• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

See what a little Wishin' can do? A very ENGAGING January 2015 trip! *COMPLETED 10/9*

More Animal Kingdom fun!

After refueling at Yak & Yeti we headed to see one of my favorite Disney shows...

IMG_5410.JPG

FOTLK! We both loved this show. Joe later said it was one of his favorite things we did all trip. It really is such a well done show and will absolutely be a must do in all future trips! I was nervous we wouldn't make this show and if we didn't we would kind of lose our only chance at seeing it (hardcore touring plan wouldn't allow it...I'm sure you all understand:rotfl2:). We got in line at 12:50 for the 1pm show and not only made it in but there were plenty of seats available even once the show started. Another point for Disney in January!

After FOTLK we took a trip into the Pangani Forest Trail where we hung out with this guy for a bit
DSC08575.JPG

We headed into It's Tough to be a Bug next. This show always freaks me out and I never forget to move away from my seat toward the end...
I told Joe before we went in to be prepared to hear children screaming for their lives for the duration of the show.
And I was not wrong:rotfl: There was one little girl who just could not handle this show and to be honest? I kind of understand. It's pretty scary for little kids...and maybe even some 28 year olds.

DSC08577.JPG
Joe preparing for a solid ten minutes of screaming children.

By this point it was 2:30 and we headed to Finding Nemo-The Musical. Neither of us are huge Finding Nemo fans-I'm not even sure that Joe's seen it in its entirety. I definitely like it, it's just not up there as one of my absolute favs.

I really enjoyed the show though! It was extremely well done. I had seen it before but I enjoyed it a lot this time. I'm not sure that we'll do it every trip but I was glad we saw it. It was a nice break too - the show is pretty long.

IMG_5417.JPG IMG_5426.JPG

There are just so many neat effects they use in this show.

At 4pm we decided (okay, my touring plan told me) it was a good time to get one of my favorite snacks in all of Disney...

DSC08580.JPG
A jalapeno cheese pretzel! Ah...just pure Disney heaven. I sure could use one right now. We got this beauty from the Harambe Fruit Market and sat on a bench enjoying the atmosphere and snacking away.

Up next was the Maharajah Jungle Trek where we saw one of our favorite mascots!

DSC08581.JPG

(GO TIGERS!...26 days 'til opening day!!!)

DSC08589.JPG

At this point we both realized the importance of hydrating in Disney. We were kind of feeling a little sluggish and both downed a ton of water and immediately felt better. From this day forward we would bring the Camelbak water bottle and refill it multiple times throughout the day. I really think it helped with the exhaustion and sluggish feeling that can sometimes come from walking 10+ miles in the parks!

We walked over to Everest and had one last ride. We got in line at 4:40 and we were on in three minutes - the SB wait said 20 minutes. Unfortunately I can't include the picture because the lovely girl sitting in front of us decided to throw up a couple of her fingers...:headache: The photo people must not have caught it because it is clear as day in the picture. At least she gets to show her friends how cool she was a Disney World...:rolleyes2

We headed toward the exit around 5 and were in line for the bus by 5:05. We weren't headed back to Pop though...

'Til next time Animal Kingdom!!!
PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneys_Animal_Kingdom_Park_7149008811.jpg IMG_5437.JPG

Last edited:
A Food Coma at Boma

We were at the bus stop after an amazing first full day at AK and heading to...Animal Kingdom Lodge! For a much needed sit down meal at one of my favorite restaurants - BOMA! I was very excited for this meal and also to show Joe AKL for the first time!

Our reservations were for 6pm but we ended up arriving pretty early (on purpose) so we'd have time to explore the resort a little bit.

DSC08596.JPG

AKL is absolutely beautiful. And definitely worth a trip here if you've never been. I am vowing to ONE DAY stay here. One day.

DSC08606.JPG

DSC08604.JPG

I could get used to that view.

After exploring for a bit, we headed inside to check in for dinner! We checked in early and were seated by 5:40 for a 6pm reservation. Good thing because we were PAST ready for a nice full meal.

Boma is really a fantastic restaurant. It might seem a little "exotic" for some but there really is something for everyone. There is SO much food at the buffet. I honestly think I tried a little bit of everything...

Some evidence of the prior statement...

DSC08608.JPG DSC08610.JPG DSC08611.JPG IMG_5439.JPG

Everything was so good. This should come as a surprise to no one but Joe LOVED the zebra domes! This was a great meal. We were both feeling pretty tired during it - even our caffeinated Cokes didn't seem to be working - but we thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. It's a great post-AK meal.

After our meal, since it was still pretty early and the parks (besides AK obviously) were still open, we decided to just hop on whatever park bus came first and then take the bus from that park back to Pop. As we walked out, a HS bus seemed to be waiting for us so we hopped on that at 6:40 and arrived just a few minutes later. The Pop bus came around 7 and we were back to Pop in ten minutes which was a lot faster than we were expecting. On the bus ride, Joe and I took turns talking to his mom at probably a mile a minute telling her everything we had done.

Back at Pop, I showered and we both just relaxed (let's not kid ourselves - Joe probably watched some Sons of Anarchy...you know, it's so relatable to Disney).

It was an awesome first day. Absolutely perfect. Could it get better? Stayed tuned to find out...:wizard: (Spoiler alert - IT COULD)

Last edited:
AKL is absolutely beautiful. And definitely worth a trip here if you've never been. I am vowing to ONE DAY stay here. One day.
I stayed there years ago. It is freaken AWESOME!!! As you stated, the food is amazing and the lodge is beautiful. The pool is great. I remember swimming and a zebra was eating on the other side of the fence. HOW COOL IS THAT. Oh, a savannah view room is worth the money as well!! What a great view!

Hi

Joining in and loving your report, enthusiasm, happiness and unashamed disney love!

And totally happy your df / bf (spoiler ? ) is feeling the disney love! Looking froward to further adventures

Cathy

I am so happy you both enjoyed FOLK! I love that show. I had seen it for the first time this past summer and am excited to experience it all over again.

Too bad about you EE picture - jeez I guess some people just get a little too "excited" while in Disney:sad2:

Your dinner at Boma looks great! I look forward to trying it one day! And AKl is a great resort, I definitely recommend it!

It was my third time in January and I agree that the crowd level is perfect, but I am ready to visit in warmer weather. I want to lounge by the pool with a frozen drink!

ah your Boma photos made me so hungry!

I'm officially joining in! :wave2: What a great (and intriguing!) trip report title!

I'm super excited to visit Boma on my upcoming trip - your endorsement makes me more so! I'm also excited to re-visit the Animal Kingdom Lodge, as I haven't been there since we stayed there in 2012. It's such a beautiful resort. :cloud9:

I look forward to seeing how your first day ended. ;)

So glad you were able to still go on your trip and that your transmission didn't need fixing! I was crossing my fingers that it wouldn't be the transmission after all! Seems like Joe is really enjoying Disney - so fun when one realizes how much fun Disney can be :) Can't wait for the surprise!

sounds like a great day at AK - and hitting up both FotLK and Nemo is getting to see 2 of the better shows at WDW I think. Doing the trails if fun too - and often overlooked by people

Seems like you enjoyed your meal at Boma - definitely got your money's with with regards to variety of food at least.

AKL really is nice - just can feel so remote at times (though sounds like you did pretty good with the buses getting back to Pop)

Hi Candace!!! Just finished getting all caught up and joining in even IF you actually waited 30 minutes for Small World. :P I'll try not to hold that against you.

Even though I have no clue what your title could possibly mean :rolleyes1, I do love your love for Disney and also, ALWAYS enjoy seeing a non Disney person "get it".

How awesome! Jumping on board! From Michigan as well, we're also driving, and staynig at POP!!! We leave this June! oh and GO BLUE!!!

I stayed there years ago. It is freaken AWESOME!!! As you stated, the food is amazing and the lodge is beautiful. The pool is great. I remember swimming and a zebra was eating on the other side of the fence. HOW COOL IS THAT. Oh, a savannah view room is worth the money as well!! What a great view!

Oh my gosh AKL is amazing! One day I would love to rent DVC points and stay in the villas! I also would love to try Sanaa on our next trip (although it would pain me to not eat at Boma!). Swimming at AKL sounds...WOW amazing!!! I had never even considered how cool that would be! A stay there WILL happen one day!

Great report so far

:welcome:and thank you!!!

Hi

Joining in and loving your report, enthusiasm, happiness and unashamed disney love!

And totally happy your df / bf (spoiler ? ) is feeling the disney love! Looking froward to further adventures

Cathy

I'm so glad the Disney love is showing through! It's so exciting to write this report.

Joe is definitely feeling the love. He cannot wait to go back and we may or may not be toying with the idea of a September trip that was completely his idea. We're hoping for free dining and you should hear Joe EVERY day - "so...did they release free dining yet?"

I am so happy you both enjoyed FOLK! I love that show. I had seen it for the first time this past summer and am excited to experience it all over again.

Too bad about you EE picture - jeez I guess some people just get a little too "excited" while in Disney:sad2:

Your dinner at Boma looks great! I look forward to trying it one day! And AKl is a great resort, I definitely recommend it!

Joe still says FOTLK was one of his favorite things we did all trip! That Boma dinner was SO good - I seriously think about it almost every day :rolleyes1

It was my third time in January and I agree that the crowd level is perfect, but I am ready to visit in warmer weather. I want to lounge by the pool with a frozen drink!

ah your Boma photos made me so hungry!

When Joe and I plan our fake September trip we keep saying how nice it will be to be able to swim...instead of laying by the pool wrapped up in a towel. Just doesn't quite have the same feeling to it:headache:

I'm officially joining in! :wave2: What a great (and intriguing!) trip report title!

I'm super excited to visit Boma on my upcoming trip - your endorsement makes me more so! I'm also excited to re-visit the Animal Kingdom Lodge, as I haven't been there since we stayed there in 2012. It's such a beautiful resort. :cloud9:

I look forward to seeing how your first day ended. ;)

Yay thank you for joining in!!! I'm so excited to write more. You will LOVE Boma. It really is fantastic and there is something for everyone.

Awesome report so far! Your enthusiasm is infectious, I can't wait to read more from your trip.

Thank you!!! I can't wait to write more!

Joining in! I've got Boma on our ADRs for Sept already. Can't wait!

YAY!!! Have you been? It is AMAZING!

So glad you were able to still go on your trip and that your transmission didn't need fixing! I was crossing my fingers that it wouldn't be the transmission after all! Seems like Joe is really enjoying Disney - so fun when one realizes how much fun Disney can be :) Can't wait for the surprise!

Oh I was SO relieved it wasn't the transmission! It was quite the Christmas present - PHEW. Joe enjoying Disney made me SO happy. And he continues to talk about it ALL the time - and I LOVE it:lovestruc

sounds like a great day at AK - and hitting up both FotLK and Nemo is getting to see 2 of the better shows at WDW I think. Doing the trails if fun too - and often overlooked by people

Seems like you enjoyed your meal at Boma - definitely got your money's with with regards to variety of food at least.

AKL really is nice - just can feel so remote at times (though sounds like you did pretty good with the buses getting back to Pop)

FOTLK and Nemo were definitely two of the best shows we saw. And Boma...oh Boma. I think about it way too often. AKL is kind of remote, you're right about that. But that resort is so gorgeous, I can sacrifice proximity!

Hi Candace!!! Just finished getting all caught up and joining in even IF you actually waited 30 minutes for Small World. :P I'll try not to hold that against you.

Even though I have no clue what your title could possibly mean :rolleyes1, I do love your love for Disney and also, ALWAYS enjoy seeing a non Disney person "get it".

Hahaha! Don't think I haven't seen that Small World shirt you've worn on previous trips...:rotfl:I really debated talking about waiting that long for the ride but...uh oh...we kind of like it :blush: *hiding*

Having Joe "get it" made the trip so much better. We were just talking about best trips we've ever been on and we both agree this trip was definitely the best - although some events that occurred might have played a role in that opinion a little...!

How awesome! Jumping on board! From Michigan as well, we're also driving, and staynig at POP!!! We leave this June! oh and GO BLUE!!!

Fellow Michigander! How are you liking this back and forth weather? It drives me crazy - I'm ready for WARMTH! Have you stayed at Pop before?! You will LOVE it!!!

Great report so far! Can't wait to read what happens next ;)

Thank you so much:goodvibes!!! One of my favorite days ever is on its way...!

It'll be my third POP stay! I LOVE the resort!!! I'm a huge nostalgia nut! First on property stay for darling fiance and my service dog Disney. They're both excited about Disney!

As far as this back and forth weather, wish it would make up its mind! Please warmth come soon!!!

I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys, I want a castle.

6:40am...eh eh eh eh eh. The sounds of an alarm are only welcomed in Disney! Today, weirdest thing ever, I was EXCITED. It was MAGIC KINGDOM day!!! Some days in grad school, when I was buried in three group projects, five papers and way too much work for an intern I would let my thoughts drift to this day. Walking down Main Street with the castle ahead...ah. Also, let's be honest, there was a lot of FOOD I was looking forward to today as well. Needless to say I was EXCITED. And the most exciting part of today? I had no idea about...

DSC08615.JPG
Good morning Pop!

One of my favorite times of the day in Disney World is this time. When the air is a little crisp (okay, maybe not June-September when the air is...wet), you have a good night's rest behind you and the whole day ahead of you.

We made it to the bus stop around 7:45 and waited about 15 minutes for a bus (our bus mojo really wasn't on point this trip).

By 8:30 we saw one of the most glorious sights in the World.

IMG_5453.JPG

All the happiness.

IMG_5455.JPG

The day was beautiful. We were excited. Let's do this!!!

Good morning, GOOD MORNING!

Darn onions...

Let the memories begin!!!

IMG_5459.JPG

Here we go!!!

One thing we weren't prepared for was the Christmas decorations! I had no idea they'd still be up and even though the holidays were over, I was very happy to see the Kingdom still dressed up for them!

DSC08625.JPG

Blurry but you know the rule. Pics or it didn't happen.

IMG_5462.JPG

DSC08632.JPG

Good morning Castle!!!

IMG_5471.JPG

So much happiness!

The plan was to hit BTMR and that we did!

But first...remember the ridiculous crowds at AK? They seemed to follow us to MK...

DSC08634.JPG

DSC08643.JPG

Continued in this post

Last edited:
Rope drop it like it's hot

The long SB wait of...five minutes...told us that we should probably ride BTMR again. And so we did!

DSC08646.JPG

I was pretty bummed one of my favorite rides - Splash - was closed for refurbishment but we made up for it slightly on BTMR.

After the wildest ride in the wilderness, we decided to go hang with some Pirates. Who let us walk right on to the ride. Rope drop + January crowds = happiness.

By 9:50 we were in line for JINGLE Cruise which had a lofty five minute wait. Next we headed toward a certain mansion to visit some ghosts. HM had a FIFTEEN MINUTE SB wait. We ended up waiting less than ten minutes - our "longest" wait so far today. For our last ride before lunch we wanted something with a song that would be played repeatedly...over and over again. Hello IASW! Confession? I like this ride:flower3: Don't tell anyone.

After our busy morning, we worked up quite an appetite. We brought two boxes of granola bars with us for the trip and ate one while waiting for the bus most mornings. By lunch, then, we were STARVING. And today we were headed to Columbia Harbour House to remedy that!

DSC08670.JPG DSC08671.JPG

We gorged on the fried shrimp platter and the grilled salmon. Both were fantastic. I hadn't been here in a very long time. I usually like to have lunch at Pecos Bills but they had removed the taco salad while we were there:sad: I've heard it's back on the menu though:worship: This is going to make deciding on a QS in MK difficult on future trips. I have the same problem at HS...:rolleyes1

After some necessary refueling, we got to see the stepmother and stepsisters out meeting. There was a mom who was 'wearing' her baby in one of those baby wraps. The stepmother said to her, "I used to wear my children too. Best accessory." :rotfl2: Just amazing.

We had a FP for Peter Pan's Flight from 11:30-12:30 so at 11:50 after lunch we headed that way to fly with Peter.

On the way we had to take some obligatory castle pictures though.

IMG_5472.JPG

DSC08676.JPG

DSC08675.JPG

Joe also tried to put his muscles to use...

DSC08678.JPG

And failed.:jumping1:

After this, Joe had something on his mind he wanted to do. And it involved paying a visit to The Chapeau...

IMG_5478.JPG

Where we purchased these little beauties!

And an amazing Photopass photographer took one of my favorite pictures of the whole trip...

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_7150186681.jpg

Up next - too many Photopass pictures and so much more fun!!!

Ooooh this is the day... this is the day... :hyper:

So love the morning show. I don't always succeed, but I try to see it at least once per trip.

Crowds. :sad2:

Wow, knocking off all the rides. Gotta love January.

Hey, I will give you props for admitting you like IaSM. That's not an easy thing to admit.

Awww , that is a great photo looking at the castle. Precious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter