~~ Sew your Disney side Alli-son-son!! ~~ Allison's grad trip Jan 2016 ~~ Complete 2/22

OH MY GOSH!! I could not read the entire nail post. Whew! Bless her heart! I cannot imagine!! Glad she was able to laugh and smile about it later!

Just wanted to add -- I lurk more than post, but you are like the Incredible Shrinking Lady! You look amazing!

Enjoying your TR. Glad your daughter was ok. Looking forward to the rest of your TR.

her hand slipped and she ripped her entire pinky nail off of her right hand!
Oh I know that must have HURT! I get gel nails once in awhile, but I really don't like acrylics because of this! Yikes!

I love Ronald - and he saved the day definitely.
Glad Ronald could help, and I can't believe so many CM's didn't know where 1st Aid was--unacceptable!

We decided to share a jalapeno pretzel...
I'm dying to try this, and don't know how I managed to not do it on my last trip. I'm making a snack list for our next trip, just so I can try some of the snacks I read about here on the DIS!

I'm looking forward to hear more information on your use of SoG transportation during your trip!

Awesome pictures of the giraffes! They must have just let them out onto the Savannah when you arrived.

Yum Mickey Waffles! Can't wait to have some of those in a few days. ::yes::

Sorry that happened to Allison. Wish I had been with you. For some odd reason (maybe because I'm an overplanner) I know where the first aid station is in all of the parks. Never had to use one, knock on wood, but I know where they are!

Ouch!!!! Poor Allison! And you're right -- it's completely unacceptable that no one knew where First Aid was or acted like they cared that she was hurt (except that one sweet CM --- what a nice guy!). It looks like a fun day, even with the injury.

We stopped for a Photopass picture with out any crowds...

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneys_Animal_Kingdom_Park_7581201496.jpg

Great picture of you two!!! I see that you both have jackets on, was it that cold that you needed one everyday?

SO many giraffes!! They are my favorite!!!:lovestruc

Tusker House sounded like fun, the characters always look so cute in their safari gear. You and Allison also got in many rides that morning, sounded successful!!!
Gosh I am so sorry about what happened to Allison though. That poor girl, with all she has been going through...
Thank goodness for ronald though, he sounded like he saved the day!

Day 2 Part 3

After we said our goodbyes to Cindy, we went into AKL... It was just as beautiful and gorgeous as it was 2 months ago when Suzi and I had left it...

20160117_133948_HDR.jpg

I really wanted to share some of this beautiful resort with Allison... So, I took her out to one of the savanna overlooks... And I showed her a few hidden Mickeys, and a few animals.

20160117_134355.jpg

But let's be real here folks - the actual reason for our visit was the food. LOL I just had to have the curry salad (I love curry)... And I also had the chicken pita with couscous.... I could have cared less whether I'd had the chicken pita or not - I just wanted the curry salad and couscous. LOL The pita was very good though, and tasted better than I remembered it tasting. Allison ordered the chicken caesar salad... I am super good about taking pictures of my food during this TR - but not so good about photographing any one else's plates.

20160117_140352.jpg

20160117_140515.jpg

We really wanted to sit outside and eat - and we found a table in the corner... I can't remember what we didn't like about it? But I told Allison to stay put, and I would go investigate... I knew of a little spot.... Sure enough - pleanty of open tables with umbrellas next to the kiddie pool, which was uninhabited. Perfect!

As we were sitting there, I showed Allison the room Suzi, Bradey and I had in November... And she totally agreed that our room location for that trip was a prime location. ::yes::

20160117_141342.jpg

Once we were done eating, we headed out to the buses and waited about 10 min for a bus to MK.

From MK - we took a bus to the Poly, and then we did the walk to SoG...

We were in our room at 3:45 for a break... I set my phone alarm for 5:15, both Allison and I took a nap. You will find that this is a common ritual for us during this trip... We love our Disney naps. :lovestruc

We were out our door by 6:15.

20160117_182213.jpg

On a bus to the TTC at 6:30 - we found out at this time - the Shades of Green bus parking was literally the very first parking spot at the TTC... It was right there, and the perfect location... Hmmm.... :scratchin This got us to thinking... We didn't get it until the next day... but the wheels were turning - I promise you.

IMG_0582a.jpg

We boarded the monorail to Epcot. It was the Star Wars monorail!

20160117_184138.jpg

Again - we were hungry. Notice a theme here?

After a quick FB poll - it was decided that we would go to Sunshine seasons for dinner, then head to Norway for dessert (school bread)...

We walked up to SS at 7:05pm... They closed at 7pm. Huh??? Um - OK, now what?

Tess had commented that she loved the sandwiches in Norway - since we were going there anyways, we just decided to be easy and grab sandwiches there too.

We got the Norwegian Club and the Ham & Apple sandwich... They were already cut in half, so we each took half... I liked both of them, but Allison definitely liked the club better. We also each had our own school bread - they are too good to share. At this point, I had told Allison nothing about the school bread, so she had no idea the surprise it held. :lovestruc

20160117_192737.jpg

It was COLD... Like - I was frozen. We were sitting outside, and thankfully the table we'd grabbed was behind the church - so that building blocked the wind a little bit.

While we were sitting here, I received a text from Tess... Her and Charlie were on their way! Yay!!! :woohoo: I haven't seen Tess since our Dismeet weekend in Chicago in 2014 - I was so excited to see her again! Before long, Tess and Charlie joined us... We chatted there for ~um~ about an hour - maybe longer? I know, after a while, Charlie brought out coffee/hot chocolate for them, and I thought it looked crazy good (and warm) - so I sent Allison in to get some for us. Best idea ever! I can tell you - I would have been much more comfortable with another layer or two on.

It was getting close for Illuminations to start, so we decided to find a spot right outside of Norway... but the breeze was so cold coming off of the lake, and some kind people took a spot right in front of us - we thought it would be a good idea to try to find a spot closer to the main gate.

Then Allison needed a bio break - and I did too...

Once we came out - we looked at the spot and decided that since we really couldn't see much - our best plan of action would be to get the heck out of Epcot before Illuminations was over. So, we said our goodbyes to Tess and Charlie - planning to meet up again during our trip (unknown to any of us at this time, Tess and Charlie would go home early due to the blizzard - so we never got to see them again)...

We got out of Epcot just in time!

Took the monorail to the TTC... Bus to SoG... For future reference... The TTC SoG bus leaves the TTC on the 20s (so :20, :40, :00) - which means it leaves SoG on the 10s ( :10, :30, :50) - every 20 min - just like clockwork - they are a military resort - remember? We learned to love this and plan our transportation accordingly.

When I got back to the resort... I took the time to get my clothes ready for tomrrow... I updated my journal and I crawled into bed. As I was laying there... I started to hear loud "Ka-booms" and "Bangs" and "Pops" and "Fizzles"... It took me a minute to register... WISHES!!!!!!!!!!!! I grabbed my phone and I ran out to our balcony ~ freezing ~... Lookie there - we can see Wishes from our balcony!!!!!! Dreams do come true!!!!

20160117_221134.jpg

20160117_221145.jpg

20160117_221205.jpg

20160117_221148.jpg

20160117_221128.jpg

20160117_220857.jpg

This is a good time to note, had it been any other time of year - a person probably wouldn't be able to see Wishes from this room - as you can see, most of the fireworks were seen through the bare tree branches... So, if that tree would have had leaves on it - you wouldn't be able to see Wishes. But you might be able to see them from the room above us all year? Not sure? I didn't look to see how high that tree was.

Sweet dreams - I was in bed and sound asleep by 10:45.

Link to Day 3 Part 1

D~​

Last edited:

I'm so sorry to hear about Allison's fingernail. I know that was painful. On our Fantasy cruise in 2013, I had a little accident walking from the cruise ship to the ferry we were to get on to go to St. John. My big toe got jammed and the toenail came separated from the nail bed. I thought I was going to die! It hurt so dang bad! Blood was everywhere, I couldn't walk, I was embarrassed, etc. but it all worked out. Several nice people helped me and I made it on the ferry. Two years later that toenail still gives me troubles, but that's another story.

It looks like the two of you had a great day! It's good you left the ponchos in your room because the weather looked beautiful. Bummer about Sunshine Seasons. We eat there every trip.

Can't wait to read more...

I'm so glad I just stumbled on to your trip report. It's the end of day two so I haven't missed too much. :wave:

Yeah, Jim is a 21 year veteran, I'm pretty sure he qualifies to stay at SOG! LOL Charlie and I left Epcot right after you did, planning to watch Illuminations on Friday when we came back - that didn't work out so well, but it was so cold that evening!

I know where all the first aid stations are in each park. I had stomach problems for 4 days straight, and had to find them to get some pepto. Can't believe the cms didn't know where it was. That is totally unacceptable.

I told Charlie I wanted to go back in March with Shannon. He's a bit miffed that I want to go without him. Its not that I want to go without him, but he will be out of town in March and I also want to go to spring training. Can't wait until April for that! That trip is still up in the air, since we don't know what Shannon's work schedule will be yet.

Okay - I'm over here too! thanks for suggesting it, so much fun to read. But the fingernail trauma is just awful; very impressive that Allison bounced back so fast and enjoyed the day.

I can't believe the cm's didn't know where first aid was. And that they didn't care. I hope you wrote to Disney after letting them know.
I have been to the first aid at AK. Girls first trip, we had a crazy tram driver who slammed on the brakes DD1 banged her head in the seat in front of us. We went to first aid as soon as we entered the park. I remember they gave us a paper on what to look for if she had a concussion.

Rest of your day sounds great.

Allison is such a trooper! Can't even imagine the pain she must have been in. Your resort sounds like it was really nice. I'd love to have a bigger room. We seem to always be right on top of each other for the small amount we are actually in the room. I think my mom will be very jealous of your Wishes view!

As she was sitting down, her hand slipped and she ripped her entire pinky nail off of her right hand!
:earseek:

We kept asking the CMs (at least 2 different ones) where First Aid was - and not one of them could tell us. :(
:sad2:

As I was grabbing tissues, I asked her where First Aid was... Again - she could not tell me. :(
Please tell me she at least asked if you needed any further assistance or SOMETHING?!?!?!?!?

As we were walking - finally - a custodial CM (Ronald) saw the blood soaked tissues, and inquired if Allison was OK (the first and only CM to be concerned at all) - he then told us where First Aid was - after telling us that it was unacceptable that no one before him knew. I love Ronald - and he saved the day definitely.
pixiedust::yay:Yay for Ronald! You should so send an email to Guest relations about this incident. Not only to make them aware at the extreme lack of knowledge of critical information that their CMs seem to have but to also lift up the one CM who seemed to fix things. and was sure to seek you out later to be sure its fixed.

which, by the way, if you are wondering - is located on the other side of the bridge from Tusker House.
Good to know thanks! :thumbsup2

So back we trudged to EE to use our FPs which were about to expire... Still all smiles though...
What a trooper! Glad to hear things were alright with her finger!

I stopped to talk to him - he was very concerned about Allison asking "How is my Princess doing?
:thumbsup2pixiedust:

Lookie there - we can see Wishes from our balcony!!!!!! Dreams do come true!!!!
:lovestruc

You had some really great PP pictures taken. I love the one of you two looking at the tree.
Goodness, poor Allison. Bless her heart. She's had a rough month. Hasn't she? She really put a smile on her face and seemed to enjoy the rest of your day.
AKL looks incredible. I really want to check out that resort. Did you try the zebra domes! I hear they are amazing.
So bummed the weather was cold. I hope it warms up for you as your trip goes on. That view out your window is magical!pixiedust:

This KS ride was amazing!!! All of the animals were out and active - especially the giraffes, as you see in a minute... It was a glorious non-rainy morning! I am glad we left the ponchos behind.
I love the empty park. Your giraffe encounter sounds fun. I had a giraffe walk right up to me when sitting on the tram. Luckily, the CM noticed and pulled forward before the giraffe reached us.

t was a great breakfast - all of the characters came right away, so then we just ate in peace - that was so nice! Even with 2 people though - the CMs weren't always around to take pictures - so our last picture with Goofy ended up being a selfie... Glad I've honed my selfie skills. ::yes::
I love Tusker House for breakfast. The ham is a favorite. We were there in October with one set of grandkids and will be back there in June with the other kids. We will be there on a Sunday, too, so I am hoping the park will be deserted for us like it was for you.

Allison and I boarded the ride... As she was sitting down, her hand slipped and she ripped her entire pinky nail off of her right hand!
That sounds extremely painful. What an ordeal trying to get to first aid. I'm glad she was able to shake it off and resume her plans for the day. What a trooper. :)

We walked up to SS at 7:05pm... They closed at 7pm. Huh??? Um - OK, now what?

Tess had commented that she loved the sandwiches in Norway - since we were going there anyways, we just decided to be easy and grab sandwiches there too.
That is crazy to have Sunshine Seasons close at 7:05pm. We ate dinner there in January of last year at it was open past 7:30pm at least. At least the sandwiches were good.

It was COLD... Like - I was frozen.
The World Showcase can get really cold at night. I don't blame you for leaving early. I would, too.

I grabbed my phone and I ran out to our balcony ~ freezing ~... Lookie there - we can see Wishes from our balcony!!!!!! Dreams do come true!!!!
That is a nice bonus. The WL has a view of the Wishes fireworks like that, too.

Newbie jumping on board :) really enjoying your TR so far! Your safari pics are fantastic, but Allison's nail- yikes! I hope it didn't bother her too much later in the trip

I don't know if this ride would have been as much fun with anyone else! Love you both!
12540540_10207287960750769_9089859026378592071_n.jpg

Just tell me when and if I can make it work I will be there!!

Awesome! That would be fun!

Beautiful pictures! I love AK in the morning! We had a similar thing happen with the giraffes on our trip in 2004 (my magical trip, I call it)...one giraffe was so close, that if Andrew (my friends son) had not backed up, it would have licked him! I actually have a picture of this...his (Andrew's) face was so funny, because he was so not expecting that. I will have to dig that one out...it of course it is a printed picture...you know the old days before digital pictures, lol.

I especially like the one where your backs are to the camera (not that I don't love your smiling faces, it is just unusual and really good) :)

I did not have a chance to post about the travel/first day. Holy cow that was really early to have to get up to be at the airport! Glad everything went smoothly. Before ME, we would always take a town car and do a grocery stop. This was always an amusing adventure, because it was usually me, my son Chris, my friend Suzanne and her son Andrew. Me, Chris and Andrew each had a normal size piece of luggage. Suzanne on the other hand, had fully loaded down multiple pieces of luggage (before most of the luggage restrictions were in force, although there was a weight limit which she always brushed up against, and always had a "HEAVY" tag on hers)...we could not always fit the entire amount of luggage in the trunk. And then we added groceries! I was excited when Garden Grocer started! Your dinner at Captain Cooks looks wonderful! May have to see if we can work that one in! Wish we could do SOG...I have heard nothing but good things about it.

I can't wait to read more!

That is awesome! I love KS right in the morning- the animals are most active then.

I have a few like that - I originally got the idea from when Suzi and I did a picture similar in MK - Allison and I did a few like this during our trip - but this one is my favorite. :thumbsup2

Yes - that was a rough one... Our flights this time were just awful - I won't be flying at those times, with those layovers again. I am kind of glad there are luggage restrictions now - for that exact reason - LOL... Because that would be me. As it is - I don't wear half the stuff I bring.

SoG is a great resort - I highly recommend it to anyone who can stay there. I forgot how much we loved it!

Animal Kingdom first thing in the morning is my FAVORITE. We had such a great experience in July with the emptiness before our 8am breakfast at Tusker House.

Love, love, LOVE the photo with your backs to the camera facing the Tree of Life!!

So jealous of the up close and person giraffe experience. That's amazing!!

I agree - there is nothing better than AK in the morning - except for maybe MK, and it's a close one.

That is one of my favorites too!

Hehehehe... That was really cool - my camera doesn't even show how close they really were, they were walking in the road right next to us.

I only read your introduction post, so I have some catching up to do, but by the time I'm caught up I'll forget what I want to say. I think I've seen that picture of your sewing room a handful of times and I never noticed before how much I totally love your curtains! Gorgeous!

Thanks for reminding me that I haven't been here in ages and I'm missing out just sticking to Facebook. Looking forward to reading all about this super special trip.

Hi Jennifer!!! It's great to see you back on the Dis! I've missed you!

Thank you! I made those curtains myself - I just happened to make them one year, and I realized I'd made them on my birthday - so in a way, they were an unintentional birthday gift to myself... I think it was in 2011? :scratchin My sewing room is honestly my favorite room in the house... It's definitely "me".

Just got all caught up and officially following along! I love the idea of a one on one mother daughter trip and I sooo want to do that with my girls when they get a bit older! And my oldest son too since he is my adventurous food-buddy (can we say F&W?).

My husband didn't retire from the military, but he did do 6 years. I wonder if SoG is only for active and retired military? I'll have to look into that. I didn't realize that it was so close to Poly!

I also wanted to note that I love love love your donald and goofy ears! Did you make those? They are so creative and gorgeous!

Looking forward to reading more!

Welcome!!! This was really one of our best trips ever... It was so cool to have this one on one time with her. I highly recommend it! Hehehe - sounds like you'll have a few opportunities to take them individually?

If you have commissary privileges, then you are allowed to stay at SoG. At least, that is what I am told.

Thank you - my friend Jennifer made them for me, sadly - she is no longer in business. But thank you - I love them too, I always get soooo many compliments when I wear them - I wish I was talented enough to make some for myself.

Again - welcome! I love when people enjoy my TRs. :lovestruc

Great start to your trip! Your room at SOG looks awesome - roomy and a wonderful view. There's something I too love about a pool view. It really feels like "vacation". I was worried when I read about the pinky incident! But, it looks like after some initial drama you were able to go forward having a fun day.

It was amazing! I was just so happy with it the entire time... The size and view alone were enough to convert me totally. LOL YES!!!! Yay - someone that understands... LOL I just love seeing a pool out my window. :thumbsup2

Yes - the remainder of our day was pretty good.

I cannot believe that not one CM, besides Ronald! Glad to hear that the awful experience didn't end up ruining the rest of the day. As always, you guys have some great PhotoPass pics!

Yes - I was just so disappointed... As a mom, even though the injury wasn't serious, if your child is in pain - this whole adrenaline thing kicks in - and I just became a frantic hot mess.... I am so glad Cindy was there right at that moment, because she was able to keep her cool and refocus me.

Thanks - I love doing our photopass pictures... You all should see the ones I don't post... Trust me when I say - we have to take lots to get a few great ones. ::yes::

I can't believe I got so far behind. It wasn't showing up in my watched thread list. Anyway, now I am caught up.

Loved the SoG rooms. Looks very roomy and with a sofa.

Shameful that the CMs did not know where the First Aid was. Yay for CM Ronald. Allison really had a rough week (wisdom teeth and pinky). Hopefully, she ran out of all her bad luck and she got to enjoy the rest of her vacation.

When we went to Universal from Disney on two days, I decided I wanted to try 2 different modes of transportation. The shuttle and the town car. The shuttle picked up 2-3 more families after us. We were jammed packed in that van. There was a large bus that took you back. We seemed to stop at every hotel in town before we even made it back onto Disney soil. It was ok for the price. The next day, was the town car. So much nicer, just us. Go straight there and back. If I wasn't trying to save as much as I can on these trips, I would probably do a town car to and from the airport also.

THanks! We were so happy with our room/location/view - it couldn't have been any better.

I know - I was so disappointed in Disney... I will be sending an email to them about this incident and highlighting CM Ronald.... He definitely saved the day.

Yah - the town car is a bit expensive, but in this case - it was worth it, IMO. I just chalked it up to having a great deal on my room rate, I could splurge and get a town car... However, for me, there really isn't any other alternative - since I don't drive down there.

I need to post my trip budget at the end - I was pretty proud of myself on this trip - I came in at $9 under food budget - which is pretty darn close. LOL

Your poor daughter! Hope her hand is doing ok now.
I'd write Disney about your experience. Being able to direct a guest to first aid seems like something all CM should have to know how to do.

She is much better now - but it took a few days and some minor parking lot surgery to get to that point... But I'll talk about that later in the TR.

I will be sending an email to Disney about this - I feel like some sort of training needs to happen here.

Okay, I am here and caught up and ready to participate as I should.

I am so glad that we finally got to meet! My girls must have been on their best behavior if you thought they were well mannered Over the past few months the sibling rivalry and bickering has really kicked up a few levels and it is driving me nuts. I hope someday our paths will cross again and maybe we'll get to spend some time together.

I need SOG advice, we are either going to stay there or POFQ for our family trip in November (4 of us plus my parents) - 2 rooms at either resort. We've stayed at SOG before, but never for a longer trip. My concerns are food and transportation - we've always walked to Poly and used their transportation and food before but I'm not sure that walk will be a viable option for my mom every day this trip given her health. I'll be paying close attention to your transportation experiences.

Awesome!!!

Me too - I know we came close once and it didn't work out... I was so happy that we were able to make it work this time. Made my day - I love meeting my Dis friends - even if it's a quick meet.

The girls were great - I thought they were so fun and so cute... And to be honest - I thought it was so funny when your little one (Charlotte?) was checking out my bag. LOL They were adorable and asked great questions.

I hope we are able to spend more time together next time.

Well... I will be talking a LOT about transportation - but not much about SoG food... To be honest - we never really ate at SoG, except for the Java Cafe (Starbucks) - we were in the parks for all other meals - or we brought food back to the room with us. However - right now Evergreens is closed for a HUGE refurb, and I am praying like crazy that they are going to reopen it to be the full restaurant that it used to be - we loved eating there, and took advantage of it often... If that's the case - then I will be a truly happy person.

OH MY GOSH!! I could not read the entire nail post. Whew! Bless her heart! I cannot imagine!! Glad she was able to laugh and smile about it later!

Just wanted to add -- I lurk more than post, but you are like the Incredible Shrinking Lady! You look amazing!

Yah - I had issues too, because the nurse made ME bandage her up - and I do NOT have the stomach for that sort of thing... Yes - it didn't take long for her to shake it off - but we still had issues with it for a lot of the trip.

Awww... Thanks! I really haven't shrunk much in the last 18 months - despite my best efforts... (something I really struggle with), but I work hard and at least I am maintaining my loss... Some day - maybe - I hope - I'll get to my ultimate goal. :lovestruc But thank you - that means a lot to me - it really does. :hug:

Enjoying your TR. Glad your daughter was ok. Looking forward to the rest of your TR.

Thank you! Glad you are enjoying it - I love sharing our trips here!

Oh I know that must have HURT! I get gel nails once in awhile, but I really don't like acrylics because of this! Yikes!

Glad Ronald could help, and I can't believe so many CM's didn't know where 1st Aid was--unacceptable!

I'm dying to try this, and don't know how I managed to not do it on my last trip. I'm making a snack list for our next trip, just so I can try some of the snacks I read about here on the DIS!

I'm looking forward to hear more information on your use of SoG transportation during your trip!

Yes - she was in a lot of pain - she doesn't often cry - but she was crying here... I am not sure if it was from the pain or more of the frustration that the CMs kept trying to buckle her in... but she was pretty upset.

Yes - Ronald was great, I wish I would have gotten a photo with him - but I didn't.

Yes - you must try the jalepeno pretzel... It's one of our favorites - I would have had one to myself, but I knew we were leaving the park right then to go have lunch - so I just had a few bites of Allison's.

Our transportation gets pretty interesting starting on the next day I post about... Something critical finally clicked for us - and I cannot wait to share it! One of those "aha" moments for sure!

Awesome pictures of the giraffes! They must have just let them out onto the Savannah when you arrived.

Yum Mickey Waffles! Can't wait to have some of those in a few days.

Sorry that happened to Allison. Wish I had been with you. For some odd reason (maybe because I'm an overplanner) I know where the first aid station is in all of the parks. Never had to use one, knock on wood, but I know where they are!

I am pretty sure that's what happened - they were all so cute, there was even a baby in there.

Yes - my favorite!!!!

Yah - it would have been nice to know... Now I know where all of them are, except for Epcot - we had to use DHS back in 2012... And this trip, we had to use AK and MK... So, now I know for future reference. :thumbsup2

I sure hope your trip is great! Have fun!

Ouch!!!! Poor Allison! And you're right -- it's completely unacceptable that no one knew where First Aid was or acted like they cared that she was hurt (except that one sweet CM --- what a nice guy!). It looks like a fun day, even with the injury.

Yah - I was so disappointed in the CMs on this day... And it takes a LOT for me to be disappointed in them, as I know they have a lot to manage and be aware of. Not to mention, cranky guests...

We did have a great day, despite the injury.

Great picture of you two!!! I see that you both have jackets on, was it that cold that you needed one everyday?
SO many giraffes!! They are my favorite!!!

Tusker House sounded like fun, the characters always look so cute in their safari gear. You and Allison also got in many rides that morning, sounded successful!!!
Gosh I am so sorry about what happened to Allison though. That poor girl, with all she has been going through...
Thank goodness for ronald though, he sounded like he saved the day!

Yes - sadly - bringing my jean jacket was the best decision ever - you'll see in all my pictures, I had to wear it every single day... It was very cold in FL and only got colder as the days went on. It was kind of a bummer.

I know - me too!!! I love the giraffes!

It's a lot of fun eating there, I think this is one of our best experiences - only because all the characters came to our table right away - so we didn't have to worry about missing them every time we went up to get food. Otherwise - we did have a great morning, and despite Allison's injury - we were able to continue on with our day and accomplish a lot.

Yes - Ronald definitely saved the day!

I'm so sorry to hear about Allison's fingernail. I know that was painful. On our Fantasy cruise in 2013, I had a little accident walking from the cruise ship to the ferry we were to get on to go to St. John. My big toe got jammed and the toenail came separated from the nail bed. I thought I was going to die! It hurt so dang bad! Blood was everywhere, I couldn't walk, I was embarrassed, etc. but it all worked out. Several nice people helped me and I made it on the ferry. Two years later that toenail still gives me troubles, but that's another story.

It looks like the two of you had a great day! It's good you left the ponchos in your room because the weather looked beautiful. Bummer about Sunshine Seasons. We eat there every trip.

Can't wait to read more...

Yikes - that sounds super painful too!!! It's bad enough to have it happen to a finger - but feet are SUPER important on a trip, so I cannot imagine how that must have hurt and affected your entire remaining trip. I am glad you were able to make it through and hopefully the rest of your trip went OK... It still bothers you? That's terrible!

We did have a great day - leaving the ponchos was a risky move, but one I am glad about - the weather was a little bit chilly this day - but otherwise nice.

I am excited to share it - if you can't tell, I can't stop doing updates... :eek: I am going to start losing readers soon, because they can't keep up with me.

I'm so glad I just stumbled on to your trip report. It's the end of day two so I haven't missed too much.

Welcome!!! I am so happy you found it! Nope - you haven't missed much at all... Besides - no one is ever late to any of my TRs. :hug: Welcome! :lovestruc

Yeah, Jim is a 21 year veteran, I'm pretty sure he qualifies to stay at SOG! LOL Charlie and I left Epcot right after you did, planning to watch Illuminations on Friday when we came back - that didn't work out so well, but it was so cold that evening!

I know where all the first aid stations are in each park. I had stomach problems for 4 days straight, and had to find them to get some pepto. Can't believe the cms didn't know where it was. That is totally unacceptable.

I told Charlie I wanted to go back in March with Shannon. He's a bit miffed that I want to go without him. Its not that I want to go without him, but he will be out of town in March and I also want to go to spring training. Can't wait until April for that! That trip is still up in the air, since we don't know what Shannon's work schedule will be yet.

Yup - he should have no problems staying at SoG... IF you get the opportunity to stay there with him (he can sponsor up to 3 rooms) - I would try it out - it's a great resort!

I am glad to hear that you left right after us - I felt bad that we left so quickly, but since we couldn't see much - I didn't think it was worth fighting those crowds. If we would have been able to see better - I would have definitely stayed, because that was on my must-do list.

Awww... Charlie loves Disney too! :lovestruc I am jealous... I wish Josh loved Disney... I hope you get to go in March - that would be a lot of fun for you!

Okay - I'm over here too! thanks for suggesting it, so much fun to read. But the fingernail trauma is just awful; very impressive that Allison bounced back so fast and enjoyed the day.

Welcome!!! I am glad you are here and enjoying it! I love sharing my trips here on The Dis! :woohoo:

Yah - that was no fun, for sure.... She did good shaking it off - but we did have some issues with it later in the week - which I will tell about then... Not bad - but just trying to reduce her pain a bit. :thumbsup2

I can't believe the cm's didn't know where first aid was. And that they didn't care. I hope you wrote to Disney after letting them know.
I have been to the first aid at AK. Girls first trip, we had a crazy tram driver who slammed on the brakes DD1 banged her head in the seat in front of us. We went to first aid as soon as we entered the park. I remember they gave us a paper on what to look for if she had a concussion.

Rest of your day sounds great.

I know - I was so shocked and disappointed! I will be writing Disney - but I have not done that yet.

Owww... That sounds so painful... I hope she was OK?

Yes - the rest of our day was pretty great!

Allison is such a trooper! Can't even imagine the pain she must have been in. Your resort sounds like it was really nice. I'd love to have a bigger room. We seem to always be right on top of each other for the small amount we are actually in the room. I think my mom will be very jealous of your Wishes view!

Yah - she did a good bounce back here, for sure. We did continue to have issues with it during our trip - but I'll get to that later.

Our room and resort was wonderful - I am still so excited about it! The bigger room was nice - it would have been wonderful to have a bigger vanity too, but maybe next time... I know there are certain rooms that have this bathroom set-up, and I think it's all the original 1973 rooms? So, I think, if we wanted that particular pool view - we'd have to keep the same bathroom configuration?

The Wishes view was definitely icing on the cake! :woohoo:

Please tell me she at least asked if you needed any further assistance or SOMETHING?!?!?!?!?

for Ronald! You should so send an email to Guest relations about this incident. Not only to make them aware at the extreme lack of knowledge of critical information that their CMs seem to have but to also lift up the one CM who seemed to fix things. and was sure to seek you out later to be sure its fixed.

Good to know thanks!

What a trooper! Glad to hear things were alright with her finger!

No! Seriously - I thought, for sure, when I asked her if she had anything to clean up blood - she would have been like "is there anything I can do to help?" Or something... But no... She handed me the tissue box, I asked her if she knew where first aid was - she gave me the "deer in the headlights" look - so I just left, muttering that I would find it myself. LOL I was not a happy guest at that point.

I have every intention of sending an email to guest services - both to make them aware of a training opportunity and also to give extra credit to Ronald.

Yes - we did have a few issues with it as the days went on... but for the most part - she was a trooper for sure!

You had some really great PP pictures taken. I love the one of you two looking at the tree.
Goodness, poor Allison. Bless her heart. She's had a rough month. Hasn't she? She really put a smile on her face and seemed to enjoy the rest of your day.
AKL looks incredible. I really want to check out that resort. Did you try the zebra domes! I hear they are amazing.
So bummed the weather was cold. I hope it warms up for you as your trip goes on. That view out your window is magical!pixiedust:

Thanks! I think we got a lot of great ones this trip - especially considering we only had 4 park days.

Yes - it hasn't been an easy month for her - hopefully her life settles down a little bit. But she was a trooper and really pushed on... Had this happened later in our trip - I think she would have just given up. LOL

AKL is a gorgeous resort - I am so happy that I was able to stay there once in my life. I did not try the zebra domes - I tried them a few years ago when we ate at Boma - and I didn't like them - so I didn't feel the need to try them again. You can purchase them in a pkg of 4 at Mara though - which is cool, so you don't have to pay for a sit down meal just to try them. ::yes::

Yes - it was cold - I was pretty disappointed in my ability to tolerate FL cold while we were down there - it's definitely different than MN cold...

I love the empty park. Your giraffe encounter sounds fun. I had a giraffe walk right up to me when sitting on the tram. Luckily, the CM noticed and pulled forward before the giraffe reached us.

I love Tusker House for breakfast. The ham is a favorite. We were there in October with one set of grandkids and will be back there in June with the other kids. We will be there on a Sunday, too, so I am hoping the park will be deserted for us like it was for you.

That sounds extremely painful. What an ordeal trying to get to first aid. I'm glad she was able to shake it off and resume her plans for the day. What a trooper.

That is crazy to have Sunshine Seasons close at 7:05pm. We ate dinner there in January of last year at it was open past 7:30pm at least. At least the sandwiches were good.

The World Showcase can get really cold at night. I don't blame you for leaving early. I would, too.

That is a nice bonus. The WL has a view of the Wishes fireworks like that, too.

Yes - I love the emptiness of AK right away in the morning - it's such a beautiful park!

I love the ham too - I just hate that I have to beg for more than a bite when they are cutting it - I always feel like such a pig... but I love my protein. LOL I sure hope you get a deserted park too... It did get really busy later in the day - I think the rain that morning scared people away for a while, but once they realized it was a gorgeous day - they came out in droves. ::yes::

Yah - I am pretty proud of her for being able to shake it off and continue on... It was quite painful. We did have issues with it during the following days, which I will talk about later in the TR.

I know - we were so disappointed, it's like they saw us coming and started closing up shop. LOL

Yah - I was surprised at how cold it was... Well, surprised - in general - at how cold FL can be. LOL I remember you telling me to bring a warm coat before I left - and I kind of thought - "nah, I am from MN - I can handle it" - but nope - I froze my bum off the entire time. Next time, I will listen to Sue - I told myself. LOL

Oooh - I bet WL does have a nice view of Wishes - I never thought of that!

Newbie jumping on board really enjoying your TR so far! Your safari pics are fantastic, but Allison's nail- yikes! I hope it didn't bother her too much later in the trip

Welcome!!!! I am glad you are here and enjoying it so far! Thanks - the safari is always so fun in the morning - the animals are always so active.

Yah - we had some issues with it in the coming days - which I will talk about... but overall - Allison was a real trooper.

Again - welcome - super happy to have you here! :lovestruc

I don't know if this ride would have been as much fun with anyone else! Love you both!
12540540_10207287960750769_9089859026378592071_n.jpg

Hi Cindy!!!! I miss you! Hehehe.... I don't think we would have had as much fun with out you either. :lovestruc

****************************************************************************************************

I know, I know - I am doing lots of updates... My apologies... I am just super excited to share this trip with you all! It was a great trip!

After this week - I get really busy again, so my updates will slow down... So, until then - I will be updating as I can. :lovestruc

D~

Day 3 Part 1

Monday, January 18, 2016

Today is one of our days off from the parks...

Miraculously, I slept in until 6:45...

I did my morning ritual of coffee/FB/Dis...

I showered and woke Allison at 7:45. Most mornings, I tried to shower before I woke her up - because of the bathroom configuration - we couldn't both be in there at the same time.

We were out the door at 9:15.

20160118_092541.jpg

We stopped at the Java Cafe to grab my Americano and Allison's Frapp... She is still nursing her wisdom teeth at this point - so she is having to order everything with a spoon, vs a straw, although - this picture shows a straw - so maybe this is her first morning of straw drinking?

We stopped at Bell Services to order the Shady Shuttle (yes - that is actually what it's called - Allison and I found this very humorous... It's a golf cart that SoG uses to take guests to the end of their property - we always tip the drivers).

We walked to the Poly from there.

Took the monorail to the Contemporary.

Our breakfast this morning was at The Wave - the restaurant, I was hoping would become Allison's new favorite too...

20160118_100050.jpg

Allison was a little skeptical, it took the waitress a LONG time to acknowledge our existence... but once we were able to place our drink order and get up to the buffet, life was good - very, very good. And The Wave did NOT disappoint! Everything was just as delicious as I remembered it! :woohoo:

My first plate... Sweet potato pancakes with the pecan honey butter on top, eggs Benedict, grits, hash browns and Mickey waffles... All of which - YUM!

20160118_101214.jpg

Allison's first plate... She loved the pancakes and the eggs Benedict.

20160118_101231.jpg

My second plate... Mmmmm....

20160118_103309.jpg

At the end of the meal, I asked Allison - if given a choice between Tusker House or The Wave, which she would choose? And hands down - The Wave would win... So, there you have it folks - the new breakfast must-do is The Wave! :woohoo:

We settled our bill and headed outside to do something that Allison was very excited about... But first I wanted a picture... This turned out to be one of my favorites of the trip.

20160118_105622_HDR.jpg

We hopped a boat to Fort Wilderness - but we did not intend to get off here... In hindsight - we probably should have, but it was cold on the boat, and I dunno - we just didin't get off...

20160118_110238.jpg

20160118_111657.jpg

One of the things that Allison was really excited about was seeing River Country... Just like I am - she is fascinated with old/abandoned amusement parks - and even though a person cannot see much from the boat, she was still so excited to see whatever she could.

20160118_111819.jpg

20160118_111834.jpg

From here, we stayed on the boat and headed towards Wilderness Lodge... We have never been here - but I've always wanted to see it and check it out a bit... We wandered and took a bunch of pictures...

During this time, I was texting Monica... I've wanted to meet "The Teddy Bear Lady" who is often at the Grand Floridian... Monica often sits with her to visit - So, she offered to let me go with to meet her. So, we were trying to figure out where/when to meet... It was decided that I would text her when we boarded the boat back to CR, and we would meet at the GF.

20160118_112328.jpg

20160118_112408.jpg

20160118_112455.jpg

20160118_112503.jpg

20160118_112536.jpg

20160118_112553_HDR.jpg

20160118_112600.jpg

20160118_112621.jpg

20160118_112716.jpg

20160118_113854.jpg

20160118_113907.jpg

20160118_113921_HDR.jpg

20160118_114113.jpg

20160118_114145.jpg

20160118_114344.jpg

Once we were done exploring WL, we hopped a boat back to CR, and I texted Monica that we were on our way.

Link to Day 3 Part 2

D~​

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter