Sheraton Lake Buena Vista

sb682

DIS Veteran
We booked the Sheraton LBV on Priceline and stayed there July 18-22. They just finished a major refurb and overall, we had a great experience.

Pluses:
- Rooms are nicely decorated with white bed linens, contemporary wallpaper/carpeting and comfortable mattresses and pillows.
- Very clean. Not a speck of dust or loose hair to be found in the room.
- Well-soundproofed. Other than occasional noise from the parking lot (we had parking lot view) or hallway, it was very quiet.
- Pools look awesome. We didn't have a chance to use them, but there were kids having fun every afternoon out there. Waterslide in one pool, other pool is zero-entry and has a volleyball net on one side.
- If you indicate you'd like to decline housekeeping via the brown and green door hanger, staff will leave a $5 food and drink voucher at your door each night you opt out. We rarely have housekeeping visit, so we cashed our vouchers in on the last day and got free coffee and pastries for breakfast. We thought it was a nice perk.
- Fridges and coffee makers in each room. They provide packets of Starbucks coffee, creamer and sugar. Also provided as part of the resort fee are 2 bottles of Nestle water per day. Housekeeping will restock your room.
- Just 1 light down from Hotel Plaza Blvd. It's easy to take the back way into the resort via Winter Garden Vineland Rd., then Buena Vista Dr. Giordano's Pizza (great GF pizza), Steak 'N' Shake and Sizzler are in the plaza next door. Across the street are Walgreens, Joe's Crab Shack, Dunkin' Donuts, Pizza Hut and the Crossroads shopping center.

Negatives:
- Hotel still needs some work. There was one elevator at each end of our building (3) and the closest to us was the service elevator. Occasionally, the door got stuck open on the first floor and the elevator would not move. Just push the door in and it operates normally. Shouldn't have to do that, but no big deal. Looks dated from the outside, should that matter to you.
- Traffic can get crazy at peak times. Take the back road I mentioned to avoid I-4 or Hotel Plaza Blvd. if you are trying to get to the parks.
- The hotel market did not open until 7. Pretty early, but not early enough if you want to get to RD.
- $17/day resort fee. Includes parking, wi-fi, 2 bottles of water and I'm not sure what else. Keep it in mind when pricing your stay.

Overall, we really liked the Sheraton LBV and I would recommend it if you want an affordable, updated room right outside the gates with easy access to restaurants, shops and other attractions.

It was Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista, 4 stars, and $70 was my winning bid.

I stayed at this Sheraton while in town for a business trip. Apparently it used to be awful, according to the airport driver who took me there, but I thought it was pleasant with the renovations. I agree that the elevators were really bad for a Sheraton-branded hotel. My off-season rate (booked at SPG.com) was $90 a night, less than a third of the cost of the Starwood hotels on WDW property.

If you have a car and don't care about benefits like extra magic hours, this is a great alternative to staying on Disney property.

The only advice I have is not to rely on the shuttle service to the theme parks unless you're very flexible and patient. Because the shuttle is shared with many other area hotels, it can run very late. In my case, it arrived 50 minutes after scheduled departure and took another 45 minutes to stop and load passengers at other hotels. Your choice of return times are also quite limiting. (I visited during the off-season, so I wonder if busy season has more busses running.)

Luckily, the hotel is also very close to the Orlando Lynx bus system. There's a stop across the intersection, and bus #50 runs to the TTC every half hour or so for $2.00 one-way. (From the TTC, you can take Disney coaches, monorails, ferryboats, etc. to your theme park destination.)

Stayed here twice... 2010 and 2012. We do a split stay, the first few days offsite to visit family and go to Legoland and other area attractions. It was pretty good. I actually liked it better in 2010 than in 2012, since they renovated the pool and made it seem less tropical to me. Still it was fine overall. It's a roof, decent mini-suites with pull-out sofa for the price.

The elevators were old and clunky for a modern hotel. Wasn't really a huge deal tho, didn't have to wait for it much if at all. Bar drinks were weak. By 2012 the pool was bigger, plus they added a second pool and movies at night which was pretty cool. Overall I give it a 7/10.

Could use a little bigger rooms... more tree cover by the pool, and the evening movie was hard to hear. But for location, being right across the street from Disney and on Apopka Vineland road where there is tons of stuff, it's got the location and pretty good amenities for a good price making it a 7. Kids got good use of the pool and water slide, both before and after the reno.

Considering this for a few nights pre-cruise and maybe to visit a WDW park or Sea World... do you need a rental car? (We are spoiled always staying on WDW property.) or are things walkable?
How many does a family (or jr) suite hold? Do they offer b'fast (free) or is there a restaurant on site?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter