• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~~ Sew your Disney side Alli-son-son!! ~~ Allison's grad trip Jan 2016 ~~ Complete 2/22

Poor Allison!! That must have been horrible. Ouch!! She's a trooper. Getting right back onto the rides! Looks like you had a wonderful time at AK. Looking forward to the next post!

Your flights really make me thankful we have a few different directs right to MCO from here!
Shades of Green looks like a beautiful resort! My cousins husband is active military, I told her she will have to come with us one of these times to Disney and we can all stay there. It really is some prime real estate for a great price compared to the deluxes all around it.::yes::
Poor Allison!! That girl just can not catch a break lately! I hope her pinky didn't bother her too much the rest of the trip. I know how painful ripping your nail off can be!:headache: She seems like a trooper, not letting it rain on her parade :thumbsup2
Im looking forward to some more updates! :goodvibes

You did an update while I was writing my reply lol
You really are selling me on The Wave. I've never eaten there but that food looks delicious!
That abandoned area looks so cool I'll definitely have to take DH by it next trip!
Wilderness Lodge is still on my to do list one of these trips. It's the only deluxe we haven't had the chance to really check out. It looks quite spectacular. I feel like it would make me feel like I'm waking up in Alaska everyday... If Alaska was ever hot and humid :rotfl2:

Love your Steamboat Willie outfit! I also have a "thing" for River Country. We started taking our boys to Disney in 1988 and stayed in Ft. Wilderness cabins a couple times. We took them to River Country while staying there - it was a great little water park! I don't get why it was closed? Maybe when they opened Typhoon Lagoon and BB. You could also take a boat to the island across the way. I don't remember what it was called (Discovery Island?) but you could walk trails and look at the birds and other wildlife. I always get nostalgic when we are going by those areas - great memories!

I'm glad you had such a great time despite it being a little cold. That was usually our week to go until our grandson started high school, now we go during spring break. I would have been disappointed if it was cold the whole week. We usually had 1 or 2 cooler days. One year it had been cold for 3 weeks and people were buying winter coats down there, but it warmed up the week we got there. I just wanted to say I love your hair a little longer. It looks great!

So, I am really going to have to dig through old photos this weekend. I have some pictures of my second trip ever to WDW...I think it was in 1987. We have some from our visit to River Country. :) Great pics again! And oh heck, now I have even more places to try to eat at! But the Wave looks yummy! I love the feel of Wilderness Lodge. You all need to try Whispering Canyon Café!

And to answer the question about why it closed...it used lake water for everything, and because of the water bacteria found in lakes in the area (and other fresh water lakes?), they don't allow swimming in them.

I'm glad to know other people have the same River Country obsession that I do. I've always wanted to sneak in but I don't want to get caught and be banned from Disney property forever. I love watching the YouTube videos from people who have dared to sneak in though.

The Wave became a family must do for us too! The sweet potato pancakes or amazing!!!!

Every time I see your Steamboat Wille bag I'm reminded how pretty it is! I just LOVE the fabric you used for it.

Sounds like you had a good first day at Disney. I'm so sorry to hear that the start of Day 2 wasn't good with the accident on EE and all the CM not knowing where first aid was.
It looks like you had a good end to day 2. And a good start on day 3. I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Day 3 Part 2

We hopped off of the boat at the Contemporary - I wanted a picture in front of this topiary...

20160118_115447.jpg

Then we took the escalator route up to the monorail - for those of you who have never done this - it's a little confusing - but I am telling you now, this came into major play later in the day!

We got off of the monorail at the Grand Floridian, Monica was waiting there for us. We stood there for a long time, just chatting and enjoying the view we had... I can't believe that I don't have one single picture of this? What is wrong with me? Well, just imagine lovely photos standing on the 2nd floor looking down into all the beautiful-ness that is the Grand Floridian lobby. M'kay?

We visited with The Teddy Bear Lady for quite some time - probably a good hour? Along with other guests that stop by. Her story is such and endearing story - and one I just love... It was nice to finally meet her.

However - Allison and I did have other things to do on our day off... Monica offered to drive us over to Boardwalk...

So, we walked from GF to the Poly to grab Monica's car... Enjoying the scenery... I just love how WHITE and glittery it all is!

20160118_132505.jpg

20160118_132509.jpg

20160118_132516.jpg

It was on this lovely walk, that Monica and I managed to plan Allison's entire wedding! Can you believe that? Some of the features... Well, she will get married here:

20160118_132904.jpg

For the record - Monica is Allison's new Fairy God Mother. :lovestruc

Since there wasn't a wedding going on - we were allowed to look in on the chapel - it's gorgeous!

20160118_133016.jpg

20160118_133019.jpg

20160118_133027.jpg

20160118_133045_HDR.jpg

20160118_133436.jpg

20160118_133605.jpg

20160118_133944.jpg

Again - we hopped into a car, and Monica gave us a ride to the Boardwalk... I was very thankful for the ride - it made transportation easy for this adventure... Just wait until later in the day for the return trip... I think that's the most epic story ever. :thumbsup2

Link to Day 3 Part 3

D~​

Last edited:
Subbing in!! Your bags and head bands are awesome!!

Your poor daughter! I know how much that must have hurt her finger, I've done the same thing.

Loving your TR so far, can't wait to read more!

The wedding chapel is gorgeous! I've never eaten at the Wave, but I've now added it to my list of places to try. I've never heard of the Teddy Bear Lady - do tell!!

Loved this update!
We are staying at CR for the first time in May, and I've been thinking about booking breakfast at The Wave. Your food pictures look yummy!
Love the wedding pavilion pics and the dream planning.
Can't wait to hear about the Boardwalk. It's pretty much my favorite resort. :lovestruc

Yes - sadly - bringing my jean jacket was the best decision ever - you'll see in all my pictures, I had to wear it every single day... It was very cold in FL and only got colder as the days went on. It was kind of a bummer.
Gotcha. I have been to WDW once during January and at night especially it got chilly. At least there's no snow there!
We stopped at Bell Services to order the Shady Shuttle (yes - that is actually what it's called - Allison and I found this very humorous... It's a golf cart that SoG uses to take guests to the end of their property - we always tip the drivers).
That is so cool! A nice touch.
My first plate... Sweet potato pancakes with the pecan honey butter on top, eggs Benedict, grits, hash browns and Mickey waffles... All of which - YUM!
Oh my gosh all that food looks delicious. Just as good as your November trip!
We settled our bill and headed outside to do something that Allison was very excited about... But first I wanted a picture... This turned out to be one of my favorites of the trip.

20160118_105622_HDR.jpg
Adorable :lovestruc
One of the things that Allison was really excited about was seeing River Country... Just like I am - she is fascinated with old/abandoned amusement parks - and even though a person cannot see much from the boat, she was still so excited to see whatever she could.

20160118_111819.jpg
Wow! What a cool idea to do n your off day! I had no idea you could see that much of it on the boat ride to FortW.
I think the place is kind of psooky...in a cool kind of way. I wasn't even born when it closed but I have read a lot about it, and it just amazes me after all these years that Disney kept it there abandoned..
I wonder if they will ever put anything there!
Since there wasn't a wedding going on - we were allowed to look in on the chapel - it's gorgeous!

20160118_133016.jpg
Oh gosh I got to do that a couple years ago! It as so magical. Wow to get married there would be a dream...:lovestruc

OMG that nail post had me shuddering. So glad that she was able to get right back into the saddle again. I think I would have been traumatized.

That curry pasta at AKL is TO DIE FOR!!!! Can't wait to get back there to have some. I've tried to duplicate it at home but it just isn't the same. :(

I'm so sorry for Allison and her poor finger. I'm glad you guys had fun showing pinkies in a majority of the PP photos. I'm impressed ---- Allison's makeup is still on point even AFTER crying!! She should do makeup tutorials on You Tube!! I'd be a fan! :hippie:

Great room! SOG looks awesome-especially for the price. So glad you enjoyed it so much-I'm sure you'll be happy to stay there again.

Great safari ride! So many active animals and how cool to be so close to the giraffes. I've always had my best rides during or just after a rain.

Yikes about Allison's nail. I really can't believe any CM would not know where first aid is at a park.

I put the Wave on my list for my June trip! Your photos of the Grand Floridian are getting me excited about staying there for the 1st time!

Breakfast at The Wave looks really good. We might have to give it a try sometime. Where at the CR is that Mickey head where you and Allison were sitting? That looks like a great photo op. I have very fond memories of River Country. We were able to get some pictures on the boat ride, too, on our last trip. It's so sad what it has become. I've heard of the teddy bear lady before, but I've never seen her. There was actually a pretty lengthy thread about her on the DIS awhile ago. You could probably find it if you searched for it.

I wanted to clarify about my toe (and the toenail that become detached from the nailbed). My toe is perfectly fine, but my toenail is gross. It has taken forever for the nail to grow back correctly and what has grown back is lumpy and bumpy. It's just gross. :crazy2:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter