Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia+DLP TR Sept 2014*COMPLETE* New TR link added 7/3

Day 8 Continued: Monday September 22nd

16225212237_3bcee09f93_c.jpg

08-056 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

16224354818_d913252cae_c.jpg

ABD 08-160 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

After that nice little break, we walked down towards the water and actually saw them changing out one of the gondola posts. Rosana told us that the city is built on millions of wooden pile-ons (there are 1.2 million under a single church!). Wood that is completely under water petrifies, but wood that is exposed to air will rot in the middle where the water level goes up and down, like posts, so those are changed out eventually.

16438418802_6e7663ef50_c.jpg

08-057 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

16251688848_517ae56a12_c.jpg

08-058 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Our final destination on the tour was the famous St. Mark’s Square, but of course, DH took photos along the walk of anything and everything. How could you not in a city so beautiful?

16253087609_3da9c04a19_c.jpg

08-059 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

16413360226_5024f72543_c.jpg

08-060 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

16439326125_53005fe850_c.jpg

08-061 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

16437543261_09d294f504_c.jpg

08-062 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

16251889560_30415f17ef_c.jpg

08-063 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

15819214443_a4a0094fc5_c.jpg

08-065 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We made it to St. Mark’s! That seems like a good place to stop for now.

UP NEXT: Piazza San Marco

Last edited:
We took a bus from the hotel to the train station also. To us it seemed so silly for the station would be a nice brisk walk from the Westin. Since the luggage went ahead of us also I would have preferred a stroll. Still love the Florence Westin. Did you get a chance to get some roof top shots from the Westin? There was a bar and outdoor walkways that we used to get some great shots of the Duomo. On Travel network the show "Bizzare Foods" with that host who travels the world eating everything goes to Florence on this upcoming show this week. I am going to watch just to see if I recognize any landmarks. Still LOVING the review....Thanks.

We told him we hadn’t made any progress with phone calls to Delta or Air France, and I’ll admit, I teared up a bit talking about it with him. But he made us feel totally at ease and told us Marco was working on it and not to let it ruin our day.
Yuck... sorry you had to deal with that drama at the end of the trip, but it is great to see that your guides made such an effort to try to help you out and minimize your stress.

Then, we had to play “wait and see.” See, the European train stations don’t like to post which platform you need to be on until sometimes minutes before the train is set to depart.

Luckily, once our platform was posted, it wasn’t a long walk to get over there…considering our platform number was posted at 10:53 and our train was to depart at 10:55!
Wow! That's just nuts! I can't believe they operate like that!

There goes our luggage!
I'd be a little nervous with it stacked that high floating across the water...

We made it to St. Mark’s! That seems like a good place to stop for now.
I'm sure that's a full update on its own!

Oh my goodness, that is the weirdest thing ever with platform time posting. I wonder if they film all the crazy mad dashes that would be sure to cause. I don't think I would function very well in that environment.

I can't imagine being in Venice and not riding a gondola. What a great experience.

The Florence terminal is not that big and only has a small number of platforms. You really don't get that rushed if you arrive a little before your designated time. Inside the train there is a speedometer that lets the passengers know how fast the train is traveling. It was a nice way to travel; and it is too bad the US doesn't invest in a high speed train system.

We still had to get on with our day though, so we had some breakfast, then went up to the room to finish getting our stuff together. We ran into Dusty in the lobby, and because the guides knew our flight info, he asked if we knew what we were going to do yet. We told him we hadn’t made any progress with phone calls to Delta or Air France, and I’ll admit, I teared up a bit talking about it with him. But he made us feel totally at ease and told us Marco was working on it and not to let it ruin our day. So that comforted us quite a bit, and we tried to relax as we made our way back down to the lobby to get on the bus.
It might just be my crummy memory, but I feel like I'm missing something here...what had happened with your flights?

Anyway, yay for Venezia!! Ahhhh, love that city! :cloud9:

How perfect that you got a gondola ride right off the bat. And on a nice day. Great way to enjoy it!

Kind-of scary to see all those bags floating by and piled high, though. :eek:

Mmmmm, peach bellinis! I love this day! :thumbsup2

It might just be my crummy memory, but I feel like I'm missing something here...what had happened with your flights?

Thanks for the heads up, I had missed a paragraph when copying my post from Word! I had a lot more trouble with the formatting on the new boards than I thought I would!! It's fixed now. :)

Thanks for the heads up, I had missed a paragraph when copying my post from Word! I had a lot more trouble with the formatting on the new boards than I thought I would!! It's fixed now. :)
Oh, I had wondered if something got cut out. That makes a lot more sense now! That's really nerve-wracking that they were on strike and your flight was approaching! :sad2:

What a stressful morning for you guys :( I'm glad you tried to not let it ruin your trip to Venice though.

Wow, the train stations sound so hectic, I would HATE that!!

Venice is GORGEOUS!! Every picture is just beautiful. The gondola ride must've been so awesome, a great memory to have.

Peach Bellinis, yum!!

that is a little nutty with the train platforms! Good thing you/your group was at least aware that was the case and prepared for it.

Must be amazing to get off the train and be like right there at the water. Venice sure looks beautiful and just such a unique city! (closest I have ever come is playing one of those Tomb Raider games where she has to explore Venice). I love all the little touches with the tour - like having the belinis, etc

I can only imagine how many pictures were taken by your group in Venice as it must be so hard not to capture absolutely everything.

I recall them talking about the ABD tourguides helping with the planes and re-booking flights etc, on the DISunplugged. As stressful as that situation was for you I am sure that made it a bit easier compared to if you were totally on your own.

Such a bummer about your possible flight cancellation. I am sure you must have been preoccupied with that. No fun at all.

Venice is such an amazing city. It really is one of my favorite to see in pictures. The gondolas and then the narrow little walkways. Very cool.

Wow - taking special orders for your last nights dinner. Nice!

Yum to the Peach Bellini!

What a fun way to start your time in Venice!! Very cool to hop right onto a Gondola ride and then a walking tour. That was so nice thye were trying to figure out the return. Reminds me of our time in Venice - when we were in Italy they had that volcano eruption which shut down flights across Europe due to the ash in the air. Up until the day of our flight home they were cancelled left and right and we were watching and waiting and worried the whole time, but our flight left right on schedule! Crazy.

Anyway, I loved our time wandering around Venice - as you said SO easy to get lost, but then also pretty easy to figure out where you are as well.

Finally caught up. I'm sure I've said this before, but when I see your gorgeous nighttime photos, I know that's why I've just never really taken to cruising. I saw so much of Europe on my ABD add-on to my Med cruise, but we didn't get to see *any* of the places at night, and I think that's such a shame, and something I really miss. I so much prefer the land-based ABDs.

And I have to say, while I can't imagine how stressful the whole flight thing had to have been, you could not possibly have been in better hands than to have the ABD Guides working for you as your "concierges". If you'd arranged the trip yourselves, you'd have to have stopped everything, and just missed a part of your day in order to settle your flight. It's one of the intangibles of doing an ABD that you just can't put a price on, or properly explain to others. Waiting to hear what happened with that!

It definitely looks like I need to go back to Italy some day. Both to see it at night, and to see Venice, which looks amazing!

Sayhello

Ah, Venice! Wish I was back there instead of in this miserable cold weather! I was very nervous about the gondola ride actually, and almost didn't do it. I had worked it up in my mind to the point that I was convinced that I would end up in the Grand Canal. I'm so glad I sucked it up and got in. It was amazing!!

The train ride to Venice looks so nice! We just took a bus…

The gondola ride looks absolutely magical, even if it wasn't a private one!

I agree, I had the hardest time navigating Venice. I was able to figure Florence out right away, not so much Venice!

We took a bus from the hotel to the train station also. To us it seemed so silly for the station would be a nice brisk walk from the Westin. Since the luggage went ahead of us also I would have preferred a stroll. Still love the Florence Westin. Did you get a chance to get some roof top shots from the Westin? There was a bar and outdoor walkways that we used to get some great shots of the Duomo. On Travel network the show "Bizzare Foods" with that host who travels the world eating everything goes to Florence on this upcoming show this week. I am going to watch just to see if I recognize any landmarks. Still LOVING the review....Thanks.

The Westin was absolutely beautiful. It was easily my favorite of the three rooms we stayed in during the trip. All of the hotels were beautiful and in perfect locations, but nothing beats those beds at the Westin. Heavenly! We did not end up going up to the top of the hotel while there. Bummer. I bet that would have been some gorgeous views!

Glad you are enjoying!

Yuck... sorry you had to deal with that drama at the end of the trip, but it is great to see that your guides made such an effort to try to help you out and minimize your stress.

Wow! That's just nuts! I can't believe they operate like that!

I'd be a little nervous with it stacked that high floating across the water...

I'm sure that's a full update on its own!

The guides were absolutely worth their weight in gold! They really helped us to relax and enjoy our last couple of days despite the mess of Air France and our flight.

It was really crazy not knowing where you needed to be until just a few minutes before you needed to be there. And as Dusty warned us, the train waits for NO ONE!

:rotfl:I didn't think about it like that, but you're totally right. It would have been awful if someone's bag ended up at the bottom of the Canal!!

Yep, hoping I can get there tonight. The new boards are still messing with my mind!

Oh my goodness, that is the weirdest thing ever with platform time posting. I wonder if they film all the crazy mad dashes that would be sure to cause. I don't think I would function very well in that environment.

I can't imagine being in Venice and not riding a gondola. What a great experience.

It was definitely NOT for me! I am an anxious person in general, but especially when it comes to traveling and knowing where to be and when to be there. So Italian train stations are not my favorite place, needless to say. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be doing that on my own and dragging my luggage!

It was REALLY amazing, and of course so wonderful that it was included because gondola rides can be pricey. But it's so iconic to that city, you just HAVE to do it!

Oh, I had wondered if something got cut out. That makes a lot more sense now! That's really nerve-wracking that they were on strike and your flight was approaching! :sad2:

Ahh, the new boards were totally getting to me with that update. Thanks again for pointing out the oversight so I could fix it! :thumbsup2

It was definitely not a fun thing to wake up to, and so close to the end of the trip. We were lucky though that we had the guides along to help us out through the morning so we could still enjoy ourselves.

What a stressful morning for you guys :( I'm glad you tried to not let it ruin your trip to Venice though.

Wow, the train stations sound so hectic, I would HATE that!!

Venice is GORGEOUS!! Every picture is just beautiful. The gondola ride must've been so awesome, a great memory to have.

Peach Bellinis, yum!!

It is just something with us and travel, it never goes totally smooth! I am glad we were able to move past it for the moment and enjoy such a beautiful city.

The train station was way too stressful for me. I totally appreciated being part of an ABD at that moment and not having to navigate the whole thing on our own.

Venice is literally breathtaking in person. I still can't even believe sometimes that a place so beautiful exists and that I was lucky enough to be able to visit there! I just wish we had more time there, two days was not nearly enough!

that is a little nutty with the train platforms! Good thing you/your group was at least aware that was the case and prepared for it.

Must be amazing to get off the train and be like right there at the water. Venice sure looks beautiful and just such a unique city! (closest I have ever come is playing one of those Tomb Raider games where she has to explore Venice). I love all the little touches with the tour - like having the belinis, etc

I can only imagine how many pictures were taken by your group in Venice as it must be so hard not to capture absolutely everything.

I recall them talking about the ABD tourguides helping with the planes and re-booking flights etc, on the DISunplugged. As stressful as that situation was for you I am sure that made it a bit easier compared to if you were totally on your own.

One of the best parts of being with ABD vs. planning and executing the trip on our own was for things just like that, the travel between cities, especially through hectic train stations!

I didn't know exactly what to expect when we got off of the train, but walking out and seeing the water spread out in front of you...GOOSEBUMPS! It was so incredible! The guides always made sure a little bit of pixie dust was following us around wherever we went.

Although we were in Venice for the shortest amount of time of the three cities, I would absolutely believe it that the most pictures were taken of that one city! You want to just capture it all so you don't forget how beautiful it is.

Absolutely. Kevin saw how stressed we were in the lobby that morning when we found out our flight could possibly be cancelled, and he reassured us that we could let the guides handle it and not to spend our day worrying. He was totally right, and it made us appreciate the guides that much more!

Such a bummer about your possible flight cancellation. I am sure you must have been preoccupied with that. No fun at all.

Venice is such an amazing city. It really is one of my favorite to see in pictures. The gondolas and then the narrow little walkways. Very cool.

Wow - taking special orders for your last nights dinner. Nice!

Yum to the Peach Bellini!

Travel stress is never fun, but especially in a foreign country. It was a cloud hanging over our heads, that's for sure!

I knew before the trip I would love Venice, but I had no idea that I would ABSOLUTELY FREAKING LOVE VENICE!! It's literally the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

The Bellinis were a great touch! And what a beautiful little spot to enjoy them, too.

What a fun way to start your time in Venice!! Very cool to hop right onto a Gondola ride and then a walking tour. That was so nice thye were trying to figure out the return. Reminds me of our time in Venice - when we were in Italy they had that volcano eruption which shut down flights across Europe due to the ash in the air. Up until the day of our flight home they were cancelled left and right and we were watching and waiting and worried the whole time, but our flight left right on schedule! Crazy.

Anyway, I loved our time wandering around Venice - as you said SO easy to get lost, but then also pretty easy to figure out where you are as well.

It was definitely great to get right onto a gondola, which is the absolute iconic thing to do in Venice. It was also great to hop right into the walking tour after a relaxing train ride.

Someone else on our trip was talking about the volcano eruption, I believe. Interruptions to travel plans are always stressful, but even more so being in a foreign country and having trouble getting in touch with someone who speaks English and is in your current time zone to be able to help you. lol

Venice was a strange city for me. We would wander and wander and just when I would start panicking that we were hopelessly lost, we'd figure out where we were!

Finally caught up. I'm sure I've said this before, but when I see your gorgeous nighttime photos, I know that's why I've just never really taken to cruising. I saw so much of Europe on my ABD add-on to my Med cruise, but we didn't get to see *any* of the places at night, and I think that's such a shame, and something I really miss. I so much prefer the land-based ABDs.

And I have to say, while I can't imagine how stressful the whole flight thing had to have been, you could not possibly have been in better hands than to have the ABD Guides working for you as your "concierges". If you'd arranged the trip yourselves, you'd have to have stopped everything, and just missed a part of your day in order to settle your flight. It's one of the intangibles of doing an ABD that you just can't put a price on, or properly explain to others. Waiting to hear what happened with that!

It definitely looks like I need to go back to Italy some day. Both to see it at night, and to see Venice, which looks amazing!

Sayhello

I always thought I would want to do a Med cruise and visit a bunch of different cities, but just from observing in Venice how rushed the cruisers were all day and then how the city was practically empty at night, I don't think I would enjoy it as much as I once thought. It doesn't give you nearly enough time to explore these amazing cities what really deserve to be explored!

You hit the nail on the head with this. We had already decided that ABD was more than worth the premium price, but this day and seeing Marco work so hard to help us out really cemented that fact!

Oh, absolutely. Venice is worth a trip on its own! I sincerely hope DH and I are able to get back one day. I definitely don't think we had enough time there.

Ah, Venice! Wish I was back there instead of in this miserable cold weather! I was very nervous about the gondola ride actually, and almost didn't do it. I had worked it up in my mind to the point that I was convinced that I would end up in the Grand Canal. I'm so glad I sucked it up and got in. It was amazing!!

We don't have miserable cold weather here (more like back and forth so we get to play the "how should we dress today?" game every morning!), but I would absolutely love to be back there right about now. I'm so glad you didn't talk yourself out of the gondola ride! It was so amazing, and from the pictures, it looks like you & Brian had a great time! What a wonderful memory that ride was.

The train ride to Venice looks so nice! We just took a bus…

The gondola ride looks absolutely magical, even if it wasn't a private one!

I agree, I had the hardest time navigating Venice. I was able to figure Florence out right away, not so much Venice!

It was pretty cool being able to travel through the country in different ways instead of just the bus. There was just something so cool about speeding across the Italian countryside on a high speed train!

The gondola ride was a highlight, for sure. It was fantastic, even with Rosemary & Jean joining us. :goodvibes

It seemed with each city our maps had less and less information on them to help us orient ourselves. :rotfl: Venice was tough, but it's not so bad of a place to get a little lost in either.

It was definitely NOT for me! I am an anxious person in general, but especially when it comes to traveling and knowing where to be and when to be there. So Italian train stations are not my favorite place, needless to say. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be doing that on my own and dragging my luggage!
Actually, it's not just Italian train stations! They did the same thing in London Euston station when I was catching my train to Edinburgh! And I was on my own! I'd purchased a First Class ticket, and could have used the First Class Lounge to wait, but I just didn't feel like I could leave the main area and do that since I had *no idea* where my train would be taking off from. They announced it just a few minutes before it left, and then it was a mad rush to the train. I made it, but it's definitely a bit nerve wracking!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Marco was absolutely AMAZING in working to get our flight situation figured out for us so we didn't have to worry. As soon as we were settled in on the train he came over and got a copy of our itinerary with our flight information and confirmation numbers and started making calls for us. The different time zone really threw us since we could only talk to someone that spoke English from 8-5 New York time, not very convenient in trying to work things out and still enjoy your vacation. He spent almost the whole train ride on the phone working out flight details. After awhile he came over with a ton of information for us and several options that we would not have figured out on our own. The worst part was since we are both planners we just wanted it to be resolved and taken care of so we wouldn't have to worry about this anymore but Air France would not cancel anything until 24 hours ahead of departure time. So there was still a chance our flight could go so we didn't want to book anything else in case our flight was the rare one that actually flew and then be stuck paying for two tickets. Marco had looked into other flights and even taking a train from two different train stations and logistics on getting to the train station and making the connections at different stations to make it all the way to Paris. :scared: So many options were given to us but still had to wait until the 24 hour make before we could move forward with any plans. Marco truly was a life saver in being able to talk to the airline for us and get all the information he could from them, while we were able to relax(as best we could) and just enjoy the train ride.

Marco was absolutely AMAZING in working to get our flight situation figured out for us so we didn't have to worry. As soon as we were settled in on the train he came over and got a copy of our itinerary with our flight information and confirmation numbers and started making calls for us. The different time zone really threw us since we could only talk to someone that spoke English from 8-5 New York time, not very convenient in trying to work things out and still enjoy your vacation. He spent almost the whole train ride on the phone working out flight details. After awhile he came over with a ton of information for us and several options that we would not have figured out on our own. The worst part was since we are both planners we just wanted it to be resolved and taken care of so we wouldn't have to worry about this anymore but Air France would not cancel anything until 24 hours ahead of departure time. So there was still a chance our flight could go so we didn't want to book anything else in case our flight was the rare one that actually flew and then be stuck paying for two tickets. Marco had looked into other flights and even taking a train from two different train stations and logistics on getting to the train station and making the connections at different stations to make it all the way to Paris. :scared: So many options were given to us but still had to wait until the 24 hour make before we could move forward with any plans. Marco truly was a life saver in being able to talk to the airline for us and get all the information he could from them, while we were able to relax(as best we could) and just enjoy the train ride.
Love that! But I can understand just wanting to have it settled! Oy vey!

Sayhello

Day 8 Continued: Monday September 22nd

When I left off, we had made it to the iconic St. Mark's Square in Venice! It was not nearly as crowded as I had expected, and it brought tears to my eyes. I have spent so many years going to WDW and walking into the Italy pavilion at Epcot with stars in my eyes, wishing for the day I would get to see it all in person. And now I finally was! It was an awesome moment.

08-065
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

08-067

ABD 08-174

ABD 08-185
At that point, Rosana told us we would be heading over to tour the Basilica. Dusty was kind enough to wait with all of our bags so that we wouldn't have to carry them into the church with us for our brief tour inside.

ABD 08-181
Meanwhile, we were following the orange sign across the Square and to our destination.

08-070

08-077
The columns of San Marco and San Theodoro
Rosana pointed out the columns and told us that executions used to take place there. Because of this, it is considered bad luck to walk between them.

08-072

08-073

08-074

08-075

08-076

08-079
We had to navigate around some people to get inside of the Basilica (and ditch a hanger-on that was trying to get in with us!), but eventually we made it inside. The building that stands there now is actually the third version of the Basilica. The first was destroyed in an uprising and then rebuilt. The second version was demolished by a Doge who wanted a bigger basilica. This version was built in 1094. So, still pretty old!

08-080

08-081

08-082
The inside is immense and so ornate! The mosaics in the ceiling and on the walls are 900 years old! The floors are uneven, not surprisingly considering it's built over the water. Rosana pointed out a brown line that was visible on a lot of the marble pillars, which you might think have something to do with water lines and flooding, but it actually isn't. Back in the old days there were no seats inside, so people sat on the floor and leaned against the pillars with their dirty heads and it stained the marble pillars! She also told us that to this day, people still get married down in the crypt where St. Mark is buried.

Our tour inside of the basilica was pretty short, so soon enough we were headed back out into the now more crowded Square to finish up our walking tour with Rosana.

08-085

08-087

08-088

08-091
We saw LOTS of people getting the birds to land on them, but I sure as heck wasn't about to let them land on me! In fact, I specifically warned everyone one that should one land on me, I would scream as loud as I possibly could.

08-092
Then it was time to head to the last hotel of our ABD stay, the Luna Baglioni. It was literally steps away from St. Mark's Square, which made it pretty easy to find whenever we ventured out on our own, because we could just follow the signs back to the Square! It was also right on the water with a gondola stand right outside of the front doors.

08-097

08-098

08-100
The beautiful lobby
We got our room assignments and went up to our room to start working on our flight situation. Marco had done a lot of the leg work for us, but the one thing he couldn't help us with was the fact that we had booked the flight with credit card points. DH had to spend a lot of time on the phone with our credit card company only to find out that absolutely nothing could be done unless the flight was actually cancelled. And since that hadn't happened yet, we literally had to just wait and see, even if that meant going all the way to the airport and finding out it was cancelled right before it was scheduled to take off. That was disappointing, but there was nothing else we could do at the moment, so we decided to stop worrying about it for the time being and enjoy the rest of our day.

In the time DH was on the phone, I went down to the hospitality desk Dusty & Marco had set up to get suggestions for dinner. Also, Dusty had told DH about a helicopter tour of Venice that we could do, and Pete from the DIS had even said he would pay for us to go as long as DH let him use the photos he took for the site! DH was ecstatic about that possibility, but I was still more than a little nervous about the whole idea. Dusty gave me a couple of suggestions for dinner, and marked them on our map. But he had also found out that the helicopter tours were not being offered because an aerialist had been killed doing a stunt in an air show. While I was absolutely sad someone had died, I couldn't help but be a little relieved that we didn't have the choice of taking the tour anymore.

I went back up the room to check on DH and we decided to head out for a little exploring and shopping before dinner.

Continued in next post...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter