Shopping Questions from an International Exchange Student

MusicalDisneyDreams

Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow.
I'm a student from the United States, and I'm spending the fall semester of my senior year at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston, England. I'll be cooking my own food, and I have a fairly tight budget. I was wondering if you all could tell me what the main grocery store chains are, as well as what discount-type stores I would find that are comparable to Walmart/Target. Thanks so much for all of your help!

The main supermarkets are asda, tesco, sainsburys, Waitrose, morrisons, aldi and lidl. Aldi and lidl are considered the budget supermarkets, with Waitrose the premium end of the scale. Tesco and sainsburys are in the middle. Asda is basically Walmart, you can get practically anything there. In fact I think asda is owned by Walmart but I may be wrong. I work for Waitrose, so I am
bias but I will say you'll get great quality there and prices are competitive. It's also best for customer service!
In any town centre/high street you'll get a load of pound shops or places like wilko that sell almost everything very cheap. A bit of food and drink, batteries, cups, paper, cleaning products, toiletries etc.
If you're after food on a budget I would say stick with lidl or aldi or asda. They will probably have the cheapest and asda also probably have the best deals, eg loads of buy on get one free offers. If you're eating out, look for a chain of pubs called Wetherspoons. It's probably the best value food and drink you'll get eating out. You can get a main meal (burger/hot dog/chicken and chips, etc) and an alcoholic drink for about £6. It's cheap and cheerful but not offensive. Any other questions feel free To send me a message.

I would sign up for a BOOTS card. Boots are a chain like a drugstore. Their loyalty card is the best scheme around. I would also sign up for Tesco loyalty card. Their loyalty scheme is a great way to food shop on a budget.

Sign up to UNI DAYS Its a student discount scheme for clothes shops like H & M etc

ALWAYS carry your student card and anywhere you go, ask " do you have a student discount" You can get a student discount in cinemas, on public transport, clothes shops and so much more. Some places dont advertise their student discount so always ask.

As well as the shops mentioned by PP check out Iceland. Its another cheep and cheerful shop which sells alot of frozen food but they do sell fresh fruit and veg and other grocery items.

Also get to know when the shops close and go in about 2 hours before closing time. Most shops have a discount shelf where they mark down food items they cant sell the next day. The food is perfectly ok but due to food laws the shops are not allowed to sell it once it is past its sell by date. Most students and people on a low budget know this trick :)

Thank you both for all of your help! I'll definitely look ino all of the stores and discount programs you mentioned to see which ones will work the best for me. Thanks a million! :upsidedow

hello, we live in Preston ...:flower1: just to add the the above, assuming you will leave like most of the students near uni you will have aldi in walking distance, asda by bus; there are only small tesco in Preston but one is very close to uni... for dry food snacks have a look in Home Bargains there are always good deals there, fresh veg/fruits I would check indian shops ; there are also some asian shops near uni and prices are good plus I polish shops espacialy for cheese , cold meat etc...

any question just let me know and I will try to help... Hope you will have a good time here pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter