SF hotel recom?

RN_Mom

Mouseketeer
We are hoping to go to San Diego in July for a multi purpose trip and are wanting to drive up to San Fran. for a couple days. We will have a rental car and I am seeing that parking is very costly up there:eek:. I grew up in SD so i know that area well but have never been to SF and was hoping to find a clean hotel with free/cheap parking. It will be DH, DD4(her bday while we are there) and myself so safety is a must. Dont want to be freaked everytime we go somewhere, dont need spotless neighborhood just not ghetto. Any suggestions?

The hotels downtown, including the financial district, Union Square area, and the Wharf area will all have high parking charges.

The hotels/motels along Lombard street, stretching from Van Ness west to the entrance of the Presidio (and Palace of Fine Arts) will typically be cheaper, and mostly not have any parking charges. They tend to be motels. And while the area is not as upscale, it's not dirty or dangerous, either. Keep in mind, you'll need to drive a few miles to get to the sights; and you'll probably have parking fees when you get to the Wharf or downtown.

-Bob

Exactly what we've found - we go up at least once a year. Sometimes I priceline or hotwire nob hill or union square area hotels and if I can get them for around $100 to $120 then we park in non-hotel city lots for around $20 a night and street park in the day.

Otherwise it's Lombard Street - there are a few sister properties including the Chelsea & Coventry that are in very decent neighborhoods (nice shopping area with delis etc just parallel to it ). Not fancy, but clean and good sized rooms that include parking. And depending on time of year can be as low as around $80 a night and rarely over $100- check for AAA rates if you're a member. Upper floors sometimes have peekaboo views ( can't remember which, but we saw the Golden Gate from one of them)

Don't miss the Disney Family Museum!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn by Fisherman's Wharf, and parking was pretty expensive there. However, we were able to walk to Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, & the end of the cable car line. We took the cable car to Union Square, etc.

From some of the other reviews, though, it might be nice to stay near Union Square.

We stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn . . . free parking at that time. Check it out on Trip Advisor. We got around on foot and by public trans the whole time we were in SF, except for one day when we did the 49 Mile Drive.

As far as "freaked out," SF has a lot of homeless people, seemed to me they were pretty much everywhere. Watch out for the "Bush Man" down along the Wharf Area.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn by Fisherman's Wharf, and parking was pretty expensive there. However, we were able to walk to Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, & the end of the cable car line. We took the cable car to Union Square, etc.

From some of the other reviews, though, it might be nice to stay near Union Square.

We have also stayed there and it was very nice and in a great location for all of the things we wanted to do. Parking is costly but we used Hotwire and paid $69/night so even with the parking it was under $100.

We loved the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf--excellent location, nice hotel. We bought 3 day muni passes at the Walgreens Drug Store across the street....it includes the cable car system. Not sure about the parking fee, we returned our rental car about two blocks up the street, we didn't need it while in SF. By the way, I highly recommend the Beach Street Cafe for breakfast. Really excellent food, good prices.

We have also stayed there and it was very nice and in a great location for all of the things we wanted to do. Parking is costly but we used Hotwire and paid $69/night so even with the parking it was under $100.

On hotwire how did you know it was that hoteL?

I just booked the TravelLodge Golden Gate for 4 nights in March - $65 a night w/free parking and the TripAdvisor reviews are really good (I was actually surprised at how good). I have a friend who loves this motel and stays there a couple of times a year.

http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/control/Booking/check_avail?variant=&id=09598&propBrandId=TL&force_nostay=false&bmInSession=true&tab=tab1

It seems to be a bit further from the "tourist" stuff than the Columbus . . . is it close to transportation? The last thing I would want to do is use my car daily.

It seems to be a bit further from the "tourist" stuff than the Columbus . . . is it close to transportation? The last thing I would want to do is use my car daily.
According to my friend it has easy access to the Muni line and he says the hotel staff is very well versed on the transportation system and is very helpful. The wharf is a 15 minute walk per a trivadvisor review I read.

Proximity depends on what touristy stuff you want - we will be hitting the California Academy of Sciences, the Exploratorium (Palace of the Fine Arts), The DeYoung Museum, China Town and possibly the wharf for an Alcatraz excursion. The only driving I am planning is to go across the bridge and wander over to Point Bonita on the N. side near Rodeo beach.

The Columbus is on the opposite side of the city, it is near N. Beach so closer to the Ferry Bldg. Embarcadero Center, Union Sq and ChinaTown.

We will utilize Muni, cable cars and taxi's as needed. We tend to use the Muni and cable cars during the day and a taxi to return to our hotel at night.

Chalk up another vote for the Columbus Motor Inn. Stayed there in 08 and parking is included. Big rooms, restaurant and bar directly over the road with takeaways. 5 minute walk to the wharf and a fraction of the price that you'll pay staying ON the wharf. Would not hesitate using it again.....

As far as the homeless go, they are pretty much everywhere, but with the close proximity of the restaurant and bar you don't need to go far for a feed. The flipside is I get up early (5am) and always walk down to the wharf at that time to get some seafood and feel as safe as houses.

San Fran is a truly great city. Enjoy yourself!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter