Searching for Disneyland History - Michael Bowling segments

AuntieKels

Mouseketeer
I absolutely love listening to the Disneyland History segments and reading the blogs Michael Bowling does for the DIS Unplugged. Thank you, Michael, for putting them together - they might even beat out Pete rants in my favorites bracket.

The only drawback is I can't seem to easily find past shows unless I know what date they aired. I wish there was a Disneyland History archive that was easily accessible for folks who aren't necessarily as interested in the modern Disneyland topics usually featured on the show. (This doesn't apply to me, I listen to every last podcast and read every blog post I can get my hands on but I find myself wanting to reread/listen to the history topics more often.)

Anyone have any tips on how to find all of that stuff in one place?

Thank you Podcast Crews and DISers!

Let me see what I can do...here's a start:

06/05/16 - Disneyland at 60: Disneyland After Walt - Part 2
04/24/16 - Disneyland Music: The Soundtrack of our Lives
03/13/16 - Disneyland at 60: Disneyland After Walt - Part 1
01/31/16 - Disneyland at 60: Happy Haunts (Finally) Materialize
11/29/15 - The Wisdom of Walt (with Jeff Barnes)
11/01/15 - Disneyland at 60: The Future Has Arrived
09/20/15 - Disneyland at 60: Living History with Ben Harris: Part 2
09/06/15 - Disneyland at 60: Living History with Ben Harris: Part 1
08/11/15 - Windows on Main Street: Van France
07/12/15 - Disneyland at 60: Disneyland & Pixie Dust
04/19/15 - Disneyland at 60: The World's Fair
03/29/15 - Kay Kamen & Mickey Mouse
02/22/15 - Windows on Main Street: Rolly Crump
01/25/15 - Disneyland at 60: The First Decade
11/06/14 - Disneyland at 60: Disneyland Hotel-Part 1 & 11/13/14 - Disneyland at 60: Disneyland Hotel-Part 2
09/11/14 - Disneyland at 60: The First Year
08/21/14 - Little Golden Books & Disney
07/17/14 - Disneyland at 60: Opening Day
06/26/14 - Lady and the Tramp
05/22/14 - Disneyland at 60: Building the Magic
04/10/14 - Animation Pioneers
03/27/14 - Disneyland at 60: Walt's Idea
02/13/14 - Walt's Olympics
01/30/14 - Disneyland at 60: Poppins
01/23/14 - Roger Rabbit's 20th
01/16/14 - A Tribute to Annette

Last edited:

11/06/14 - Disneyland at 60: Disneyland Hotel-Part 1 & 11/13/14 - Disneyland at 60: Disneyland Hotel-Part 2
I have LOVED listening to the DL at 60 shows. They're so in depth and interesting.
I also have started listening to the Rolly Crump window show and have now downloaded the rest of the above that I didn't already have. They will serve me well while laying by the pool for the next week and a half!

I'm curious: as a disney historian, is Michael's knowledge specifically about the Dosney family and Disneyland or is he as well versed in WDW too?
Would LOVE to hear a string of shows about the Florida project and each of the east coast parks and hotels and how it all fits together.
As a more recent disney parks fan, and only having visited WDW, Id love to know more history about it, and Michael is so great at the story telling

I have LOVED listening to the DL at 60 shows. They're so in depth and interesting.
I also have started listening to the Rolly Crump window show and have now downloaded the rest of the above that I didn't already have. They will serve me well while laying by the pool for the next week and a half!

I'm curious: as a disney historian, is Michael's knowledge specifically about the Dosney family and Disneyland or is he as well versed in WDW too?
Would LOVE to hear a string of shows about the Florida project and each of the east coast parks and hotels and how it all fits together.
As a more recent disney parks fan, and only having visited WDW, Id love to know more history about it, and Michael is so great at the story telling

I know that Michael is at D23 for the next few days so he may not get around to this question soon. I've met Michael and Carol in person several times and they are both really great folks. Since they live in CA (and were raised there as far as I know) their Disney focus is mainly out there but they do visit WDW regularly as well.

I would also love to hear a string of shows about the Florida project and how the parks and resorts all fit together. @DisneyKevin has quite a bit of background in that area so maybe he's a good person to do such a segment.

Thank you so much for your positive comments about my Disney history segments. There are so many fascinating stories about Walt Disney and how his animators, Film makers, artists and Imagineers brought his visions to life, and I enjoy sharing them with you. I believe knowing the stories behind the theme parks, attractions, resorts and films enhances our enjoyment and appreciation for them.

Since I am part of The DIS Disneyland Team, my focus is on Disneyland and The Walt Disney Family Museum. However, stay tuned for some news later in the year that I believe you will find interesting.

Michael

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your positive comments about my Disney history segments. There are so many fascinating stories about Walt Disney and how his animators, Film makers, artists and Imagineers brought his visions to life, and I enjoy sharing them with you. I believe knowing the stories behind the theme parks, attractions, resorts and films enhances our enjoyment a d appreciation for them.

Since I am part of The DIS Disneyland Team, my focus is on Disneyland and The Walt Disney Family Museum. However, stay tuned for some news later in the year that I believe you will find interesting.

Michael
Thanks Michael! Can't wait for your next Disneyland at 60 segment!!

09/20/15 - Disneyland at 60: Living History with Ben Harris: Part 2
09/06/15 - Disneyland at 60: Living History with Ben Harris: Part 1
08/11/15 - Windows on Main Street: Van France

Updated

Have really enjoyed Michael's new podcast. And will now go back and check out and recheck out the ones at Disneyland. As someone who is always intrigued by how the Parks came to be this is another program that is right in my ball park.

Hello Princess Jes! I couldn't really respond to your message with anything specific at the time of your posting, but I hope you have been enjoying me and Craig on The DIS Unplugged Connecting with Walt Podcast.

Hello Princess Jes! I couldn't really respond to your message with anything specific at the time of your posting, but I hope you have been enjoying me and Craig on The DIS Unplugged Connecting with Walt Podcast.
Hi Michael!
I sure have enjoyed it so far!!
I haven't listened to episode 3 yet but I'm looking forward to the more wdw specific focused content!
Also loving Craig's enthusiasm for the show! He's awesome and I love him on all the shows, but there seems to be a spark in him for this series and it's contagious!!

I'm constantly blown away by Michael's encyclopedia-like knowledge and his ability to weave it together so eloquently. He's in the Holy Trinity of Disney historians with Jim Hill and Jim Korkis.

Ever thought about writing a book?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!