also the cool shows that go on along the strip. My boyfriends nieces love going and they are 12, 8 and 6. Go to vegas.com and click on the attractions tab and it will list all the shows that go on at the different hotels. If you have a day to spare I would go. I don't know if it's the same from LA to Vegas but from Phoenix to Vegas there is only one rest area. It is horrible especially for a six hour drive so yeah plan for that!

Hi!
We are making our first trip to Vegas too! We are new to Arizona.So there is only one rest stop?Are talking bathroom stops or both food and restroom? Thanks!!!This is good to know.

Personally, I wouldn't do it as a day trip. When we combine DL and LV...we do at least three days in Vegas. We always stay at the Monte Carlo. The girls and I spend the entire day lounging at the wave pool and lazy river while dh gambles. We do M&M World, the white tiger exhibit, see the fountains at Bellagio in the evenings. But to drive 4-5 hours both ways to spend just the day...nope...I wouldn't suggest that.

Priorityonecb said:
Personally, I wouldn't do it as a day trip. When we combine DL and LV...we do at least three days in Vegas. We always stay at the Monte Carlo. The girls and I spend the entire day lounging at the wave pool and lazy river while dh gambles. We do M&M World, the white tiger exhibit, see the fountains at Bellagio in the evenings. But to drive 4-5 hours both ways to spend just the day...nope...I wouldn't suggest that.

I have to agree...although your 14 yo would love it I dont think I would do a day trip there...this time around I would just concentrate on Disney...if your able to add a day or 2 to your vacation then yeah...book a hotel in Vegas but if not I would say no :sad2:

We were there in August with my 10 year old DD and she had a ball. There is plenty to do besides gamble. And we were there for 4 days. Actually, DD just mentioned at dinner tonite that she'd like to go back to Vegas.

Hi, myself and Ella 1,are doing vegas,staying at the luxor as an add on to DL. :cool1: Her DD 17 and my 3 kids 2 DS's13and 7 and DD9 cannot wait.We are spending two nights there.I'm expecteing to have a great time with the kids, as there is so much to do there and i cannot wait to visit the premium outlets there :goodvibes Has anyone been to those!

a day in vegas, no,
don't think anyone would enjoy a day in vegas
vegas is like overload, you have to have more than a day just to figure out what you most want to do.

even for a dis over planner a day in vegas would not work.
there is so much stimulation and excitement in the air that plans go out the window and it takes longer to do what you wanted to do, and getting from one place to another takes longer to figure out and do than you planned on.

A 14-year old might like the roller coasters at New York New York or the Stratosphere.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter