Settle a family arguement

msd1776

Mouseketeer
If the icon for MK is the castle,
If the icon for EPCOT is the ball,
If the icon for AK is the tree of life,
What is the icon for HS?

It WAS the theater that houses the Movie Ride, but due to some issues with the actual theater, the hat was placed in front and became the new "weenie." I prefer the theater personally, that was the Disney-MGM Studios of my childhood. :)

If you look at most merchandise with the four parks on them it is either the hat or the earful tower I have never seen the theater on merchandise. But lately the newest merchandise has only shown the earful tower no hat so at this time I would say its the earful tower plus that's been around way longer than the hat.

I guess when you say icon, I am thinking of the "weenie". The one item that immediately draws your eye as you enter the park (castle, spaceship earth, tree of life, etc), and at one time the theater did that. I do however agree the Earful Tower is iconic also, just wish it it was not in the back of the park.

It is officially now the hat, due to some issues when Mann bout Grumman's Chinese Theater. Now that they have been bought yet again, I would love to see Disney renegotiate with them to all them to remove the hat and have the the theater it.

It is officially now the hat, due to some issues when Mann bout Grumman's Chinese Theater. Now that they have been bought yet again, I would love to see Disney renegotiate with them to all them to remove the hat and have the the theater it.

I am fairly certain it's never been the theatre. It was the earful tower before the hat.

Officially at this time, the icon for DHS is Mickey's Sorcerer's Apprentice Hat. If you go to Disney's website and look at the overview map of the property you can see each park's icon representing it on the map. The hat is representing DHS.

Now, I have heard that there are talks on making the "Earful Tower" the official DHS icon, but there's no indication of if or when that would happen.

It used to be the Earful Tower (the water tower with Mouse ears), but it is now the Sorcerer's Hat.

I have a lot of "4 parks" merchandise... it was definitely the Earful Tower first, then switched to the Sorceror Hat when it was dropped on park.

Okay, the castle, the hat and the tree are in the center of their respective parks, the ball is at the front of its park. The tower is at the back, off to one side. Not the best space for a park icon - unless they redo that section. People like to have their photo with the icon.

Just my two cents.

The Earful Tower was the original icon for the Studios. Not sure if the Sorcerer Hat is now the official icon or not. I guess it doesn't surprise me that the icon keeps changing.... after all, the entire NAME of this park keeps changing!

I found this (http://www.onlywdworld.com/2010/02/earful-tower-disney-worlds-forgotten.html) :

The Earful Tower, once the proud icon that represented Disney-MGM Studios when they opened in 1989, has been relegated to mere afterthought status, being briefly mentioned on the Studio Backlot Tour.

The original idea for the water tower icon came from the water towers that were commonly found on Hollywood Studio backlots, in order to be able to quickly extinguish any fires that may develop. The original Disney Studios in Burbank, CA has a water tower of its own, but without the fanciful mouse ears.

The artfully designed Earful Tower was constructed by Caldwell Tanks in Louisville, KY and actually won the Tank of the Year award in 1987 from the Steel Plate Fabricators Association.

At 130 feet tall it was designed to be seen from World Drive so that guests knew that they were approaching Disney-MGM Studios theme park. With ears that weigh 2.5 tons, the tank is an equivilent hat size of 342 3/8 (from The Walt Disney World Trivia Book Vol. 2 by Lou Mongello).

Did you know that although it looks like a real water tower, no water actually resides inside?

Replaced By Sorcerer Mickey's Hat
On September 28th, 2001, the new icon of Disney's Hollywood Studios debuted. It was a giant version of the hat that Mickey Mouse wore during Fantasia as he portrayed the Sorcerer's Apprentice. The replacement coincided with the celebration of 100 Years Of Magic - A tribute to the 100th anniversary of the birth of Walt Disney.

The new iconic landmark gave guests something that the didn't have with the Earful Tower, the ability to easily take your picture with the park icon in the background. It also had a much more centralized location in the park, thus cementing its place as the new icon.

Replaced. But Not Forgotten
The Earful Tower still stands today even though it has lost its title of park icon over 9 years ago. It has held up well despite its demotion in status and is still easily recognized as you approach Disney's Hollywood Studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter